Linux-Hardware Digest #980, Volume #9             Fri, 9 Apr 99 20:13:49 EDT

Contents:
  Is this a Win Modem? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Olaf Walkowiak)
  S3 Virge/GX ("Walter B. Burke")
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Nick Ambrose)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Rufus V.
Smith")
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Ben Pfaff)
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Nick Ambrose)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Rufus V.
Smith")
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Gergo Barany)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Johan
Kullstam)
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Kaz Kylheku)
  Re: Looking for nVida TNT driver for XWindows. ("^^@++")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Rufus V.
Smith")
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Charles R.
Lyttle")
  Re: SoundBaster Live (Vipin Malik)
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Kaz Kylheku)
  S3 Trio 3D AGP ("Stefano")
  Re: PCI PnP sound card: how to find out IRQ,I/O,DMA? (Jens Kaphingst)
  Newbie: problem with SiS 6205 chip set? (KPU)
  Re: ASUS P2B-DS Jumper Settings ??? (Jason McKnight)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) ("Charles R.
Lyttle")
  Modem works on one linux box, not on another (David N. Welton)
  Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)] (Lawrence Kirby)
  Enable 2 cpus on Sparc Linux Redhat 5.2 (Jason Hong)
  Re: Any way to use Plug&Play with Linux? (Andri Saar)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Is this a Win Modem?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:08:16 GMT

Wednesday April 07 1999 23:10, Credence Ross{I}{you} wrote to All{me}{
you}:

 CR> exactly what the distinguishing features of a 'win modem' are.  I'
 CR> ve
 CR> got this new modem, and the cd that came with it says 'PCI 56K LT
 CR> WIN
 CR> MODEM'.  So right away, I am suspicious.  I bought this in an on-
 CR> line

What does it say? :)

 KS

------------------------------

From: Olaf Walkowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Source Code To Windows 98 (programmer humor) (fwd)]
Date: 09 Apr 1999 22:12:06 +0200

Hello,

James Goldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
> main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.

It works, but with a warning:
olaf@tichy:~/test > cat test.c
=====================8<================
#include <stdio.h>

void main(){
  printf("Hello World\n");
}
olaf@tichy:~/test > gcc -o test test.c
test.c: In function `main':
test.c:3: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
olaf@tichy:~/test > ./test
Hello World
olaf@tichy:~/test >
=====================>8================

but with a return value, the warnings disappear:

=====================8<================
olaf@tichy:~/test > cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
  printf("Hello World\n");
  return 0;
}
olaf@tichy:~/test > gcc -o test test.c
olaf@tichy:~/test > ./test
Hello World
olaf@tichy:~/test >

=====================>8================

In the "real world", a program should return 0 if there was no error
and an error code if something went wrong.

Useful for things like

test || echo "Something went wrong";
test && echo "Cool, it worked!";

CU
Olaf
--
ACMEDIA - Cologne - Germany
professional and easy2use e-Commerce Systems

------------------------------

From: "Walter B. Burke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Virge/GX
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:35:32 -0500

Are there any documented problems with X and the S3 Virge/GX video cards?
After starting and leaving X, the text display is completely scrambled and
stays that way until reboot.

------------------------------

From: Nick Ambrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:52:40 -0700

Michael George wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 1999, James Goldman> wrote:
> >Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually main() returning void is a MS C extension, so they can use it
> >> in their own programs, like Windows 98, with perfect impunity.

NO NO NO ... it *must* return int, despite anything thay M$ might say.

> >Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
> >main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.
>
> Not sure how??  Well, rather than having the definition of main() read:
>         void main( void )...
>
> You have:
>         int main( void )...
>
> That was simple.  Then, when you are ready to exit, you can just call return
> (or is it exit()?) with an integral value.  That's how the standard linux
> commands give exit values.  Everything should have an exit value.

Only use exit() if you don't want destructors for auto objects to be called (i.e.
in general use return rather than exit)

------------------------------

From: "Rufus V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:11:42 -0400

John Thompson wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Charles R. Lyttle wrote:
>
>> The nice thing about Linux, it that everytime someone complains about a
>> missing feature, I can respond, "Well, go write it!"
>
>And the best thing is, after you respond with that, chances
>are eventually you or someone else actually will write it...

Of course, it would be nice if there was a central clearing house of
"nice to haves" that also have a list of people working on it and
(*shudder*) estimated completion time.

I'd hate to have it too structured, but I'd also hate to be working on a
utility
for a month only to find that two days later someone posts a much better
or more versatile solution than mine.

------------------------------

From: Ben Pfaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: 09 Apr 1999 16:46:14 -0400

Nick Ambrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

   Michael George wrote:

   > On Fri, 09 Apr 1999, James Goldman> wrote:
   > >Ben Pfaff wrote:
   > >> Actually main() returning void is a MS C extension, so they can use it
   > >> in their own programs, like Windows 98, with perfect impunity.

   NO NO NO ... it *must* return int, despite anything thay M$ might say.

Look, I'm not one to defend Microsoft, but in this case they're in the
right.  An implementor may make any extensions to C that they like,
and the result is still C as long it doesn't cause any strictly
conforming program to become invalid, at least according to Annex G.5.
So Microsoft can make void main() a Microsoft C extension and use that
in their Microsoft C programs; no strictly conforming C program will
use void main(), so it won't affect them.

However, they should document that it's an extension, and I've been
told that they don't.
--
(supporter of the campaign for grumpiness where grumpiness is due in c.l.c)

Please: do not email me copies of your posts to comp.lang.c
        do not ask me C questions via email; post them instead

------------------------------

From: Nick Ambrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:15:41 -0700

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:03:26 -0600, James Goldman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually main() returning void is a MS C extension, so they can use it
> >> in their own programs, like Windows 98, with perfect impunity.
> >
> >Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
> >main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.
>
> He said that it *is* a MS C extension; he didn't say that it *not* also an
> extension found in Linux or elsewhere.

But it *can't* be a MS-C extension and still conform to the std.

Nick

------------------------------

From: "Rufus V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:03:30 -0400

Charles R. Lyttle wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Jianxin (Jerry) Yuan wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > Wrrrrong.
>> >
>> > File systems don't do filename expansion.
>> >
>> > Please read and learn, before posting.
>> >
>> > John S.
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with 'rm', but with file systems, I am not so
>> sure. I love Unix with all my heart, but one thing I hate is that there
>> is no 'undelete'. Experienced with VMS, Solaris and Linux for years,
>> sometimes, I still have to go to my sysadmin for backup :-((((.
>>
>> My question is why there is no such tool to let user to try their luck
>> once they kill themselves. Is this somthing to do with the architecture
>> of file systems?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jerry
>>
>> PS: lurking behind this thread for long time......
>With Linux there is no undelete because you havent written one. I
>haven't written it either, but then I don't want it bad enough to spend
>the time.
>
>The nice thing about Linux, it that everytime someone complains about a
>missing feature, I can respond, "Well, go write it!"
>--
>Russ Lyttle, PE
><http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
>Thank you Melissa!
>Not Powered by ActiveX

Peter Norton built an empire by writing an undelete program.

------------------------------

From: Gergo Barany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 23:49:32 +0200

> > >Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
> > >main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.
> >
> > He said that it *is* a MS C extension; he didn't say that it *not* also an
> > extension found in Linux or elsewhere.
>
> But it *can't* be a MS-C extension and still conform to the std.

It's an MS extension and (possibly) the standard way to code at MS. It
does not conform to the ANSI standard.

Gergo

--
When I was a kid I said to my father one afternoon, "Daddy, will you
take me to the zoo?" He answered, "If the zoo wants you let them come

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+

comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Apr 1999 18:18:08 -0400

"Jon A. Maxwell (JAM)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
>  | "Charles R. Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  |> By not requiring the \t, make has to know what are legal commands to
>  |> pass to the shell or how to execute the commands itself.
>  | i do not see how allowing any amount and mix of space and tab versus only
>  | allowing one tab makes any difference.  you would still fob the first
>  | non-white char through the newline off to the shell.
>
> Nice theory Johan, but these are NOT supposed to be passed to the
> shell

irrelevant.  the *whole* discussion centers about it being too
you parse past the whitespace you do whatever you'd otherwise do.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:24:17 GMT

On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:15:41 -0700, Nick Ambrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:03:26 -0600, James Goldman
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
>> >main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.
>>
>> He said that it *is* a MS C extension; he didn't say that it *not* also an
>> extension found in Linux or elsewhere.
>
>But it *can't* be a MS-C extension and still conform to the std.

Why not? There is such thing as a conforming extension. Of course, programs
that use it are non-conforming.

------------------------------

From: "^^@++" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: Looking for nVida TNT driver for XWindows.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:29:15 +1245

Mark Swope wrote:

> No you'll have to upgrade.  However, the XFree gods made
> this a relatively painless deal, except for the fact that you
> have to download about 7M of stuff.  After that, it's EASY.
> And the TNT is supported pretty well, too.  Get XFree86
> v.3.3.31 - you'll be glad you did.
> mas
>
> Mike Hogan wrote in message ...
> >I just installed RH 5.2 on my system, but I couldn't get X-Windows to
> detect
> >my graphics card.
> >I was wondering if there is a driver I could install without having to
> >upgrade the entire X-Windows system.

I only had to download the Server SVGA binary (1200K) and then run
XF86Setup
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/Servers/XSVGA.tgz

--
-Matt

------------------------------

From: "Rufus V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:00:50 -0400

Roland Paterson-Jones wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Johan Kullstam wrote:
>
>> > It made parsing easier in the days when a big Unix system had 8K RAM
>> > and ASCII characters were 7-bit.
>>
>> do you seriously think that a conscious decision was made to save one
>> extra compare?  make is a pretty complex program.  requiring tab
>> versus allowing tab or space wouldn't have made any significant
>> difference.  compiler options or the phase of the moon would have made
>> more of an impact.
>
>Incredibly enough, programmers (particularly C hackers) really do program
>with this mentality. Hence, Knuth: Premature eja^H^H^H optimisation is the
>root of all programming evil.
>
>Roland

That's because much of code, particular hacker code, is written not for
ease of use, and not even necessarily for other programmers!  I needed to
get a job done, I wrote a little utility to do it, here it is.  I might have
some
documentation somewhere around here but since I wrote the program in
a hurry you won't find much in the code, but here's the utility anyway.
Bye!

------------------------------

From: "Charles R. Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 23:25:17 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Jon A. Maxwell (JAM)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >  Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
> >  | "Charles R. Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >  |> By not requiring the \t, make has to know what are legal commands to
> >  |> pass to the shell or how to execute the commands itself.
> >  | i do not see how allowing any amount and mix of space and tab versus only
> >  | allowing one tab makes any difference.  you would still fob the first
> >  | non-white char through the newline off to the shell.
> >
> > Nice theory Johan, but these are NOT supposed to be passed to the
> > shell
>
> irrelevant.  the *whole* discussion centers about it being too
> you parse past the whitespace you do whatever you'd otherwise do.
>
> --
>                                            J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
>                                            [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>                                               Don't Fear the Penguin!
But that was the whole point. The \t starting the command line means you
don't do anything except pass to the shell. A whitespace or any other
non printable character gets parsed to decide what to do next. A similar
situtation happens in man shell scripts that require continued lines to
end with a \ followed immediately by a newline.No other characters are
permitted after the '\'. Do you know how many hours have been spent
troubleshooting chat scripts that had one line ending '\'+space+newline?
It would be nice to be able to put any whitespace after the '\', but
'\'+space means something entirely different from '\'+ newline.

The source code for make is available. I liked JAM's suggestion to make
a change that did not require the \t and post the differences. If the
code is good, I'm pretty sure it could get adopted as part of a standard
distribution and earn you lasting fame and fortuine (well, at least 15
minutes of fame).
--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Vipin Malik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBaster Live
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 18:26:27 -0500

I have the same card.
What a lot of folks don't realize that you can still use your old (or buy
for $15) a SB16 ISA card and use that
under Linux. Won't give you effects and stuff but will give you sound and
let you play audio cd's :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 20:55:23 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>
>> Actually main() returning void is a MS C extension, so they can use it
>> in their own programs, like Windows 98, with perfect impunity.
>
>Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
>main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.

He said that it *is* a MS C extension; he didn't say that it *not* also an
extension found in Linux or elsewhere.

Clear those logic bugs in your head; maybe as a beneficial side effect
you will stop using void main.

In any case, recent releases of the EGCS compiler warn about main not returning
int, and if you do -pedantic-errors, will refuse to compile.

------------------------------

From: "Stefano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Trio 3D AGP
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:46:51 +0200

How can I configure my S3 Trio 3D video card with Linux Slackware 3.6 ?
My XFree version says It is not yet supported. Where can I find a driver ?

Thanks.
Simon.

------------------------------

From: Jens Kaphingst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI PnP sound card: how to find out IRQ,I/O,DMA?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:22:08 +0200

Hi Robert,

first of all you have to tell Linux that there is a PNP-card in your system.
There is an utility called 'isapnp'. This utility is perhaps a paket of your
Linux-Distribution..
First of all, change the directory to '/etc'.
Then if there is even a version of the file 'isapnp.conf', rename it for backup.

Then run the program '/sbin/pnpdump'. This program generates the file
'isapnp.conf'.
Run an editor to edit this file.
Uncomment the lines you need.
For informations about 'isapnp' look into the docs.

After this configure your new kernel.

I hope this will help you.
Bye, Jens

------------------------------

From: KPU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: problem with SiS 6205 chip set?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:20:42 -0400

Greeting all:
I have a PC with P75, the video chip set is in the motherboard and the
video memory is part of the computer memory (computer has 16MB and video
uses 1 of those 16). I installed RedHat 5.2 without problem, but when I
tried to configure XWindow, it recognized the video chip set, but then
said couldn't find the PCI Base Address, is this because my video memory
is part of RAM? Did any one have similar experience that can give me
advices on how to solve it?

I also downloaded a newer version of XFree86, but my problem is I
download it in Windows and one of the files is 6MB in size, how can I
break it in small chunck in DOS/Windows and then reassemble it in Linux?

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

--
=======================================
Regards

Ko Fei Pu
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASUS P2B-DS Jumper Settings ???
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:27:12 -0400

PII 400's are multiplier locked. You need to adjust your FSB speed to
increase your clock speed.

However, I don't think the PII400 is on the list of good over-clockers  :)

------------------------------

From: "Charles R. Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 23:32:31 GMT

Rufus V. Smith wrote:

> Charles R. Lyttle wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Jianxin (Jerry) Yuan wrote:

> with the
> that can

> >> There is nothing wrong with 'rm', but with file systems, I am not so
> >> sure. I love Unix with all my heart, but one thing I hate is that there
> >> is no 'undelete'. Experienced with VMS, Solaris and Linux for years,
> >> sometimes, I still have to go to my sysadmin for backup :-((((.
> >>
> >> My question is why there is no such tool to let user to try their luck
> >> once they kill themselves. Is this somthing to do with the architecture
> >> of file systems?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Jerry
> >>
> >> PS: lurking behind this thread for long time......
> >With Linux there is no undelete because you havent written one. I
> >haven't written it either, but then I don't want it bad enough to spend
> >the time.
> >
> >The nice thing about Linux, it that everytime someone complains about a
> >missing feature, I can respond, "Well, go write it!"
> >--
> >Russ Lyttle, PE
> ><http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> >Thank you Melissa!
> >Not Powered by ActiveX
>
> Peter Norton built an empire by writing an undelete program.

And the Linux revolution was started by about 16 lines of new code
(contex switch) for a rip-off of an old almost useless OS (MINIX).

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David N. Welton)
Subject: Modem works on one linux box, not on another
Date: 09 Apr 1999 13:25:43 -0700

[ please cc replies to my reply-to ]

So I know it's not a winmodem.  It's some kind of Diamond ISA modem,
although I seem to have lost the manual in recent moves.  On one linux
box, it works great - I moved it to another and nothing seems to see
it.  The interrupt and port (3, at 0x2f8, ttyS1) is the same across
both boxes.  Is there something that could be conflicting with it?
I'm not sure what - there was a net card on irq 10, but I pulled that
and it's *still* not showing up.  The other difference, as far as
interrupts, is the psauxw mouse, but I don't know... that's on 12 or
something.

I see 'serial' show up in proc/interrupts when I fire up minicom, but
nothing seems to happen, and it only gets 3 or 4 interrupts...

The thing that is really stumping me is that one computer seems to
deal with it just fine, and on a very similiar box, it is not seen at
all.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

David Welton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-395-7805 x4150

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lawrence Kirby)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.c,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 99 23:01:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Nick Ambrose" writes:

>Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:03:26 -0600, James Goldman
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Say what? I just wrote a console program under Linux that used "void
>> >main(void)". I never have used the int. I'm not even sure how.
>>
>> He said that it *is* a MS C extension; he didn't say that it *not* also an
>> extension found in Linux or elsewhere.
>
>But it *can't* be a MS-C extension and still conform to the std.

Sure, it can (referring to C). In C void main() results in undefined
behaviour. When you have undefined behaviour then anything the compiler
does is by definition correct, it is imposible for a compiler to do
anything in such a circumstance that can make it non-conforming. Undefined
behaviour is the normal condition under which conforming compiler extensions
are implemented. An example is inclusion of non-C-standard headers like
<unistd.h>. (*)

A slighly different question is whether void main() is a true MS-C extension
i.e. is explicitly documented to work. Many things work by accident on
many compiler versions, but they can't be considered true extensions
unless the compiler provides some guarantee, and more than just usage in
code examples.

* - While the mechanism of inclusion is defined (well partly
    implementation-defined), the ``contents'' of the located header (if any)
    and what effect its inclusion will have on the behaviour of the program
    is not defined by C. That is what allows POSIX to supply its own
    definition while remaining compatible with the C standard.

Lawrence Kirby | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wilts, England | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Enable 2 cpus on Sparc Linux Redhat 5.2
Date: 9 Apr 1999 23:00:16 GMT

I am running RedHat 5.2 on Sparc10 machines with
2 CPUs : 390Z55 and 128 M RAM.

How do I make the 2 CPUs are running?
Also, how do I check whether the OS is running 2 CPUs?

Thank you,
Jason

From: Andri Saar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any way to use Plug&Play with Linux?