Linux-Hardware Digest #369, Volume #10           Sun, 30 May 99 18:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SiS 6326 Daytona graphic card (Matthew Monacelli)
  hauppauge wintv pci (Dieter Franzke)
  Vibra16 onboard ("Lorenzo Lutti")
  Re: Tape Backup Question (Hugh Fader)
  Re: Mylex BT-950 Flashpoint SCSI Adapter (Dieter Rohlfing)
  ioremap vremap : unresolved symbol with insmod (Daniel Lintjens)
  Re: Slackware 3.6, PS2 M77 and 2.88 Floppy (Richard R Urena)
  Re: Using more than 4 IDE devices ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Zip Disks fail to Mount ("Marc B. Sitkin")
  Re: Newbie humble Q: can't run autoboot.bat at D:\ (Eugene Strulyov)
  EPROM reader/programmer for Motorola MC6870 (Charles)
  Tornado modem ("eelco")
  X-Server ("Dr. Markus Pflaum")
  Re: Quickcam VC (Walt Shekrota)
  Re: Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous? (slye5)
  Re: ABit BH6: 4 PCI cards (Andy)
  Re: eject a cdrom ("Gene Heskett")
  Scanner & SANE with 2.2 Kernels - anyone managed it? (Phillip Deackes)
  IRQ 61, TLB IPI problem (Andrew Daviel)
  @home & networks  8559 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Matthew Monacelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS 6326 Daytona graphic card
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:58:25 -0400

Let me know if you fix this, I am having the same problem with the SiS6326 4MB
AGP card.

Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Franzke)
Subject: hauppauge wintv pci
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:48:22 GMT

Hi,
my wintv pci card is running well under win98.
Under Linux suse 6.1 Kernel 2.5 the card won=B4t run.
Neither xtvscreen nor kwintv work!
All packages are installed but nothing happened!

Ciao

dieter

------------------------------

From: "Lorenzo Lutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Vibra16 onboard
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:38:08 +0200

I have an Intel EV motherboard with an integrated soundcard based on Vibra 16S
chipset. How can I make working this soundcard? HOWTOs assert that it's
compatible with SB16, but in my case this isn't true: it appears totally
inexisting to kernel.

Bye! Lorenzo Lutti
http://members.tripod.it/fidocad/

------------------------------

From: Hugh Fader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Backup Question
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:12:24 GMT

The Hardware-HOWTO mentions a module called ide-tape. However, this is the only
documentation I can find anywhere about this. Can anybody share with us how to use
this? Does it make the IDE tape look like a SCSI, floppy interface tape or
something else?

A more broad question is where do you find information on any module? There are a
whole bunch of them and the information seems to be scattered among HOWTO's and
web sites.

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Rohlfing)
Subject: Re: Mylex BT-950 Flashpoint SCSI Adapter
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 20:36:24 GMT

I'm using the Mylex BT-950 Flashpoint SCSI Adapter in 2 PCs, with IBM
DCAS 4.1 GB on the 16-bit side and a Plextor CDROM on the 8-bit side.
Kernel is 2.0.36. Works for me without any problems for more than 18
months.On Fri, 28 May 1999 17:52:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I need some help with this one.  I have obtained this adapter, as well
>as an HP T4000s Tape Drive, an NEC SCSI CD-Rom Drive, and a SCSI Zip
>Drive.  I am attempting to install the Host adapter on a Redhat 5.2
>machine with kernel 2.0.36.  I am trying only one device at a time right
>now to try and get it to work.
>
>------------------------INFORMATION---------------------------------
>KERNEL OUTPUT ON BOOT
>scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
>SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
>scsi0: Resetting BusLogic BT-950 due to Target 2
>scsi0: *** BusLogic BT-950 Initialized Successfully ***

Check target 2 (whatever device that may be), the controller has some
problems with that device: termination? Active termination is allways
better than passive termination.

Per default the Mylex controller automatically sets the termination on
the adapter side. This feature works with Mylex controllers, but not
with Adaptec controllers. Maybe you should set the adapter's termination
manually.

In case you have another controller: do the devices work with that
controller?

Dieter Rohlfing

------------------------------

From: Daniel Lintjens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: ioremap vremap : unresolved symbol with insmod
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:10:23 -0400

Hi folks,

I am writing a device driver and I need to use the ioremap function to
access the boards memory.

Now when I compile it with this line

        ACTadress = (unsigned long) ioremap (ACT40BASEMEMADRRS, 16 * 1024);

it compiles great, no warnigns, no nothing. When I try to do an insmod
however, I get an unresolved symbol error. Same if I use vremap (the old
name?) but then I get a compiler warning saying that I impleced device
this function.

Anyone out there who know's what i'm doing wrong ? I use the 2.2 kernel.
Should this work with 2.0 ?

Daniel
<><

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard R Urena)
Subject: Re: Slackware 3.6, PS2 M77 and 2.88 Floppy
Date: 30 May 1999 14:21:11 -0400

Chuck Bland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I can boot the machine from floppy into LINUX or DOS. I can access the
>floppy from DOS, but not from LINUX. When I try to mount it, LINUX
>complains of a segment error. MTOOLs won't talk to it either.

Try to mount /dev/fd0u2880

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Using more than 4 IDE devices
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:39:33 GMT

According to Jordi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The problem is that I ALREADY have the spare IDE disks and I would like to
> be able to use them. If I go for SCSI it's buying the controller and the
> disk, which is a LOT more expensive and would leave those IDE HD's in the
> drawer of the desk. What I was looking for is a way of using what I have, as
> cheap as possible. A PCI controller should be cheap, don't you think?

Depending on how many of those IDE drives you have and their actual
capacity, it may be cost effective just to throw them in an old PC and
set it up as an NFS file server.  If the drives aren't ultra-IDE
anyhow, you won't loose too much throwing them in an old 486, which
people are practically giving away these days.  Set them up with
striping and you'll be able to improve performance a bit as well.  If
you need throughput for large files, 100 Mbps ethernet cards are
pretty cheap these days too.

No, it's not the best solution, but if you already have the extra
hardware it could be a free one...

-p.

------------------------------

From: "Marc B. Sitkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Zip Disks fail to Mount
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:39:36 GMT

I've got a problem mounting Zip disks. Some will mount perfectly well,
others not at all. All are formated for Windows file systems, and work
on windows machines (or Mac's)
They simply refuse to mount or reformat on Linux. Any help in pointing
me to a solution would be greatly appreciated.

thia
marc sitkin

------------------------------

From: Eugene Strulyov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie humble Q: can't run autoboot.bat at D:\
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:50:41 GMT

just put the CD in, go to BIOS and change the boot sequence so it boots
from CD

From: Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EPROM reader/programmer for Motorola MC6870
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:27:15 -0700

I am looking for an EPROM reader/programmer for Motorola MC68701 cpu
chip that I can use with a 80286 or higher PC.

charles k5hqr

------------------------------

From: "eelco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tornado modem
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 11:06:05 +0200

Hi

Could anybody give me some information if it possible to configure a Tornado
SFM560-PR (PCI) modem under Linux. It is a cheap "Windows-build" internal
PNP-modem.

Greetings Eelco Geels

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Markus Pflaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-Server
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 22:48:27 +0200

Subject:              X-Server Konfiguration
Date:                  Sun, 16 May 1999 23:50:18 +0200
From:                  Moritz Schottenloher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi everyone,

ich habe ein Highscreen Advanced III (von Vobis) der mit der
GrafikarteATI 3D Rage   LT Pro (auch ATI 3D LT Charger genannt) laeuft.
Ich kann nicht, egal mit welchem server, das X-Window installieren. Wer
hat aehnliche Probleme geahbt und kann mir helfen,

i have a notebook, Highscreen Advanced III (company: VObis) which runs
with the grafikcard ATI 3D Rage LT Pro, which is also named ATI 3D Rage
LT Charger.
I cannot install the X-server with this grafikcard. Who can help me,

Moritz Schottenloher
please send message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Walt Shekrota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quickcam VC
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:56:16 -0400

Mark Everhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone been able to get the Quickcam VC to work?

 No...

There is a package supposedly in the alpha stage not yet avail by the
same author of package for OS2.
As you must know Logitech has been less than open with the specification
for these. Hope their sales reflect their inability to play with others.
We can probably expect something soon. I too have one from recent market
dumping ..... was $30.
Sorry but I don't have any good new .... perhaps someone else.

-Walt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:19:03 GMT

I have tried "shutdown -r now" as well and it doesn't work either.

I can see from my description why you thought I was confused about the
Pentium IIs.  We have "CPU Cards" I think is the term.  Basically the
cpus, RAM, i/o, etc. are on a card that plugs into a backplane.  It is
a modified CS500 rack-mount machine.

Thanks,
Will
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In article <7iqi38$bub$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Anderson) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
> >However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the
same
> >failure ...
> >
> Firstly, you really shouldn't use reboot to reboot the system,
secondly - are
> you using shutdown -r now?
>
> >The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS,
Adaptec
> >SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.
> >
> I see from the above statement that you are new to pentium IIs...
TTYL!

From: slye5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Subject: Re: removing cooling fans--how dangerous?
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:06:15 -0800

very very dangerous

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy)
Subject: Re: ABit BH6: 4 PCI cards
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:16:33 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 18:49:06 -0500, "kryliss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

The palet snoop realy only affects mpeg.
I'd say you have a conflict between the network cards.
I have 5 pci cards, plus an AGP 3DFX Voodoo3, and have no problems
under Win98 or Linux.

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 99 17:00:34 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eject a cdrom

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Peter Bismuti;

 PB> My cd is stuck in my cdrom drive, how can I eject it?  I do not
 PB> have the 'eject' command on my computer, should I have it?

If the cd is 'mount'ed, then the eject is disabled.  If thats the case,
do an 'umount' on the mountpoint, which should free the disk.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Subject: Scanner & SANE with 2.2 Kernels - anyone managed it?
Date: 30 May 1999 21:24:06 GMT

I had my Agfa Snapscan 310 SCSI scanner working under SANE, but since I
upgraded to the 2.2 kernels it has not worked. When I invoke either
xscanimage or Gimp's scanner interface I can select the scanner, but
when I go to scan, the scanner LED blinks constantly and does nothing.

Can anyone confirm the problem, or are the rest of you blindly carrying
on using your scanners with not a problem in sight?

Many thanks.

--
Phillip Deackes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Daviel)
Subject: IRQ 61, TLB IPI problem
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:36:14 GMT

I've got a dual Celeron system, ASUS 100MHz m/b. running RedHat 6.0 Linux
Dual 366MHz 370-pin PGA o/c to bus 85, CPU 450.

After running hard for 10 hours or so (mprime + setiathome)
I get :
Unexpected IRQ vector 61 on CPU #1
Stuck on TBL IPI wait (CPU #0)

This with kernel 2.2.5, and also 2.3.2 SMP

First time with 2.3.2, the system locked.
With 2.2.5, it hung in there for a couple of minutes with
lots of these errors, ethernet couldn't interrupt etc. then hung.
Hung to black screen (was in console mode, running softdog)
3finger salute no good, reset button no good (maybe didn't hold it
>4 seconds), front panel power off no good. Pulled the power for
1 minute - that worked, eventually.

Ideas ??

--
Andrew Daviel