  APM an Xircom Network Card (Eric Kihn)

From: Luca Satolli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,flashnet.it.hobby.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problem with Iomega ZIP.
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:28:56 +0200

HI, I've installed RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) and now I've some trouble
with my parallel port Zip.
With my old version of Red Hat (5.2) I've only to do "insmod ppa" from a
root account and then to mount the correct sda device (4 for Dos disks
or 1 for Linux disks).
Now when do "insmod ppa" I get a list of errors:

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_claim_Rcca15f23
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_device_R064ebecf
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_device_R3618c96f
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_enumerate_R648d1e26
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_release_R4430d136

I've seen that a new module is loaded by kernel (parport), so I suppose
that I have not to to "insmod ppa" and just mount but it doesn't work!
How can I do? Where can I found some documentation on that?
Thanks a lot and Best regards
Luca Satolli

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: additional info
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:30:43 GMT

Brian Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7imii9$197$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> As one indication of its sleep status, the screen blanked and the power
> light of the monitor blinks. As soon as you wake it up (for example by
> pressing the shift key), the power light of the monitor turns green.

> I wonder this is an apm problem or compaq bios problem.

   A user problem. :-)  Go into the BIOS and disable APM.  If you removed
the Compaq partition, or it is not in Lilo, you can boot off an F10 Setup
disk from the compaq website.

                        Lee
--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: wouter rusman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.scsi
Subject: Re: SCSI help!!
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 12:11:21 +0200

David C. wrote:

> Jari René Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Cecilia Di Chio wrote:
> >>
> >> I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> >> installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.
> >
> > I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
> > Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
> > firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.
>
> From what I've read, it needs a BIOS for Linux to auto-detect it.  You
> should, however, be able to manually load the driver.  Try using the
> "insmod" utility.  You may have to specify the card's configuration via
> parameters as well.
>
> (I don't know what those parameters might be.  My 2940UW and 1542B
> didn't require any.)
>
> -- David

in /etc/conf.modules write:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
option aha152x aha152x=0x140,12,7
where it is " aha152x=i/o-adress , irq , scsi-id "

it will now scan the bus for devices and map them to the devices in /dev
e.g. /dev/scd0 for a cd-player/writer and  /dev/sda0 for a disk
this works for my ava-1515 which is allmost the same.
it only has a bios, but that doesn't matter here, becuase it is disabled

------------------------------

From: trefor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Disk :Suicide is not an option :)
Date: 29 May 1999 09:53:31 +0000

Hi
perhaps that should be lo :(

I have 2 identical hard drives

klogd reports

<6>hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63
<6>hdb: ABM-LTTA-3=1810, 8063MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=2455/128/63

fdisk /dev/hda produces :)
/dev/hda1   *        1        1
       64   514048+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2           65       65
     1232  9381960   83  Linux native

#This is correct

fdisk /dev/hdb produces :(

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 2455 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

/dev/hdb1   *        1        1
    16772 67622912+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
phys=(63, 246, 63) should be (63, 127, 63)
/dev/hdb2        16449    16772
    17033  1051233+  83  Linux native
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
phys=(202, 246, 63) should be (202, 127, 63)
/dev/hdb3        16580    17033
    17067   136552+  82  Linux swap
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary:
phys=(219, 246, 63) should be (219, 127, 63)
/dev/hdb4        16597    17067
    35743 75302014   83
Linux native
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary:
     phys=(1023, 246, 63) should be (1023, 127, 63)

#This is not

This should read

/dev/hdb1 will be the same as /dev/hda1 in size
          though I think it is in the win9x thing

The reason for it being the same is so that
I can cat from one to the other the entire
partition.
I was absolutely astonished when this worked.
This is the reason the drives are identical.
This is not the reason for the present
problem as this operation has not been
needed since swapping boot drives in bios
is enough to kid dos/win.
Most of the others are paired 400M connors.

/dev/hdb2  Linux native IIRC this is about 1G
/dev/hdb3  Linux swap size is as close to 128M
           as I could get but <128M
/dev/hdb4  Linux native the rest of the disk

This is not new it has been running for a long
time.

So
Possibilities

Genuine hard disk failure

Are these disks prone to failure ?
Is the disposal of hard drives formally known
as "IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache"
likely to become an enviromental problem :)
Cos I got another one.

A low level format has been attempted
I have seen similar output from fdisk
after this was done. Though whether
another prob would produce it I do not know

A malicious attack cannot be ruled out
though it would have to have come from
within linux as the dos partitions
have not been fired up for a long time.

WetWareStupidity.The value of this variable can grow
exp^H^H^Hquickly

Divine intervention: See alt.binaries.pictures.erotic*

The identity string is fu^H^Hcorrupted
IIRC ide drives report what the bios
needs to hear to get under a limit
255 heads probably.

If this is the case would it be repairable as
a disk.
I think that to hope for the safe return of the
data is a bit too much to ask santa for.
If it cannot be got back to it's original
size is it possible to format it at a size that
will be acceptable by the bios and at least get
some real estate out of the deal.

I have a saved locatedb dated prior to the disaster
I forgot -p on copying and lost the date
it is at max 2 days old though.
So I do know what has gone (so far I have not looked)
The difference between the filesizes of the old and new
locatedb's is quite nasty enough for the moment.

I have klogd outputs from Mar  3 05:02
the fw chucks it's stuff there
I have iptraf outputs from Feb 25 16:03

OUTPUT from klogd on a reboot dated May 26 21:28:
klogd 1.3-3, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Loaded 6255 symbols from /usr/src/linux/System.map.
Symbols match kernel version 2.1.108.
Error seeking in /dev/kmem

Error adding kernel module table entry.

<4>Linux version 2.1.108 (root@treforh) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #83 SMP Mon Apr 5
12:29:54 UTC 1999
<4>Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
<4>Calibrating delay loop... 341.61 BogoMIPS
<4>Memory: 127864k/131072k available (892k kernel code, 400k reserved, 1872k data, 44k
init)
<6>Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
<6>Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
<4>POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
<4>mtrr: v1.21 (19980521) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
<4>CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) stepping 01
<5>SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
<6>Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039 for Linux 2.1
<6>NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.16 for Linux NET3.038.
<6>Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.037
<6>IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
<4>Initializing RT netlink socket
<4>Starting kswapd v 1.5
<6>Serial driver version 4.26 with no serial options enabled
<6>ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
<6>ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
<6>ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
<4>RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
<4>hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, ATA DISK drive
<4>hdb: IBM-DTTA-351010, ATA DISK drive
# This is reading correct at this point
# The id string is not corrupted

<4>hdd: PHILIPS CDD3610 CD-R/RW, ATAPI CDROM drive
<4>ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
<4>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
<4>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
<6>hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63
<6>hdb: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63
# This is also reading correct at this point
# The id string is still not corrupted

<6>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 1.44M
<6>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
<4>Partition check:
<4> hda: hda1 hda2
<4> hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
# So far so good

<4>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
<4>Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k freed
<6>Adding Swap: 130748k swap-space (priority -1)
# The swap partition is /dev/hdb3
# From here it gets suspicious

<4>EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
<4>VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev 03:44.
<4>ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
<4>NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x360: 00 00 21 49 54 15
<4>eth0: NE2000 found at 0x360, using IRQ 12.
<7>SIFMTU lo(ifconfig)
<7>nfsd_init: initialized fhcache, entries=256
<2>EXT2-fs error (device 03:42): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 80 not
in group (block 134873095)!
<4>EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
<7>VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:3c
<7>VFS: Disk change detected on device 02:3c
<4>nfsd: terminating on signal 15
<4>nfsd: last server exiting
<4>exp_do_unexport: 03:02 last use, flushing cache
Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Kernel log daemon terminating.

endof OUTPUT from klogd on a reboot dated May 26 21:28:

The Laymans(steady girls) opinion is that
although from the bootlog above it would appear
that something went wrong in this boot as
the id string is ok etc.
There was already a problem which occaisened the
reboot.
ie. this is 1st log after disk misreads and closing down.
It is booted from a kernel catted to a floppy.

So I(we) have a 9671MB disk going down the drain
and I dont know which button to push next.

Any  suggestions

Tia

trefor
--
I will never ever buy another IDE disk

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tekram cards
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:12:34 GMT

Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: warning scsi a lert.

: I've seen some articles that say that tekram cards seem to work with linux.

: has anyone run a Tekram 390U2W vs. a (you know who!) 2940U2W?
: or how about the 390F vs. the 2940UW?

: I'm debating between the two kits...I will go with the tekram
: if the performance is even close.

its as good or better.  I have 2 tekram cards - works just dandy with linux.

: I like the Tekram box...seems that the Adaptec box lacks a separate LVD term
: (My drive will be an IBM, which is a kicking drive but lacks on-board
: term)
: plus there is a huge price difference.

I just bought a tekram 390u2b card yesterday and a brand new 9gig
10krpm ultra2 ibm drive.  again, all is fine with linux and this
combo.

remember to enble spin-up on the card's bios - the drive was 'spin on
command' jumpered when I got it and the bios was not set for this (by
default).

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: wouter rusman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.scsi
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:41:46 +0200

Jari René Jensen wrote:

> Cecilia Di Chio wrote:
>
> > I've added a SCSI card on my PC (AHA 1505) after Red Hat 5.2
> > installation and now my system doesn't recognize it.
> >

> I have the same card (for my CDR). Trying to getting it to work with
> Linux, I read some where that the card needs to have a BIOS ( ROM with
> firmware ) in order for Linux to work with it. - then my quest ended.

this is because you'll have to help linux find it...
in /etc/conf.modules type:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
options aha152x aha152x=0x140,12,7

where aha152x=i/o-adress,irq,id

this works fine for my ava-1515 which is more or less the same model
it only has a scsi-bios

succes

------------------------------

From: "Michael J. Denny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for HP Visualize FX6 card
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:34:29 -0500

Has anyone developed a driver for the HP Visualize FX6 card? Apparantly
HP has not developed one yet!

Mike Denny

From: "Brian Zhou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to stop compaq deskpro from auto sleeping
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:38:59 -0700

I have RedHat 6.0 running happily on compaq deskpro 5133, only that after
running a while it falls asleep. No ping, no telnet, nothing. I have to
physically press some key or move the mouse at the console to wake it up.

Anybody knows how to disable this?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c905B card related problems
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:09:33 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have been to Donald Becker's web site,
> downloaded the latest 3c59x.c file (which includes
> fixes for the 3c905B card).  I rebuilt the kernel
> (version 2.0.36) and now at boot the 3c905B card
> is recognized but the kernel panics when it cannot
> mount the root device

I have two of those cards, working happily with the new kernels
(from 2.2.5 to 2.2.9). Your problem may be related to some kind
of conflict bewteen the bare driver and the rest of the kernel.

Why not upgrade the whole kernel to 2.2.9 -- the 2.2.x series
is much faster and 3c905 is supported by 3c59x driver, included with
the kernel sources and working flawlessly.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,linux.redhat.install
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: /dev/eth0
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 07:33:39 GMT

"Kelvin Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have a Caldera Open Linux 2.2 installation that does not have /dev/eth0.

No surprise. There is no /dev/eth0 .

>What do I have to do to create on so that I can install and configure my
>ethernet card?

Rebuild your kernel to be including the needed driver(s).

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:42:11 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ISA future domain SCSI card driver?

Kelvin Leung wrote:

> I got RH 5.2 with kernel 2.2.6 and it seems to me that it doesn't support
> my Future domain ISA SCSI card (18x00 chipset). Any idea?
>
> Kelvin
Did you say *ISA*? You know: modern HD's do up to 12 and more MB/sec.
ISA does only 2-3 MB/sec!!!!
Buy a new card for approx. 100[$/euro] and you'll be a lot happier....

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager)
Subject: tekram cards
Date: 29 May 1999 06:31:04 GMT

warning scsi a lert.

I've seen some articles that say that tekram cards seem to work with linux.

has anyone run a Tekram 390U2W vs. a (you know who!) 2940U2W?
or how about the 390F vs. the 2940UW?

I'm debating between the two kits...I will go with the tekram
if the performance is even close.
I like the Tekram box...seems that the Adaptec box lacks a separate LVD term
(My drive will be an IBM, which is a kicking drive but lacks on-board
term)
plus there is a huge price difference.

Will a Tekram (symbios chip?) get it done for UW or U2W?

Thanks in advance
--
 Jeremy A. "Odin" Yager - musician, poet & future engineer
NC State University : Materials Engineering : NCSU Marching Band

------------------------------

From: "Kristopher A. Kersey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux friendly hardware list?
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 02:52:53 -0400

Check out: http://www.comphardware.com

------------------------------

From: "Scu News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper 550 AGP
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:53:51 +1000

Does anyone know how to get the Diaomond Viper 550 (Nvidia TNT Chipset) AGP
Card to run X under Redhat 5.2? I can't even get it to run in the simplest
VGA mode.  Also, does anyone know of any 3D drivers for it?
Thanks
Cam

------------------------------

From: Jari Lietzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Graphics Tablet for Linux
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:43:02 +0300

Erik Lins wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I would like to use some kind of graphics tablet (on which one can draw
> with a kind of pen and has some button for certain actions) with linux
> (especially GIMP).
> Of course, a simple one, which behaves to the computer like a mouse
> should work, but I would prefer using it together with my PS2 mouse and
> not instead of. One possibility could be to have a PS2 mouse and a rs232
> graphics tablet and to change X11 setting according to the device I want
> to use at that time. More elegant would be to have both available the
> whole time.
> I didn't find any tablets especially for linux, but maybe someone knows
> one, which works.

Hi!

I'm using SummaSketch II tablet with Linux. X11 is configured to use PS2
mouse and tablet support is added with tablet driver from
MicroStation95. Tablet support can be added or removed when needed. You
can find more information about MicroStation95 Academic Suite from
http://www.bentley.com/academic/support/suppreq.htm

HTH

-Jari

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FREE HARDCORE XXX SEX PICTURES!  2313
Date: 29 May 1999 10:21:53 GMT

free no bullshit xxx sex pictures visit

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~nigel32/freepictures.htm
tfcvxizlhefdtjzvjlctldsczqkgvoycdolmbxnecpkyvikteggnfiltesxvvkwduhzrpisfhybuewhntvhzfctbtqzzibrtvgb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: recognizing all my RAM
Date: 29 May 1999 07:59:22 -0400

Mailed and Posted Jeffery.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jeffrey Bridge  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-I have a nice Slack 3.6 install, still using the default 2.0.35 kernel,
-running with a K6/233 on a VIA MVP3 chipset motherboard. There are two
-DIMM slots, four SIMM slots, 1 AGP, 3 PCI, and 3 ISA, but I don't know
-the exact specification number of the motherboard. Now, I had one 64
-megabyte DIMM (PC100 SDRAM) in, and it worked fine. Then I added
-another, identical, and the BIOS found it, but Linux still only sees 64
-megs. Actually, it sees maybe one meg more than it did with 64 physical
-in, but it is not seeing the 131072K that it should. I have searched for
-the proper kernel parameter to specify how much RAM you have, but
-couldn't find it. If someone could inform me of possibly BIOS settings
-or kernel parameters to make it find all the RAM, I would be greatly
-indebted, because otherwise it's a $54 piece of junk.
-

I'm sure the answer is in the other posts of this thread, so I'm just
parroting.

First of all the BIOS is partially at fault. While it does detect all
128M, the standard BIOS memory reporting scheme only allowed a max of 64M.
BIOS manufacturers updated to a new call.

This is where 2.0.35 fails. It uses the old call, instead of the new one
hence the 64M report.

Two easy ways to fix. The first and best is to get and compile a 2.2 kernel.
First because it does the right call to get all the memory. Second because
it's flat out better than the last 2.0 kernels.

Second is to add an "append=mem=128M" line in your /etc/lilo.conf and rerun
LILO.

And lastly, did you search www.deja.com for this question? It's almost
continously posted and I'm sure you'd have gotten about a million hits.

Hope this helps,

BAJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Wilson)
Subject: Re: BIOS settings
Date: 29 May 99 07:48:06 GMT

"Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Allen Wong wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>When I configure the BIOS, do I enable or disable Plug 'n Play?

>I'd like to see other responses on this, because I don't fully understand
>what's going on.

>In my BIOS, the option is "Enable/Disable Plug'n Play _Operating System_",
>and it was Disabled as received from the dealer while configured with Win
>98.
>My assumption is that the BIOS itself handles the PnP.  (This is a fairly
>recent vintage OEM version Intel MB - Pentium II, PCI).

As I understand it, this option should only be enabled if you run Win95/8
and no other operating systems on the machine in question.

This option tells the BIOS not to configure all the PnP devices itself as
the O/S will do it itself. If it is disabled then Win95/8 may not be able
to override choices made by the BIOS.
--
David Wilson  School of IT & CS, Uni of Wollongong, Australia  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric Kihn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: APM an Xircom Network Card
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 05:55:10 -0600

Greetings,

        I've got a Latop (Digital HiNote 2000) running Linux (RH 6.0) 2.2.5
kernel. Everything is fine except that when the APM modules goes to
sleep mode it takes out the network card (Xircom 10/100 - 56 K combo)and
never lets it back. Even a network -stop, -start combo will not let me
get network back though it restores fine after a full reboot. Is this a
known bug? Has anybody got a patch or work around? I'd hate to disable
APM but that may be the only choice.

Thanks as always.
--
Eric Kihn