From: Jon Radon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: Network Backup
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 15:50:04 -0400

I have a network running at 100mb... consisting of two linux systems
(rh5.1 and 5.2), and two windows 95 machines.  I would like to implement
an easy backup solution... Unfortunately I don't have a ton of cash to
blow .. $200-$300 is probably a max... total storage comes in at around
10gigs or so.  Im wondering what's the best hardware solution for a
setup like this??

However, if this is not practical, a backup of just the linux systems
would be fine (about 6 gigs total)...

--
 .sd[ jr ^ p1mp crew ^ She's a, she's a, she's a, she's a..heroin pig ]bs.

------------------------------

From: "test" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UMAX UDS-IS-11 SCSI card information...
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,comp.periphs.scanners,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 19:18:55 GMT

http://support.umax.co.uk/technotes/f096B.htm has information on using this
card that comes with your Astra SCSI scanner with NT 4.0 and Win9x...

http://x35.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=468097680 has more information on getting
this card to work in Linux...

------------------------------

From: David C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newer Zip drive doesn't work under Linux
Date: 29 May 1999 16:38:36 -0400

"Dave Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Now I need to figure out how to load the modules each time I boot but
> I think I can figure that out. :)

In the worst case, you can edit (or create) a /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
script and put the required modprobe or insmod statements in there.

That's what I'm doing now with my Adaptec 1542B SCSI card, since I don't
know another way to load it at boot time (other than rebuilding the
kernel with the module built-in, of course.)

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Desnoyers)
Subject: slow video (mpeg playback, window moving (not that bad) on Matrox G200
(Marvel)
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 19:58:59 GMT

I have a Matrox  Marvel G200 and video playback of mpg files is VERY
slow! any idea why ? Is the video driver optimized for 2D accel ? I
use Linux-Mandrake 6.0. XFRee 3.3.3.1 of course.

------------------------------

From: Grant Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/sndstat file
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:11:45 -0700

Allin Cottrell wrote:

> Grant Lowe wrote:
>
> > How can you create this file?  I think the one I have right now is
> > wrong.  Thanks.
>
> Create it with "mknod" (man page available).  I think that
>
>   mknod /dev/sndstat c 14 6
>
> Would do it.
>
> --
> Allin Cottrell
> Department of Economics
> Wake Forest University, NC

Hi Allin.

That worked. Now how can I update the file to contain the right info?
Thanks for the help!

grant

------------------------------

From: David C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sony SDT9000 Compression
Date: 29 May 1999 16:41:14 -0400

Ken Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've recently installed a Sony SDT9000 DDS3 Tape drive, but have been
> unable to get compression to work.  Effectively, the tape drive is
> acting like a DDS drive.
>
> 'mt status' returns this:
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>
> However, if I try to force the density to 0x25 (DDS3) or 0x24 (DDS2) I
> get this:
>
> /dev/tape: Input/output error

What length tapes are you using?  Most (if not all) DAT drives auto-set
the density based on the tape length.  60m and 90m tapes will use DDS.
120m tapes will use DDS2.  125m tapes will use DDS3.

I've never seen a drive that would let you override this.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc
Subject: Re: Terabite Plus Filesystems
Date: 29 May 1999 13:35:34 -0700

"Al in Seattle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I don't see where money is an issue in his original mail.

I believe the statement was that he wanted to stick with
*x86 architecture for cost purposes.

>Other than the fact that you folks all use Unix based systems that
>are recommending Unix based system, what technical reason are you
>siting for not using an NT based system?

We regularly find 2-3 times the sys admin manpower required
for NT boxes compared to UNIX boxes in the same setting. And
I've had more than enough experience with the blue screen of
death. There are a number of core problems with NTs usability.
Such as,
1) Want to put in a new video card - reboot about 10 times.
2) Video server built in to the kernel
3) Want to extend functionality - send a check for $10k to
   Redmond
4) Want to program - send another check to Redmond - one
   for each language
5) Having problems with the OS - too bad. Call Redmond and
   pay out the nose while you wait on hold, and then talk to
   someone who knows horribly less than you about the OS.
6) Remote administration
7) Lack of a respectable scripting language for administration
   purposes

>Some of the quotes:
>"I feel that if your data is important and you want a file server
>that comes up and stays up, you should discount NT immediately. I
>have heard some horror stories about NT with very large directories "
>no basis in fact here.

>"PCs are just not built to the same standard as most of the "real"
>Unix boxes from Sun, HP, IBM, SGI, etc. The one exception that comes
>to mind would be the Sequent range."  pure bs. It simply depends on
>what you are willing to spend.

PCs with *x86 architecture have about 1/3 the computing power
of an alpha at the same clock speed. That is the penalty for
keeping legacy chip architecture around.

>Compaq and others have totally capable boxes if you want to spend the
>same kind of money that the Unix crowd delivers.

I understand the Compaq XP-2000 is a quite capable box. If you
don't have the $$ for that you can try the DS-10 from Compaq for
about $3500   + $1200 or so for Tru64Unix (or linux for free).

--
Dave Blake

From: "Tom Barnes-Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (Newbie) PCI 9660 video X windows
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:05:23 +0100

Drew Adams wrote in message ...
>I have resently installed RH 5.2 and everything seems fine except for my
>xwindows server.  When I configure it It detects my PCI video card
(Assuming
>that this is the problem).  Upon completion I start up X and my start bar
is
>about an inch tall and my resolution is 320 * 203 or somthing like that.
Is
>there a way to change the resolution on the video card?  I did select
>multiple resolutions for my monitor.

    (presuming you don't know about this, sorry if this isnt it):
X supports multiple resolutions, but the virtual res is always the same.
You use Ctrl_Alt_+ and Ctrl_Alt_- to change physical resolution.
I think most setups give the lowest res on startup, which I personally
don't see the logic of (lower res is only useful _occasionally_).
    Sorry to see your post seems to have gone so long with no answer,
I've not had useful replies to some of mine recently either.
Of course, you might have figured this thing out by now, or given up :P

--
Tom Barnes-Lawrence (aka Tomble the Bod)
Kindly remove eggs and spam from email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Greer)
Date: 29 May 1999 21:25:59 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 09:35:48 -0500, Dave Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I recently purchased another parallel port Zip drive and discovered that it
>will not work under Linux but works fine in Windows and DOS.
>
>I've tried the 2.0.36 and 2.2.5 kernal with the same results.

Quick answer:  2.0.36 disks and below use the older style 'ppa' driver for
older zip drives.  In addition, you need to temp disable printing (lp) if you
are sharing the same parallel port between them.  If you have a newer-style
zip drive, you'll need to obtain the 'imm' driver, rather than use ppa.
Also, you need to make sure you are running a kernel that supports SCSI,
even if all your drives are IDE, since the parallel zip is a pseudo-scsi.

To use the zip drive:
rmmod lp
insmod ppa
insmod imm   <----- use this instead of ppa if you have newer drive
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt   <--- make sure disk is actually in the drive

KERNEL 2.2.0+ great news!:
This kernel contains *both* the ppa AND imm drivers, so no need to go out
and find the imm driver.  In addition, there is no longer any need to
disable printing since they now can share the same parallel port.

Check out Slackware's iomega.s bootdisks.

I also believe you can visit www.torque.net/~campbell to get the latest
ppa and imm drivers.

Hope this helps out a bit...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:49:24 GMT

Hi there.

I am having a problem with a number of machines that my company has
bought.  After installing RedHat and Linux attempts to reboot itself,
the reboot fails.  It unmounts the system and gets to the line right
before the reboot should occur, but then it freezes and the reboot
never occurs.

Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the same
failure ...

It is pretty important that I find a solution this because we will need
the capability to reboot the machine remotely.

As a test, I booted from a DOS disk and ran a "reboot" command that I
downloaded from the old Simtel archives... It worked fine.

As an additional test, I tried booting the computer using Slackware
boot disks and issuing its "reboot" command... This failed just like
RedHat, so it is definitely something about Linux.

The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS, Adaptec
SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.

Thanks for any help,

-Will Hatcher

From: Paul Gregg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: IDE RAID - Promise Fasttrak ?
Date: 29 May 1999 21:40:15 GMT

Hi all,

I'm posting this to both Linux and FreeBSD groups (cos I use both for
different purposes).

Essentially I have about 16 servers used for different things and I plan to
build a central "pooling" backup server.  This server will backup, daily,
data from each of the servers.

However, As I've already spent a small fortune and have limited budget
at the moment ($2,200) I thought I'd have a box built that uses IDE RAID.

Essentially I was thinking about a BX board with 2 x Promise Fasttrak IDE
RAID controllers.  Each controller would have 4 x 16Gb (maybe 18Gb) UDMA33
drives giving me a total backup storage space of around 128Gb of space.

I would also have IDE capacity CDROM in the box, and I plan on possibly
adding a DLT 40Gb tape drive sometime in the future.

I've done some searching and found nothing.  So, my question is:

  Will this kind of configuration work using either Linux or FreeBSD ?

spam guards).

Tia,

Paul.
--
Email pgregg at tibus.net |       CLUB24       | Email pgregg at nyx.net    |
Technical Director        |      INTERNET      | System Administrator       |

------------------------------

From: Jordi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using more than 4 IDE devices
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:25:00 +0000

Hello!

What can I do if I already have 4 IDE devices attached to the computer
(2 HD, CDRom, Atapi ZIp) and I desperately need to attach more hard
drives?
Can you use a PCI controller along with the motherboard's controller to
create extra channels? If so, which chipsets/brands are recommended for
use with the 2.2 kernels?
Is it as simple as inserting the controller and building the kernel to
have support for it? After, will the kernel just find the /dev/hde,
/dev/hdf... and so? Anyone know if this create any problem to Windows?

Thanks in advance,

        Jordi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kurt Fitzner)
Subject: CD-RW kernel ead/write block support
Date: 29 May 1999 21:40:11 GMT

Is there a patch out there that will allow block read/write support for
CD-RW's?  Write support has recently been added to the Linux UDF filesystem,
and I am very interested in mounting my HP CD-Writer read/write.

I've tried it under ide and scsi emulation.  I've tried the DVD-RAM patch,
but nothing seems to work.  Is block read/write support for CD-RW planned
for a future kernel at all?

        - Kurt.

------------------------------

From: Olivier LE ROY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:05:28 +0200

1ère étape: Compilation d'un noyau

-cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1

Editer le fichier /etc/lilo.conf, ajouter les lignes:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1

label=linux-2.2.1

root=/dev/hd <-- ici indiquer le disque

read-only                   de la partition root

p. exemple:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=500
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1
                    label=linux-2.2.1
                    root=/dev/hdc1
                    read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-3
                    label=linux
                    root=/dev/hdc1
                    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-3.img
                    read-only
other=/dev/hda1
                    label=dos
                    table=/dev/hda

-lilo
La compilation du noyau est terminée,  au reboot il y a possiblité lorsque
lilo est chargé et après appui sur la touche TAB de choisir de booter sous
Linux-2.2.1, Linux
(l'ancien noyau pour secours), ou bien DOS.

Pour obtenir une aide sur la compilation d'un noyau:
http://www.chez.com/rsvj/linux/kernels.html

2ème étape: allocation des périphériques pnp isa

-pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

Editer le fichier /etc/isapnp.conf, supprimer des lignes au besoin, dans la
partie Maxi Sound 64 series, pour obtenir

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE CLEAR)
(IDENTIFY *)

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 0
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
(IO 3 (BASE 0x0800))
(ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 1
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0201))
(ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 2
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0330))
(INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
(ACT Y)
))

(WAITFORKEY)

Sauvegarder ( p.ex Kedit, il s'agit du menu fichier)

Sous DOS (ou WIN98) inserer le CD-ROM "Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D", la
procédure d'installation commence. Cliquer sur le bouton "installation DOS
réel". Choisissez
le répertoire, par défaut C:\DOSMAXI.
Lorsque l'installation est terminée, si tout se passe correctement, afficher
le contenu du fichier C:\DOSMAXI\MAXI64.INI.
Pour configurer les adresses d' E/S de la carte sonore, IRQ et DMA,
reprendre les informations contenues dans Maxi64.ini pour les adapter dans
/etc/isapnp.conf. (dans
l'éventualité où d'autres cartes PCI seraient en conflit)

3ème étape: Modification du fichier rc.local pour prendre en compte les
nouveaux périphériques au démarrage.

Après avoir configuré la carte sonore via isapnp il est nécessaire de
charger les modules son avec les informations d' E/S adéquates.
Editer le fichier /etc/rc.d/rc.local, ajouter les lignes

#allocation des périphériques pnp ISA
isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

#installation des modules pour Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D
modprobe sound
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
insmod mpu401 io=0x330
insmod opl3 io=0x0388
insmod v_midi

Peu importe l'endroit, pour une Mandrake 5.3, par exemple, à la suite de
echo >> /etc/issue
Sauvegarder le fichier.

4ème étape: utilisation de LOADLIN

Mounter le CD-ROM de la distribution Mandrake 5.3, copier le fichier
loadlin.exe (celui ci se trouve dans le répertoire /mnt/cdrom/dosutils) sur
le disque de votre W98.

taper (ligne de commande DOS): copy con linux.bat

smartdrv /C
loadlin c:bzImage root=/dev/hdc1 ro
vga=3

CTRL Z

Copiez le noyau /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage sur le disque W98.

Procédure de démarrage de Linux:

Lorsque l'ordinateur redémarre, au prompt LILO saisir DOS
Taper F8 immédiatement, ensuite sélectionner ligne de commande.
Taper Linux + ENTER

En utilisant l'installation proposée ci-dessus, la commande cat /dev/sndstat
me donne:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5 #5 jeu mai 13 23:55:17 CEST 1999
i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: ESS ES1688 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

Si cela ne devait pas fonctionner correctement, tu me dis à quel endroit et
tu m' envoies le message d'erreur.
Bon courage.

      Olivier LE ROY
      Portable 06 12 02 51 68
      E-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Date: 29 May 1999 07:33:50 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 20:48:49 -0700, Grant Lowe wrote:
>Hi.
>
>How can you create this file?  I think the one I have right now is
>wrong.  Thanks.

Why do you think it was wrong? /dev/sndstat is used by sound driver and the
config that you can see by doing cat /dev/sndstat is produced by sound driver.
If you think that your /dev/sndstat is wrong, then you may have misconfigured
your sound driver.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan|[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |i|
|MacOS 8.6    +   |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|