From: Todd Makinster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Help] VIA-503+ MB & AMD k6-2 350 Install
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:13:35 -0600

Jim,

Thanks for the response, it's these kindof checklists
that I need as this is the first motherboard i have ever
installed & _don't_ know what to look for no matter how obvious
it may seem. I have responded to each question within your
response, please read as I have included jumper settings.

Here have been my findings so far:
I am still wonderin' about my RAM. On the fica.com site, the
jumper settings for this board, they (fic) recommended using
PC100 RAM, I've read quite a few accounts, tho, of people using
66 RAM successfully. My intention today is to unplug everything
and add a piece at a time, but I am still unsure why I get no
video output. I swapped in the card I am using right now in and
it didn't do a damn thing either, I have even tried all three
PCI slots....If I could just get some output I would feel much
better...

If anybody else has anything to add, please do, I will post
everything I find/do to the newsgroup for anybody else that
may be having problems, I am already beginning to regret
purchasing this 503....

The Grunewalds wrote:

> Mak,
> I assume that all the obvious things have been done (monitor plugged
> in to wall , monitor plugged into to video board, floppy plugged into

        Monitor in wall: Check, In video board: Check, floppy: Check

> to powersupply, floppy data cable plugged into mother board, etc...)
> Some (all?) powersupplys have two plugs to supply power to the mother
> board. Are you sure you plugged them in correctly?

        Power to mother board: Check, black cables in center of plug?

> Ribbon cables have a red stripe on the side where pin one goes. There
> is some marking, a bar or a number "1" to denote where pin one is.
> Make sure these are correctly installed.

        Pin1 on IDE cables aligned correctly: Check

> Make sure that there is no possiblity that a pin from the back of the
> mother board (or anything else other than mounting hardware, etc.) is
> touching the case.

        What happens if this is the situation? Will the board short and
        not even begin to power? or will it still power up, my HDs
        and fans are spinning when I power on, but still that beeping...

> I'm not sure why you want the memory to be set at 66mhz. I have a 503+
> with an AMD 350 and I set it up for 100mhz. Are you sure you set the
> ratio properly ? Did you set the CPU voltage to 2.2?

        That was a concern of mine this morning, I am going to switch
        the the CPU back to 100Mhz(?! My ingnorance is beginning to show)
        (No dimms installed but) DIMM Frequency: CLK4 Defaulted to
        66MHz, should I change it to 100Mhz?

                Currently (66): PC100   NonPC100 <-- Defualt of manual
                        SDRAM3  +-+ +1  +-+ +1
                        SDRAM2  +-+ +1  +-+ +1
                        SDRAM1  +-+ +1  + +-+1
                        CLK4    + +-+1  +-+ +1

                For 100Mhz CPU Ext. Frequency
                        SDRAM3  +-+ +1  +-+ +1
                        SDRAM2  + +-+1  + +-+1
                        SDRAM1  +-+ +1  + +-+1
                        CLK4    + +-+1  +-+ +1

        Along those same lines, CPU to BUS Frequencey
                100 Mhz CLK3    +-+ +1  <--- Should it be this speed?
                        CLK2    + +-+1
                        CLK1    + +-+1

                66 Mhz  CLK3    + +-+1  <--- It is currently set to this
                        CLK2    + +-+1  <--- This is beginning to look
                        CLK1    + +-+1  <--- like a problem for me...

        CPU Voltage:Check

        Please no laughing, but how do you read Jumpers? Is the
        order 3 2 1 (for example) always or could it  be 1 2 3?
        On hard disks, cd-roms I have the power connection for
        reference but on the board I'm too sure....

        Thanks for the suggestions, it did help, you got me looking
        at my jumpers again. Thanks Jim! Anybody/Everybody else?

        --Mak

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIG MONITOR little money
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:31:12 +0200

"C. David Wilde" wrote:

> Actually the 450 Pro is a 19" with like 17.something viewable.  I have one,
> and it's one of the nicest monitors I've ever used.

Oops, you're right. I've got the 17" monitor *with* the "Pro" in
the name. It must be a different number. As I was choosing what to
buy, the 19" Pro Iiyama was on display as well. I checked it out and,
based on the size of a dent in my wallet a purchase would cause,
I chose the 17" one. I did like the 19" even more, but ... you know...

Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut fuer Statistik,   Operations Research und Computerverfahren,
Universitaet Wien,    Universitaetsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,    Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: "Graham Tavener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Sun Adapter
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 14:55:52 GMT

AFAIK the Sun monitors are fixed freq.  I looked into this before, and
discovered I would have problems booting up as it would not change sync when
in DOS mode. Some people were using two monitors, one for booting and DOS
applications and the other for Windows!
A quick search on infoseek reveals this place does adapters
http://www.ultraspec.com/1396.htm &
http://www.restorstone.com/Adapters/SUNAdapUS.html
They say...

Change the resolution slider to 1024x768 for a 16-17" monitor or 1280x1024
for 19-20"
Change the vertical refresh rate to 75Hz
Supports windows hi-res drivers only,
DOES NOT WORK IN DOS MODE without our Gemini P1 video card. (this supports a
fixed freq/res in DOS)

http://www.ultraspec.com/1396sup.htm

Although they do mention that you might be able to use SciTech Display
Doctor to force the DOS mode into the right freq. and resolution.  Not sure
how that would work for games in 800x600 though?  Might br worth
investigating.
A search on Dejanews gives over 4000 posts on this subject!
/Graham

------------------------------

From: Alain BURET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DFE 530-TX
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 15:18:24 +0200

I saw some days ago someone who was searching for the way to configure
the 530 TX Ethernet/Fast Ethernet under Linux ... and I was alsolooing
for this information.
I made a search on the SuSE hardware database and this PCI card is
supported thru the VIA-RHINE model ... I recompiled my kernel and it's
working fine.

PS: using  SuSE 6.0 with kernel 2.0.36

Alain BURET
Belgium