From: Thierry Charpentier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win Hardware is it compatible with Linux?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:43:18 +0200

If you speak of the U.S.R. 56*WinModem internal card, i'm afraid that's true!

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
(see appendix D)

------------------------------

From: "Fox Mulder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Redhat 5.2 on Compaq Proliant 2000 not recongize SCSI contoller
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 10:55:09 +0800

Sorry for cross posting but I have working on it for too long time.

I have got a Compaq Proliant 2000 server with EISA channel and plugged with
a Compaq NCR chips SCSI controller.  By some reason the setup program seems
unable to found the SCSI controller automatically (Both the internal and
EISA add-on).

I believe there will is necessary to put in some parameter during the
install and I have tried "base_address=9000 irq=15" etc but still not able
to make it work.

Please can you help

Regards

------------------------------

From: Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 20:54:55 +1200

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > It's a mixed blessing. Count the number of times there are questions
> > on this group from someone who has bought or downloaded Redhat, and
> > doesn't know how to partition a disk.
>
> is this a redhat problem or a generic linux problem?  if debian,
> slackware &c were as popular i am sure we'd hear the same questions
> about them.

Good point, but having subscribed to these groups for a long time, I
still maintain that the number of *real dumb* questions correlates
pretty well with the rise of Redhat.

Does anyone want to do a count?

Cliff

From: mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Monster Sound 80 or 300X cards
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 05:49:01 GMT

Hello,

Could anybody tell me if either of these cards is supported by Linux
(either by the kernel or as a module).

Thank you very much,
Mircea

------------------------------

From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:51:18 -0800

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Fleming) writes:

> > I'm glad Jon A. Maxwell (JAM) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said this and not me..
> > >  westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >  | I recomend the analysis of this problem - safe deleting in UNIX -
> > >  | in "The UNIX-Haters Handbook", chapter Two, where a succession of
> > >
> > > That book is full of misunderstandings and slander.
>
> i love unix but i have and read and enjoyed the unix hater.  it does
> point out several flaws in the unix design.  these will never get
> fixed due to various reasons mostly backwards compatibility.
>
> unix is not a religion.  unix does have quirks and flaws.  it's ok to
> criticize unix as well as praise it.

Unix is incompetently hacked crap but so are the other OS's.
That book was fun and was dead on in most places.  The fact of the
matter is
that most programmers are basically incompetent bozos and thats why this
field
is a despicable sewer based more on religion, marketing and fashion
then anything real.

Jay

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I have an Impression 7 Plus Monitor but...
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:23:23 -0800

When I use Linux my monitor only shows a portion of the screen!  unlike in
windows or DOS where it extends from one side to the other!  Is there any
program I can use to correct this?  Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks. madcow

email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Recommendations for best graphics card?
Date: 3 Apr 1999 10:18:26 GMT

Both of them are good choices, though the driver support is a little better
(right now?) for the Matrox cards.  This may change, as the hardware specs for
the Riva TnT chip set are faster, and the driver support may catch up to
demonstrate this.  I for one, don't prefer video cards from Diamond for personal
reasons, because back when they refused to admit the existence of Linux, they
also didn't support very well anything but Microsoft, whilst Matrox would
probably get you a driver for their products if you told them you were thinking
about writing an OS:-)  I suffered through very bad or no support for OS/2 with
diamond products for a long time, and turned to ATI and then to Matrox, and I
haven't been disappointed with Matrox ever.  They may no longer have the fastest
cards in the general consumer market, but they're not chopped liver either, and
their products are not only well supported on many platforms, but quite stable
too.  ATI is another possible choice, though I'm not sure the driver support has
yet caught up to supplying acceleration under X.  (The G400 was announced at
CeBit last month too...)

to summarize,  1.)  Matrox Millenium G200
                  2.)  Riva TnT anything (except STB--They just got bought out
by 3Dfx, so their focus may change for the worse/wait and see on them)
                  3.)  ATI

There are other new chip sets that are supported by Xfree86 version 3.3.3.1, but
I don't think their market share is large enough to say whether or not they
are/will be better, or as good.

        Just my 0.02 pesos...

On 01 Apr 1999 16:00:34 -0500, Michael Hucka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to come up with a desktop configuration for several Linux machines
>we will be buying for our workgroup.  I'd like to hear people's
>recommendations about the best-performing graphics card that is supported by
>XFree86.  (The list at http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html is long, and my
>experience in this area short :-).)
>
>The kind of work people here do is the following.  We run simulations that
>display 2D and 3D graphics (written in ordinary X library calls); we are also
>in the process of developing 3D extensions to our simulations packages (in
>Java3D and possibly OpenGL); and in addition, some folks use Matlab for data
>visualization.  (Matlab supports OpenGL, I believe.)  Our users would like
>24-bit graphics.
>
>The Linux boxes will be 450 Mhz-based PII systems, and will almost certainly
>have an AGP interface on the motherboard.
>
>I'm eyeing the Matrox Millenium G200 16 MB cards, but someone has recommended
>to me the nVidia RIVA TNT boards instead (e.g., the Diamond Viper 550).

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: Steven Howe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc
Subject: Re: Analog CPU ?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:52:14 +0000

Leo Cambilargiu wrote:

> I've never heard of an "analog" computer, are there any advantages to it.
> Does it process instructions at all...  Is there a site I can go to?
>
> LCamBilARgiu
>
> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Polleke wrote:
>
> > Gotcha
> >
> > But i do have a analog computer at home from solartron UK.
> >
> > It is a type of analog wavemaker and you can use filters and integrators etc.
> > ITs speed is about 10 Hz with 8 channels and one voltmeter as output.
> > But it works great. Even makes music.
> >

> > On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:52:43 -0500, Mark Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >I was just handed a photocopy of an article about an analog CPU
> > >replacement for the Pentium II's? Is this real or is this just a joke.
> > >The article came from 'Electronics Now April 99' and claimed that an
> > >analog computer CPU existed (Ecraf Techn.) and is pin compatible with
> > >the PII's and that it was a 4000 time improvement over the PII with a
> > >ridiculus 900000 MHz clock rate. Using a standard ASUS motherboard and
> > >analog RAM (4G from Diamondback electronics) and standard 4G Harddrive
> > >(with the analog system it was increased to 1600G). So does this exist ?
> > >I did a prelimanry web search and found no info on either Ecraf Tech or
> > >Diamondback elec. So is this a big April fool's joke ala Syd Finch in SI
> > >(couple of years ago).
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >     Mark
> > >
> > >--
> > >          __
> > > ________/\ \  __  Mark Lee                   "There is thin line
> > >between
> > >/\  __  __ \ \/\_\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Genuis and Insanity and
> > >\ \ \ \ \ \ \/ / / Advanced Imaging Group      I'm stuck in a
> > >singularity"
> > > \ \ \ \ \ \_\/ /  Robarts Research Institute
> > >  \/_/\/_/\/___/   London, Ontario   Canada
> >
> > Greetings from polleke in duketown holland

Actually the early computers were 'analog'; progamming such beast was not easy. It

ment creating circuits via large plug boards.  Advantages?  No more than a dsp,
and
not nearly as capable at low voltages (to hard to be acuate). There is no
integration step
with a analog system; this can be an advantage if the system you are emulating in
software
has a time constant on the order of the clock cycle of modern digital CPU (could
be useful
for subatomic physics, or nanotech device processing, but not much  else).

I might add it is volt not voltmeter

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs Riva TNT
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:16:45 -0800

Jason McKnight wrote:

> I have the Diamond Viper 550 and XF86 3.3.3.1, but I still cant get the TNT
> to work. I ran XF86Setup and selected the Viper550, 16 megs of memory and
> selected my monitor, but the server would not start. I tried multiple
> resolutions and the only on that would work was 640X480X8.
>
> Any ideas?

I have a Creative and I had to select the Riva128 card selection form the
XF86Setup to get it to work.

Hope this helps,

jamess

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 2 Apr 1999 14:36:10 GMT

        Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> wizard wrote:
>>
>> On top of adding value the strengthen the Linux code base by
>> setting things like RPM free.
>>
> RPM is a good package manger, but it is *not* essential. I've been
> running Linux for years without it.

True, but that wasn't the claim, either.  The claim is that Linux is
strengthened by RPM.  I agree with that statement.

>> The other key item that everyone overlooks is the large amount
>> of effort the people at RedHat, Suse and others put into driver
>> development. If that does add value I don't know what does.
>>
> This is a fiction. Redhat do *not* develop drivers.

I did a grep on some directories in my 2.2.3 kernel source tree (the
subdirectories under the drivers directory, to be precise).  There were
several hits on "redhat," all in e-mail addresses of kernel developers.
Now, perhaps Red Hat itself isn't officially supporting this development,
but their people are certainly involved in it.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: FINALLY, IT HAS ARRIVED!  IBM Deskstar 22GXP - Get ready to pHEAR!
Date: 3 Apr 1999 10:32:18 GMT

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:25:11 -0500, George Amherst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

...snip...

>Hmmm.  I'm all of a sudden curious. Do you happen to work for TJT?  They
>carry what, like 6 items?

        I don't work for them either, but in case you're curious, their
catalogue is online at www.tjt.com, and that is the first place I'd go looking
for a hard drive, 'cause if they have the model I'm looking for at the time,
then their prices have always been lower (including 2nd day air) than the next
nearest price i can usually find, which is a far cry from somebody like
Comp-U-Plus, who advertises artificially low prices, and then charges normal
shipping charges plus something like nearly $10 handling charges PER ITEM... And
I've never had a problem with any of their service.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joachim Richter)
Subject: How to change the order of attaching 2 scsi controlers?
Date: 3 Apr 1999 10:34:03 GMT

I have a system with 2 scsi controlers: the main controler is
a Tekram 390F. Because of cable length problems I have installed
a second controler (Dawicontrol 2974) for external devices only.
I want both controler drivers to be compiled in the kernel, but
in this case the DC390(T) driver for the Dawicontrol comes first
when starting the system, and the device names change, so that I
cannot boot my system this way. I am now running my system
with the ncr53c8xx driver compiled in the kernel an the DC390(T)
driver as modul.

My question is now, if there is some (boot?) option or any other
mean to change the order of attaching the drivers during boot.
Im am runnig Redhat 5.2 on this system.

Any hints would be appreciated!

Regards,
Joachim

Joachim Richter; 07973 Greiz, Pohlitzer Str. 64; Tel. 0172/3578570

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How to get 33600 connection speed?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:24:10 -0800

Ting wrote:

> Recently I installed Redhat Linux 5.2 to my old P/133 box.
> I have a V.90 Winmodem which I happily used
> in Windows. Now that it does not work with Linux, I
> got a 33600 US Robotics Sportster external fax/modem somewhere,
> which is as easy to install as you can get.
>
> Problem is, it never connects at above 28800 under
> Linux, while it often connects at 31200 under Windows.
> Is there any special options (S?=?) I can use to make
> it connect at 31200+? This is a 33600 modem, it must
> be faster than a 28800 modem, isn't it?
>
> BTW, I am using wvdial as PPP dialer.
>
> Ting

When I first got my 56k modem I could hardly connect at anything above
32000. I went to the modem vendors web site and they had an update to
the bios for the modem. I downloaded the update and updated my modems
bios. Now It is very rare that I connect at anything less than 46000. I
also have my port speed set to 1500000, but 57000  should do.

jamess

------------------------------

From: Sandra Capri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommended Mail Order for Hardware?
Date: 02 Apr 1999 23:05:27 -0700

> On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 16:42:26 -0600, Dan Star <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just wondering if anyone can suggest a Mail Order company to buy
> >hardware components from.  One that stands behind the products they sell
> >and doesn't try to screw the customer.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Dan

I've liked esc technologies ( http://www.esctechnologies.com ).
Their 10Gig WD HD prices are great, and they've been real nice
about answering questions (they'll put together many of your
components without charge, as well).

--
Sandra Capri
E-Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 3 Apr 1999 00:26:24 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
jedi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>unix is not a religion.  unix does have quirks and flaws.  it's ok to
>>criticize unix as well as praise it.
>
>       That's not a unix problem that's a shell problem.
>       It can be dealt with by changing the shell. There's
>       nothing keeping argument expansion fixed to a
>       particular scheme.

The problem as originally stated (typing the wrong command) is
neither a shell nor a unix problem.  It is a user problem and
no matter how much you try to idiot-proof the user interface
someone will always come up with a better idiot.  The traditional
unix shells and tools are very good at quickly providing automated
wrappers for repetitive tasks because they do exactly what you
type and work the same interactively as when scripted.  If you
do anything more than a couple of times you can type the commands
into a script with variable expansion where needed and you are
done with it.  If you don't like that, you can always use one
of the GUI interfaces instead - unix certainly doesn't preclude
using the interface of your choice.

  Les Mikesell

alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George E. Law)
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 post-compilation problems
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:42:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Kropf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My only suggestion would be to make the root partition
>the first one on the disk.  However as long as the root
>partition is within the first 1024 cylinders, everything
>should work fine.
>

>Aaron Saikovski wrote:
>
>> So if I make 4 partitions and make one of those bootable that might fix the
>> problem.
>> I currently have my drive partitioned as follows.
>> (2Gb drive)
>>
>> 128Mb of swap space
>> the rest of the drive as one big partition eg /
>>
>> This is what I reckon might fix it...
>>
>> 128Mb      swap space
>> 200MB     /partition
>> 1087Mb    /usr
>> /300Mb     /home
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron

You may also want to try adding a line to lilo.conf :
linear

I had similair problems and this fixed 'em the first try

George

From: Thierry Charpentier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP, Matrox Mellium G200
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 10:32:53 +0200

1/ Download the latest XFree86 version (3.3.3.1), as the support for G100/G200
wasn't included in the  3.3.2  shipped whith most recent distribs (before
feb.99)

2/ Install it (Read The F** Man) - Matrox drivers are part of XF86_SVGA server

Some links:

XFree86 project:
http://www.xfree86.org

FTP sites for download: