  Riva TNT only in 256 colours. ("Ray")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (somebody)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SB PRo compatible with no valid driver
Date: 28 May 1999 03:56:30 GMT

Hi

I have an OPL3-SAx on-board and it works fine now.  I used pnpdump to generate
an isapnp.conf file and compiled the support as a module.  There's some good
documentation that comes with the 2.2.x kernel about modular sound support (in
general and for the OPL3-SAx).

Hope this helps.

Harland

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

From: Bradley M Keryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3DNow instructions and Linux kernel?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:12:59 -0400

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Marc Mutz wrote:

> Piers B. wrote:
> >
> > Will the Linux kernel be taking advantage of the 3DNow instruction set from
> > AMD anytime soon?

[snip]
> Graphics has nothing to do with th kernel, because it's the Xserver that
> rules it. I don't think it's likely that the kernel will drag much use
> out of 3DNow, and OpenGL is in it's very beginning as far as Linux is
> concerned. But Linux is well aware of 3DNow and saves its registers
> (although they are the same as for MMX), so I guess user software can
> use it.

Yep, user software can and does use it. The current beta of Mesa 3.1 has
some 3DNow support (I haven't benchmarked it or anything so I don't know
how much faster it is, but it's there). The mpeg player 'mpg123' also
supports 3DNow. Also I think the 3DFX Voodoo3/Banshee 3D driver alpha
supports it too, but I could be wrong.

> The question should be whether there will ever be a
> MMX/3DNow/ISSE-*gimp*... :-)

Well, maybe some of the filters...

        Brad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: No loopback adapter, or neighbor table overflow
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 04:54:08 GMT

Hello! I seem to have a problem with my PCMCIA nic and redhat 6.0.  When
I start my machine at work, where it is connected to the network, and is
a server there, it runs just fine.  When I have the network cable
disconnected, or when I have it plugged into a different network at
home, I get neighbor table overflows.  I can boot if I take the nic out,
but if I put it back into the machine at home, it begins giving me
errors.  Something that may or may not be related.  When I start the
machine at work, it does NOT automatically start the loopback adapter.
I have to start it manually.  However, when I remove the NIC from the
machine and boot it, the lo adapter starts.  Anybody have any ideas?
   Greg

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding a second SCSI adapter
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:20:45 -0700

David,

     You could compile a custom kernel and build support for the Adaptec
1542B right into the kernel.  It would then be detected when Linux boots
up.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: voodoo3 support
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:06:02 -0500

Lee Sharp wrote:

>    The Banshee driver has V3 support.  It is still somewhat raw, but it
> works.  It is on the edge 3d website who's url escapes me at the moment.

That would be http://glide.xxedgexx.com/.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "North Star" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:21:46 -0500

Did RedHat fix mouse support for ELCs?  I successfully loaded RedHat 5.1
Sparc but the mouse never worked (tried both model 4 optical and model 5
mechanical)  Is it worth it to move to 5.2?

Kevin C. Weissman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Pete ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> : Sound like a Sun Sparcstation ELC or SLC. Recommendable:
>
> : - RedHat Linux 5.2 Sparc
> : - or older Solaris Relase (2.5.1)
>
> : I would take RedHat Linux into closer consideration. I am using it on my
Sun
> : Sparcstation 2 and my ELC. Runs fine, but 32 megs are recommenable,
> : espacially if you want to run Netscape which is a real memhog
>
> I am also running RedHat 5.2 on my ELC with 16MB. I can't complain, I'm
> running afterstep at a usable pace. Although, netscape does indeed tend to
> be slow, but I can live with it.
>
> Just be weary of RedHat's Sparc docs, they don't appear to have been
> updated in a while. Also, there's a definate possiblility that the NVRAM
> has gone dead on it (like mine). If this is the case, you can get around
> it without actually replacing the nvram. You can find out how to do this
> somewhere in www.sunhelp.com, or just ask me.
> --

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

------------------------------

From: Tracy Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: How do I change color depth?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:15:43 -0500

vancaf wrote:

> I'm running Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and Netscape has "black&white" problem.
> People told me it was caused by 24bit color depth.  How can I change color
> depth to 16bit in KDE or in Linux terminal?
>
> Thanks

Change the "Depth  24" to "Depth  16" the "Section "Screen"" part of the
/etc/X11/XF86Config file.

You may have 3 or 4 at the bottom of the file, but you probably only
have one with "Depth  24".

You can safely change all "Depth  24" to "Depth  16" if you wish.

Tracy

------------------------------

From: Chris Capaci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.list,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: RH 6 and Ultra66 ATA
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:28:10 -0400

so does this mean that i can't install any version of linux because i have the
ultra66??

------------------------------

From: "Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Riva TNT only in 256 colours.
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:11:58 +0100

Managed to install XFree86.3.3.3.1 today on Redhat 2.

Selecting riva tnt if xf86config it tells me that it's chosen a SVGA server
from the card defenition.

It only runs it 256 colours which is fine as that is what I've always
understood svga to be but replies to an earlier post have told me xfreed
supports up to 32 bit colour.
I can use all resolutions I selected.

BTW.  I managed to avoid a hefty download (we pay for calls in the uk !) by
getting xfree from the May 99 issue of PC Plus magazine.