From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Velvet Acid Christ)
Subject: Re: How do you Change the video Driver?
Date: 28 May 1999 00:50:09 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 1999 13:33:28 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
>card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
>How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
>Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
>Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
>Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
I had the exact same problem a while back. I think I was using the
SVGA server for X. I wound up changing over to the S3V server. Here's
how to do it. Install the XFree86_S3V or SVGA server binary package
(rpm, deb, tgz, whatever your distro uses) then run XF86Setup. Its
pretty easy, choose 'detailed' or whatever when you go to select
your video card, then try the other server. I had great luck with it,
and I suspect you will too.

--
Mental

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mikhail Teterin)
Subject: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:04:10 GMT

Hello!

A friend  of mine received  a working, but too  old and slow  (by todays
standards) Sun workstation for free. The disk is dead, but we have a 1Gb
replacement. The machine has 16Mb of  RAM, is by itself diskless -- fits
entirely in what a casual observer would call monitor. I do not know the
model :(, but can get it if  needed. The disk we have is external. There
is  also  an external  CD-ROM  available.  No  floppy drives  in  sight,
though... The RAM can be increased. A tape drive is a painful option.

Being a FreeBSD fan/user myself,  I'd recommend {Open|Net}BSD for the OS
(FreeBSD/Sparc is  not ready yet), but  I know Linux works  on Suns too.
Students can also get cheap (or free?) Solaris, AFAIK...

The requirements  are to be stable  (of course), have PPP  software, and
run  Netscape...  I'd prefer  to  set  the disk  up  at  home, using  my
FreeBSD/i386 machines, but I'm not sure I  can make it bootable by a Sun
box.

Thanks for your comments!

        -mi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Which modem to buy?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:08:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  SamIam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> this is a good excuse to upgrade to a 56k modem.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions on a good modem to buy at a good price that will work
under
> Linux?  I've been thinking of getting the USR faxmodem because they
are
[...]

I'd go with an external USR modem.  I use a USR Courier V.Everything and
have been very happy with it.  When I was last shopping for modems (>1
year ago) the Sportsters were placing nearly as well as Couriers in
various tests, but the Couriers were significantly better at dealing
with line noise, so I went with the Courier for about $250.

I've used the modem safely and without trouble under Windows95,
WindowsNT, and under RedHat Linux 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2.

If you're looking for a U.S. vendor, I used comp-u-plus
(www.compuplus.com) and was satisfied with their pricing and service.
I've also bought my 3dfx accelerator cards from them as well.  Obviously
I like them well enough to recommend them!

As others have said in this thread, avoid winmodems or any other kind of
"software modem".

Best of luck.
--
Paul Munn, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP T4000s SCSI Tape Drive
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:20:33 GMT

Hi all,

I have just acquired an HP T4000s SCSI Travan (TR-4) 4/8 GB tape drive
and installed it in a PCI system using a BusLogic BT-950 (FlashPoint LW)
PCI to SCSI host Adapter.  It detects fine, but when I try
$> mt -f /dev/nst0 status
or any other mt command, I get "/dev/nst0: No such device".  I am using
RedHat 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36 and am loading the BusLogic driver as a
module.  I have checked the system logs, and the newly installed
Buslogic adapter appears to initialize successfully (I can provide logs
if necessary).  When I first installed the card and the drive I booted
by typing at the lilo prompt, "linux BusLogic" to load the driver with
the default settings.  The very first few times I ran "mt" on it as
above, it would pause, and then the drive would start moving the tape
(like the tape was being accessed) and then give the "No Such Device"
error above.  After rebooting and using insmod to load the driver,
trying it on a RH 6.0 install on a different partition (to see if the
2.2 kernel made a difference), and other such things, it doesn't even
spin the drive anymore...it just immediatley gives the error.  I've
searched the archives of this and other newsgroups, but I am at a loss.
I'm fairly new to SCSI, but not to Linux, so if I need to do something
to initialize the host adapter better (or more correctly), please let me
know.  If I need to do something to have it recognize the tape drive in
Linux (which I thought it would automatically do if the SCSI card was
installed properly) please let me know that as well.  I have seen
several postings on this newsgroup from the past with people stating
that this drive works fine for them, so I am keeping hope (unless I just
bought a bad drive:-()

I desparately need to get a backup done on this machine, so I really
appreciate any help.

Regards,

Bill~

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS settings
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:44:06 -0400

I'd like to see other responses on this, because I don't fully understand
what's going on.

In my BIOS, the option is "Enable/Disable Plug'n Play _Operating System_",
and it was Disabled as received from the dealer while configured with Win
98.
My assumption is that the BIOS itself handles the PnP.  (This is a fairly
recent
vintage OEM version Intel MB - Pentium II, PCI).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Actiontec PCI Modems supported?
Date: 27 May 1999 20:19:30 -0500

On Thu, 27 May 1999 22:08:44 GMT, Rob Clark wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Karl Shultz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Is anyone aware of special trickery you'd have to use to install an
>>Actiontec PCI v.90 modem in a Linux box?  "cat /proc/pci" sees
>>*something* in the slot with a Rockwell chipset, but won't dial.
[snip]
>>Any ideas out there?  a PCI modem seems like a terrific idea to me.
>
>Try the instructions at the bottom of the page here:
>  http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
>
>Actiontec claims to have one working with RedHat.  If you get yours to
>work, please let us know, because you'll be the first "civilian" to try.

Yes indeed, we're waiting!
I wonder who sells those modems..

As to
>>  a PCI modem seems like a terrific idea to me
-- in a sense, a PCI modem is almost as cool (and useless) as a supersonic
stroller....

Best,
a.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nathaniel eccs)
Subject: Re: building a dual processor system?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:24:48 GMT

Yeah get the MSI 6905 1.1 slotkets, 17 bux a pop

www.censuspc.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:36:50 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Problem to install X on FOSA 3100C notebook

ITSD wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Redhat 6.0 on FOSA 3100C notebook.  I got the
> display problem when setting the X configuration.
>
> It comes with 1024x768 LCD, ATI 3D with 4Mb.
>
> When I chose ATI MASH64 3D II  as  video card, and "LCD panel 1024 x768"
> as monitor, a blank white screen was displayed.
>
> If I chose "LCD panel 800 x 600" or "LCD panel 640 x 480",  it had
> double vision.  The screen was overlayed on the lower part of the
> screen.
>
> How should I set the X display correctly?  Thanks.
>
> Leo Tsoi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I guess you have the ATI Rage Pro LT chipset in your box, so I'll give
http://www.fachschaften.uni-bielefeld.de/physik/leute/marc/X/
a try.

Good luck,
Marc

------------------------------

From: alpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ethernetcard NE2000
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:55:57 -0400

i bought the link sys 10/100 card
and it is a total piece of crap
it uses software to program the irc and io
and that messes up a win nt system with dual hard drives
and i have never got the card to function properly
and the software must be run under dos (will not program from linux)
i would recommend the d-links
and defiantly stay away from linksys

------------------------------

From: Craig Sharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with /linux/.config
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:58:40 +1000

Hi

I'm in the process of installing a 250 MB zip drive but the imm driver
requires a /usr/src/linux/.config
but my Red Hat 5.2 version hasn't installed it onto my system.

So does anyone know where I can get .config or how to make it myself????

thanks cs

------------------------------

From: Grant Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Labs AWE64 Sound Card
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:46:45 -0700

Hi.

I have this sound card and I can't seem to get it to work.  I've got
installed as a module under RedHat 6.0.  I have a isapnp.conf file in
/etc.  I've done everything that the Soundblaster-AWE-HOWTO.html and the
AWEDRV Frequently Asked Questions pages tell to do.  Now what?
Everytime I run modprobe -a sound I get a core dump.  Thanks.

grant

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin C. Weissman)
Subject: Re: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:55:15 GMT

Pete ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Mikhail Teterin wrote:

: Sound like a Sun Sparcstation ELC or SLC. Recommendable:

: - RedHat Linux 5.2 Sparc
: - or older Solaris Relase (2.5.1)

: I would take RedHat Linux into closer consideration. I am using it on my Sun
: Sparcstation 2 and my ELC. Runs fine, but 32 megs are recommenable,
: espacially if you want to run Netscape which is a real memhog

I am also running RedHat 5.2 on my ELC with 16MB. I can't complain, I'm
running afterstep at a usable pace. Although, netscape does indeed tend to
be slow, but I can live with it.

Just be weary of RedHat's Sparc docs, they don't appear to have been
updated in a while. Also, there's a definate possiblility that the NVRAM
has gone dead on it (like mine). If this is the case, you can get around
it without actually replacing the nvram. You can find out how to do this
somewhere in www.sunhelp.com, or just ask me.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)            |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.

------------------------------

From: Felix Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Fwd: Sound Problems]
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 01:06:02 -0400

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: Felix Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Problems
Sender: Felix Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 00:47:02 -0400

======_=_NextPart_002_01BEA8AE.50B393B0

Hi Everybody,

I have problems configuring my sound card.  I writing down some
information about my computer:

Distribution Red Hat 5.2 Kernel 2.0.36-1
Intel Celeron at 300 Mhz
RAM            64
Onboard 3D Sound Pro meets PC98' SPEC and supports HRTF Positional
Audio, Direct Sound Wave-table Synthesizer, and Digital Audio Interface
(SPDIF) IN/OUT.

Attached is my isapnp.conf file which I construct using pnpdump and
isapnp with the command PEEK.

When I try to configure the sound card I do the following:

isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
modprobe -a sound

But nothing happen.
When I cat the file /dev/sndstat, it shows that there are not driver
loaded.

Please let know if I am missing something or my card have any problem,
etc.

Thank for your help.

Regards,

Felix Sanchez

======_=_NextPart_002_01BEA8AE.50B393B0

# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.15a 1998/05/25 17:22:16 fox Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d

# (DEBUG)
(VERIFYLD N)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE)
#(ISOLATE CLEAR)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d)
# Vendor Id CMI0001, Serial Number 16777472, checksum 0x8D.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->CMI8330. Audio Adapter<--
#

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 0
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
  (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
  (INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))
  (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
  (ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 1
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0300))
  (INT 0(IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))
(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 2
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))
  (ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 3
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
  (INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E)))
  (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
  (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
 (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:08:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Karl Shultz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is anyone aware of special trickery you'd have to use to install an
>Actiontec PCI v.90 modem in a Linux box?  "cat /proc/pci" sees
>*something* in the slot with a Rockwell chipset, but won't dial.
>
>I've tried all the possible numbers for /dev/cua_ , and relinked
>/dev/modem to those.  The card is apparently supported under SCO
>UnixWare and IBM OS/2, so I imagine that it could work under a Linux box
>too.  Sadly, the instructions describe installing it through specialized
>SCO tools.
>
>Any ideas out there?  a PCI modem seems like a terrific idea to me.

Try the instructions at the bottom of the page here:
  http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

Actiontec claims to have one working with RedHat.  If you get yours to
work, please let us know, because you'll be the first "civilian" to try.

Good luck!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: "Santosh H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need an x server
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:30:58 +0530

Hi,
 I'm having problems with X recognising my video card.I have a Cirrus
GL-5446 PCI card with 1Mb of VRAM.Could some one point me to a place where
i could get an X server which supports this guy.

thanks & bye :-)

santosh

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with /linux/.config
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:18:24 -0400

Craig Sharpe wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing a 250 MB zip drive but the imm driver
> requires a /usr/src/linux/.config
> but my Red Hat 5.2 version hasn't installed it onto my system.
>
> So does anyone know where I can get .config or how to make it myself????

The .config file is generated when you do a "make config" in
/usr/src/linux (and choose your kernel options).  There are
various ways of doing this.  The easiest is "make xconfig" which
gives you a nice tcl/tk interface to the configuration; plain
old "make config" forces you into a linear set of choices with
no way to backtrack if you goof up.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: "Matador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.scsi
Subject: Re: SCSI help!!
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 03:50:36 GMT

Hello.. I have a 1542CP, I have the bios enable, but I would like to disable
and still get it to work for my CDwriter, as I have it that way for windows,
but to be able to get it to work on LinuxI had to change to enable the bios,
do you have any information about this??
Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic A. Martinelli)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: MS natural kbd and RH6 XFree86
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:38:06 +0200

During the Glorious Wed19 May1999,
in a moment of deep contemplation about:
MS natural kbd and RH6 XFree86,
 RBasham alias R,
 passing by comp.os.linux.hardware,
"RBasham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> astonished us by those words:
[R]> Has anyone run XF86Setup and attempted to select the MS Natural as their
[R]> keyboard?  I have attempted 3 times now and manage to generate a core dump on
[R]> all 3 occasions.  The window system runs fine, Gnome starts and I have a useable
[R]> system but I'm just curious.  I think it's XFree86-3.3.3.1-43 (base package that
[R]> came with RH6.0).

   (Sorry to reply just today, but i haven't spot that post before.)

   Here's the manual changes that i made to /etc/X11/XF86Config :

   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc105)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc105"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc105"
    XkbLayout       "fr"

   It's for a french mapping but it should be easy to modify.
   Now the useless M$ keys are the 'Meta' keys under Xemacs, i've made
2 little Tux (the Linux penguin logo) and glued them on the keys ! :)

   Happy Linuxing, :)
   Fred.
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(°-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AGP versus PCI
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 03:48:01 GMT

There are a couple of good reasons to get an AGP card.  A big one for me
is that it free's up a PCI slot.  The AGP also has a much higher
bandwidth, which allows it to do better when it runs out of ram.  The
difference between the performance of AGP and PCI cards is currently
minimal, but it's likely to increase in the future.  As for a card to
get, if you'ge getting one now, I'd get a Matrox G200.  They perform
REALLY well under X, and under 98.  Haven't heard anything about NT,
yet, but I'll bet that they do pretty well there, as well.
    Greg