From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: hdparm settings lost on reboot
Date: 23 May 1999 02:21:03 GMT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 16:49:23 +0200, Johan Söderberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to increase perforemence on  my HD using hdparm. The problem
>is that my settings are lost when I reboot the machine. I've tried using
>both -k 1 and -K 1 but nothing seems to help. Can anyone help me?

You can put them in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
--
Brien
{[EMAIL PROTECTED]}

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi weirdness:
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:56:43 -0400

Hello-

I just replaced my old AHA-1542C with a brand new Advansys ABP-940U, and
it has a weird behavior. I've compiled the advansys driver in the
kernel, and the card works fine, except that, at boot, it seems to
redundantly assign every existent /dev/sdxxx to some nonexistent drive
(my SCSI drives are: a 160M old Seagate and an internal zip). With my
old adapter, the Seagate was /dev/sda, and the zip /dev/sdb4. Now, my
/proc/partitions looks like this:

major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0     166968 sda  /* this is the Seagate */
   8     1         31 sda1
   8     2         16 sda2
   8     3     166800 sda3
   8     4        112 sda4
   8    16      98304 sdb  /* the zip */
   8    20      98288 sdb4
   8    32     262144 sdc  /*WTF? I have no 260M drive */
   8    33       1008 sdc1
   8    34      23976 sdc2
   8    35     237144 sdc3
   8    48     262144 sdd  /* and it keeps repeating this up to sdrr3 */
   8    49       1008 sdd1
   8    50      23976 sdd2
   8    51     237144 sdd3
   8    64     262144 sde
   8    65       1008 sde1
   8    66      23976 sde2
   8    67     237144 sde3
...etc...

Actually, both the drives work well, just as expected; but I still don't
know what to make of it.

One more thing: this adapter claims unconditionally irq5 (the same used
by my sound card) unless I disable in its bios the support for removable
drives...then, I can assign any irq to it, but if I re-enable the
remavable drive support, it jumps right back on 5. Hmmm...

And, oh, it's Slackware 3.6, kernel 2.2.6

MST

------------------------------

From: "Derry Goberdhansingh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X won't run anymore
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:51:35 -0400

I recently installed RH6 and I got X to install just fine. I even had it
running for a couple of days. Then for some reason when I started up my
computer and booted to linux, the GUI screen that prompted the login like it
did a couple of hours ago didn't show up. My screen kept trying to show up
but it was as if the refresh was bad. So I restarted linux by going into
mode 3 and not 5 so that I wouldn't have X start automatically. Well I ran
Xconfigurator and when it was finished I saw the test screen and said ok to
the changes. I typed startx, then the errors came in as follows

_FontTans Socket UNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal Server Error
could not open default font 'fixed'

I reinstalled the correct X86 version for my card and even all the fonts
still doesn't work. If someone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

-Derry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (frenomulax)
Subject: trying to get modem to dial
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 03:55:16 GMT

Hi there folks, I'm looking for a little help getting my modem to dial
out, before trying to configure ppp. I am trying to get it to dial out
with seyon. When I start seyon with:
seyon -modem /dev/ttyS1 &
I get a message 'Modem Initialization routine failed, possible causes:
        No modem device is specified
        Modem device is locked
        Failure to open modem device
Suggested Action:
        Check that you specified the correct port
        Check that no other process is using the modem

I created a link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1, and have opened up
permissions on both.
If I try to start seyon w/ :
seyon -modem /dev/modem &
instead of pointing to /dev/ttyS1 I get the same error messages as
before,
but in a slightly different window, plus a 'seyon terminal emulator'
window
with these messages:
Error: Could not create temporary lock file /var/lock/LTMP.595
Permission
denied
Error: Modem "/dev/modem is locked"
          Modem "/dev/modem" is unavailable
Error: No Modems Available

It seems to get a little further along this way, but notmuch.
thanks,

On win95 I have com2 on IRQ 3,
and my modem on com2, IRQ 10. They seyon FAQ doesn't say anything
about
this error. Obviously there is something I have not yet configured
properly. I'm not really sure how to determine if this thing is a
winmodem, but it is a 56k internal made by Lucent.

I am using Caldera open Linux 2.2.

Any suggestions what to do next ?
thanks,
arnie sherman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TurboExpress Port 920 board
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 03:48:05 GMT

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but under NT, I noticed
my 16750 was very slow until I set the TxFIFO and RxFIFO values to 8.
Things got REAL fast then without errors. I can transfer data between to
PCs at 43,000 cps. So, if you can find the equivalent register in Linus,
set it to 8.

-bob

From: Robert Sprawls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configuring hardware for X
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:18:28 -0500

Hello,
        I have a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, and a Mag DX1595. Can anyone
tell me the specific chipset( for the card ), and the frequency specs for
the monitor? I've had these tings for 3 years and can't find my manuals
for them.

Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cloning a Linux box
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:57:32 -0400

I read a post in comp.os.linux.networking about using Ghost to clone an
ext.2 disk to a DOS partition on a second disk.  My copy of Ghost doesn't
see my non-DOS partitions.  Does anyone know how this is done?

Joe

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to load modules for new hardware
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:00:49 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:
>
> cll>  Hi,
>
> cll>  I posted earlier about a 3com509b card not being recognized at bootup.
> cll>Note that this is a piece of hardware added to an already installed system.
> cll>I have used the utilities (DOS/windoze) that come with the card to set the IRQ,
> cll>base address, and turn off PnP.  Also, 1 of the machines into which I want
> cll>to install the card does not have a PnP BIOS (so there is nothing to do there).
> cll>The other machine does have a PnP BIOS, but I turned the proper IRQ to "legacy
>ISA"
> cll>as per some suggestions-still nothing.  According to the /proc/ioports there
>should
> cll>be no conflict with the 3com card's base address.  There are 2 possibilties
>
> cll>1)  The kernel cannot find the card
> cll>2)  The kernel is not trying to find the card
>
> cll>I feel it has to do with loading the modules.  I am using an out of the box
>(prebuilt) kernel from Redhat 5.2  I used the Kernel daemon configurator as root from
>X windows to set up the /etc/conf.modules with
> cll>alias eth0 3c509
> cll>options eth0 io=0x300 irq=7
>
> cll>Is there something else necessary to do so that the kernel will load that module
> cll>at bootup? (I use kerneld-so no need for all that depmod, insmod, etc..)
> cll> Everything I read just seems to say set up the /etc/conf.modules.
>
> You need to run mkinitrd program to create a new initrd image.  If you bought
>Official RH 5.2,
> this is on page 200 of the manual.  It talks about scsi drivers, but should work for
>NICs as
> well.

I don't think this is useful for anything except SCSI, the NIC is not essential
for the system to boot (unlike the disk).
I believe you are on the right track with the modules. The 3c509 module should
be loaded once the eth0 interface is configured. Make sure it is configured!
Have you run linuxconf to create all the scripts
(/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, etc.)?
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: "Funman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Graphic Card : ATI Expert 98
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:07:42 +0800

I have an ATI Expert 98 AGP Graphic card with 8MB but unfortunately could
not get configured right.

I wonder anyone out there might be using the same card knows how.. I am
using a Philips 107S  17" monitor.

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can't communicate through 2nd NIC
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:02:22 -0700

Hello!

Try adding this line to your ifcg-eth? for the local card:
GATEWAY=24.4.162.173

Good luck!

Steve Snyder wrote in message ...
>I am attempting to configure my server (RedHat v5.2 /w kernel v2.2.9) to
>act as a gateway to @Home through a cable modem.
>
>Apart from any name resolution issues that I have not yet addressed, I
>can't even communicate through the 2nd NIC using a static IP address.  Note
>that I am not yet trying to communicate across my LAN, but to just
>establish communications locally on the server with the Internet via the
>cable modem.
>
>Attempting to ping @Home's name server (IP = 24.4.162.33) fails.  The ping
>just hangs until killed.  Attempts to telnet to the same IP address gets me
>the message "Unable to connect to remote host:  No route to host".  Hmm...
>
>Device eth0 (IP = 192.168.0.12) is connected to my LAN's hub and has been
>working all alone.  Device eth1 (IP = 24.4.162.173, assigned by @Home) is
>the NIC connected to the cable modem.  The LEDs on the 3Com USR cable modem
>indicate that it is communicating with my NIC and that it recognizes the
>signal on the coax cable.
>
>Here is where I'm at:
>
>At boot time
>----------
>eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe400,  00:10:4b:9a:82:e5, IRQ 11
>  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
>  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 786d.
>  MII transceiver found at address 0, status 786d.
>  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
>eth1: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo at 0xe800,  00:60:97:c8:01:c8, IRQ
10
>  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.
>  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
>
>#cat /etc/sysconfig/network
>-----------------------
>NETWORKING=yes
>FORWARD_IPV4=yes
>HOSTNAME="corona.snydernet.lan"
>DOMAINNAME=snydernet.lan
>GATEWAY=24.4.162.173
>GATEWAYDEV=eth1
>
>#cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>---------------------------------------
>DEVICE="eth0"
>IPADDR="192.168.0.12"
>NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
>NETWORK=192.168.0.0
>BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
>ONBOOT="yes"
>BOOTPROTO="none"
>
>#cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>---------------------------------------
>DEVICE="eth1"
>IPADDR="24.4.162.173"
>NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
>ONBOOT="yes"
>BOOTPROTO="none"
>
>#netstat -nr
>----------
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 06:21:08 +0000

This site should help a bit - http://www.linux-usb.org/

> I would really like to get my scanner going so I can
> mke2fs /dev/hda to remove the Redmond virus from my system.

Alas you'll have to wait, there aren't too many USB drivers available
yet, no scanners that I'm aware of are currently supported. You are of
course welcome to develop a driver yourself or at least encourage the
manufacturer to support it.

-- brion vibber ([EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Michael Bain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Device busy for aimslab radio on linux 2.2
Date: 22 May 1999 22:58:48 -0700

Sarantis> You should try to build your kernel with AIMSLab RadioTrack
Sarantis> support in it. We had problems too with the module and it
Sarantis> worked almost fine after we built it in the kernel.  Now we
Sarantis> have a "small" problem: we cannot tune the radio card to the
Sarantis> desired frequency/station. The card seems to ignore these
Sarantis> commands and it tries to scan a station sequentially
Sarantis> starting from 88.000MHz We use radiotrack-1.1 by G.J. le
Sarantis> Grange in order to control it, but we tried also radiod
Sarantis> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and another program by Alberto Vignani,
Sarantis> with the same results. The machine is running
Sarantis> 2.2.6 kernel... anyone having seen this problem?

I followed your suggestion and I'm having the same problem.  Can't
tune a station, so the card is rendered useless.  This is with the
2.2.9 kernel.

--
 Michael Bain  "When in Doubt, Put on New Tires."  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "vancaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.windows95,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.windows.x
Subject: NTFS, FAT32, ext2 multi-boot possible with Partition Magic4.0?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:17:21 -0700

I know both Win98, WinNT on FAT16 and Linux on ext2 is a possible option for
those 3 OS, but I'm wondering if it's possible to multi-boot Win98 on FAT32,
WinNT4.0 on NTFS, and Linux(Caldera OpenLinux 2.2) on ext2 partition...
Would using Partition Magic4.0(and BootMagic) help me making possible?  Or
is it impossible?

If it's possible, could you tell me how to do it?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller, Is it possible to use this card?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 06:54:04 +0000

dave wrote:

> trying to install RH6 but, the boot disk does not recognize my hard drive
> which is attached to a Promise Ultra66 IDE controller.
>
> I found the following web site which explains how to install Linux using
> with a Promise Ultra33 :
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA-5.html
> will this method also work with the Ultra66?   I'd hate to screw something
> up.

I'm told that this does work, yes.

Also an experimental kernel patch for the card is available at
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/, which should enable at
least UDMA mode 2 (33 MB/s), not sure if mode 4 (66 MB/s) is in there
yet or not.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Anyone know if a Nvidia TNT-2 will work with X11?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 06:38:39 +0000

James Stafford wrote:

> Norbert Goebel wrote:
> > And why  have I got my TNT1 card working with 32-bit colordepth?
> > BTW, it is funny, 24-bit does not work, but 32-bit option works (but many
> > programs report this 32-bit to be 24-bit).
> >
> > Norbert
>
> Yeah... why is my TNT1 card running at 32 bit too!

It's 32 _bits per pixel_ but 24 bits of color... The other 8 bits
basically just pad things out, making things easier & faster to deal
with... unless that is you've got a 24-bit processor. :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Creative  Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16Mb/AGP
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 07:05:14 +0000

Andrew wrote:

> I have a Creative Lab's Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16MB/AGP card on
> Suse 6.1 and was curious how to run the Quake 3 test. Apparently there
> are no device drivers for cards without the 3dfx chip on them. I was
> curious if Mesa (www.mesa.org) will allow me to do this. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Well... There's currently no 3d acceleration support for the TNT under
Linux (it's coming... some day... so they tell us... but not here yet),
so your choices are to use Mesa's software rendering (gives about 1
frame per second, but damn does it look nice!) or buy yourself a 3dfx
card to go along with it until such time as drivers are released. These
days you can pick up a Voodoo2 card for less than $80 - you might check
www.pricewatch.com for retailers or www.ebay.com to pick up a used one.

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: With dual-processor system, is SCSI a must or is Ultra-DMA enough?
Date: 23 May 1999 06:51:13 GMT

> The IDE drive would have no choice but to handle them one at a time,
> making the other requests wait.  (The operating system could re-order
> the requests, but once a request goes to the drive, no other request can
> be sent until the first one finishes.)

so what?

> A proper SCSI drive, however, can accept all the commands at once.  The
> drive's firmware should be capable of re-ordering the requests for
> optimum performance, completing them in whatever order is most efficient
> for the mechanism.

prove it.  head scheduling by the OS (which Linux does for ide)
is a good approximation of head-scheduling by the drive's controller.
the drive has slightly more information, but Linux has a much larger
queue.

> Furthermore, I don't think any of these publications test the
> performance of two drives on a single EIDE channel together.  If you put

that would be stupid, of course.  ide channels cost between zero
and $15 apiece.

> In other words, a UDMA-IDE drive and a SCSI drive may perform
> identically in a system where there are no other drives and all disk
> access is coming from one application, but if you put those same drives
> in a configuration with several other devices and multiple simultaneous
> accesses, you'll find the SCSI drive performing better.  Not because the
> bus is any faster (although it might be) but because things block on
> each other less often.

in an era of 25G, 20 MB/s UDMA drives that cost $US 15/GB,
this is not an issue for anything except rather large fileservers.

buy SCSI if you need cable length.  on most systems (say, two
or so drives), you will not see better performance from SCSI.
buying SCSI at anything lower than Ultra2 is highly questionable,
just as running IDE drives in PIO is a travesty.