From: "welksk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ricoh MediaMaster 4416 Internal CD-RW
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:24:39 +0900

I was wondering if anyone has tried this with Linux and how it is working.
Couldn't find much information on it here or in the How-to's.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "goo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: About creative 3D blaster Riva TNT
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:32:31 +0800

Does anyone know about redhat 6.0 can runCreative riva tnt video card ?
If it can work ! Can somebody mail me [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks a lot ........

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 05:43:35 +0100
From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange problems, please help.

root wrote:

> David Murray wrote:
>
> > Okay, I had a server here running Slackware Linux 3.4 for a long, long
> > time.. it was fine.. but just for kicks I'll give a description of the
> > machine:
> >
> > Intel Pentium 90
> > 48 MB of RAM
> > Award BIOS
> > 850 MB Seagate HDD
> > 2 IDE CDROMs
> > Intel Etherexpress Pro
> > Sound Blaster 16 (Old, non PnP)
> > S3 trio64 Video card.
> >
> > Again, everything was fine but I decided to install RedHat 5.2 instead of
> > Slackware.. so I wiped the drive.  RedHat kept locking up half way through
> > creating the ext2 filesystem.  I tried like 3 times.  Then I formatted the
> > drive with MS-DOS and tried RedHat again and it worked..
> >         next problem... Load Redhat and the network card doesn't work.  During the
> > installtion I told it there was an Etherexpress Pro, but it kept saying
> > "Cannot find device" and so I decided not to install the card and do it
> > later under the Redhat control panel and manually assign it the eepro.o
> > module.  Well, that doesn't work.  During boot insmod says "Device or
> > resource busy" and doesn't install the module.  Of course, ifconfig can't
> > find it because eth0 isn't installed..  The only thing I haven't tried is
> > assigning it manually an I/O range and/or IRQ but I don't know what the
> > card is set to.  This was never neccessary under Slackware with the driver
> > built into the kernel.
> >         Also, Xwindows crashes a lot and the whole system just generally locks up
> > a lot.  Again, this never happened before and this whole hardware was
> > running fine only hours before this project.  What could be wrong?  I have
> > a theory but no real evidence to prove it.  Is the Network card's IRQ
> > somehow moved and conflicting with something else in the system causing the
> > crashes and not allowing me to detect the card any longer?
> >         Please advise possible causes!
> > --DavidM
>
> RH 6.0    ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/Linux/distributions/redhat

David,

Assuming that the EtherExpress has EPROM to hold the settings I would
guess that Redhat is looking for the card on a limited range of settings
and finding unexpected results(Certainly early versions of Redhat
assumed that all cards were set to certain defaults)

My experience with an earlier version of this card with Win95 (Linux
networking the next project)is that it is possible to change the
settings dynamically in the OS even though you may have used (as I had
to) a DOS program to set the card originally.

FWIW I had a similar problem with a SCSI card (Advansys) which I could
never get Redhat to recognise after a full installation-yet it loaded
all the software. Im afraid in the end I went over to SuSE...

Perhaps the answer is to use a simpler card (if IRQs allow) or change to
a more sophisticated version of Linux

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Timothy J. Bird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernal doesn't /dev/cdrom...block device?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:40:10 GMT

Esteemed Linux users,

Whats up with this error message, kernal doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom as
a block device??   All I did was flash my bios.  It worked fine befor
but now mount commands are ineffective.

Any ideas?

Birdman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 06:07:20 +0100
From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI CDROM not working after install

Yusuf wrote:

> I am using an IN-2000 SCSI card with a Pioneer SCSI CD-ROM. During boot, I
> sometimes get a "spurious FIFO interrupt" message when Linux boots. I am
> using IRQ 15, I/O 220, which, under DOS, shows no hardware conflicts.
>
> I have installed Linux from this very SCSI host and device combo several
> times, and have used every combo of IRQ and I/O it offers, and have only on
> a couple of occasions been able to get the CD-ROM to work once the system
> has rebooted from the install.
>
> A cd /mnt/cdrom works, but a dir produces nothing. A umount tells me the
> device is not mounted, and a mount says the device is already mounted or is
> busy.
>
> I am very new to Linux (using RedHat 5.1) and this is very frustrating. I
> have in six installs only managed to get the X windows to work properly
> once. I wanted to load an application from the Apps CD in the RedHat retail
> package, but then the CD would not work as described above.
>
> At any rate, perhaps if someone could shed some light on where to possibly
> look for a conflict, I'd appreciate any input. I have reviewed all of my
> current settings for all installed hardware, and cannot find any IRQ or I/O
> conflicts.
>
> The box itself is an old AST 486 66Mhz Bravo MT with a single IDE channel.
> It has 2 IDE drives (Maxtors - 1.2 GB and 340 MB). It does not have a NIC or
> any ISA slot cards except the SCSI host. The video is an ATI 32 (it is
> listed in the drivers list). Pretty simple but barebones setup with no real
> unusual stuff that does not have a driver listed in the install program.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yusuf

Unfortunately you dont say which combinations might have worked but the
following may help.

IRQ15 is normally the second IDE controller and this may be causing
confusion in the kernel.

Normally SCSI controllers live on IRQ10-12. You dont say whether your
card has BIOS but if so setting the card to an IRQ in that range may
help. If it doesnt have BIOS then you cant boot from the CD-ROM which
would get round the access problem

Just ordering  cd /mnt/cdrom doesnt actually mount the drive: this is a
symbolic link to /dev/scd0 the device proper( when working: here it may
point to nothing much).

Since your dir command produces nothing then there is nothing mounted
automatically by /etc/fstab (have you looked there to see what the
system thinks it should have?)

The mount command response is just telling you that you cannot connect
with the drive probably in this case because of IRQ conflict.

IMHO Redhat likes to find everything in the usual place and is
intolerant of unusual placements

Dan

------------------------------

From: Matthew R Ashe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.2, USR 56 Pnp modem (NOT Winmodem)) - Finally!
Date: 18 May 1999 05:31:14 GMT

HiVizDiver wrote:

>     Well, after two weeks of cursing and pulling my hair out, I finally
got
> my modem to work perfectly under Linux. I thought I'd be smart and
upgrade
> my kernel to 2.2.6, to get PnP support. Heh. What a fool I was. Finally,
> started messing around with the few jumpers on my board (my modem
> documentation said nothing about the jumpers), I managed to get the modem
on
> Com 2, using all the correct port and IRQ settings. Voila, Minicom dialed
my
> modem, ezPPP dialed my modem, Usernet dialed my modem... I was very
happy.
> So the moral of the story is, if you are using a PnP modem, one way to
save
> yourself a lot of headache is to try and disable the PnP on the modem,
> despite what the 2.2.6 kernel may claim about PnP support. (Although I
have
> to say that with a little bit of tweaking, it worked wonderfully with my
SB
> AWE64 PnP - thanks to isapnptools.)
>
>     -Jeff
>

> --
> Jeff Wilson
> "Gentlemen! There's no fighting in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr.
> Strangelove

It's funny, everyone seems to be having the same problem with this modem.
Your message looks like a carbon copy of a post and an Email I sent.  No
docs, yet there are jumpers.  Pnp never worked for me (except once, before
I went to RH 6.0 and never worked again.  Do you happen to know what string
needs to be entered in a com program to get the modem to activate the
caller ID?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 06:16:28 +0100
From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+?

Zack Kluczenko wrote:

> How do I go about installing this card?  When I installed Linux 5.0 I
> had the card installed in the computer and tried to install it at
> installation time, but
> it wouldn't recognize it.  Any suggestions?

Possibly another card with a BIOS expecting to work with a DOS or Win95
program (DOS Softset? downloadable from Intel) which is fine if you boot
Linux from DOS (loadlin) and a pain otherwise. If your using Redhat its
probably making one attempt to communicate with the card at one expected
address which of course you card is no longer set to...

Consulting the oracles I find that the EtherExpress Pro expected default
for SuSE Linux is port 0x300, IRQ 10,reserved memory 0xd000

Hopefully this will work for you

------------------------------

From: Matthew R Ashe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOWTO Awe64, Ditto Max and 3COM/USR 56k internal
Date: 18 May 1999 05:31:19 GMT

nicholas butler wrote:

> I have made a first attempt at constructing a HOW to on the subject of
> getting AWE64, DITTO Max and 56kInternal  modems to work. Its a First
draft,
> probably quite embarrassing really, but I have pulled from my notes the
> issues which arose when installing these devices and I hope you all find
it
> useful.
>

> http://www.ashaman.force9.co.uk/nik/linux/pnpexample.html

I liked yoour little FAQ.  I am going to set my modem back to pnp and get
rid of the /dev/modem and change it as advised in your faq.  The pnp tools
kept saying everything was hunky dory but I never could get the modem to
work.  i ended up manually jumping it.  heck, before that i went as far as
to assign each PCI slot a certain IRQ, set the com 2 IRQ (3) to ISA, the
whole bit.  I never knew about the cua0-3 becoming obsolete.  live and
learn.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: jmouse driver install help?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 05:34:19 GMT

Hi all,

I am installing slackware on a zenith 433VL (486/33)
with the j-mouse pointer system on it (the letter "j"
on the keyboard is the mouse)
I found a driver for it on sunsite which was a tar.gz of
a file called jmouse.diffs and readme which only said the
patch works.

Im at a total loss of what to do with it, can someone point me
in the right direction?
does this file need to be compiled and added to the /drivers/char
directory for a kernel compile? or is a "*.diffs" file for something
else?

any pointers would be appreciated
-fin

From: Dean Plude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:52:32 -0400

Does any one know or have info on ISDN4Linux.I am looking to replace my
modem and goto ISDN and could use
any help that I could get I.E. Hardware choices, ect..

------------------------------

From: "Mario van Ginneken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no SB16 (older type) with SuSE 6.1
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:57:42 +0200

Hi,

Recently I installed SuSE 6.1 on my system, but I can't seem to get my
SoundBlaster 16 going. I always thought SB was as straight as you can get
it, but it doesn't look that way :-)

SuSE's manual describes how to configure SB16 (without OSS), but they talk
about the PnP-version and I don't have that version, mine is an older one,
I'm afraid.

Does anybody have any luck getting an older SB16 to work with SuSE6.1 or
another version of the standard 2.2 kernel?

TIA,

Mario van Ginneken
The Netherlands

------------------------------

From: Dean Plude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: G200 or TNT? (damn, I hate asking questions like this)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:57:44 -0400

Daniel Bonds wrote:

> Ok, I have this old system onto which I'm going to load Redhat 6.0 as
> a learning experiment. Problem is that it's video is an old 2M S3 864
> card that appears to only be capable of 1024x768 under X. With the new
> 19" monitor I just received, that seems a bit of a shame SO.........
>
> For a PCI only system, I'm looking for a relatively cheap (~<$100)
> card that'd be fast with a good high quality 2D picture at high
> resolutions (1280x1024 and 1600x1200). Not knowing Linux, I think
> either a Matrox G200 or something based on a TNT chipset possibly? Any
> personal experience/suggestions out there?
>
> TIA,
> Daniel
> dbonds at bbnow.net (so I'm a bit spam paranoid )
The S3 virge DX is a great choice for about $20.00 US 4MB 100 percent
linux compatable with the SVGA driver
and based on the 375 chipset

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Sully)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Compaq Laptop Modem
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:01:48 -0700

Hi all-
        I'm trying to set up PPP on my Compaq laptop, which has an
integrated 56K modem.  Initially, it was set to some odd memory addresses
(it has two, now set to 2F8 and 1400h, IRQ3).  I can't get Linux to operate
it, even as root - it keeps coming back with "Modem is busy", even as root.
Any ideas?  It works with Windoze.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Brad Pepers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please HELP: 3c905b-tx NIC does only transfer about 2,5MByte/s
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 07:19:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I were very glad about, if you could help me. I'm not very familier
> in linux.
>
> I have bought 2 3c905b NIC's. One of them I installed on my NT4-Server
> and the other I installed on my linux-box.
>
> Linux-Box:
> 2xP166
> Tyan Tomcat III MPS
> Maxtor IDE Drive (UDMA2).
> Redhat 5.2
> Kernel 2.2.1
> Date of file 3c59x.c 7/5/1999

Have you tried newer kernel versions?  2.2.1 is pretty close to a
.0 release and it was at 2.2.9 last I heard so the first thing I
would try is updating to that.  If you still have the 2.0.36 kernel
around from Red Hat 5.2 you could also try that for comparison on
speed (though I think there was a Red Hat errata needed for some
905b card of which mine was one).

I ftp between my 2.0.36 Red Hat 5.2 Linux and a Win98 box with very
nice speed so there is something in your setup.

--
Brad Pepers
Linux Canada Inc.            Home of Linux products in Canada!

------------------------------

From: "C. E. Scheetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:17:48 -0500

I just downloaded and compiled the new 2.3.3 kernel today - and guess what?  USB
support, it does, however have the disclaimer; "Not for the faint of heart."

C. E. Scheetz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I move linux?
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 07:25:13 GMT

basically, something like:

# cd /source
# find . -print | cpio -pv /target

Zoran Cutura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Rod Roark wrote:
: >
: > Millinium Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > >Is there a safe and easy way to move a working linux to another hard
: > >drive?  I have an 850mb as a file and internet server and I want to
: > >move to a 2.1 Gb.  Is there an easy way to migrate to the new drive?
: >
: > Yes.  Make the new filesystem, mount it, and then copy everything to
: > it with cp -avx.  Edit /etc/fstab to suit the new drive location.
: > You'll need a boot diskette for first-time booting.
: >
: > -- Rod
: > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: > Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
: > http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software
: > ----------------------------------------------------------------------

: I think cp is a ungood way of copying! cp can have problems with special
: files (i.e. devices) softlinks might not be copied as links ...
: Usually I'm using tar inthis way to copy a hole filesystem:
:  $ cd /old/path
:  $ tar cf - . | (cd /new/path; tar xf - )

: where new/path is the temporary mountpoint of the new disk!
: But I've also heard that tar is not save with special devices, where
: as on other unices people told to use ufsdump to copy almost everything!
: (I don't know for sure if ufsdump is available on Linux!)

: Hope this helps!

: Bye
:       Zoran

: --
: LISP is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you
: will have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a
: better programmer for the rest of your days.         Eric S. Raymond
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:    _/_/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/ from:  Zoran Cutura,
:           _/   _/      _/     IMH-Innovative Motorentechnik Prof. Huber,
:         _/    _/          post:  DaimlerChrysler AG, EP/VES, T900,
:       _/     _/                  70546 Stuttgart, Germany,
:     _/      _/            phone: +49711 17-42353
:   _/       _/       _/    mobil: +49171 4488407
: _/_/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:        PGP fingerprint: F0 C3 30 F4 B3 7E 22 36  1C 51 B7 60 A9 BB 23 BE

--
Bryan