From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]!>
Subject: cdrecord fails
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:39:40 -0600

OK, I'm starting to get frustrated and wonder if there is a problem with
my drive.  I have not been able to successfully burn anything under
Linux with cdrecord 1.8 and have also had problems under other operating
systems as well.  cdrecord gives me more info than anything else,
though, and I wonder if someone out there could help me decipher what
exactly the error message is telling me.

I am attempting to burn copies of the Cheapbytes RedHat 6 CD, 634 MB in
total.  I usually get through about 600 MB and then the bus appears to
lock up.

The drive is an Acer CRW6206A with firmware 1.3A.

The messages from cdrecord are listed below:

Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW CRW6206A'
Revision       : '1.3A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 393216 = 384 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  634 MB
Total size:     729 MB (72:14.78) = 325109 sectors
Lout start:     729 MB (72:16/59) = 325109 sectors
Current Secsize: -1
ATIP start of lead in:  -11640 (97:26/60)
ATIP start of lead out: 337350 (75:00/00)
Disk type: Cyanine, AZO or similar
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 337350 Blocks current: 337350 Blocks remaining: 12241
RBlocks total: 349030 RBlocks current: 349030 RBlocks remaining: 23921
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: 610 of 634 MB written (fifo  99%).
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 04 C4 40 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 08 CB 9C 21 16 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x16 (logical block address out of range) [No
matching qualifier] Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)

The command I used to do this dummy burn (same thing happens during a
regular burn) was:

cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -dummy speed=2 /dev/scd0

Additionally, during the boot sequence, I seem to get a hard reset
during the device detection.

Kernel version is 2.2.5 as shipped with RedHat 6, recompiled for
ide-scsi emulation into the kernel.

My hard drive is on the integrated primary IDE controller, CD-ROM and
CD-RW drive are on the integrated secondary controller.  I've tried
both:

* CD-ROM as master, CDRW as slave
* CDRW as master, CD-ROM as slave

This did not seem to make a difference.

The system uses an Abit BH6 system board.  I have downloaded and applied
the latest flash ROM for the system.  That also didn't seem to make a
difference.

Given the problems I'm having with the drive, I'm tempted to send it to
Acer for repair/replacement.  It's outside of the return period to the
retailer, but definitely not out of warranty.  I thought at first the
problem was media related - I had been using Memorex bulk media (50 CD
spindle) and had not had a single successful burn; however, switching to
Hi Val media has resulted in two failed burns, one successful burn, and
then the problems during this dummy burn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you wish to e-mail me, please
note the spam-proofed address.  The instructions on how to e-mail me are
located on my homepage, or you can send to jhenderson at bigfoot dot
com.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

------------------------------

From: "vancaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: How do I change color depth?
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:03:40 -0700

I'm running Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and Netscape has "black&white" problem.
People told me it was caused by 24bit color depth.  How can I change color
depth to 16bit in KDE or in Linux terminal?

From: "David Bates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise ATA/66 Card
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:28:51 -0700

I have this card installed on my machine and I can't get the RH installation
to recognize it.  I understand that there are some boot parameters you can
pass to the kernel during installation, but I could not get them to work for
me.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP versus PCI
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:18:15 -0500

D. Wade wrote:

> The local PC dealer is pushing AGP. like Blaster Riva TNT AGP card.
> Is anyone running any of the latest AGP cards?

Yes.

Notice, however, that there doesn't seem to be any work going on towards
providing support for 3D acceleration for the R-TNT's.  If you want to do
Linux 3D, see http://glide.xxedgexx.com/ and consider the pros and cons
of the hardware discussed there.

> From the X11 driver's viewpoint, is there any difference between
> the PCI and AGP versions?

Didn't see anything about it during configuration, and my AGP card works
fine....  It appears to be completely transparent.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texa

------------------------------

From: Demon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I upgrade my kernel?
Date: 27 May 1999 14:31:17 GMT

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Celeron's and SMP Performance Problems
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:42:55 -0400

Guys,
as much as I've learned from this duel, I think it's time to get it off
the NG. Why don't You get Yourselves a decent-sized Origin 2k, or, say,
16-frame SP2 (silver) and then continue in private e-mail? I can help
You set-up either one. For a case of beer a day + travel costs (just put
me up at Your place for a few nights each). Really! Now stop it. Please.

------------------------------

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get multiple replies quickly
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 07:40:39 -0700

If you have trouble getting replies to your newsgroup messages:

1) Ask your system administrator about known problems with the news
service.

2) Try http://www.deja.com - a free, searchable newsgroup frontend web
site.  Search for your name or keywords from your original subject line
and message body to see if anything turns up.  This could help you
confirm #1.

3) Look for answers to your question before submitting your question.
:)  Some people will not post newsgroup replies to FAQs.  Again you can
use http://www.deja.com for this, as well as http://www.linux-howto.com,
and many other online resources.

--
Brett Neely, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x505 tel, 415.701.7457 fax

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I move linux?
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:44:10 GMT

Keven R. Pittsinger wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Thierry Michalowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Just to add: under Unix, for the same thing I always used some sort of 'dd' or
> > 'dumpfs' command ...
> > example: dd -if /dev/yoursourcedevice -of /dev/yourdestinationdevice ...
> > Hope this helps...
>
> Thing is, that makes an exact image of the partition.  Not what you want
> if you're trying to move your setup to a bigger hd.  You wanna *copy*
> everything, not make an image of it.

In addition, why pass up an opportunity to defragment the filesystem?
Granted, fragmentation is not much of a problem with any decent
filesystem, but if you are already moving the bits, why not?

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Robert C McDougle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Drive Size To Big" When Installing RedHat 5.2
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:56:51 -0400

I'm curious what you mean >> The limit is actually 1024 cylinders <<

Does this apply to the total drive spec or is this somehow related to just
the definition of the "/boot" partition?
--
R C McDougle
rcm Arch Design

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: 28 SCSI drives
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 04:57:47 GMT

Next week I'll be installing RedHat on my CD-ROM tower when it gets
moved from Novell over to a SMB network.  I know that the stock install
does not have enough /dev/sd? entries to handle 28 SCSI cd-rom drives.
How can I remedy this situation so that I can use all of my CD-ROM's?
Thanks,
    Greg.

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:03:11 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting the PIO mode

Why are you trying to set the disk to a slower (PIO x) mode

> > hdparm -p 4 /dev/hda

when you're already getting > 12MB/s?

>  Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  2.55 seconds =12.55 MB/sec

Try 'hdparm -tT /dev/hda' and reread quantium's page.  33MB/s is the
theoretical burst rate from the disk's cache.  Also see the Ultra-DMA
HOWTO and hdparm(8).

--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc
Subject: Re: Terabite Plus Filesystems
Date: 27 May 1999 14:31:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Jake Maizel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: We are building a system that needs to handle a huge number of files
: that are 500KB-1MB in size (1-2TB total).  Our only constraint right now

To my knowledge, today's ext2fs on ix86 hardware can support file
systems upto 2 TB (2^31 blocks of 512 bytes). However, file sizes
are limited to 2 GB (which is not a problem in your case).

Now, ext2fs probably doesn't have a problem handling millions of files
in such large a fs.

Also, you might benefit of Linux's RAID5 features to create this huge
device. However, Linux, at this time, as no volume management: you cannot,
for example, extend a filesystem by giving it a few more
disks. However, if your files are on /big-disk/area1 and /big-disk/area2,
area1 and area2 can live on different filesystems, making expansion
possible, but painful.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin)
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Ati Rage Fury 128
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:41:24 -0400

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've gotten my Expert 128 AGP (which is the 16MB card with the 128 GL
>chipset) to work according to the docs...
>
>However, I can't get 1280x1024 to run non-interlaced.
>
>BTW: I'm running Linux 2.2.5 (started from Redhat 5.2 packages).
>I'm running XFree86.
>
>Is there anybody that know how to force X to run non-interlaced (I've been
>hacking the XF86Config file for a while now, too).

These things are usually due to your monitor specs.  Check your monitor
specifications to see if it can handle 1280x1024 in non-interlaced mode.
--
Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

From: digitalklown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dev/lp0 (or lp1 or lp2) not detected for printer
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:59:06 GMT

In article <7ibuc2$fra$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "John Zbesko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I attempt to install a printer, I use the RedHat control-panel
printer
> control. It says it cannot detect any parallel ports  (/dev/lp0,
/dev/lp1,
> /dev/lp2) and there might be a hardware error. I'm puzzled because I
have
> been able to use the p-port successfully for a zip drive. (I do the
printer
> configuration without the ppa module loaded.) I must be missing
something.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Z

i was having a similar problem, and still am, in some repects with the
imm driver in the 2.2.9 kernel release. I checked through the
documentation of the kernel (referrence: parport.txt) and found that if
PNP support was loaded into the kernel there would be possible
problems. If my memory serves me right, the problems mentioned were it
would find it on another port, or not find it at all. Check out that
txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation

From: "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any benefit to tweaking the 3C900B optimization settings?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 05:23:36 GMT

I've got a 3Com 3C900B (10Mbps PCI NIC) card that connects my LAN's server
to a cable modem.

The 3C900B has 3 optimizations settings that can be configured with 3Com's
config utility:

        1. Optimize for maximum performance.
        2. Optimize for minimum CPU use.
        3. Normal (balances performance and CPU use).

The factory default is setting #3 above.  Given that this card acts solely
as a conduit for the packets transferred between the server and the cable
modem, I wonder if "max performance" wouldn't be a better option.

Any thoughts on this?  Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap external modem
Date: 27 May 1999 10:49:34 -0400

"Joshy George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Try Filand 56K Fax external modem.
> I'm using it. Also note that it won't work on ttyS0, but on ttyS1 it's
> alright.

that's odd.  being an external modem, how would it know it what ttySn
it was hanging off of?  is there some asymmetry in the linux serial
drivers or hardware difference between your serial ports?

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:59:18 +1000

On Fri, 28 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There are a couple of good reasons to get an AGP card.  A big one for me
> is that it free's up a PCI slot.

Yes, that's a good one. :)

> The AGP also has a much higher bandwidth, which allows it to do better
> when it runs out of ram.

One of the big features of AGP is the ability of the card to access the
main memory at high speed. e.g a 3D card using main memory for things like
texture memory.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the extra bandwith (2x and soon 4x) is
only for these special transfers. For normal sort of work (i.e "2D") it's
just your normal PCI speed. But I might be mistaken.

> The difference between the performance of AGP and PCI cards is currently
> minimal, but it's likely to increase in the future.  As for a card to
> get, if you'ge getting one now, I'd get a Matrox G200.

I second the G200. If you're coming from a Matrox Millenium II, you might
not notice much of a difference. I came from a $50 Virge 4M card and the
difference in the clarity of the picture was amazing. I've since heard
that Matrox cards have always had good picture quality.

> They perform REALLY well under X, and under 98. Haven't heard anything
> about NT, yet, but I'll bet that they do pretty well there, as well.

... and a GLX (AKA OpenGL) module is in the works. I have a beta version
and it works pretty well. I don't seem to have enough memory to run full
screen with all of the acceleration (Z-buffers and the like), so I might
upgrade to 16M. Lower resolutions like 640x480 and 800x600 seem to provide
for some acceleration. I know the developers are working on optimizing the
code. Q3Test runs, but not very fast.

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "D. Wade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've been running Linux for years, usually on Matrox Miilenium II's,
> > on PCI bus. It's time to get another machine. It'll be a Linux/NT box.
> >
> > I'm confused about the AGP vs. PCI support with X11. I'll also be
> > putting RH6 on the new machine. I've check the XFree86.org site, but
> > didn't see much about AGP.
> >
> > From the X11 driver's viewpoint, is there any difference between
> > the PCI and AGP versions?

>From what I can tell, AGP is basically an extension of PCI. The AGP card
shows up in /proc/pci or any other scan of the PCI bus.

So, if a video driver has to be modified, I think it's very little - if at
all.

XFree86 3.3.3 supports most of these newer cards, including the G200 (AGP
and PCI versions). Don't know much about the TNT.

hope this helps,
bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:14:20 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There are a couple of good reasons to get an AGP card.  A big one for me
> is that it free's up a PCI slot.  The AGP also has a much higher
> bandwidth, which allows it to do better when it runs out of ram.  The

The AGP and PCI#1 slots share an interrupt, so the freed up slot is not
usually that valuable.  Given that the memory to AGP slot speeds are 5x
faster than PCI bus, I thought it would make a bigger difference.  Try

        http://developer.intel.com/drg/mmx/AppNotes/agp.htm

for a dated but readable introduction to AGP.