Linux-Hardware Digest #869, Volume #9            Mon, 29 Mar 99 18:13:27 EST

Contents:
  NEWBIE:Iomega ZIP SCSI Insider ("Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634)")
  Re: Linux on E-Machine... (Thomas Keats)
  Similiar: HELP !!! How to reconstruct FAT32-Partition ?! ("Carsten")
  Re: Think Pad 560 (M. Kokaly)
  Re: How fast is your HD? (Thomas Dorris)
  Re: minicom (Andrew Comech)
  matrox mga-200 sd 8m agp ("alessandro")
  Re: Can SiS6215 be configured in SVGA mode? ("Jean-Pierre LE GALL")
  Re: Hardware problem? (Andrew Comech)
  CD-RW Yamaha CRW4416 (Paolo Nason)
  linux on PC/104 (Holger Blinzinger)
  minicom ("Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634)")
  Re: Creative DVD-ROM ("John B")
  Re: Iiyama VisionMaster 19" (Andreas Heiduk)
  Re: matrox mga-200 sd 8m agp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SIS 530 AGP motherboard and Xfree ("Erik")
  Best Data Modem (was Re: LT Winmodem)? ("Brian Wildasinn")
  Re: How fast is your HD? (Sergio Brandano)
  Re: Middle Mouse Button ("M.C. van den Bovenkamp")
  Re: Best Data internal modem (was LT Winmodem?) ("Brian Wildasinn")
  Which is the best X-Server for ATI Rage IIC card? ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Re: pppd still dies with out warning! (Thomas Lemm)
  Analog CPU ? (Mark Lee)
  Ultra SCSI disk on Fast SCSI Controller? (Grant McLean)
  Re: Analog CPU ? (Michael David Jones)
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (Thomas Keats)
  Re: Analog CPU ? (Holger Bruns)

From: "Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEWBIE:Iomega ZIP SCSI Insider
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:45:10 +0100

Hi all,

Just installed SuSE 6.0 (2.0.36 Kernel) and it works great BUT I am
having trouble accessing my Internal ZIP drive.

It is an Iomega ZIP SCSI Insider.

How should I start ?!! (very vague question I know but I have only just
started with Linux)

There are a couple of posts earlier on that mention things similar to:

mkfs -t msdos /dev/fdd4
mount /dev/fdd4 /mnt

but all the replies seem to relate to parallel port ZIP or ZIP's on the
IDE.
How does it differ having a SCSI ZIP ???

Should I try and mount it like a normal SCSI drive ? (note: I have no
SCSI drives / cards in my system {apart from the ZIP} - only EIDE)

Any help would be appreciated

Ian.

PS: I note that in the SuSE manual it talks about improvements supplied
by the 2.2.x kernels and in particular support for removable media
??????? - ie. they are treated as normal SCSI drives

System:

P133, 64Mb RAM i430VX chipset with award BIOS.
Quantum Fireball 1.2Gb IDE
Matrox Mystique (158MHz RAMDAC, 4Mb)
Pioneer 10X CD (IDE)

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on E-Machine...
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 05:26:31 -0500

Kurt Thams wrote:

> Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >I have a Cyrix M II 266 MMX emachine. with RedHat 5.2 installed.
>
> (snip)
>
> I have been attempting to get an e-machine to run Linux,
> with varying success. (I'm on a 333k etower), currently attempting
> with Mandrake 5.3, but I've also tried RedHat 5.2.
>
> One of the most annoying problems is that during install,
> various packages fail, with the following type of message:
>
> unpacking of archive failed on file (null): 3: Bad file descriptor
>         cannot open RPM file kdegames-1.1-0.2finalrh5x.i386.rpm: Bad file descriptor
>
> What is weird is that this happens on different packages each
> install. I suspected the CD-ROM, but I've gotten the same
> results with other CDs.
>
> Any clues?

 If you can, try another cdrom first, i know it sounds silly, but i have 2 different
cdroms that are picky on the cd's, and the cd can be new, or used, and it will refuse
take data off any given sector, it will work, then boom, failures et al..

(one is a old 4x and the other is a newer 18x)

------------------------------

From: "Carsten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Similiar: HELP !!! How to reconstruct FAT32-Partition ?!
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:19:32 +0200

Hi,  I had the same problem, but I screwd my extended partition with that
nasty Partition Magic 3.0 Program.  Probably I was fooling around with
DOS-fdisk, Linux-fdisk and PQMAGIC at the same time.    I did a complete
Backup (luckily I had all the important stuff on the Linux partition which
was easy to reconstruct).  I'd be interested if someone knows an answer to
your question.

Carsten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Kokaly)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Think Pad 560
Date: 29 Mar 1999 17:08:30 GMT

Yes it will.  If he goes to the support section and chooses 560 or 560e
and chooses the right model number (specifically the last three digits/
letters).

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dorris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How fast is your HD?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:32:30 +0000

Sergio Brandano wrote:

> I see. I have infact 128Mb of RAM.
> How do you specify 256Mb in hdparm? (I could not find the flag)

Sorry.  Upon further investigation, it seems hdparm takes steps to get
around the buffering issue.  If you're using hdparm, then I suspect the
numbers you get back are fairly accurate.  I'm very curious what Seagate
harddrive Morgan was using when he got these numbers, though:

> Seagate 2gig UW:
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  16 MB in  0.49 seconds =32.65 MB/sec

ThomasD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: minicom
Date: 29 Mar 1999 12:29:37 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634) wrote:
>All,
>
>(Not another question surely ?!)
>
>I am trying to set up my PPP connection using minicom.  The modem works
>fine, it dials out and connects BUT the minicom terminal is
>PAINFULLY slow.  I type in AT DT <phone number> <CR> and it takes about
>a minute to actually appear on the screen !
>I hear the modem connect and again I have to wait about 30s - 60s for
>the Login Prompt to appear !
>
>Is this normal or am I going wrong somewhere ????

This is *normal* if you have an IRQ conflict. Make sure you are not
using the same IRQ for more than one device; do  cat /proc/interrupts
and setserial -g /dev/ttyS*  and then see how this agrees with the
settings on your modem card. Most likely you will catch a shared IRQ.

>My modem is a SupraExpress 33.6i (was a 28.8i but I upgraded the chip)
>internal PCI.

This is very... unusual. It would look to be the first(?) almost-success
story about using a PCI modem with Linux, but I am not sure whether
V.34 PCI modems exist _at all_. Are you _positive_ you have a 33.6
modem with PCI (not ISA) interface?..

>PS: is there another type of terminal program I can use to interrogate
>my modem with ?

I guess it is called seygon or something. But you are likely to
have the same problems unless you change modem's (or somebody else's)
IRQ.

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: "alessandro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: matrox mga-200 sd 8m agp
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:17:42 +0200

how configuration for serverX of redhat 5.2 (Apollo)
thanks
alex

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Pierre LE GALL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can SiS6215 be configured in SVGA mode?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:23:54 +0200

    YES, it works ! (with some red hat) with XFree86 3.3.2

SiS 6215C PCI with ADI ProVista E40

 With XF86Setup you have to choose SVGA and card SiS86C201
Chipset SiS 86C205
Options I have are: fast-dram,noaccel,pci-burst-on
Video RAM 2 Mb

Now about your monitor you have to know what are your Sync rates
You validate 16 bpp as default with your screen sizes.

    You should have only to confirm and save the configuration.

Good luck !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Hardware problem?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 12:39:19 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, kahocg wrote:
>I've installed Linux in a i486 mechine. After I configured the xwindow
>and try to start running it,
>the screen went blank and the system halted. Since I can get any error
>message for a blank screen, can anayone think of any related issue???

Hi,
first, try to just kill the xserver with ALT-CTRL-BackSpace;
maybe it just can not start properly.

This basically looks as a wrong XF86Config file. Try to rerun xf86config
or fancier XF86Setup and make sure everything looks OK.
In any case, if you specify _generic VGA card_ and _generic VGA monitor_
to be used with XF86_VGA16 (or better XF86_SVGA) server, then everything
should work.

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Paolo Nason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-RW Yamaha CRW4416
Date: 29 Mar 1999 13:07:34 +0200

Hello,
I would like to know if this piece of hardware can be made to work
under Linux...

Best regards

--
Paolo Nason, INFN, sez. di Milano
Dip. di Fisica, Universita' degli Studi di Milano,

------------------------------

From: Holger Blinzinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on PC/104
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:07:46 +0200

Anyone here who tried installing linux on a PC/104-module?
I'm planning on booting from a flash disk. What do I have to pay
attention to?
What about Kernel-modifications?

------------------------------

From: "Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: minicom
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:44:56 +0100

All,

(Not another question surely ?!)

I am trying to set up my PPP connection using minicom.  The modem works
fine, it dials out and connects BUT the minicom terminal is
PAINFULLY slow.  I type in AT DT <phone number> <CR> and it takes about
a minute to actually appear on the screen !
I hear the modem connect and again I have to wait about 30s - 60s for
the Login Prompt to appear !

Is this normal or am I going wrong somewhere ????

My modem is a SupraExpress 33.6i (was a 28.8i but I upgraded the chip)
internal PCI.

I am using SuSE 6.0 (2.0.36 Kernel)

Any help appreciated.

Ian.

From: "John B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative DVD-ROM
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:34:16 +0100

Linux seems to read the UFS discs no problem, you can read the files,
although not do a lot with them and it also reports the size okay too !

BTW I run Read Hat 5.2 on a bit of a messy 2.036 kernel

    John B

Simone Figlie' wrote in message <7diu6e$5et$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>does anyone know if linux use the creative dvd player as a ral dvd player,
>or just as a normal cd-rom? (e.g. can i watch my dvd movies under linux?
and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Heiduk)
Subject: Re: Iiyama VisionMaster 19"
Date: 29 Mar 1999 21:31:09 GMT

Hi!

I was using my VisionMaster 450 at a resolution of 1600x1200 with this
modeline:

Modeline "1600x1200" 216 1600 1684 1876 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync

My graphic board is a Matrox Millenium II with 4MB and a 250 MHz RAMDAC.
Technically there were no problems, but the resolution is too high in my
eyes ( :-) ).

Vincent Cunniffe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Hi...
:
: I've been using my Iiyama under X for a while now, and I can get
: it to 12x10 easily enough, but not all the way up to 1600x1200,
: which is a bit annoying.
:
: Does anyone have the modelines for this monitor (it's not the
: Pro version, btw), to drive it on those modes?
:
: It's being used with a Matrox Millennium II 8MB PCI graphics
: [...]

Andreas Heiduk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: matrox mga-200 sd 8m agp
Date: 29 Mar 1999 18:01:10 GMT

alessandro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: how configuration for serverX of redhat 5.2 (Apollo)

I had to get the latest version of XFree, available in rpm format from
redhat.com, in order to get my marvel 200-TV to work well.

After upgrading the XFree s/w it's then a case of running Xconfigurator to
generate the config file.

IAP
--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'

------------------------------

From: "Erik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS 530 AGP motherboard and Xfree
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:03:17 +0200

Yes, the SiS6326 is supported by XF86. I have a videocard with this same
chipset and it works fine. However, it is not supported by the XF86-VGA
server, but only by the XF86-SVGA server. Be sure that you have the latest
version of XF86 (that is 3.3.3.1) because SiS6326 is not supported by
earlier versions (you can download the latest version at www.XFree86.org).

But that's not all. If you configure XWindows with Xconfigurator and select
the SiS6326 in the cardlist, it wil not work correctly right away. You will
have to make some changes manually in the /etx/X11/XF86config file. First of
all change the Device-section. It should something like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier           "Leadtek Winfast 3D S700"
    VendorName  "Leadtek"
    BoardName    "Winfast 3D S700"
    Chipset            "SiS6326"
    VideoRam        4096
    Option             "sw_cursor"
EndSection

For Identifier, Vend.Name and BoardName you can fill in everything you like.
The things that are important are adding the Chipset, right amount of
VideoRam and the Option "sw_cursor".

Second, you 'll have to make some changes in the Screen-section and the
Screen-subsections Display. The device name should be made equal to the
identifier in the Device-section. In all of the Display subsections you'll
have to add two options:
        Option "no_bitblt"
        Option "no_imageblt"
If you did this the Screen-section should look something like this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver          "svga"
    Device        "Leadtek Winfast 3D S700"
    Monitor       "Royal"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Option "no_bitblt"
        Option "no_imageblt"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Option "no_bitblt"
        Option "no_imageblt"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

I hope this will be useful, good luck...

Erik Akkermans

Tetsu heeft geschreven in bericht <36fea842$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Brian Wildasinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Best Data Modem (was Re: LT Winmodem)?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:10:21 -0000

From: Sergio Brandano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:23:23 +0100

Thomas Dorris wrote:

> morgan wrote:
>
> > Seagate 2gig UW:
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  16 MB in  0.49 seconds =32.65 MB/sec
> > Why is the seagate so much faster than the IBM drives?
>
> Holy smoking hard drive, Bat Man!  How much memory does each system have
> and what tool(s) did you use to perform the tests?  I'm sure you know
> this already, but most disk IO benchmarks need to be run with a
> read/write size twice that of the real memory.  Otherwise, you'll just
> be testing the in memory transfer rates of the OS.
>
> For example, on my IBM 9ES 4.5 gig U2 drives, if I specify a 128meg file
> size to Bonnie, the results are 40 MB/sec block reads.  However, when I
> specify 256meg, I get a more realistic number around 12.5 MB/sec.
>
> Thomas Dorris

 I see. I have infact 128Mb of RAM.
How do you specify 256Mb in hdparm? (I could not find the flag)

 Sergio

------------------------------

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Middle Mouse Button
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:19:21 +0200

"Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634)" wrote:

> But, before I do, does this function work with SuSE linux 6.0 and kde ?

Yes.

> Also, I note that when you CTRL-CLICK on an xterm I can't get one of the
> menus to appear (I normally CTRL-MIDDLE click to get this on my HP)
> Will this be solved by a three button mouse ?

Yes, it will, but what also works (or should work anyway) is enabling
'Emulate3Buttons' in your XF86Config. Clicking both buttons on your
2-button mouse will then be equivalent to the third (middle) button on a
3-button one.

                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BZK 32
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724
        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Brian Wildasinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Data internal modem (was LT Winmodem?)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:20:16 -0000

Rob Clark wrote in message ...
>In article <7dghk8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Brian Wildasinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Will this other modem work in any version of Unix, such as
>>Linux or BSD? I'm looking at the modem card right now
>>and the green laminate says,

By the way, this is a VESA slot internal modem.

>>>    Model 56FQ/ 56VFQ
>>>    tested to comply with FCC standards,
>>>    for home or office use
>>>
>>>    The big chip sticker says,
>>>
>>>    Trade Name: Smart One
>>>    Models: 56SP/56VF/56F
>
>I'm not familiar with the 56FQ model, but the 56SF/56SPS has been
>reported to work with Linux (and therefore the rest of the non-Windows
>x86 world).  The 56FW is a winmodem.

How do I get it recognised? My Win98 doesn't even find it when
probed in "Add Hardware" or whatever in the system manager.
Is there a modem probe for Linux or BSD? My hardware
is ASUS 440bx PII 350 with 5 PCI and 4 VESA slots.

Brian

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Which is the best X-Server for ATI Rage IIC card?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:28:28 -0500

I just picked up a used Compaq Deskpro EP (Pentium II 300 MHz) at a computer
flea market.

It has an ATI Rage IIC (2 MB) video card.  Which is the best X-Server to use
with it?

I have tried the SVGA, and some of the other ATI ones but I get distortion
on the right side of the screen when I move the mouse, especially if the
mouse is on the right side of the screen.

 Jim and Monika Orfanakos
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://home.adelphia.net/~djo3

From: Thomas Lemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd still dies with out warning!
Date: 29 Mar 1999 11:26:24 GMT

Watcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: the log tells me " ppp0<-->cua1
:                         "modem hang up"
: just like that, at first it told me the pap acript failed, but i fixed that.

: but what does ifconfig have to do with internet? i thought it dealt with
: NIC's only
Ifconfig (or netstat -rn) will tell you what devices are "up" on your
computer to connect to other computers. Usually without being networked only one
device is up - the loopback device. But when pppd makes its connection it
will register the ppp0 device being up. That's what pppd is for. Just to
bring the ppp0 device up. So when this is up you cannot blame connection
problems on pppd but anything else.

You really should paste some log file content into the newsgroup so we can
actually see what's going on.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: Mark Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc
Subject: Analog CPU ?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:52:43 -0500

Hi

I was just handed a photocopy of an article about an analog CPU
replacement for the Pentium II's? Is this real or is this just a joke.
The article came from 'Electronics Now April 99' and claimed that an
analog computer CPU existed (Ecraf Techn.) and is pin compatible with
the PII's and that it was a 4000 time improvement over the PII with a
ridiculus 900000 MHz clock rate. Using a standard ASUS motherboard and
analog RAM (4G from Diamondback electronics) and standard 4G Harddrive
(with the analog system it was increased to 1600G). So does this exist ?
I did a prelimanry web search and found no info on either Ecraf Tech or
Diamondback elec. So is this a big April fool's joke ala Syd Finch in SI
(couple of years ago).

Thanks
        Mark

--
          __
 ________/\ \  __  Mark Lee                   "There is thin line

------------------------------

From: Grant McLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ultra SCSI disk on Fast SCSI Controller?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:06:43 +1200

Hi

I'm running out of disk space on my machine and have access to a
cheap SCSI drive.  The new drive is Ultra SCSI and my existing
setup has a Fast SCSI controller (Adaptec AHA2940 I think).  Can
anyone tell me if the new drive should work or whether I'd be
wasting my time/money even trying?  My hope is that the drive
and controller will negotiate a mutually acceptable transfer
speed but I wonder if someone more knowledgeable could offer me
more than just 'hope'.

Thanks in advance
Grant

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael David Jones)
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc
Subject: Re: Analog CPU ?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 17:06:10 -0500

Mark Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I was just handed a photocopy of an article about an analog CPU
>replacement for the Pentium II's? Is this real or is this just a joke.
>The article came from 'Electronics Now April 99' and claimed that an

Hint #1: April.

>analog computer CPU existed (Ecraf Techn.) and is pin compatible with

Hint #2: Ecraf = "Farce" spelled backward.

 Mike Jones |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Show dogs and their handlers remind me of Brooke Shields and her
mother: an incredibly disheveled person tethered to an impeccably groomed
animal.
        - Margo Kaufman

------------------------------

From: Thomas Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:34:25 -0500

> I've gotten the go-ahead from my better half (read: my wife) to spend
> around 2K on a new system. I'd like to hear _specific_ success and/or
> horror stories on systems and peripherals that have worked and not
> worked with Linux. My prequisites:
>
> 400mhz CPU
> 96mb RAM
> 8mb video card
> 19" monitor
> sound card, speakers
> 4GB hard drive
> CD-ROM
>
> Bonuses:
> DVD
> Color printer
> Tape backup
> Dual CPUs
>
> Notes:
> I don't play video games, so 3D video doesn't mean anything to me.
> I'm open to build-my-own or buying from Micron, Gateway, Dell, etc.

And you could always wait for the K7 Chip to come out.  it is supposed to knock
Intel dead, K6-3 already beats the PIII by about 20  performance points...

Here is My current system setup.  Tried & tested and true.

AMD K6 233
Luckystar Motherboard (5I-VX1F)
16 Meg SDRam (i know i know, made a mistake here, being rectified with the tax
return i just got, getting 2x 32Meg SDram)
18x CDRom
2.5 Gig Quantum Fireball (IDE)
AWE64 ISA
IO/mega 250 tape backup
PCI BNC network card.
4Meg S3 Virge DX/GX

I do use this personal system at work with aa semi-mission critical situation,
so it IS reliable.
My only problem is when i occassionaly pop from X to console, the screen screws
up adn i have to reboot (or kill minicom and use seyon instead-just as easy)( i
suspect the video card is not a  quality card...)

Just make sure before you get the components. Verify online that they have linux
compatibility.  Or if you are willing to have it sit and not use ti to its full
potential til the drivers are available (this i would leave for the DVD and
sound cards...) No harm in waiting for the SB LIVE 256 support to come out, you
should be able to get it to run as a 128...
As for a monitor, i would suggest again, wait a few months.  See what happens
with the new flatscreen LCD monitors. Much less desktop space used.

Personal Dream Machine.

Dual/Quad K7 with 8meg LII cache
Ultra scsi 14Gig Quantum Fireball
384+ Meg PC100 SDRam
52x cdrom (Scsi)
4x Write 8x Read CD-RW Drive (scsi)
SBLive 256 Value
17-21" NEC Monitor (nice, yet simple)

and of coarse the 56K Voice/Fax modem. External

with a BJC 5000 Canon to round off for hard copy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Holger Bruns)
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:33:02 GMT

On 29 Mar 1999 17:06:10 -0500,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael David Jones) wrote:

>>analog computer CPU existed (Ecraf Techn.) and is pin compatible with

Anyway, analog circuitry can be used for calculations. But analog
computers have sure not the architecture of a digital machine like a
Pentium II.

>Hint #2: Ecraf = "Farce" spelled backward.

I would never spell an operational amplifier as a farce.

Holger