Linux-Hardware Digest #835, Volume #9            Thu, 25 Mar 99 18:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Re: Creative Sound Blaster (**Nick Brown)
  Re: LILO (Matthew Callaway)
  Re: Best Linux Web Server, anyone? ("Charles Burnaford")
  Sportster Internal ISDN setup (Todd Hollinger)
  Re: Hard Drive Limitations ("Ton v.d. Wouden")
  sound card setup - HELP (Lee Bennett)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     falls flat)
(Zenin)
  Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux ("Marc Lindahl/Sonorus")
  LILO on /dev/sda6 (ASUS P2B-DS, 2xSCSI disk) (Vincent Zocca)
  Re: Watchdog Timer ("Curt")
  Re: Dual PPro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Q:Video capture for Linux ("David Jonsson")
  Re: wanted scrap (Bruce Bretschneider)
  Turtle Beach Montego support in kernel 2.2.4? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Confused about SCSI install (Bryan Tonnet)
  Re: Q: Linux & MVP3 chipset OK? (Byron A Jeff)
  freeamp (Greg Smethells)
  KPPP and USR TA] (root)
  Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux (Wolf)
  Using make menuconfig (Christian D Freet)
  Re: linux or win98 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sportster Internal ISDN setup (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=EBl?= M.)
  Re: Using make menuconfig (Daniel Robert Franklin)
  Re: Nec 4X4 CD Shuffler? (Dave Downing)

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Sound Blaster
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:46:30 +0100

You might see if your local computer shop has a second-hand SB16 ISA
non-Plug-n-play.  This is the definitive sound card for most systems,
and just _works_.  Plus, at www.creaf.com, they have a nice archive with
pictures and pinouts of every card Creative has ever shipped, so setting
jumpers etc is no problem, even if the card comes with nothing.

Martin Booth wrote:
> I am looking for a sound card and I have spotted three that *should* be
> supported from Linux (I guess that they are from the Sound-HOWTO) as
> well as dos, but is this true. The last one, and most expensive is
> supported (at least from information in this newsgroup) but the first
> two? Do they use fundamentally the same hardware? The one's I'm thinking
> of are:

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: Matthew Callaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: LILO
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:43:55 -0600

Give some more details.  What is the tertiary IDE?  A Zip drive?  Another hard
drive?  Where do you put LILO? On the MBR or the first cylinder of the
partition?

LILO cannot see past the 1024th cylinder, so for a partition on a big drive, you
must make sure to put LILO on the MBR, or have the Linux partition being before
the 1024th cylinder.

If it's removable, like Jaz or Zip drive, then you probably have to specify some
options upon boot. I've never used these, but there are Howto's for them.

Matt

------------------------------

From: "Charles Burnaford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Web Server, anyone?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:56:49 -0500

I prefer Apache 1.3.3 or 1.3.4 with PHP3 and MOD_PERL installed.  It seems
to work well on REDHAT 5.2 and SuSE 6.0.

The above mentioned modules are so that I can access my MYSQL databases.

Charles

------------------------------

From: Todd Hollinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sportster Internal ISDN setup
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:24:56 -0800

Can anyone please point me in the right direction
for setting up a Sportster ISDN adapter for Linux?
I check and it said that it was compatible with
Linux.  Now I just don't have a clue as to how and
get it to work.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

------------------------------

From: "Ton v.d. Wouden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Limitations
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:18:25 +0100

Allen Wong wrote:

> The BIOS on my Micronics motherboard does not recognize hard drives
> larger than 3.2GB.  I remember reading somewhere that this doesn't
> really matter with Linux.  According to what I read, the BIOS may not be
> able to detect anything beyond 3.2GB, but Linux does not suffer from
> these limitations.  Is this true?  Thanks.

The Kernel has several ways to find out the harddisk parameters
depends on the kernel version. The first is i believe by a
ATA_identify call to the device.

if you take a installation bootdisk the disks identified
will be listed durring boot (speaking for slackware) like

hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL ST2.1A, 2014MB w/81kB Cache, CHS=1023/64/63, UDMA

which tells enough of how the kernel will see it

Succes,

Ton.

--
E-Mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For replying, please remove the "NoSpam4" from my addres

------------------------------

From: Lee Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card setup - HELP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:57:55 GMT

==============21CE2E3EA8CCC99C2D33FF9C

Hi

Iam running Suse Linux 6

I have a PC Chips motherboard (M590) with integrated 3D sound onboard. I
can get sound to work if I use the OSS version 3.9.2, however I only
have a demo copy that will run for 20 minutes at a time. OSS detects the
Sound chip as a Generic CM18330 PnP. Does anyone know if there is kernel
support under 2.0.36 for 2.2 for this chip set. The sound chip set is
Windows sound system and SB16 compatible but I can't get these to work.

Reply to:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============21CE2E3EA8CCC99C2D33FF9C

Hi
I can get sound to work if I use the OSS version 3.9.2, however I only
have a demo copy that will run for 20 minutes at a time. OSS detects the
Sound chip as a Generic CM18330 PnP. Does anyone know if there is kernel
support under 2.0.36 for 2.2 for this chip set. The sound chip set is Windows
sound system and SB16 compatible but I can't get these to work.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Reply to:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:58:22 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Steve Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Zenin wrote:
:>         Sorry, complex systems require training.  Even simple systems
:>         require training.
:
: True, true, but the whole point of computerization is to make labor saving
: devices.

        Do not make the mistake that "easy to learn" means that it is
        "efficient to use".

        I prefer CLI for many tasks *BECAUSE* it saves me quite a bit of
        labor.  Even very common, simple things like:

        $ for file in `find . -name '*.html'`; do $EDITOR $file; done

        Is that an "easy to learn" interface?  No, not at all.  However,
        once it's learned it saves *TONS* of labor.  And no, the above can
        not *in any way* be done in an "easy to learn" interface simply
        because next week I'll want to do:

        $ for dir in `find . -type d`; do
        > mkdir $dir/icons
        > for image in `find $dir -name '*.jpg'`; do
        > convert -geometry 64x64 $image $dir/icons/`basename $image`
        > done
        > done

        You can make all the easy to learn GUI tools you like, but they will
        *never* be more efficient or labor saving to use for many (most?)
        tasks then similar CLI tools, simple because it is *impossible* for
        you or anyone else to keep up with the needs of the user from one
        minute to the next.

        And yes, I and thousands of other "archaic" CLI users do type stuff
        like the above off the top of our heads on command lines all day
        long.  Most of us are not "programmers" or "expert computer users"
        by any stretch either.

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])           From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC

------------------------------

From: "Marc Lindahl/Sonorus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.music.misc,rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:01:30 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr
Freeze) wrote:

>Poked around and saw nothing? Looks like Sonorus has their hands full
>with their Win NT drivers release. Oh well.

Check http://www.sonorus.com/press.html for the press release.  The driver
itself on OpenSound's web site.

Marc Lindahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
president, Sonorus Inc.
http://www.sonorus.com

------------------------------

From: Vincent Zocca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: LILO on /dev/sda6 (ASUS P2B-DS, 2xSCSI disk)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:05:39 GMT

Hi,

I have a problem with LILO. I want to have it on /dev/sda6 and let it
boot /dev/sda2 (W98) and /dev/sda3 (NT4).

This doesn't work on my system with ASUS P2B-DS and two SCSI disks.

What happens is that when configuread as meant (/dev/sd6 active, LILO on
/dev/sda6), the system won't boot.

When I install LILO on /dev/sda things look better. Linux boots fine.
NT4 however, starts a boot sequence but the gives me the BSOD with some
message that it coudn't find the boot device. Ok, silly NT4.

I think I have RTFM. But I still don't know what's going on. If you
know, by all means, speak your mind!!

Right now I have NT4's boot manager successfully configured to boot the
three OSes but I feel -say- akward with this situation. I include a
summary of my configuration.

Cheers,
Vincent Zocca
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

###################################
cat /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/sda or boot=/dev/sda6
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
        read-only
other=/dev/sda2
        label=w98
        table=/dev/sda
other=/dev/sda3
        label=nt4
        table=/dev/sda
###################################
fdisk /dev/sda
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1106.
This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1106 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             1       70   562243+  ff  BBT
/dev/sda2            71      140   562275    6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/sda3   *       141      210   562275    7  OS/2 HPFS
/dev/sda4           211     1106  7197120    5  Extended
/dev/sda5           961     1106  1172745   83  Linux native
/dev/sda6           921      950   240943+  83  Linux native
/dev/sda7           951      960    80325   83  Linux native

Command (m for help):
###################################
fdisk /dev/sda
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1106.
This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1106 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1       70   562243+  ff  BBT
/dev/sdb2            71      140   562275    6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/sdb3           141      210   562275    7  OS/2 HPFS
/dev/sdb4           211     1106  7197120    5  Extended
/dev/sdb5           961     1106  1172745   83  Linux native
/dev/sdb6           946      960   120487+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb7           921      945   200781   83  Linux native

Command (m for help):
###################################

------------------------------

From: "Curt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Watchdog Timer
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:16:13 -0500

We considered this too.  Although our linux servers have worked so
well we are not sure we need it now.
These guys claim to support linux.  http://www.berkprod.com &
http://www.etinc.com/watchdog.htm

I looked at another brand, I can't find thier page at the moment.
They gave enough detail that the 'driver' would be very simple.
Since it was not interrupt driven, only a read or write to a io port
was required every 5 minutes or so.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dual PPro
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:36:17 GMT

Reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: When will 2.2.x be
officially released?  I like to stick with RedHat releases, but I am also
running a dual PPro and would like to move forward.  I just don't want the
pain of running beta software :-)

Craig

From: "David Jonsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q:Video capture for Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:34:47 +0100

William Burrow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 18 Mar 1999 00:25:18 GMT,
> Human <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Anyone know what or which hardware did Linux support doing video
> >capture?  Like Tekram C210, Flyview Video, Winview 601....etc.etc...  And
> >any application can make use of them?  I know the Matrox rainbow runner
> >won't work, but what is other choice?!?
>
> See:
>
> http://www.exploits.org/v4l/

Is it possible to get the RGB or Yuv components? Point me to some
sourcecode.

David

------------------------------

From: Bruce Bretschneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.aptiva,alt.comp.hardware.superdisk,cn.bbs.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ib
Subject: Re: wanted scrap
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:32:06 -0800

You might be able to sell your stuff through R.S.T. in Hudson, NH on
Route 3A.  They supposedly handle electronic scrap and sell used
computer parts.  I have bought used parts from them on several occasions
when I lived in Londonderry.

Bruce Bretschneider

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Turtle Beach Montego support in kernel 2.2.4?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:42:04 GMT

  I read that the 2.2.4 kernel added some new device support.  I'm dying to
get sound from the Turtle Beach Montego card that shipped in my Dell XPS
system. How can I find out if support for my sound card was included in
v2.2.4? Thanks, Stephen

From: Bryan Tonnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Confused about SCSI install
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:21:49 +1000

I want to build a RedHat 5.2 machine with an eXtreme 1100 SCSI host
adapter (dual channel, 32Mb, RAID support, LVD support, yum, yum).

I got Leonard Zubkoff's beta driver for this beast, but I don't really
understand how to implement it on a virgin machine.  I can probably
compile it into a 4.2 machine I already have, and make a bootable floppy
from that.  Mr Kubkoff also kindly includes a statically linked lilo and
fdisk.

So I have a boot disk (assuming no caveats for the driver on 2.0.27),
and after booting, I can fdisk the drives.  From there, I get nervous :)

I don't have a RedHat 5.2 copy yet ('cause I don't have the hardware
yet) and I don't know what will be involved in running the installation
from a foreign boot diskette.  I'd like to be somewhat clear beforehand,
as my choices are SCO or Linux for this machine.  Whilst it's only
piffling $$ to find out about Linux, if I know in advance, it'll save me
some time.

Thanks for any insightful suggestions or RTFM pointers.

Bryan Tonnet

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: Q: Linux & MVP3 chipset OK?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 15:41:03 -0500

Posted and Mailed.

In article <7dchq9$d01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Core Dump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-Hi:
-
-     I want to install RedHat 5.2 on my system, which is a K6-2 with FIC
-VA-503+ MB.  Will there be any problem?  My main concern is the VIA MVP3
-chipset on my MB.

No problem at all. I have several machines using the same setup.

BAJ
-
-Thanks !
-
-

------------------------------

From: Greg Smethells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: freeamp
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:55:11 +0000

Has anyone had trouble with the software "freeamp", the mp3 player?
I've not been able to get it to recognize x11, hence there is no GUI to
the player.
The ./config  stage of the install always logs that I don't have x11
when I have KDE
up and running just fine. The /usr/local/bin has a freeamp executable.
But that will complain
about:

No UI plugin in '.:~/.freeamp:/usr/local/lib/freeamp' matched 'plugins/'
or 'plugins/.ui'

which I assume is due to not being able to "see" x11.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Greg

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KPPP and USR TA]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:48:05 +0000

==============5DF658CBE7CCCC6529206162

==============5DF658CBE7CCCC6529206162

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:46:49 +0000
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup

 Hello

I'm writting from France so don't take care if my English is not
perfect.

I'm trying to install a UST TA   ISDN card. I've recompiled the kernel
and the module hisax.
Using Kppp (KDE 1.0.1) I can see my card, the ATI commands responds
normally. If I want to connect
everything goes well until the message "connecting to network" Kppp says
that he run pppd and nothing occurs. after a while, I can see: "Time out
expired on waiting the ppp interface to come up!"

What is amazing, is that sometimes, it works well and I can connect. I
ve got less than 10% succesfull connection. If I use my USR Sporterflash
on cua0, everything goes well every time!!!

Does anybody have an idea?

Thank you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolf)
Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
Date: 25 Mar 1999 11:19:03 -0500

Well, I too have to go in as saying that the main reason I have NOT
considered moving away from my Akai DR4 recorder to a computer based
system is because it would mean running MacOS or Windows.  There are
times when I would like to be able to do some of the non-linear
editing that a computer based system would provide.  I do not
mind purchasing the software and audio hardware to perform the recording
and editing, but I certainly do mind having to purchase a poorly designed
and executed OS such as Windows to be able to use it.

To me Windows is the Alesis 3630 of operating sytems.  It sort of
works, if you really know how to massage it and tweak it you can even
occasionally get some good work out of it.

I would not want to trust a personal or client's project to Windows.
One artist who I was working with in getting demo tracks cut decided
that they were too impatient to let the Akai do it's mixdown (4-6
minutes) between tracks and invested in a minimal Protools setup for
their G3 based Mac.  So now he spends time running DiskDoctor, repairing
corrupted audio files and ends up playing with the infinately variable
combination of plug-ins after each track.  It's not a bad system when
it works but the only time my Akai ever failed was when the hard disk
physically quit...MacOS 8 is better than Windows but I still don't like
the way things just stop working for no apparent reason...

I love the power that the computer workstation can give you, and
over the past year or so I've become very confident in Linux to do
what I want when I want (I have machines that are up for 3-4 months
between reboots, and not just sitting idle either...usually if I
do reboot it's because the power went off for longer than the UPS's
battery reserve).  I would have a lot more faith in a Linux based
audio workstation than I do in a Windows or Mac based one...

--
Wolf

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian D Freet)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Using make menuconfig
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:06:18 GMT

I have read about reconfiguring the kernel, and I wish to do so.  BUT, I can't figure
out how
to use the "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" commands... when used, I get a message
saying
"no rule defined [etc.]"

What can I do?  What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: linux or win98
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:26:37 GMT

Hey man, be a glutton.  Dual Boot Windows 98 and Linux. Personally I would
recommend SuSE 6.0, because it comes with StarOffice(Oh yea, it is free with
the retail edition or download it at http://www.stardivision.com)which will
generate any MS Office 97 document.

Linux Man!@!

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=EBl?= M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sportster Internal ISDN setup
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:10:13 +0100

If you've got the USR TA, juste recompile the kernel with the right ISDN
parameters, such as support USR TA as a module, compile the modules and
run it with "modprobe hisax"
take care of adding some information in the /etc/conf.modules  file such
as:

type=16 irq=xx io=0x268

don't forget also to put the correct init script fot ttyIo   :
ATZ&ExxxxS14=3

good luck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Robert Franklin)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Using make menuconfig
Date: 25 Mar 99 22:08:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian D Freet) writes:

>I have read about reconfiguring the kernel, and I wish to do so.  BUT, I can't figure
>out how
>to use the "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" commands... when used, I get a message
>saying
>"no rule defined [etc.]"

Make sure you have everything installed as per the kernel source.
Essentially, this includes:

1) The kernel source (e.g.
mirror.aarnet.edu.au/linux/kernel/v2.2/linux-2.2.4.tar.gz) This gets
uncompressed into /usr/src:

cd /usr/src ; tar zxvf linux-2.2.4.tar.gz

2) A functional C compiler (gcc 2.7.2.3 is usually recommnended)

3) Binutils version 2.8.1.0.23 or later (ld -v will tell you)

4) bin86 tools (as86 and ld86 for making the bootsector).

5) A recent version of GNU make.

Basically just read /usr/src/linux/README and /usr/src/linux/Documentation
and make sure you have all the required bits and pieces. Then just cd
/usr/src/linux and type make menuconfig, selecting the stuff you want.
Exit & save, then type make dep ; make zImage. Copy the file
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to /vmlinuz, rerun lilo, and you're
basically done! Reboot and you should have a new kernel.

If this is the first time you've ever tried this, I would suggest reading
the relevant HOWTOs several times *first*.

- Daniel
*       Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Dave Downing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nec 4X4 CD Shuffler?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 22:16:45 GMT

Dan Falk wrote:

> Does anybody have any info on getting a cd shuffler ( an IDE/ATAPI NEC
> 4X4 ) to work with RH5.2?
>
> Thanks,

Yes.  You need to have eject loaded to select the drive you want to
mount.
For instance, to load the 2nd slot you would use 'eject -c2'.  Then you
do
the standard mount /dev/cdrom, /dev/hdc, etc.

I used to have a clever Xwindows app that would let you click on the
drive
you wanted to select, but it got away from me.  It's out there on the web

somewhere.

Dave