From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (robert)
Subject: ATI mach 64 & Red Hat 5.1
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:28:18 GMT

Ran the druid & probed for Video support.  It found my ATI Video
Expression & when I continued, set-up for video failed at 90%
completion w/ this message.

 "X Free 86-Mach 64 failed unpacking of archive on file
/usr/X11R6/man5/XF86Config.5X:1: no such file or directory.

I installed to an old harddrive that is 234 megs, kept the package
count low because of this, what I want from linux is there-for a
beginner.  When I designated a monitor in the druid set-up I checked
generic.  I actually have an old Macintosh SVGA monitor (480 x 640),
w/ a virtual desktop set at 600 x 800 High Color.  So the deal is, I
start X windows & get darkness-o-monitor.  I obviously set things up a
bit wrong.  When I partitioned the HD I only designated /(root) & swap
in the interest of saving space.  How can I reset parameters from w/in
Linux (command linese), thus avoiding re-install?  Thanks in advance.
Robert

P.S. I am running as drivers for my video card on my main C: drive
MS(hell!!!!) direct X 5.  This so I can have MAME 32.  Could this be
my prob.?

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:30:13 GMT

I'll second the celeron idea.

if you can get celeron 300a and the right slotket adapters, you can push them to 450
ea.

a 900mhz system is the result (sort of) ;-)

you most likely need to enable the SMP jumper on the slotket and raise
the voltage to 2.2.  finally, b21 might need cutting or lifting.  some
mobos (like the asus p2bd) don't need to worry about pin b21.

all this gets you the best price/performance system out there!

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: According to M.V. Ramana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

: > I am thinking of building a simple dual-processor machine (2 P-II 400Mhz
: > CPUs).

: I'd actually recomend running dual Celerons.  They are every bit as
: fast as the PII and about half the price.  In fact, my single-CPU
: Celeron 333 is actually a bit faster than my dual-CPU PII-333 when
: running on just one CPU.

: > The most challenging task for this machine, if an when built,
: > would be running some serious number crunching (linux) applications from
: > mathematical optimization, computational algebra etc.

: Fortunately for you, RH 6.0 installs SMP out of the box.  ;-)

: > If some of you out there have built similar machine configurations, I
: > would
: > much appreciate if you can share your experiences. A few questions on
: > on my mind are:
: >
: > 1) On applications (built say, using gcc) that are not designed with
: > parallel processing in mind, can you get any speed up at all?

: Unless they are multi-threaded, no.

: > 2) A P-III 500 Mhz machine from Dell with similar specs costs about the
: > same as above, and so, is it worth my time to build the dual processor
: > machine?

: I'd recomend benching the fastest Celeron you can find against the
: P-III before plunking down the cash.  The results may surprise you.

: > 3) What are the best places (on the internet or otherwise) to shop for
: > parts? I looked at www.tcu-inc.com, and they had fairly decent prices
: > on most items (256MB memory being a notable exception).

: Standard rules apply.  Make sure they have an 800 number.  Make sure
: they take credit cards and don't bill until the otder is shipped.
: etc, etc, etc.

: > I should also mention that I have never "built" (assembled is a more
: > accurate
: > term, I guess) a PC before.

: You may want to enlist the help of someone who has done it before.  It
: is not at all difficult but you *can* break things if you aren't
: careful.

: -p.

--
Bryan

------------------------------

Subject: need A/D board for data acq.
From: Les Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:36:23 GMT

I am looking for an A/D board for my linux box on which to do data
acquisition stuff from various sensors and microcontroller projects.

come to think of it, an i/o baord where i could put either analog or
digital data would be even better. do such exist?

can anyone suggest a decent board with linux drivers? i am willing to
compile software if thats what it takes....

many thanks

les schaffer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Need a program to exercise/test the computer hardware
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:50:21 GMT

Compiling the kernel would exercise the software installation, but
what I really need to find out is whether Linux is working properly
with all the hardware.

------------------------------

From: Bill Feero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on an embedded 486
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:23:16 GMT

Thanks for your suggestions, I am looking at the linux router project. At this
point I just have a lot of questions and am looking for answers and trying
anything that looks like it might work. Since this is my second week working
with linux I still have a ways to go.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Kobus Wolvaardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My awe 32 card wont setup
Date: 17 May 1999 13:31:02 GMT

I have run sndconfig , it detected it but on installation it stalled , some
error ??in/on line 342 in isapnp?? Manuel config doesnt work , what do I
do?

mail me [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Ruediger Bodack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Symbios SYM8751SPE SCSI with LINUX?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:40:48 +0200

does anyone know if the SYM8751SPE works with LINUX? It has the
SYM53C875 chip which usually works with a NCR kernel. Is compliance
dependend from the card or
from the chipset only?
Thanks in advance,
Ruediger

--
                                                                _____
Ruediger Bodack ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                          LSI|LOGIC|

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How to SILENCE a MODEM?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:06:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Denis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anybody know how to control the loudness of the modem's sound when it's
>connecting to ISP? (i have Internal US Robotics 56K).
>Since I do that in Windows, I thought maybe I can do it in Linux, too.

Put M0 in the dial string to turn off the speaker, use L1-L3 to adjust
the volume, e.g.

change atdt5551212
to     atm0dt5551212

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: "Mitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Will RH 6.0 work with my LS-120 (IDE - internal)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:26:16 -0400

Will RH 6.0 work with my LS-120 (IDE - internal). Also wondering about my
RivaTNT video card (Viper V550 - AGP) and SoundBlaster AWE32 which has an
IDE connector on-board.

Thanks for any help... Mitch

------------------------------

From: Claude Chaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB 128 again
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:00:28 +0200

Hello,

I have been trying to coinfigure my soundblaster 128 for a while now.
I read somewhere that ALSA drivers were good. So I tried them.
It nearly works. ie : I can play audio CDs, I can cat .wav files
on /dev/dsp.

But mpg123 refuses to work (it won't play and tells me "No supported rate
found") and esound (for enabling sound in enlightenment) doesn't work
either. The mixers (gnome and xmixer) don't work.

I tried loading the oss-compatibility driver with no success.

I think I have one device wrong but I can't figure which one.

Can somnebody tell me exactly what to do to configure this card with ALSA
drivers ? Thanks.

                                Claude.

------------------------------

From: Bill Feero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:06:21 GMT

Walter,
won't have a drive. I will have lots of ram. BTW, do I need a swapfile?
Can the swapfile (if I need one) be a ramdisk?
embedded
keyboard,
image
the HOWTO
then
486.
it
display,
2megs.
at
for linux on a floppy distributions

------------------------------

From: "Arne K. Haaje" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Token-ring cards
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:31:38 +0200

Owen Brotherwood wrote:

> Madge has just released linux drivers for their non "true blue" TR cards
> on their web site.
> - I'm using a PCMCIA Madge card on a RH6.0/Dell Latitude and it works.
> Madge have PCI cards so Linux TR hits the PCI bus at last?
>
> I don't like the ibmtr driver that has been available until now(which may
> work with certain 100% IBM TR compatible cards)
> - it can hang the system with a cable error: the madge driver doesn't.
> I don't know if IBM will sudenly release more drivers (also for PCI)
>
> Olicom also have drivers: but the guy who was maintaining them left the
> company(?)
> - it is also an installation that patches the kernal source which may mean
> it ill not work with RH60

I use the Olicom 3137 PCI Card with kernel 2.2.7 on Stampede Linux, and
it works very well. I belive IBM PCI cards are now supported, see
http://www.linuxtr.net/ for details.

Arne
--
================================
Arne K. Haaje   |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: future domain 8 bit SCSI
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:14:36 GMT

Hi,
I've got an old SCSC controller. It's a 8 Bit card TMC-850 by Future
Domain. How is it to install under SuSE 6.0? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
 Stephan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AMD K6-III -- does it work?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:11:57 GMT

bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I suggest you reduce your aggressive ram timings (bios) to
: conservative ones.  if that doesn't work, try resetting bios to
: factory shipped default, then customize very slowly/carefully from
: there.

: if that doesn't work, then try better quality ram.  or maybe swap slots in the mobo.

I tried most of that on a K6 which I had, but it didn't seem to work.  I
ended up putting a intel chip in and things worked perfectly.

There appears to be some problems with timings between K6's and various
mother boards.  On the other hand, I have a k6 which works completely
without trouble.

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Gary Maltzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.1 and Maxtor 17GB IDE w/o BIOS support on MB as 3rd HD
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:39:45 -0500

I have a 1994-vintage 486 supporting a 12.7GB drive under Linux 5.2; to
insure that the system remains bootable, I boot the kernel from a 10MB hda1
partition, mounted on /boot. Although the BIOS doesn't see the whole drive,
once Linux is booted it has access to the whole drive.

------------------------------

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quad/Dual Motherboard?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:04:52 +1000

Try for a duel Pentium PRO combo

Getting nice and cheap now !!!

And they still kick along nicely <grin>

Tony

Douglas Darrah wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Gavin McCord wrote:
>>
>> Rather than buy a single expensive superfast PII on a single mainboard,
I'd

------------------------------

From: javierlt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,es.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: However my ATI RAGE 128 AGP 8MB =?iso-8859-1?Q?doesn=B4t?= work
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:53:45 +0200

Carlo Leorini escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I have the ati 128 fury and i could configure it with FBDev (and kernel
> 2.2.5, RedHat 6)
>
> I think the 0317 value is when you answer to the lilo prompt (when vga=ask)
> This is in hexa.
> But in /etc/lilo.conf you must put it in decimal: 791
>
> Here are other values:
>
> Colors      800x600                1024x768
>
> 16bits      0314 (788)            0317 (791)
> 24bits      0315 (789)            0318 (792)
>
> And look at mini-howto for vesa
>
> Good luck

Hi
I put 0317 at lilo prompt. If I change the value of VGA=791 it happens
the same effect, black screen and shutdown.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. J. Birchall)
Date: 17 May 1999 15:18:30 GMT

Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anybody know how to control the loudness of the modem's sound when it's
> connecting to ISP? (i have Internal US Robotics 56K).
> Since I do that in Windows, I thought maybe I can do it in Linux, too.

If your modem supports the usual Hayes "AT" command set
(and if it doesnt, what planet are you posting from? ;)
try sending ATM0L0 before dialing.

This means:

AT - ATtention, modem!
M0 - I don't want you to use your speaker at all.
(Other values might make it turn the speaker on only while dialing,
or until done handshaking, or leave it on all the time)
L0 - I want you to set your speaker volume to zero.
(Other values would make the volume louder)

-Dan

--
>From the Linux laptop of Dan Birchall, V.P. of Technology
Digital Facilities Management, Haddonfield, New Jersey
Internet/Extranets/E-Commerce - http://www.digitalfm.com/