Linux-Hardware Digest #183, Volume #10            Sat, 8 May 99 00:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  BlackoutBuster UPS drivers ("steve epstein")
  New machine - RFC (Sam Halicke)
  IBM 6x86 Sig 11 faults (Neil Steadman)
  Re: Printer LBP-465 (Grant Taylor)
  Help! ISDN Motorola Bitsurfer Pro EZ w/ Lava Link 650 ISA ("Paul Hem")
  token ring loopback? (David B. Davis)
  SMP : Using (LynXX)
  External ISDN terminal adapters ("John Rooke")
  Found this new amateur site ! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Half inch HP tape on Power Mac running Linux: reading errors. (Johannes Niess)
  Re: Newbie vs Linux: Comment on this system. ("Lee Sharp")
  specs/modelines for old VGA monitors? (Georg Schwarz)
  Re: why doesn't redhat 6.0 support ethernet card? ("Arne B. Olsen")
  Linux on SGI????? (Scott Douglas)
  Re: TV-out under linux (Mark Shadley)
  Re: How to distinguish ECC memory? (Andrew Comech)
  NEC Superscript 870 Printer (mgm)
  Re: Best Super7 Motherboard
  xwindows with ati mach64 vt ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Solution: RIVA TNT & linux (Matt)
  Re: IRQ hell... (Eric Lee Green)
  Re: Does Anyone have Mwave modem/sound card? ("kryliss")
  Re: USR 56k Int Voice/Faxmodem and COL 2.2 (Bob Ewart)
  Re: OpenGL with old video card ("DoomsdayZero")

From: "steve epstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BlackoutBuster UPS drivers
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 18:49:03 -0500

Has anyone tried to connect a BlackoutBuster UPS to a Linux box and written
or found drivers for autoshutdown?

From: Sam Halicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New machine - RFC
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:27:55 GMT

I'm looking for a mini-RFC on the machine I'm putting together below. This
machine will start off running RedHat 6.0, then will likely move to Debian or
Caldera as my needs change...please post any
incompatibilities/suggestions/thoughts or whatever. Thanks.

Abit BH6 motherboard
Celeron 300a overclocked (450)
Maxtor DiamondMax 4320 8.4 GB, 5400 rpm
64MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMM
Creative Graphics Blaster (Riva TNT chip)
Creative SB Live! Value Multimedia Kit (48x CDROM as well as the SB Live)
ViewSonic E771 17" monitor
3Com Fast EtherLink 10/100 NIC

-- Sam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Steadman)
Subject: IBM 6x86 Sig 11 faults
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:07:06 +0000

To all those suffering Sig 11 faults with Cyrix/IBM 6x86MX PR chips...

First, who do I blame? Cyrix or IBM?

Second, if a chip is known to flake out just installing Linux can it be
said to be a true 8086 based improvement?

Third, I just got an AMD 150MHz K6-2 3Dnow replacement. No hangs, no Sig
11 messages. No worries at all...

Fourth, I'll ultra narked with having had a CPU I can't change, for 18 months,
which has been occasionally crashing software based on CPU load! BOLLOCKS! Full
marks to linux for letting me diagnose the problem, but I've erased 95,98 and NT
for crashes which now appear to be CPU based!

FLAME **IBM/CYRIX** (whichever...)

(I'm using the reincarnation of a 12 year old IBM, have installed motherboards,
CPU's, RAM, cards on other computers, and my own, I take extra care... So how
come this F*ing chip is the first to F*up?!)

Ah, I feel slightly better for that...

Neil.

Oh and as my pennies worth : Don't we need a
        comp.os.linux.hardware.graphics
        comp.os.linux.hardware.scsi
        comp.os.linux.hardware.scanner
        comp.os.linux.hardware.modem
        comp.os.linux.hardware.other
split yet? I mean, Linux is expanding!

--
"They say the grass is greener on the other side,
 we'll I've been there and I'm dying to get back."

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer LBP-465
Date: 07 May 1999 15:04:07 -0400

"Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am a very beginer in Linux.
> I have got a LBP-465 (a "winPrinter").
> Does anyone know if there is any way to use it under linux.

Hmm.  The closest thing in the database is the LBP-460, which I have
listed as a paperweight.  It's PCL emulation is in software ;(

I can't find either the 460 or 465 on the Canon web site, although I
have a live URL for a 460 FAQ page in the database.  Canon sure
doesn't do much to help owners of older products...

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: "Paul Hem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! ISDN Motorola Bitsurfer Pro EZ w/ Lava Link 650 ISA
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:53:42 -0400

Hi,

Can anyone walk me through setting up my BitsurferPro EZ
ISDN with my
LavaLink 650 ISA ( now called LavaPort 650) with Caldera's
Open Linux
2.2?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David B. Davis)
Subject: token ring loopback?
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:21:14 GMT

The token ring mini-HOWTO mentions, but does not elaborate on a loop-back
connector for a NIC.  I have a 3Com 3C319 for a clients system, but no
token-ring network in my office.  The ibmtr driver hangs (waiting for reset)
on boot up, apparently because of no network connection.  It does initialize
correctly in all other respects.

Does anyone know for sure if the NIC can (or cannot) be looped back?  3Com
support does not think so.  I may have to spring for a MAU :-(

TIA,
    -David

--
// David B. Davis               email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
// dbd associates               http://www2.southwind.net/~dbdavis

------------------------------

From: LynXX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP : Using
Date: 3 May 1999 16:32:30 GMT

Hi,

        One of my friend has a dual P2 450 system.
        I installed linux (RedHat 5.1) on his computer, and built the 2.2.6
kernel, to support the SMP; All is ok, 2 cpus are detected at boot.
        But know the question is : How can I use the SMP ? Could any application
use the two processors, or should I get special programs compiled for SMP ?
        Let's take the example of Quake. I tried to play with a kernel compiled
with SMP support, and a kernel compiled whithout it, and the frame rate is
the same. So is there special configuration to make quake using the second
processor ? Should I get a special version of quake, whith SMP support ?

        Thanks,

        LynXX

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "John Rooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: External ISDN terminal adapters
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 21:03:53 +0100

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to set up an external ISDN Terminal Adapter under
Linux. When under Win 95 I have to load some CAPI drivers but cannot find
much info on how to do this in Linux.

There seems to be lots in the kernel for internal cards but not for any
external TA's. I have tried treating it as a standard mode which works with
the TA we use at work, but to no avail. I can cu to the TA but then the
standard AT commands do not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using SuSE Linux version 6.0 with kernel 2.2.4 if that helps.

Thanks,

John Rooke

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Found this new amateur site !
Date: 7 May 1999 01:05:19 GMT

Hi Newsgroup users !

I stumbled right into this interesting looking new amateur site from europe:

http://www.girls-next-door.net

They have some free  sample pictures and videos. The site has not started yet but looks
extremly interesting. I have not seen any of these pictures or movies on the web
before.

Take a look !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johannes Niess)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Half inch HP tape on Power Mac running Linux: reading errors.
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 03:10:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Dear all;

>Well I thought it might not work but it nearly does. I'm running MkLinux (in
>fact Linux 2.0.33-osfmach3 on a PowerPC 601) and I wish to read half inch
>tapes on an old tape drive which we have connected to it. On booting the OS
>identifies the drive as an HP 88780 A662 drive and all appears well. It's
>accessible as /dev/st0 and it reports a status as:

># mt -f /dev/st0 status
>Unknown tape drive type (type code 0)
>File number=0, block number=0.
>mt_resid: 0, mt_erreg: 0x0
>mt_dsreg: 0x3000001, mt_gstat: 0x45810000
>General status bits on (45810000):
> BOT WR_PROT ONLINE D_6250 IM_REP_EN

>..which is not too bad. I can control the tape, rewind it and stuff and all
>was looking remarkably good considering I thought it might not work at all.

>However, when using dd to read data off the tape it seems to stop after each
>record. The third record is read by:

>dd if=/dev/nst0 of=brtape3 ibs=80 cbs=80

>... and I would expect this to cat all of the data from that record on to the
>brtape file right to the end of the tape. However it just reads one record.

>So I'm so close to a solution but yet so far! Damn. Had anyone got any
>ideas? Is there a web site with any useful tips for this sort of thing.

>I think hardware-wise I'm set up ok, I guess I just need something clever in
>dd for it to work? Or is there a config file somewhere where I can tell the
>OS what exactly the tape drive is I have and how it might work. Something
>like the equivalent of /kernel/drv/st.conf on Solaris I guess.

>Thanks in advance for any help everyone!

>Drew

Perhaps you use the wrong device: st0 should rewind the tape after
each operation. Try the nonrewinding device nst0.

And have a look at www.amanda.org.

Johannes Niess

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie vs Linux: Comment on this system.
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:38:15 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<7gtlu3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|Local computer shop quoted this system for me.
|Anyone see any problems with it?  IE Linux
|incompatibilities.

Way high...  See below.

|ASUS P5A motherboard, (3dm,pp,2I,1A,ALI,ATX) [whatever all that means]
|AMD K6-2/400MHZ cpu
|64 meg PC-100 DRAM
|Samsung 6.4 Gig IDE UDMA drive.

A small <now> loud and unreliable drive/

|Samsung 32X IDE CD-ROM
|Soundblaster 16 ISA
|USR 56K/V.90 ISA Voice FAX modem.
|(I eyeballed this, it had jumpers for interupt and com port.
|I also know where I can get an A-Open ISA modem)

Insert Winmodem warning here.

|ATI expert 98 AGP 8meg video.

|That's the main part of it.  It finishes off with an ATX tower
|case, floppy, mouse, keyboard, and Win 98 (GAG!)

|Total cost with taxes is $1044.50

   I just built a box for a friend of mine.  It was $1200, and purchased as
components.

Asus P2B with P2 400
128 meg PC 100 Ram
13 Gig IBM Ultrastor 7200 rpm drive
3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP graphics card
Toshiba 30x CD
SoundBlaster PCI AWE128
MS IntelliPoint Mouse.  <3 button, and they really do hold up...>
Keyboard, floppy, and premium ATX case.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Subject: specs/modelines for old VGA monitors?
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:39:38 +0200

We have a bunch of older VGA monitors (e.g. NEC Multisync 2A, ADI,
Yakumo) of which we'd like to kwow whether any of them is capable of
doing 800x600 at some reasonable refresh rate. Is there any monitor
specs or even modelines database on the WWW?

--
Georg Schwarz     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130

------------------------------

From: "Arne B. Olsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why doesn't redhat 6.0 support ethernet card?
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:46:14 +0200

Hi !
You have to get the source ! Maybe you can start the installation again and
choose only the kernel source. I think that should help you !
Then when you have finished, go into the catalog /usr/src/linux and read the
README file.
It tells u how to compile the kernel !

Arne

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 21:35:38 -0700
From: Scott Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on SGI?????

I was recently given an SGI Indigo box without a floppy drive. There is
a network card and a hard drive. The hard drive was formated!. I can
only boot up the on board BIOS and get the SGI menu. The machine is
plugged into our NT Lan. I'm a newbie to Linux, so no laughing! My dumb
question is this.

1. Is it possible to install Linux on this machine from the NT LAN
server. I'm sure this is the hard way, but I do not have access to SGI
SCSI floppy. Im out sure if the TCP/IP layer is active at this point in
the boot sequence to even ping the server????   HELP?

2. Will Linux even run on this machine?

Subject: Re: TV-out under linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Shadley)
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 21:12:44 GMT

I'm using an ATI Xpert@Play 98 attached to a Sony 32" TV right now.
It's working in text mode (a little hard to read), I haven't got it
to work in graphics mode yet.

Mark

--
please reply to mark AT shad DOT net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: How to distinguish ECC memory?
Date: 7 May 1999 15:29:10 -0500

On Fri, 07 May 1999 18:37:11 +0200, steven wrote:
>In the bios you can select to use or not use ECC on your memory module.
>If you have non-ECC memory, The option is "grayed-out".

Probably, this is not so simple:
if you have "logic parity" (which is sometimes referred to as "ECC compatible";
language abuse), then "ECC memory" option could fake the BIOS and then the OS
(until all the data is lost ;-)...

Am I right?

a.
--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: mgm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEC Superscript 870 Printer
Date: 7 May 1999 20:32:34 GMT

Has anyone gotten an NEC Superscript 870 Printer to work well
under Linux?

Hope so...

Thanks,
   Michael

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Best Super7 Motherboard
Date: 8 May 1999 02:18:29 GMT

Or if you need AT than get FIC VA-503+

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/sabala

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: xwindows with ati mach64 vt ?
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 07:38:39 GMT

hello, please ignore my bad english!

is it possible to run xwindows with an ati mach64 vt video card
and an 7cm3279 monitor (phillips)? SuSe says yes!
i cannot start sax without monitor crash and when i try it with
xfree86setup or xfree86config xwindows doesnot work (links are set)
how does the XFree86Config looks like?

thanks, marco (germany)

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Solution: RIVA TNT & linux
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 01:14:39 -0700

I've seen a number of posts on this newsgroup as well as others
regarding problems getting a video card based on the RIVA TNT chip to
work under Linux.  Specifically, I've noticed several posts on the
problem I encountered, so I thought I'd write up how I solved my problem
in hopes it might help someone else.

What happened:

I downloaded the newest version of Xfree86 (version 3.3.3.1 -see
www.xfree86.org) and installed it according to the instructions in the
release notes file.  After running XF86Setup, X would only come up in
320 x 200 mode, regardless of any manual editing of the settings in the
XF86Config file.  I discovered the problem was that the SVGA server from
the earlier version of Xfree86 was still installed, and after removing
this, I was able to configure the TNT card and get it working.  (Note: I
am running RedHat 5.1 and have the Creative Labs AGP TNT card.)

Step by Step instructions:

Note: these should work with RedHat 5.1 or 5.2, possibly others as well,
and possibly other Linux distributions as well, I don't know.
These instructions should also work with any of the TNT cards, since as
far as I can tell, they are all using the same driver anyway.  (Let me
know if I'm wrong on this)
Anyway, here it goes:

1. Download version 3.3.3 or later of Xfree86.  Go to www.xfree86.org
for a list of download sites.  Note: if you are running RedHat 5.x on an
Intel platform you will need the glibc version, not the libc version.
(Don't worry about this too much-the install script should tell you if
you have the wrong one, but it saves a lot of time to get the right one
from the start)  Note: you will only need the XSVGA.tgz file from the
Servers directory

2.  Install the TNT card if you haven't already.

3.  Check to see if you already have the SVGA server installed.  You can
do this either by looking in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory for a
XF86_SVGA file or if you have rpm (RedHat does, I don't know if other
distributions do.  Try typing "man rpm" and see what you get) you can
type: rpm -q Xfree86-SVGA.  If you get back a package name and a version
number, it is installed.  You will need to remove it before the TNT card
will work.  If you have rpm, this is easy.  Just type: rpm -e
Xfree86-SVGA.  If you don't have rpm, you'll have to do some searching
to find out how to uninstall the server.

4.  In the directory for the latest version of Xfree86 (the stuff you
downloaded) there should be a file named relnotes.  Towards the end of
this file is a set of instructions for installing the new version.  Do
exactly what it says.  Heed the warnings to use the extract utility
instead of the tar command.

5. Use the extract utility again to install the SVGA server:  (assuming
that the file XSVGA.tgz is in the /var/tmp/Servers directory, and the
extract program is in /var/tmp, do this:)

cd /usr/X11R6
/var/tmp/extract /var/tmp/Servers/XSVGA.tgz

This should install the correct drivers and X-server for the TNT card.

6. Now you will need to set up the X configuration.  There are several
programs for doing this.  RedHat comes with a program called
Xconfigurator.  This didn't work for me after installing the new version
of Xfree86, so I can't recommend it.  The other two are XF86Setup and
xf86config.  These should be in your /usr/X11R6/bin directory.
XF86Setup is graphical interface tool, and xf86config is text-based
(useful if XF86Setup doesn't work for some reason)
Both programs are pretty self-explanatory.  If you can't find your
specific card in the list of supported cards, chose RIVA TNT.  I think
this should work for just about any TNT based card, but if you can find
your specific card, you might as well use it.  A note about resolution
and color depth:  the TNT driver only supports 8 and 16 bit color
depth.  Choosing 24 and 32 will prevent X from starting.
A note: on xf86config.  This program will ask you for the manufacturer
and the model number of your monitor and your card.  Just press enter
here, these don't matter.  You could call them all "Micky Mouse" if you
wanted to.  The important bits are selecting your card from the database
and setting the sync frequencies of your monitor.  Also, don't try to
guess which clock chip the TNT card has.  Just press enter.  When you
are asked for video ram, select option 6 and type in 16348 (this is 1
meg (1024 k) x 16).

7.  You should now be able to start X windows.  Note:  When I installed
Xfree86, it wound up setting the default window manager to twm.  In
RedHat (and possibly others) the way to change this to default to fvwm
or afterstep or something else is to create a file called .xinitrc in
your home directory (type cd ~ to get there)  This file should contain
the path to the window manager you want to use.  For example:
/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep

One note on default screen resolution:
If you use XF86Setup to generate your XF86Config file, you might wind up
with only one resolution and color depth setting.  In this case, you
won't have to worry about the default resolution.  If on, the other
hand, you chose to use an existing XF86Config file in XF86Setup, or you
use the xf86config program, you may have many entries in you config file
as to which resolutions are available.  In this case, X windows may come
up in 640 x 480 when you'd rather have 1280x1024.  Here's how to fix
this:

If you are using xf86config, there is a section of program that lists a
series of "mode lines."  These look something like this:

"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" 8bpp
"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" 16bpp
"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" 24bpp
"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"  32bpp

xf86config gives you the option to edit these lines.  How this works, is
that the first entry in each line is the default for that color depth
(8bit, 16bit, etc).  So, if you edited the list to be:
"800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" "640x480" 8bpp
"800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" "640x480" 16bpp
"800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" "640x480" 24bpp
"800x600" "1024x768" "640x480" 32bpp

X windows would start in 800x600 mode each time it loads.  Select the
default resolution you want by placing it first in the list.  (Note: you
can switch to the other resolutions while in X-windows by pressing
"ctrl" + "alt" at the same time then pressing "+".)

If you didn't use xf86config, you will have to edit the XF86Config file
itself.  This file is typically in the /etc directory, but if making
changes here doesn't work, there is probably another copy in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11.  (usually this is a link to the one in /etc, but it
depends on how your system is set up.  Try the one in /etc first.)
In the XF86Config file there is a series of "screen" sub-sections
towards the end of the file.  Each sub-section will start with something
like: Section "Screen" and end with something like: end subsection.
Within each subsection there will be at least one other subsection
called "display."  Inside each of these subsections there should be a
line like this:

Mode "800x600" "1024x768" "640x480" …etc

These lines work the same way as they do in the xf86config program.
Edit this line to put the resolution you want as default as the first
entry in the list.

Have fun and good luck.

I hope this helps some of you out there!

--Matt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: IRQ hell...
Date: 8 May 1999 03:21:28 GMT

On Mon, 03 May 1999 22:33:53 -0700, Steve Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>       ATX MB with PII/450 [2 on board IDE controllers, floppy controller,
>               COM1+2, parallel port, USB controller].  4.3GB drive on
>               primary controller, 32X CD on secondary controller)
>       AGP Matrox G200 video card
>       PCI Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller (9GB UW disk and 10/20GB TR-5 tape)
>        ISA Adaptec 1505   SCSI controller (PnP?) (CD-RW drive and HP scanner)
>        ISA SMC Ethernet card (PnP)
>        ISA Digiboard PC/4 I/O card (leftover from old system)

Which motherboard? which BIOS version?

Let's do some interrupt counting:
  Matrox: 1
  Adaptec #1: 1
  Adaptec #2: 1
  Digiboard:  1

That's all 4 interrupts available on a "normal" board. but you disabled
Com2, parallel port, and USB, so that should have freed up two interrupts
(3 and 7).

Without knowing what motherboard and BIOS, can't help you much more here...

One thing about the PCI Creative sound card that you bought, I have
discovered it won't work right with OSS/Lite in 2.2 kernel, but it works
fine with ALSA drivers from http://www.alsa-project.org .

--
Eric Lee Green     [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.tripod.com/~e_l_green
   One database programmer/system administrator for hire, see web site above

------------------------------

From: "kryliss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Anyone have Mwave modem/sound card?
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:10:08 -0500

That's because it's a winmodem.

news:7gscin$pbi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bob Ewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: USR 56k Int Voice/Faxmodem and COL 2.2
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:19:58 -0400

"Russell E. Smith" wrote:

> Thanks for all your guys' help, but it still doesnt work. No matter where I
> set the modem (/dev/modem, /dev/cua2, /dev/ttyS2), whenever I query the
> modem or attempt to get it to dial, it says "Modem Not Responding" or "Modem
> Busy". Any other suggestions?

<snip>

Does the modem have "Sportster" written somewhere on the card?  If it
does and has jumpers, it comes out of the box configured for Plug and
Pray.  Mine did.  I downloaded usrv90v.pdf from somewhere on the 3com
site.  It told me how to set the jumpers for a specific port.  I think I
set it for com2 (/dev/cua1) so as to not conflict with the mouse. You
may need to do a "ln -s /dev/cua1 /dev/modem"

If all that doesn't work, try the modem on a windows machine to see if
you have a hardware problem.

--
Bob Ewart                 KE4ZXA               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Out of my mind                                 back in 5 minutes

------------------------------

From: "DoomsdayZero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenGL with old video card
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:25:13 -0300

Rats.  Thanks anyway.  Maybe I can find an old Voodoo card somewhere.

> > I'm setting up a Linux system and my video card is an old Diamond
Stealth 2
> > S220 which is famous for it's cheapness.  Is there a Linux driver out
there
> > that can use OpenGL on a Rendition Verite 2200 chipset?
>
>     Sorry, you are out of luck on this one. I used to have the Hercules
> Thriller 3D card which used the v2200 chipset from Rendition. Currently
for
> Linux, the only cards that are supported by Mesa3D ( opengl ) are the
Voodoo