Linux-Hardware Digest #44, Volume #10            Fri, 16 Apr 99 11:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Chris
Costello)
  Re: Linux supported printers (Grant Taylor)
  Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?) (Chris
Costello)
  Re: PCL6 Laser Printer (Grant Taylor)
  Re: S3 Virge DX (Wolfgang Trappe)
  Re: Seagate ST9235AG: Linux can't read the boot block! ("Martin Doehring")
  Re: adaptec 2940uw problem (Mike Lewis)
  Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup? (Scott Alfter)
  Scanner suggestions (Dominic-Luc Webb molmed)
  Trenton Pentium II w/ Digital 21143 ethernet controller ("Tim Hall")
  Re: Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config, startx
("DFarmer")
  Re: STB Desktop TV PCI Card. ("Chun Lin")
  SOLVED - THANKS::Re: 2 Ethernet Cards - IRQ/Address Conflict? Help! ("Simon Morley")
  Creative Labs' Riva TNT ("John Folk")
  Re: best removable storage... (Matthias Fricke)
  Dual Processing with Celeron Processors (Dwayne McGarty)
  Re: Modems (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Trenton Pentium II w/ Digital 21143 ethernet controller (Greg Yantz)
  Printer daemon error (Yazid)
  A New 'puter Board for Me (Rich Looke)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: All the current OSes are idiotic (was Re: Is Windows for idiots?)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:07:22 GMT

In article <7f4u4o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Daniel Weber wrote:
> Here's a programming tip I learned a long time ago that is just as
> applicable here:  never type any variable/file name twice.  Keep a
> window open with your varialble declarations and cut and paste them in.
> I do the same thing for file names that are longer than about 3
> characters.  If I had all the time back that I spent re-typing commands
> b/c I mis-spelled the stupid name and the time spent re-compiling b/c I
> can't speel printf, I'd write my own damn case-insensitive OS.

   That's a bad tip.

   Wait until you find a system without a mouse, just a console.
A router or small web server would probably not have a mouse!
Perhaps you should learn to spell and type - these are generally
a plus for people who plan on hiring you.

-Chris

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux supported printers
Date: 15 Apr 1999 23:49:26 -0400

"Donald R. Brewer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What is the minimal processor and memory requirements to run
> ghostscript on Linux OS?

A 386SX-16 with 4M and a 20M disk will run Linux and Ghostscript.

A midrange 486 or better is probably preferred, though, as is 16M RAM;
any Pentium will be more than ample.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:08:50 GMT

In article <7f73r5$fo2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, westprog wrote:
> > Of course not, and it's not necessary in the first place.
> > A "CD<TAB>" will do just fine (provided you are using a decent shell).
>
> What will "cd<TAB>" do?

   Some shells do filename completion with the tab key.

(foo@bar) ~/docs-> CD[press tab here]
suddenly you see
(foo@bar) ~/docs-> CD Report ...

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCL6 Laser Printer
Date: 15 Apr 1999 23:28:39 -0400

Xaendiss <" Xaendiss"@hotmail.com> writes:

> I've just bought an Mita DP-570 Laser printer which is PCL6
> compliant.  It works fine with the HP4L printer driver (apsfilter),
> but the speed (if I can call it speed) is horribly slow. It takes
> about 2 minutes per page.

> I'm using SuSE Linux 6.0 Kernel 2.2.5 Parallel ZIP Drive Mita DP-570

You don't say what version of Ghostscript you have.  A few people have
reported that the more recent versions - 5.10 and 5.50 - work faster
for their PCL lasers.  Try the SuSE 5.50 update or Aladdin's rpm.

From: Wolfgang Trappe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S3 Virge DX
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:16:06 +0000

ffffh wrote

> J'ai install=E9 la carte graphique S3 Virge DX et je ne peux pas obteni=
r  les
> srveurs x dans une autre resulotion que 640x480  Quelles peuvent les ca=
uses
> de ce probl=E8me ?

Ich verwende die S3 V DX mit 4 MB, bisher ohne probleme. Allerdings habe =
ich
auf die version 3.3.3.1 von XF86_SVGA updaten muessen.

( I used the S3 V DX  with 4 MB without any problem (til yet).  It is sup=
portet
with
XF86_SVGA 3.3.3.1 , maybe you  have to update to this version  ;-)

Wolfgang Trappe

------------------------------

From: "Martin Doehring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seagate ST9235AG: Linux can't read the boot block!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:13:44 -0400

I've got a couple of those drives and I did notice one strange thing
about 2 of them (out of 3). One responds the a query with the parameters
that are printed on the disk (985/13/32) and so is autodetected fine.
The other two respond with bogus parameters ( I can't remember
exactly what they are, but it added up to about 170MB rather than
the 209 it should). Now, if I manually put the "correct" numbers in,
all was kosher, or if I let it autodetect, then ran FDISK, all was kosher,
but I couldn't fdisk with the "correct" numbers, then let the autodetect
change them. Could this be your problem?

martin

------------------------------

From: Mike Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec 2940uw problem
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:39:12 +0000

So far I've tried the 2.0.36 and 2.2.3 kernels but it still doesn't detect it.
I've also tried just taking the CD writer off but that doesn't make any
difference either.  I'm booting off of a linux filesystem.  I also forgot to
mention that this is an 2940UW "Pro".  Does that mean anything or is it just
some marketing thing?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: NE2000 compatible card - how to setup?
Date: 15 Apr 1999 16:48:34 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Hugo van der Merwe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In windows it is set to 0x300: I think the hardware is configured that
>way. (Or is an NE2000 "software configurable"?)

A real NE2000 is jumper-configurable.  It's also fairly old.  Some older
clones of it (like the Artisoft AE-2s I used for a while) are
jumper-configurable, but most recent cards are software-configurable and/or
PnP.  The best thing to do, if your card has no jumpers, is to get the
proper configuration utility for your card (it'll be some kind of DOS-based
thingy) and use it to (1) make sure your card isn't in PnP mode (if it
supports that) and (2) check (and, if desired, modify) the address and IRQ
settings for the card.  (Yes, there is an IRQ associated with it, and Linux
doesn't like not having the IRQ available.  Win9x doesn't, either, at least
when you're using its "NE2000 Compatible" driver.)  0x300 is usually a safe
address choice; IRQ 10 is (usually) available on a system that doesn't have
too much other crap installed, but YMMV.  If that still doesn't work, try
something like "ether=0x300,10,eth0" (subbing the appropriate address and
IRQ) to tell Linux where your NIC lives if it doesn't want to pick it up
properly.  (Such options are also good if you have more than one NIC and
want to force a particular NIC to a particular address.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (yo no quiero spam) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://people.delphi.com/salfter

------------------------------

From: Dominic-Luc Webb molmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner suggestions
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:23:20 GMT

Could someone please suggest to me particular brand/models of=20
scanners which are easily installed under linux and has good=20
software support...=20

Please post to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as I do not enter this group often.

Cheers,

Dominic

North 59 37' 30"
East  17 48' 10"

_______________________________________

Dominic-Luc Webb, doktorand

Lab:
Department of Molecular Medicine
Endocrinology and Diabetes Unit
Rolf Luft Center for Diabetes Research
Karolinska Hospital L6B:01
S-17176 Stockholm
Sweden
Tel: Int+46-8-517-75727
Fax: Int+46-8-517-73658

Home:
Tingvallav. 88, 1 tr
195 32 M=E4rsta
Sweden
Tel/Data/Fax: Int+46-8-591-27121 (UNIX dialin server)
Internet Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fidonet Netmail: 2:201/645.13

From: "Tim Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trenton Pentium II w/ Digital 21143 ethernet controller
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:59:08 -0400

Hi,

I have a TrentonProcessors P2LX/233 Single Board computer with an onboard
21143 ethernet controller. Linux sees the device (msgs at boot, there is an
eth0 entry). But the link never becomes active ?? Any ideas ?

RHL 5.2 , Kernel 2.0.36

From: "DFarmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config, startx
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:00:08 -0500

Sorry to answer my own question...

Download the update to XFree86 from http://support.redhat.com/

------------------------------

From: "Chun Lin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STB Desktop TV PCI Card.
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:32:29 -0400

I also have a STB desktop TV and want to know how to setup
under Redhat Linux. Please post or email me. thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Morley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: SOLVED - THANKS::Re: 2 Ethernet Cards - IRQ/Address Conflict? Help!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:19:58 +0800

Thanks to everyone for their kind help.

I tried all suggestions. The problem is now solved.

In the end I found I discover an upgarde to the BIOS for my motherboard on
the manufacturer's web site. After installing it, the BIOS setup gave me the
option of specifying specific IRQ for particular slots. This was not
possible with the earlier version.

Everything now works fine. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "John Folk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Labs' Riva TNT
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:28:15 -0400

Does anyone know how to get this card working in Linux?  I have the PCI
version and RedHat 5.2.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:26:39 +0200
From: Matthias Fricke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best removable storage...

Mike Shobe wrote:

> i'm looking for advice, i want a removable storage solution which will be
> fast enough for mp3, but big enough for backup
> 2 categories
> 1)cost is an issue (read as, realistic, speed isn't really an issue, just as
> long as its random access (for mp3's and such))
> 2)ideal solution (read as, if i could, i would, but can't)
>
> thanks
>
> mike

Hi Mike,

I had a similar problem, when I was looking for a good backup solution. It
should be rather quick, easy to use, the data should be save, and if needed
delete should be possible (to reuse the storage medium).

I decided to buy a magneto-optical drive (MOD) !
MODs are quick because of SCSI interface (IDE is also possible), they are used
like normal 3.5"-floppies, the data is much more save than with the usual
magnetic storage (tape drives, ZIPs) and the data on the discs can be deleted
just like on usual floppies. O.k. a CDROM is more save, but a CD can be used
only once, a MO-Disc can be rewritten just like other normal mediums. The
capacity is up to 640 MB on a 3.5"-disc or also 2.4 GB on 5.25"-disc. (the last
one are a bit expensive ...)

For example, have a look at the Fujitsu homepage (should be: www.fujitsu.com)

If you do not plan to share your data with many others (who probably do not have
a MOD), it is a very good solution, in my opinion.

Hope I could help you.

Matthias

------------------------------

From: Dwayne McGarty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual Processing with Celeron Processors
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:35:37 GMT

I see people reference the fact that they have dual processor
linux boxes with *modified* celeron processors.  Can any one
provide an description/url that describes the modifications
required
and why it is necessary.

I am presently looking to purchase such a setup so success and
horror
stories welcome...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Modems
Date: 16 Apr 1999 00:36:41 -0500

Hi Michael!

On 16 Apr 1999 03:15:24 GMT, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>Andrew Comech ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: So far, no PCI modem has been known to work under Linux.
>
>This is NOT correct.  Few days ago I just finished hacking with Jack
>of Spades pcmcia ethernet/modem combo card for laptops.  I know from a
>personal experience that both modem and ethernet work under Linux and
>this is definitely a PCI modem.

I did not get it: Was it a PCI modem or a PCMCIA card?

>I heard also about other PCI modems with a Lucent chipset which work
>under Linux just fine - although I did not see them with my eyes.

We have have _heard_ about these modems (as well as we have heard about
Martians, Bermuda triangle, and Nessy). This story goes on for more than
a month, but the modem is still a ghost. Yet another link is
http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CnXvKqbKbyteYnJq

I am pretty sure that as long as it is a hardware-based modem, it will
run sooner or later. But _who_ runs this modem on a Linux box? As long
as nobody runs it, I do not want to hear that _it works_ instead of
_it might work_. Let us just wait until we hear some confirmed story.

Best,
Andrew

Btw, this modem is to cost around $100 (although it is said to have some
cool call waiting..). No much reason to choose this thing over
a cable modem (unless one has free internet access).

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Apr 1999 11:02:45 -0400

"Tim Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a TrentonProcessors P2LX/233 Single Board computer with an onboard
> 21143 ethernet controller. Linux sees the device (msgs at boot, there is an
> eth0 entry). But the link never becomes active ?? Any ideas ?
>
> RHL 5.2 , Kernel 2.0.36

Support for the 21143 seems to have gradually been added in recently.
You want to use the most recent version of tulip.c - an excellent
resource is:

        http://www.bmen.tulane.edu/~siekas/tulip.html

Using the standard 2.0.36 kernel I couldn't get my 21143 cards working. However, with
newer drivers (v.90q IIRC) I had no problems at all.

-Greg

------------------------------

From: Yazid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer daemon error
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:32:17 +1000

I've upgraded to 2.2.5 (compiled by me). Problem: I can' tuse my
printer. it works with previous kernel.. now I only can make sure the
printer is working by sending test page directly to /dev/lp0.
If I want to test print, it said something about 'can't start the
printer daemon.'(lpd). Help me...
I used all the parallel support and printer support as module. Fot the
time being if I want to print something, i need to boot my old
kernel(2.0.34). Help me...

------------------------------

From: Rich Looke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: A New 'puter Board for Me
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:05:16 -0400

Hi Peoples,

I haven't ran Linux for over a year and a half now, so I'm very excited
about all the latest goins on with it, plus a friend O Mine has
installed the latest RedHat further egging me on. So I'm getting ANSI to
build me a new system but I haven't chosen a new mother board yet and
I'd like to enlist your help in picking one out. Man, there are so many
to choose from, so let me first tell you what's most important to me.

Some of the most important aspects of the mother board for me to
consider are speed, compatibility, reliability and expansion, ease of
installation and flexibility. You know, stuff like that. I would like to
limit my search to the 500 MHz jobs if possible. I'm not really sure if
I should go with Pentium II, III, Pro or MMX or whatever. I just want
whatever Linux and especially the X Server can fly the fastest in. Also,
I'd like to get the broadest possible range of support for adding
devices like SCSI and USB. Something with a good bios that lets you make
adjustments and has a good manual would be great.

The primary mission of this machine will be to X-Window into an HP-UX
workstation at my corp office where I run some engineering tools like
CAD and CAE applications. The connection takes place using an ISDN line
so having good remote networking support is vital. But I'd also like to
run a few other applications locally like games, office apps, compilers
and so on.

I will have dual monitors on it. I already have a Colorgraphics
Evolution 2 PCI (dual monitor) graphics adapter that I would like to use
but I don't have any idea of what it's performance is like. I have been
considering Accelerated-X to handle the GUI side of things. I've been
told you have to get the special multi-headed version of it in order to
support more than one monitor. Sometimes I want the screens to act like
in Windows 98 having one big desktop to run CAE apps in one huge window
but mostly, I'll want to direct the different outputs to separate
screens.

In light of everything else I want, this may be a pretty tall order but
I want to have as many expansion slots as possible. Many of the newer
models only have 1 or 2 ISA slots but I want at least 3 and I'd prefer
to have 4 of the PCI. I've heard that they have to cut down on slots in
order to make it faster.

My initial thought was just to upgrade the mother board in an extra
Windows machine I have kickin' around but it has the Baby AT form factor
and I think that would limit me somewhat in my choices so what the heck,
maybe I should go on and buy a new case too and start fresh with this
one.

I sure would appreciate hearing from all you who have installed Linux on
your home brew computer. I want your successes and your horror stories
to help me make an intelligent choice. Thanx,

Rich

BTW: If you write me direct, you have to de-spam proof my return address
(remove NO_SPAM_PLEASE from it).