From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE cd burner and 2.2.x kernel
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:35:56 -0400

Can someone please enlighten me on the new settings for generic scsi
under the 2.2.x series kernel?
I undrestand that the hdx=ide-scsi command no longer works for the 2.2.x

kernel.
Please let me know how to get this dam burner working

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: HP5100C under Linux
Date: 01 Jun 1999 22:31:43 -0700

"graeme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Howdy,
>
>     Does anyone know of any driver support
> for driver a HP5100C Scanner under Linux.
> This is one of those scanners that use the
> parallel port to talk to the computer.

Linux has no parallel port scanner support.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dang H. Nguyen)
Subject: Re: eMachines as linux boxes
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 14:16:03 GMT

On 2 Jun 1999 13:27:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Eddie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anyone think the eMachine 333cs (Cyrix MII-333 , 32 MB Ram , Soundcard Crystal
>> CS 4235, ATI Rage IIc agp, 2 GIG HDD (yeah.. the only real limitation but I
>> can live with a 2 gig linux anyway) ) is a decent linux box that would be my
>> secondary machine? (I want to run it alongside my windows desktop which is the
>> powerhorse machine for me)
>
>> My question is more on the side of:
>> -is the cyrix MII 333 known to be CRAPPY or is it a decent CPU?
>> -Is the video card 'decent' enough for 1024 or 800*600 resolutions? (although
>> I dont plan on running a monitor on it - remote administration! =]
>> -could I get 'better' for cheaper somewhere else?
>
>Well, I recently bought such a beast for an NT box and _quickly_ returned
>it right back to BestBuy.  Simply leaving the machine on overnight would
>lead to BSOD via kernel mode exception.  Yes, NT is flaky, but the feeling I
>got was a) the Cyrix is just too far off of standard and b) you get what
>you pay for -- the thing was cheap and not only in price.
>
>My $.02.

Cyrix complies with the x86 standards. If instability occurs chances
are it's other components besides the Cyrix CPU. RAM or cheap
motherboard would be the first suspects. I've had an old Cyrix 6x86
150+ that ran as a server for a year without problems.

------------------------------

From: "Gunther Huygens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STB Velocity 4400 not supported by redhat 6.0 ? dual monitor , dual cpu
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:15:44 +0200

Can somebody confirm this: STB Velocity 4400 not supported by redhat 6.0

Do you know good 2d / 3d card that is supported and that is equipped with tv
out
, simultanious tv out en monitor if possible?

I want to buy (will order this week, after long waiting period for mb)
Epox kp6-b6 and dual celeron
My pc dealer doesn't seem to know where to get msi 6905 1.1 in Belgium
does anybody have experience with epox 370 - > slot 1 convertort cards?

What about dual monitor options for linux and redhat in particular?

thanks in advance
please also email to me as well as in newsgroup

greetings from flanders
gunther

------------------------------

From: Paul Rowland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative/Ensoniq PCI 1371 sound card on SuSe 6.1
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 08:05:31 -0400

Anyone had luck getting the Ensoniq PCI 1371 sound card to work under
SuSe 6.1?

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 5.1 version.h file!
Date: Wed,  2 Jun 1999 10:58:59 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 2-Jun-99 RH 5.1 version.h
file! by Mike [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I don't have a version.h file on my Red Hat 5.1, kernel version
> 2.0.34-0.6 computer. I also don't have the /linux directory under the
> /usr/include directory.

But you do have the kernel sources, right?  Both /usr/include/asm and
/usr/include/linux should be symlinks to their respective subdirs in
/usr/src/linux/include.  Link 'em.

> Red Hat doesn't recognize the "make" command, so I can't do a make
> config in order to generate the version.h file.

Translation:  either you didn't install make, or it's in an utterly strange
place (unlikely), or your path is hosed (ditto).

Install make, it comes w/ RH.  Check the other dev tools as well, since if
you don't have make you're quite possibly lacking others.

--+-- Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ---+- <lw2j@[andrew|cs].cmu.edu> -+--
  |  No electrons were harmed in the making of this message.      |
--+-- CMU SCS, '98 ----------------+------------------------------+--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: new cheap Linux box advice wanted
Date: 2 Jun 1999 11:09:17 -0500

On Wed, 02 Jun 1999 06:06:48 GMT, Alan Jones wrote:
>BTW, I just got Maple V r 3 installed on my 8M 386 under Win 3.1.
>What are you doing to get it use more than 128M?

I only have 64MB at home and 128MB at work; I am pretty sure there
is no problem to use up more than that..

>>>I am convinced that UDMA will provide adaquate HD performance at low
>>>cost.  Howver, I know that I also want SCSI to run my Zip drive and
>>>other SCSI devices.  I know that I can get a PCI SCSI controller for
>>>as little as $40, but I would like the SCSI controller built into the
>>>MB to free up a PCI slot.  10 Mhz SCSI-II performance would be fine.
>>>I'm not going to pay an additional $100 or so for a built in SCSI
>>>controller.
>>
>>Make sure UDMA/66 is supported. In my case, Quantum CR UDMA/66 drive was
>>not UDMA/33 compatible, and I needed to run some EXE thing to change
>>/66 to /33.
>
>My understanding is that at this time  UDMA/66 is currently supported
>only with  the Promise-66 addapter which  would cost an additional $50
>or so and add little real performance for my intended uses.  If built
>into the MB it might not cost $10 more.  A UDMA/66 drive might only
>cost an additional $10 and be well worth it to hold its future value.
>It also migh have a larger cashe, or other modest enhancement over a
>comparable UDMA/33 HD.  I was considering the Quantum CR.  Do you have
>to manualy run that EXE thing everytime to start or is done once to
>change firmware, or done automaticaly during boot?

You only need to run this EXE thing once (follow the link from
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#hdd ); I do
not think you are actually changing a firmware, it looks more
like a software-adjustable jumper..

Best, a.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

------------------------------

From: De Messemaeker Johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:50:02 +0200

Cyrix chips are descent ... i'm running a linux-box on a Cyrix 166 for about 2 years
now and it never let me down (or has Linux has something to do with this ? :-PP) ...

No, serieus, Cyrix is nice. Floating point is slower though ...

------------------------------

From: Thomas Ruge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tnt2 and SaX
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:59:34 +0200

==============04A18220AE8D5B625C49F7D4

may be this is not the big new, but anyway, this is a message for all
people thinking about buying a tnt2 graphic card.
i got the tnt2 running with a true color 1280x1024 resolution on a SuSE
6.1 distribution. I use the AGP-V3800 Deluxe with a TNT2 Ultra. First i
had some trouble using the X11-configuration tool SaX, because SaX did
not recognize the chip correctly, so SaX did not allow me to use other
resolutions then 640x480. Then i choosed the ASUS AGP 3400 TNT as
graphic card, which still allows me only to get the 640x480 resolution.
With a little handwork in /etc/XF86Config i got it:
i had to replace the modes "640x480" by the resolution (1280x1024) i
wanted to use, and this works because the modelines for higher
resolutions are correctly written by SaX.
May be this is not the big thing, but i hope it helps other people using
tnt2 graphic cards

    Bye

        Thomas

Thomas Ruge, Siemens Virtual Reality Center
private email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============04A18220AE8D5B625C49F7D4

Hi,
people thinking about buying a tnt2 graphic card.
SuSE 6.1 distribution. I use the AGP-V3800 Deluxe with a TNT2 Ultra. First
i had some trouble using the X11-configuration tool SaX, because SaX did
not recognize the chip correctly, so SaX did not allow me to use other
resolutions then 640x480. Then i choosed the ASUS AGP 3400 TNT as graphic
card, which still allows me only to get the 640x480 resolution. With a
little handwork in /etc/XF86Config i got it:
i wanted to use, and this works because the modelines for higher resolutions
are correctly written by SaX.
using tnt2 graphic cards
<pre>--&nbsp;
Thomas Ruge, Siemens Virtual Reality Center
private email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptop APM
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:52:55 -0500

It might help if you stated which laptop you have, just to see if
anyone has a working system.

Also, you may wish to be a bit
more specific about which APM options you selected (list all of
them) and what the error message was.

mas

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Raul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Xfree86 and KDE
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:57:19 +0800

Dear Sir/Madam,
Greetings, I am a rookie user to Linux. I had recently installed RH5.2 in my
computer.
I know that there are some configurations had to be set in order to make the
hardwares support the Xwindow and the name of it is Xfree86. But my problem
is I don't know what to do to make it work with my computer and how to set
them up.
ALso, I have another problem is that I don't know how install the KDE in
Linux, can anyone give me an advice pls?
Looking forwward to replys! Thx for help.

------------------------------

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cyberpower UPS
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:55:13 -0500

Does anyone have a CyberPower UPS working
with Linux as a "smartUPS?"  I figure, since it
has a DB-9, that it'll work in "dumb mode."
However, I'd like to know if anyone has one
of the UPS utilities working with it - it's supposed
to report battery conditions, line conditions, etc....

tnx,
mas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kit Cosper)
Subject: FS: Misc components
Date: 2 Jun 1999 16:10:45 GMT

Due to the merger of Linux Hardware Solutions with VA Research into
VA Linux Systems we have a supply of surplus hardware available
at or near cost.  See http://www.linux-hw.com/sell.html for a list
of available components.

Kit Cosper          Linux Hardware Solutions, Inc.       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                           VA Linux Systems
                    1-888-LINUX-HW  1-888-LINUX-4U

------------------------------

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to build a sub-$500 Linux machine?
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:51:37 GMT

Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrew Comech wrote:
>>

>> You better not try to save another $20 buying non-parity memory; thats's
>> a stupid thing to do.
>>

> I don't think many people would agree with you. ECC memory is a little slower
> and usually a lot more expensive. I've never had a single problem with non-ECC
> memory in a variety of systems, including dual P-IIIs with 512 MB RAM.
> --

Parity and ECC are different things.  However, you're inadvertantly
probably right about it not making much difference.  Most OS's simply
crash when a parity error is detected.  What does Linux do when a
parity error is detected?  One would assume the proper thing would
be to kill the offending process and log the error.  If it's in
kernel space, dumping core and rebooting...

Christopher Mauritz

Subject: Re: AL440LX mobo sound w/Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:21:48 GMT

According to David Manchester  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hiya - anyone know the default IRQ/IO ports that the OPL3-SA2 on the Intel
> AL440LX motherboard uses, so I can compile support into my kernel..?

Intel has the complete technical specifications for all their
motherboard products available as PDFs from their web site.  The PDF I
downloaded for my DK440LX was well over 100 pages in length.

I don't remember the exact URL, so just go to developer.intel.com and
start searching.

-p.

------------------------------

From: Jonas Aaberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with SCSI Acard and linux 2.2.x(Maybe generic SCSI bug)
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 08:18:12 +0200

I have a Acard AEC6710S scsi-3 PCI and on that a cd burner. It all
works in windows 95 and with the complied linux kernel v2.0.0 that
you can download at acard's site. Pretty soon after I got that
scsi card and the burner version 2.2.0 of the kernel was released.
And the acard scsi support was included, so I never tested to attach
the c sources of the acard drivers found on acards site to version
2.0.x , because I hoped that it would work fine with the new kernel.
(I have neard that other people have got it to work with 2.0.37pre
something.)
But it doesn't. On boottime it shows always an error message(see below)
and then linux locks up there. (No matter if you wait for hours.)
When the acard support is included in the kernel.

I have attached the error message the 2.2.7 kernel gives and what
the precomplied kernel from acard's site says. (It says the same with
linux 2.2.9)

I have read that the generic scsi support was changed between 2.0.x and
2.2.x, so it might be there the error is. Because the driver source to
the acard, has still the same version in 2.2.x as in 2.0.x

On boot time Linux 2.2.7 says this: (Version 2.2.0-to maybe 2.2.4 didn't

found the scsi card at all.)

aec671x_detect:
 ACARD AEC-671X PCI Ultra/W SCSI-3 Host Adapter: 0 IO:fcc0, IRQ:3.
  ID: 6 MATSHITACD-R CW-7502 4.10
  ID: 7 Host Adapter
scsi0 : ACARD AEC-6710/6712 PCI Ultra/W SCSI-3 Adapter Driver V1.0
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6,
lun 0 Request Sense 00 00 00 10 00
 workingu=1 last_cmd=6  quhdu=2 quendu=2  r 0= 6 r 1=2c r 2=cf r 3= 3 r
4= 0
r 5= 0 r 6= 0 r 7=10 r 8= 0 r 9= 0 r a= 0 r b= 0 r c= 0 r d= 0 r e= 0 r
f= 0
r10=36 r11=20 r12= 0 r13= 0 r14= 4 r15= 6 r16=80 r1c=a1 r1f=37 in_snd= 0

r20= 9 r22= 1
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6
lun 0 Request Sense 00 00 00 10 00
 workingu=1 last_cmd=6  quhdu=2 quendu=2  r 0= 6 r 1=2c r 2=cf r 3= 3 r
4= 0
r 5= 0 r 6= 0 r 7=10 r 8= 0 r 9= 0 r a= 0 r b= 0 r c= 0 r d= 0 r e= 0 r
f= 0
r10=36 r11=20 r12= 0 r13= 0 r14= 4 r15= 6 r16=80 r1c= 0 r1f=35 in_snd= 0

r20= 9 r22= 1
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 6) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 6) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

(I wrote this off, so it can be a miss type, even if I have checked
twice.)

And then linux stops.

This says the precompiled kernel v2.0.0, which works:
(or dmesg says)
aec671x_detect:
   ACARD AEC-671X PCI Ultra/W SCSI-3 Host Adapter: 0    IO:fcc0, IRQ:3.
         ID:  6  MATSHITACD-R   CW-7502  4.10
         ID:  7  Host Adapter
scsi0 : ACARD AEC-6710/6712 PCI Ultra/W SCSI-3 Adapter Driver V1.0
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-R   CW-7502    Rev: 4.10
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.

The CD works, with no errors at all with that kernel.

kernel 2.0.0's /proc/scsi/scsi says:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-R   CW-7502   Rev: 4.10
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

kernel 2.0.0's /proc/scsi/atp870u/0 says:
ACARD AEC-671X Driver Version: 1.0

Adapter Configuration:
               Base IO: 0xfcc0
                   IRQ: 3

kernel 2.0.0's /proc/cpuinfo says:
processor : 0
cpu  : 686
model  : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
stepping : 4
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug  : no
fpu  : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid  : yes
wp  : yes
flags  : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 11 mtrr pge mca cmov mmx
bogomips : 299.00

And the scripts/ver_linux says:

Kernel modules         2.1.85
Gnu C                  2.7.2.3
Binutils               2.9.1.0.15
Linux C Library        2.0.7
Dynamic linker         ldd (GNU libc) 2.0.7
Linux C++ Library      2.8.0
Procps                 1.2.9
Mount                  2.8a
Net-tools              1.46
Kbd                    0.96
Sh-utils               1.16
Modules Loaded

That computer has no com2 therefore IRQ 3 is used for that card

I would be happy for any help

Regards,
     Jonas Aaberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>