Linux-Hardware Digest #887, Volume #9            Wed, 31 Mar 99 17:13:38 EST

Contents:
  Re: BIG MONITOR little money (Daniel Ganek)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Matthias
Warkus)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Symbios SCSI card install problems - HELP (Go-Captain Alvarez)
  Re: crashing when entering after login: window manager problem... (Pete)
  Re: What to put on a 386 Notebook? ("Walter Harms")
  Re: SIS 6326 X server ("Walter Harms")
  Re: Partition problem ("Russ")
  Re: 640x480, 800x600.......HELP!!!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Matthias
Warkus)
  Linux for DEC Alpha Notebook? (Robert Young)
  Re: LT Winmodem? (John Thompson)
  Re: LT Winmodem? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Problem with printer HP Deskjet 895Cxi & kernel 2.2 (Jerome Fayot)
  Re: bios cpu temp reading under linux? (Mircea)
  Re: BIG MONITOR little money (Andrew Comech)
  Re: How do I Mount A  (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: ISAPNP modem error (Allen)
  Re: Boycott Intel on your own webpage (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Yet Another PIC Modem Question (Mircea)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.3 post-compilation problems (Benjamin HERZOG)
  Re: Horror story with a VIA chipset (Rod Roark)
  psaux: Device or resource busy (Jim Howes)

From: Daniel Ganek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIG MONITOR little money
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:37:01 -0500

The Grunewalds wrote:

> Does anybody know about the KDS VS-21, the MAG DJ920, Princeton C2001,
> or CTX EX900 monitors? They are all 21", 1600x1200 res, .28mm dp.
>
> I don't play games, I just like a lot of acreage for windows.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
> PS. Sorry to repost this but I forgot to ask about a video card. Would
> an ATI xpert 98 8MB card be sufficient?

KDS is bottom of the barrel. Also, a 21" .28mm can barely resolve 1600x1200.
If you going that high you should really use .26mm .

/dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:53:03 +0200

It was the Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:08:18 GMT...
..and westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[schnibble]
> UNIX fans don't like shared libraries.

Go tell that to the GTK+/Gnome/Enlightenment crowd.
They use more shared libraries than you can shake a stick at.

mawa
--
When you look at yourself in an aberrational mirror, you see your real
self, looking back at the twisted you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 30 Mar 1999 14:35:23 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.hardware didst westprog
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: UNIX fans don't like shared libraries. They can always point to DLL hell as
: proof that they don't work. In fact, the DLL debacle shows how you can
: implement anything badly if you reallly want.

Of course they do. I can't recall very many applications that DON'T use
shared libraries. It's the most efficient way to use repeated code.

Look in any using /lib directory, and I challenge you to find one that
doesn't contain a few .so files.

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|      Finalist in:-       | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Go-Captain Alvarez)
Subject: Symbios SCSI card install problems - HELP
Date: 30 Mar 1999 10:09:12 -0500

  Hi,

  I'm having trouble installing a Symbios SYM8751SP Ultra SCSI
card on my RedHat 5.2 box (running the 2.0.36 kernel).  I'm wondering
if anyone else has one of these cards working and can give me some advice.

  The Symbios card uses the SYM53c875 controller chip, which I
was told is essentially identical to the NCR53c875 chip.  I installed
the card in my machine, I added the line "alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx"
to my /etc/conf.modules, and then I did mkinitrd to build a new
initial ramdisk file.  When I boot, the machine is flooded with the
following console messages, forever repeating:

  Mar 27 14:15:31 leahi kernel: ncr53c875-0: have to clear fifos.
  Mar 27 14:15:32 leahi kernel: ncr53c875-0: unexpected disconnect
  Mar 27 14:15:32 leahi kernel: ncr53c875-0:0: ERROR (0:5) (8-0-0) (0/5) @ (script
38:86830000).
  Mar 27 14:15:32 leahi kernel: ncr53c875-0: script cmd = c1000004
  Mar 27 14:15:32 leahi kernel: ncr53c875-0: regdump: da 00 80 05 47 00 00 0e 31 08 00
00 80 00 08 02.

  Any suggestions?

  Please respond by e-mail.  Any advice is welcome.

  Thanks.

  Brian M. Patten

From: Pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: crashing when entering after login: window manager problem...
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:07:51 +0100

Ian Hay wrote:

> You -should- be able to flip to a virtual console by pressing
> CTRL-ALT-F2.  From there, login text-mode style, kill X, edit
> /etc/inittab again, and you should be set.
>
> I.
>
> Alessandro Magni wrote:
> >
> > Due to a bad configuration (probably), any time I login (graphical login
> >
> > screen, redhat 5.2) Linux tries to switch to some odd resolution,
> > monitor flickers, something bad happens... and I come back to login. No
> > way to login in text mode due to my init files that make everybody login
> >
> > directly in X (I'll never do it again, swear!).
> >
> > Does somebody know how to login in text only mode, to resolve my
> > problem? HELP ME!
> >
> > Many thanks,

Once you've done that and edited /etc/inittab to a different run-level
(I forget which one), if you want users to log into X and not root (so
you can still do admin stuff without relying on X), insert at the end of
each user's .bashrc the lines:
startx
exit

This will then run startx every time they log in, and log them out every
time they exit X. Got this nifty tip from someone else on the NG, just
passing it on.

Pete

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What to put on a 386 Notebook?
Date: 30 Mar 1999 15:11:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick) writes:

>Hello,

>is it possible to bring a little Linux with TWM and a little Wordprocessor on
>the following Hardware?

>Z-Note 320lb
>i386sl20
>8MB of Ram
>135MB Harddisk

>I have heard about a small Kernel and TWM ist small.

        should work,
        look for smalllinux.pedia.net they also offer a tinyX
        or www.pisoft.it/~andreoli/mulinux also a very
        small linux.

        walter

--
=====
"You exist, only because your will insists that you exist;

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS 6326 X server
Date: 30 Mar 1999 15:13:20 GMT

"Henry Yu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Is there any one can help me thru for the SIS 6326 Xserver, or how can I
>download from win98, it seems I can not download from any of the ftp site.

>Please Help............

the SIS6326 is supported in the SVGA server (std. Xfree) but there are
some problems with it. see www.suse.com supportDB

        walter

--
=====

From: "Russ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partition problem
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:28:20 -0600

The partition program you are using (fdisk or druid maybe?) is probably
telling you that all of the space on the hd has already been partitioned,
not that there is not anymore *free* space on the drive. What to do from
here really depends on what you want to do with the existing data on your
hd.

If you do not want to keep any of the data that currently exists on your hd,
then the easiest thing would be to delete the existing partition(s) and then
re-partition the drive in Linux native according to what you need to setup
Linux.

If you want to keep the existing data on your hd then you will need to use
some utility which can manage, create, and possibly resize partitions of
different formats, such as FAT and Linux native, while keeping your data
from being scrambled. Partition Magic comes to mind, but there are several
others.

Look in the Red Hat installation guide from the box set for better info on
how to handle this.

Russ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 640x480, 800x600.......HELP!!!!!!
Date: 30 Mar 1999 14:45:29 GMT

In his obvious haste, SHOCK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Can I switch the resolution modes and color deep in Xwindows????
: If not what I have to do to change resolution????

<ctrl> <alt> <KP+> and <KP-> to switch resolutions.

For colour depth, the only thing you can do is restart (or start another) X
server using the -- -bpp switch.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |                                                 |
|       Finalist in:-      | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:51:32 +0200

It was the Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:01:47 +0200...
..and Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jedi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > That and neither rm or the shells are a core part of the OS in Unix
> > to begin with...
>
> Are you sure?  Try to change anything important in your shells' behavior and
> see a huge number of Unix programs breaking, maybe as much as if you did
> change some POSIX C function.  Loads of Unix programs rely on shell scripts
> to do jobs from installation to large pieces of functionality, exactly
> because the shells are very powerful.  Maybe the shells are not in the
> kernel, but this doesn't mean a lot in practical matters.

But hey, you can use a non-brain-damaged shell for interactive
purposes - as long as there still is the "brain-damaged" shell for
scripts, nothing will break.

mawa

From: Robert Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux for DEC Alpha Notebook?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:20:22 GMT

I am wondering if there exists a DEC Alpha notebook (yes, a 64-bit
processor)
as well as its support on Linux OS.  Please let me know.

Many thanks.

--
Robert Young,

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: LT Winmodem?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:28:46 -0600

Michel TALON wrote:

> I have read in Linux newsgroup that some guy has succeeded to write a
> Linux driver for Winmodems. So wait a little bit and the necessary
> information will perhaps become available.

Given the diversity in the current crop of Winmodems it may
be that only one particular type of these devices will be
supported by this driver.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:38:54 GMT

[Newsgroups: trimmed]

Michel TALON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have read in Linux newsgroup that some guy has succeeded to write a
>Linux driver for Winmodems.

[...]

No , he didn't. He's trying to find people willing to assist, though the
lack of specs for writing the needed drivers makes it close to impossible
to do it.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Jerome Fayot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with printer HP Deskjet 895Cxi & kernel 2.2
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:35:21 +0000

==============BCD27C541F862BE8F8B1EE29

==============6220D97ABB8011060923403E

I have problems with my printer : HP deskjet 895Cxi.

When I first installed RedHat 5.1 on my PC, the printer was working fine
after configuration with printtool.
Now I have upgraded the kernel to version 2.2.3-5 with the required
packages, and my printer doesn't work
anymore.

When I try to install manually the lp driver, the /var/log/messages
logfile says :
Mar 31 16:49:38 localhost modprobe: can't locate module parport_lowlevel

Indeed there is no /lib/modules/2.2.3-5/misc/parpot_lowlevel.o module in
the kernel-2.2.3-5 rpm file.

Notice that the printer is still working under Windows.

When I try to use printtool to add a new printer, none of the three
devices /dev/lp1,2,3 is detected, although they are present in the
filesystem.
When I try tunelp /dev/lp1 (which was the good one when the printer was
working) it says :
/dev/lp1: Operation not supported by device
Same thing for the two others.

What is the problem here ? Do I have to go back to kernel 2.0 to have my
printer working (anything else is OK) ?

Thank you for any help.

PS: sorry for the frenglish.......

==============6220D97ABB8011060923403E

fine after configuration with printtool.</tt>
packages, and my printer doesn't work</tt>
logfile says :</tt>
devices /dev/lp1,2,3 is detected, although they are present in the filesystem.</tt>
was working) it says :</tt>

==============6220D97ABB8011060923403E==

==============BCD27C541F862BE8F8B1EE29

begin:vcard
n:Fayot;Jérome
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-22208
fn:Jérome Fayot
end:vcard

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: bios cpu temp reading under linux?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:23:00 -0500

A hardware solution: get from Radio Shack their "indoor-outdoor digital
thermometer" for around 15 bucks, place the sensor on the heatsink of
your cpu, and keep the display near your monitor. There you go, cool!
Also see: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips; there's always a lot of
discussions about cooling/temperature monitoring.

MST

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:02:02 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thomas Dorris wrote:

> The Grunewalds wrote:
>
> > I don't play games, I just like a lot of acreage for windows.
>
> Same here.  I bought a Radius IntelliColor Display/20 on Ebay a short
> while ago for $300.   It's a 20" monitor and handles 1600x1200
> beautifully.  A little more twiddling with the clock settings and I'm
> sure I could go higher.  I just happen to like that resolution.  It's
> flicker free (after lots o' clock adjustments) and quite sharp to boot.
>
> > PS. Sorry to repost this but I forgot to ask about a video card. Would
> > an ATI xpert 98 8MB card be sufficient?
>
> Amply, depending on your usage and assuming it's supported under Linux
> (haven't bothered to check).  To run a simple 16-bit X-windows session
> at 1600x1200, you only need 4-meg of video RAM.  That's what I run with.

Hi,
I am sorry to say this, but this sounds like "my box runs real fast".
If you want to sound more specific, you better have a look at

http://hawks.ha.md.us/hardware/monitors.html

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: How do I Mount A
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:36:01 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 19:32:50 +0000, Joseph White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Can someone tell me how to mount  a Syquest EZ-135, or point me to a
>How-To.
>I'm running Redhat 5.1 Linux 2.0.35.

IDE, SCSI or Parallel port?

For IDE or SCSI: so long as you have the appropriate support (IDE or SCSI)
compiled into your kernel (even as a module), you should just be able to
   mount /dev/hd?? /mnt

My IDE EZ135 is the 2nd disk drive, so my ext2fs mount looks like
   mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
and my msdos mount looks like
   mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt

I couldn't tell you about parallel port EZ135s

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ISAPNP modem error
Date: 31 Mar 1999 21:31:20 GMT

Well you are right in that it probably isn't a "WinModem"(trademark), but it is
still acts like one...  It is however, a "software" modem that onle ships with
UART/DSP emulation for the win32API...  So, you are still in just as bad of
shape as if you had gotten a "winModem".  Sorry.  (Looks like a pile of s%#&,
sounds like a pile of s%#&, acts like same--must be a pile of, well you get the
picture.)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:59:45 -0600, Archival Technologies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am running a dual OS system with Redhat 5.2 and Win98 on an Intel P200
>system and am having trouble getting my modem to dial.  I have verified
>that the modem is not a winmodem (it is a USR 56K voice PCI PNP
>internal).  Also, the modem works fine under Win98.  When I run pnpdump,
>the modem is found with no problem.  However, when I try to run isapnp,
>I receive the following error:
>
>LD setting verify failed, this may not be a problem
>Try adding (VERIFYLD N) to the top of your script
>Error occurred executing request 'LD3' on or around line 365 --- further
>action aborted
>
>Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated as I
>have been trying to get this to work for 6 days now.
>
>Daren R. Morgan, MBA
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:11:12 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boycott Intel on your own webpage

Privacy Guard wrote:

[good blah-blah-blah snip-snip-snip'ped]

> Use these banners on your website and link them to the above sites
> http://www.fightdivx.com/intel_p3_banner.gif
> http://www.bigbrotherinside.com/images/bbi-banner.jpg

No, those banners suck. I prefer

http://www.x86.org/IntelArt/Feb98/pisson.html

it is a little out of date, though: Pentium with only two exclamation
marks.

Cheese,
Andrew

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet Another PIC Modem Question
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:31:32 -0500

Hahahaha... I put a winmodem, a _classic_ LT winmodem, in one of my PCI
slots, to play with it and see if I get anywhere with it... in /proc/pci
it shows on irq11, i/o address 0xe400...setserial...no go. Also, I got
nowhere with lspci/setpci. Of course it won't work as a modem, since
it's brainwashed, but maybe I could use as an analog i/o port...if I had
the time to pursue this.

MST

From: Benjamin HERZOG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 post-compilation problems
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:16:17 +0200

i had the same problem, and it seems that you are trying to boot a non-bootable
sector.
so, check your lilo.conf and make sure it boots on /dev/hda, and that /dev/hda
has at least one bootable partition (command a in fdisk if needed).
then, it should work.

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Horror story with a VIA chipset
Date: 30 Mar 1999 16:09:31 GMT

Mikael Bouillot <"mikael"@[REMOVE-THIS]colba.net> wrote:
>I've just ran into a horrible problem that seems to be coming from my VIA
>chipset. I would really like to know if anyone has experienced/heard of this
>before I go and buy a new motherboard....

Well it could also easily be your CPU or RAM.  Try a few Linux kernel
compiles; if you get random sig11's and such then it's probably not
the DMA.

Also try the various PIO modes for disk access, slower memory and
I/O timings, and disabling the L2 cache.  This may offer some clues
as to what's broken.  If you have more than one DIMM/SIMM try
removing half of them and then the other half.  Would also be good
if you can borrow some other CPU to see what the effect is.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Jim Howes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: psaux: Device or resource busy
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:46:41 +0100

Before everyone jumps in and says 'IRQ Problem', it isn't;
atleast I don't think so.  I think it's more a case of
hardware being silly.

On a Compaq Deskpro system, we have the following:

Kernel 2.0.34, P-II-333, 160Mb SDRAM, Intel EX chipset.
Adaptec 2940UW (system disk, and optical drive)
2 x 3Com PCI network cards
1 x ATI Rage IIc AGP video card
0 x ESS sound card (We had one, we didn't use it, we didn't
configure it, then we removed it).

Booting into xdm occasionally causes the system to loop
with xdm reporting 'Can't open /dev/mouse, device or resource busy'.
When this happens, the keyboard tends also to be locked, although
not always, which is wierd.

/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux

No process has that inode (/dev/psaux) open (scanning through /proc),
GPM and the usual suspects are not running.  Shutting down to single
user mode and doing 'cat /dev/psaux' reports the same problem.

No device in /proc/pci is reported as using IRQ 12.
There is nothing listed in /proc/interrupts for IRQ 12
(the PS/2 mouse should only appear in there once it has been
opened).
Nothing in the BIOS allows us to get IRQ 12 for a PCI card,
only IRQ's 9, 10 and 11 seem to be available.

Hacking through drivers/char/psaux.c, I see that there are three
places where the device reports -EBUSY.  These are a result of
failures of request_irq(), poll_aux_status() and another request_irq()
which is not compiled in because CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE isn't defined.

Adding a couple of printk()'s, the poll_aux_status is failing.

Looking back through the syslog, the message 'Keyboard error'
appears every so often.  This is a result of keyboard.c getting
a scancode of 0xff back from the keyboard under certain conditions.

I currently suspect the keyboard controller (the PS/2 mouse being,
AFAIK an extension of that).

Any ideas?

Jim