Linux-Hardware Digest #456, Volume #10           Thu, 10 Jun 99 06:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Intel Etherexpress 10/PRO ISA PNP (Henrik Carlqvist)
  IBM 9LP HD cache enabling (John Hagen)
  Alps Glidepoint under X (Snarf)
  Re: Q: Adaptec RaidPort III usability ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: TDA98XX BTTV Driver for RH 6.0 ("John Connell")
  Re: Epson Photo 750 printing slowly... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Free Sex Links!!  3012 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350 ("Matt Goheen")
  Re: Kernel says 'heck' on boot-up (Brett Neely)
  Re: Question installing SCSI drivers for initio ("Matt Goheen")
  Re: Digital Modems & Linux? (CMK)
  Re: SiS 6326 (Brett Neely)
  Re: CPUs: Pentium vs. AMD, etc. (Dan LaPine)
  Re: about DSL_ISP (Brett Neely)
  Re: need linux backup device/software recommendation ("Tony Platt")
  Re: Digital Modems & Linux? (CMK)
  Re: [Q] SCSI-emulating EIDE controller exists? (Abdullah Ramazanoglu)
  DAT drive/SCSI card combo ("Ferdinand V. Mendoza")
  Seagate Refurbished 4/8gig 4mm DAT Drives $250.00 ("Dan Vesledahl")
  Re: strange CD-ROM problem (solved!) (Karlheinz Nolte)
  Test (dill)

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:27:24 +0200

Hien Nguyen wrote:
> I have two Linux pc's linked by 10/100BT ethernet and I am looking
> for a program that can connect the serial ports of the two pc's
> together. In other words, data input to one serial port would appear
> at the output of the serial port of the Linux pc at the other end and
> vice versa.

I haven't tried it myself, but maybe this would be possible to do with
rcp?

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel Etherexpress 10/PRO ISA PNP
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 20:34:29 +0200

Mark Watson wrote:
> Anyway I disabled the PNP (in kernel) and used ISAPNP. This works
> with no errors. Then using modprobe I insert the
> module. With just the io address as before it detects irq 10 (and
> doesn't work). Even if this worked, irq 10 is used by the soundcard
> (which I don't know how to set the irq of - sblive).

I think that sblive is a PCI card. If a PCI card is trying to steal an
IRQ from an ISA card you should be able to stop this in the CMOS
settings. There you should be able to reserve some IRQs for ISA only.
The settings is mostly called something like PNP/ISA/PCI/IRQ-settings.

regards Henrik

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:54:44 +0000
From: John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: IBM 9LP HD cache enabling

Good evening, all.

I would like to be able to check and adjust the status of the read and
write caches on my IBM 9LP UW SCSI hard drive. I've noticed that it
sometimes "forgets" that the write cache is enabled in Windoze and I
have to re-enable it using SCSI-Vision.

Is there a program/utility available in Linux that would allow me to do
the same thing? Since I've realized that my hard drive is "forgetful"
I've been wondering what its configuration is under Linux.

FWIW, I'm running SuSE 6.0...

john hagen ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=============================

------------------------------

From: Snarf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alps Glidepoint under X
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:46:16 GMT

Okay, Sony F-190 laptop w/ Alps Glidepoint touchpad, slap on RedHat 6.0
and it works!  Neat.  However, the "tap to emulate mouse click" feature
is active.  Too active, I HATE it, it drives me nuts when in X!

I was able to disable this feature under Win 98 (which of course is
only present for games) but I cannot find a way to disable (or tweak)
it under Linux.

If anyone can help me out here, you'll be saving me from a trip to
the crazy house!

Thanks,
Snarf

--
Snarf the Thunderkitten (alias Andy Grimm)              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I will unleash a firestorm of humility   Jump off   "If you refuse, you die,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Q: Adaptec RaidPort III usability
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:31:03 GMT

In article <7jjmj3$6v7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gray) wrote:
> Currently, I'm running kernel-supported RAID and would like to move to
> hardaware.  I'd like to purchase the Adaptec ARO 1130-CA2 RAIDPort III
device
> which fits into the specialized slot in my SuperMicro S2DG2 mainboard.
>
> Adaptec supports this card under NT and SCO Unix but washes their
> hands at linux support.
>
> If there is success using this device under Linux, I'd appreciate the
> feedback.
>
> --

I trying to get Linux running on a Kayak which uses a ARO (FastRaid)
card from HP. I have had no luck. I would also be interested in any
suggestions and/or experiences.

From: "John Connell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TDA98XX BTTV Driver for RH 6.0
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:34:39 -0400

I don't know the answer but sure would like to. Am in the same boat, Chris.
I'll post any info as I find out, do the same, OK?
John Connell

news:7j2c6v$mi1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Epson Photo 750 printing slowly...
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:29:50 GMT

thanks,

I found a solution to the printing speed problem in tunelp. I lowered
some timing values with it and now the printouts come as quickly as in
windows. Alas, I still cannot print jpegs or tiffs with all the
resolutions (e.g. 1440x720) and colours (six) under Linux.

Jussi-Pekka

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Robert M. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Resolution has a lot to do with printing speed. What type of picture
at
> what resolution. My sylus 600 prints a 720 x 720 full size (covers the
> page) in about 10 minutes or less. It also has to do with the
complexity
> of the image and the type of driver you are using. -noweave is faster
at
> the cost of lines in the printout. 1440 x 720 takes almost an hour for
> the same image. I think I could PAINT the image in that time. Try
lower
> resolution or a diferent driver.
> I used to use the stcolor driver. With the uniprint driver I get
better
> images more slowly.
>
> Good luck
>
> Bob
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I bought an Epson Photo 750 six colour printer and have been trying
> > get it running under Linux. Text is fine, I can 'cat file.txt >
> > /dev/lp1' and 'lpr file.txt' and it goes ok. With GhostScript I
haven't
> > been so lucky. I got a beta gs driver from Egil Kvaleberg but the
> > printer just seems to work hard for quite a while, draws many sheets
of
> > paper but prints nothing.
> >
> > For a small test I switched to Windows, started PhotoShop (or
something)
> > and printed a picture in a file. In a DOS box I typed 'copy pic.out
> > lpt1:' and the printer produced the picture in couple of minutes.
Then I

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Free Sex Links!!  3012
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:22:32 GMT

For Nasty Sex links visit:

http://website.lineone.net/~simonsi/sexlinks.htm
xobydwolwscyiqumxhtlxbkzwihcowfbdgfynqlfdcrznrkkxgdndztbpvotdncrxikhftorqunpkddi

------------------------------

From: "Matt Goheen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: good motherboard for K6-2 450 and 350
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:46:25 -0400

William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> There's a pretty good list available on AMD's site.  I pulled the
> list and decided on an FIC 2013.  It works great!  Just make sure
> you get the right kind of memory (bus speed compat).

This is a very good point that isn't covered very well by the docs.  If you run a
K6-2/350 (100MHz
bus), you need PC100 SDRAM.  The board supports other memory types, but you'll run into
trouble if your CPU expects more than your memory is willing to give (the MB doesn't
do any
fancy arbitration and/or wait states to make it work).  This is also true of the
VA-503+, also
a good board (similar to the 2013, but AT style).

One funny thing is that the 503+ doesn't support Intel P-133 CPUs, but the 2013 does
(both
support P-166MMX -- it's a voltage thing).  Hey, but who cares, right?

Anyway, I've used both and had no problems.

    - Matt Goheen

------------------------------

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel says 'heck' on boot-up
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:25:26 -0700

Hi,

Another form of investigation you should do is to read about the kernel
patches since 2.2.5 (http://www.kernelnotes.org) and see if such a thing
is mentioned.  You can use the "patch browser" links to actually read
through the source code diffs.

Most developers ask (and often demand) that you test this "feature" with
the latest released version before reporting anything.  If it really is
a bug (probably in the scsi driver code), the preferred submission
method is almost always a source code patch.  :)

--
Brett Neely, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x269 tel, 415.701.7457 fax

------------------------------

From: "Matt Goheen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Question installing SCSI drivers for initio
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:54:13 -0400

I don't believe RedHat 6.0 works "out of the box".  It certainly didn't for me.  Driver
support in included in the source tree -- but it's not part of the installation disks,
thus you can't install to a Initio SCSI only system (perhaps the installed kernel
DOES have support, but you can't get there from here, so to speak).

At any rate, once you figure everything out, it DOES work.  Initio now has RH 6.0
install disk images on their web site (as well as 5.1 and 5.2).  My controllers
are actually IWill 2935UW cards.  I got Oracle installed and running on them,
no problems (yet)...

Oh, it should work as a module, as long as you don't need to boot from a device
connected to it!

    - Matt Goheen

------------------------------

From: CMK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digital Modems & Linux?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 02:13:45 -0700

what the hell is a "digital" modem, last time I checked modem stood for
modulator/demodulator, aka analog/digital signal output/input!

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS 6326
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:39:58 -0700

Hi,

I would advise that you read the information on this web page:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/SiS.html

It contains notes from the developers on the hardware support for
SiS-based cards.  For example, in the introduction:  "Support for 6326
is currently enabled, but tested only on few cards."

Under the link titled "4. Modelines", there are also recommendations for
configuration information you can add to your XF86Config file for the
SiS 6326 card.

Hope this helps.

From: Dan LaPine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPUs: Pentium vs. AMD, etc.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:02:38 -0500

Peter Czoschke wrote:

> I'm working on outfitting a new system and am trying to choose a
> mobo/cpu for it and I was wondering what suggestions people might
> have...  Does anyone have much experience with PII chips vs. AMD-2 chips
> (or other brands)?  Does one work better or worse with Linux
> (RH5.2/6.0)?  I have a whole pile of nice old cases (towers, mid-towers,
> etc.) but they all have AT power supplies.  I understand that the PII's
> usually come on ATX mobo's.  Has anyone dealt with these issues?
> Advice?

If you already have AT cases, consider using K6-2's and the EPOX 58MVPC-M
for a nice solution. They'll inexpensive, expandible, and provide a
credible alternative to Wintel. Check www.paragoncomp.com for current
prices. I just replaced my wife's computer last night with a K6-2 400 an
one of these Mobo's. Life should be this easy...

Dan LaPine
lapine @ uiuc . edu

------------------------------

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: about DSL_ISP
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:42:01 -0700

Hi,

DSL service is highly geograpic-dependent.  It would be best to consult
your local phone book, call area telephone companies, check their web
sites, and also search community-based web sites.  As far as hardware
devices, find out what each service will provide you with, or require,
and consult a Linux hardware compatibility list ahead of time to assist
your evaluation.

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: need linux backup device/software recommendation
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:23:54 +1000

Look at Arkeia

www.arkeia.com

Pretty neat

Tony

------------------------------

From: CMK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 02:15:08 -0700

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] SCSI-emulating EIDE controller exists?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:51:24 +0300

Skaya wrote:

> Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > Think of a PCI or off-case disk controller card that that emulates some
> > popular SCSI controller, and drives 7 or 15 EIDE disks (possibly UDMA)
> > with only one IRQ line, DMA, and I/O range. I think that such a card,
> > coupled with RAID-5 support in Linux, and some additional RAM (fairly
> > cheap nowadays) to cover performance issues of EIDE and RAID-5, would be
> > very cost effective in building reliable, fast and large arrays.
> > Is there such a thing? Or am I asking (or dreaming) too much?
> > Thanks for putting up :)
> > --
>
> that would cost you a lot of money, for sure.
>
> if you really *damn fast* I/O, go for UW disks and use raid (striping).
> they leave IDE disks far behind.

Well, I am after a good cost/benefit balance. UDMA EIDE disks have 1/3
price of an average SCSI disk.
If you compare 7200rpm (and up) disk with EIDE, or average SCSI disks
with PIO mode IDE disks, there may be a huge performance difference. But
I don't "believe" that there would be much performance difference
between an average SCSI disk and an UDMA EIDE disk.

> real life example : while copying 200 megs from IDE to IDE, our server
> feels quite slow. you don't even notice while copying from SCSI to SCSI,
> and it also runs quicker.

Driving them in PIO mode directly by CPU would eat up CPU cycles. But If
the controller emulates a SCSI  card, then so far as Linux and CPU
concerned, it is a SCSI card, and disks are SCSI disks. So it would eat
up no more CPU than a real SCSI controller with real SCSI drives. Of
course, the "translation" between SCSI and IDE protocol is the
controller's job.

> IDE may be cheap, but for the purist who wants raw power, get SCSI.
>
> also, problem of raid 5 is that it's very cpu greedy. without a
> specialized controller, don't think about exceeding 10 to 20 mbytes/sec.
> correct me if I'm wrong about this last point.

I agree. It is the main drawback for this theory of mine. And finding a
"SCSI-emulating EIDE controller with hardware RAID5 and battery backed
cache" is not making sense. (Such a controller being a "server class"
thing, it conflicts with the compromises made by using IDE. Also it's
price would lessen the savings made by using IDE.) On the other hand, I
would prefer using a dedicated "RAID5 server" than to use a hardware
RAID card and SCSI disks. It would be much cheaper for me. I can build a
Celeron-400 machine with 128MB ram for as low as $500 which is probably
cheaper than the SCSI controller alone.

There are many niches for this approach. I, for one, plan to start up a
home brew web hosting facility for free (or minimal fee to cover
expenses). I just want to be "in" and get some experience, barely
covering my expenses. So I need huge disk area with "acceptable"
performance. In a standard PC I can install as much as 8 EIDE disks
(putting CD and backup drive and everything to another machine).
Assuming 15GB disks I can expand no more than 120GB. Also, 8 disks would
eat up 4 irq lines. For me, such a controller would be invaluable.

Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DAT drive/SCSI card combo
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:40:14 +0400

I want to buy a DAT drive / SCSI controller for my
PC. Preferrably a drive that  can handle DDS1 tapes
and a SCSI card that could perfectly match the drive.
I have check some models from Seagate but which
SCSI card I don't know. I also want an internal DAT
drive model.
Any recommendations?

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: "Dan Vesledahl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seagate Refurbished 4/8gig 4mm DAT Drives $250.00
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:38:44 +0200

Minkota Technologies has four of the following units.  These drives are
refurbished in factory sealed antistatic bags.  They come with a 30 day
warranty.  The price is 250.00 total prepaid shipped to your door, or 255.00
total COD (We ship to US addresses only)

Peregrine 4mm DAT (DDS-2) 5.25-inch x half height internal (OEM) Tape Drive.
Capacity: native 4.0 gigabytes using 120-Meter Tapes, up to 8.0 gigabytes
using hardware compression. SCSI-2 Interface, Single-ended, async/sync
transmission. Performance: 400 Kbytes/sec native, 800 Kbytes/sec with
compression Transfer Rate, 1 Mbytes Buffer. Flashable Firmware EEPROM
These tape drives have all brackets needed to fit inside a Standard CD size
drive (5 1/4 half height bay)  They are factory sealed in their antistatic
bag.

The full specs are at the following address:
http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/scsiide/peregrine/ctd8000r.shtml

We can accept the following payments:
Personal/Company Check (7-10 day hold on shipment)
Postal Money Order/Certified Cashiers Check (No Hold)
We will also send via UPS COD Money Order or Cashiers Check only
Carrier options UPS or USPS
--
Dan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karlheinz Nolte)
Subject: Re: strange CD-ROM problem (solved!)
Date: 9 Jun 1999 19:51:31 GMT

On 8 Jun 1999 21:21:46 GMT, Karlheinz Nolte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But now I have problems installing additional packages from CDROM. I get
>almost the following error messages:
>

>---8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<--
>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51
>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
>hdc: ATAPI reset complete
>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 334070
>---8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<--

Hi again,

found the reason for this behaviour. It was very simple: The surface of the
CD was dirty!

CU

Karlheinz.
--
This place just isn't big enough for all of us.  We've got to find a way
off this planet.

From: kerithian @airmail.net (dill)
Subject: Test
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:25:52 GMT