Linux-Hardware Digest #465, Volume #10           Fri, 11 Jun 99 10:14:17 EDT

Contents:
  tv signal through web (Peter Bismuti)
  Which UPS (Merryweather Management Systems Ltd.)
  Sony DVD-ROM DDU220E (Shu-Ju Tu)
  Re: My dream computer (Mike Frisch)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 600 Config Problems (John Thompson)
  Re: modem problems ("Wil Harper")
  Re: Digital Modems & Linux? (Art Berggreen)
  Installing Lexmark5700 in S.u.S.E 6.1,thorough help please! (fahlis)
  Re: "Kernel size too large" ("Clifton T. Sharp Jr.")
  Re: HP 720C doesn't print ("Jürgen Pfann")
  Fujitsu 230meg MO drive works fine! ("Jim Ford")
  Re: Digital Modems & Linux? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Epson Stylus Color 600 Config Problems (Mike Frisch)
  Re: Compaq easy-access-keyboard-buttons? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Intellimouse problem ("Neville Woo")
  Re: Intel 440 BX chipset and IDE DMA problems - please help ("Neville Woo")
  Re: Token Ring Card , Laptop ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Scanners and SANE ("Jim Ford")
  Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's (killbill)
  Sound Blaster PCI512 (Kevin C. Weissman)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: tv signal through web
Date: 10 Jun 1999 17:36:45 GMT

Is it possible to get television with a connection only to the internet
and not through coaxial cable?  Would I need a TV tuner card?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Merryweather Management Systems Ltd.)
Subject: Which UPS
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:30:00 GMT

Does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive UPS
that can be connected to a Linux box? The UPS is not really intended
to support the box for any appreciable length of time - possibly 5-10
minutes, but I do require it to connect to the serial port and perform
a shutdown should a power-outage occur.

That brings me to the second point, which is the software itself. Do
any of the current UPS manufacturers actually supply monitoring
software for Linux or is it something I will need to find from other
sources such as Smart UPS Tools?

Hopefully someone out there has already been through this mill and can
point to their own successful implementation of a UPS.

Hardware Packard Bell P350
O/S : Slackware v3.5 : Kernel 2.0.34

Peter Whelerton

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shu-Ju Tu)
Subject: Sony DVD-ROM DDU220E
Date: 10 Jun 1999 12:34:43 -0500

Hi

(1) registration code: 0G4HFN

(2) I just installed SUSE 6.1 on my SONY machine. When I installed first
it on my machine, linux can tell my hard drive (Maxtor) and CD_ROM drive
(Sony DVD-ROM drive DDU220E) correctly.  But every time I reboot the
machine, there is a message saying:

hdc: ********(some strange characters) ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 17) drive

So that I can't mount my cd-rom drive. I guess that Linux won't recognize
my sony cd-rom drive but not sure this is the reason.  What should I do
about this, so that Linux can read and mount my cd-rom drive.

My computer system:

Sony PCV-E205

SONY DVD-ROM DDU220E

Please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: My dream computer
Date: 10 Jun 1999 17:37:00 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:50:59 -0400, Dave Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>don't get a PIII!!! wait for the AMD K7 to come out :) they should appear
>sometime this summer....

If the rumours circulating are true, the K7 may not be all it's cracked up
to be.  It'll obviously require a new motherboard and perhaps new, faster
memory (due to the FSB speed).

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 600 Config Problems
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:57:10 -0600

Dave Howland wrote:

> I have an Epson Stylus Color 600 printer. I've got ghostscript 5.50
> installed and i've figured out how to print .ps files to the epson using
> the gs command with upp drivers at the command prompt. I'd like to be able
> to print with it in Star Office or Corel WordPerfect. Anybody know how to
> set this up?

I have StarOffice printing with my Stylus Color 600 by
selecting the "generic postscript printer" option in Star
Office and letting ghostscript convert to ps output to
something the SC600 can understand.  It sounds like you
alreay have that part figured out, so just try it as a
generic postscipt printer.  It might work that way in Word
Perfect also, although I haven't tried it.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Wil Harper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem problems
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:16:01 -0500

it's no a winmodem

------------------------------

From: Art Berggreen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digital Modems & Linux?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:05:07 -0700

CMK wrote:

> what the hell is a "digital" modem, last time I checked modem stood for
> modulator/demodulator, aka analog/digital signal output/input!

When you make an ordinary phone call on your POTS phone, the analog
signal is nearly always digitized at the switch end of your POTS line
(to PCM), transported through the phone system in digital form, and the
analog signal recreated on the destination POTS line.  Most ISPs now
receive their phone traffic on digital telephony facilities (T1 carrier
or faster).  Since they are already receiving data in digital form, they
don't really need to convert the signal back to analog and feed it to a
traditional modem.  ISPs now use "digital modems" which convert to/from
PCM digitized data using DSPs.  This reduction in the number of A/D and
D/A conversions, reduces the total noise introduction and is what allows
56K speeds in the downstream direction.

Art

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fahlis)
Subject: Installing Lexmark5700 in S.u.S.E 6.1,thorough help please!
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:28:21 +0200

Hi,
I´ve downloaded the appropriate driver for my printer (5700),
now if I only knew how to install it properly,I´ve tried to follow
install info,but I just can´t get it right.It screems something about
rhs-printtool or something,seems this driver is for redhat,so how,if
possible do I install it to S.u.S.E?The file I´ve downloaded is
"lexmark7000linux-990516.tar.gz".Please give me a thorough install
instruction.I´m a newbie.

/Tony

------------------------------

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: "Kernel size too large"
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 01:27:23 -0500

Chris Lee wrote:
> Instead of using 'make zImage' when you're at that last step, try using
> 'make bzImage'. Bzipped files are MUCH smaller than their zipped
> counterparts.

The weirdest thing happened to me a few minutes ago. I removed one line of
code from one of the modules (bug fix), recompiled, and got "Kernel size
too large". This didn't make any sense, as the kernel size was *smaller*
than the one I already had on diskette. (`make bzdisk`)

Cut to the chase: it was dirt on the floppy heads. The system couldn't
read the first sector, refused to do anything else, and the meaningless
error message came up. Got the dirt off the heads and the same floppy
worked just fine.

So apparently anything that causes an I/O error will trigger that message
as well.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Cliff Sharp   |  "Speech isn't free when it comes postage-due."           |

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Pfann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,at.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie
Subject: Re: HP 720C doesn't print
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:07:59 +0200

root wrote:

> Dear reader,
>
> I've a HP 720C colour deskjet and I have SuSE 6.1 runing on my computer.
> During instalation of the OS I had to choose a printer. Because HP 720C
> isn't on the list, I've tried other printers (like cdjet550) on /dev/lp0
> but neither will print.
>
> The solution may be quite simple (I hope so) but being a newbie, things
> are not that easy to me
>
> Tank you in advance !!
>
> --
> ***************ROOT@hotzenplotz***********************
>
> Ulrich Gruen
> Amsterdamse straatweg 609bis-a/2
> 3553 EJ  Utrecht
> 030-2420019
> ICQ: 35629246

Hi Ulrich,

Looks like you're stuck, because you unfortunately bought the wrong
hardware for linux :-( ; the 720 is a "Windows-only" "GDI"-printer
that leaves the processing of print jobs to your PC and accepts
only Win-compatible input.
But to my knowledge, the linux community have written drivers
to overcome that.
As you already installed a printer, you should have all resp.
packages lying around in your linux file system, namely
'apsfilter', a set of scripts to do print file converting,
'ghostscript', the postscript interpreter to eventually produce
printable output. First starting points of the documentation
to get more info should be the 'Printing HOWTO', in SUSE
/usr/doc/HOWTOS/en/PRINTING-HOWTO, and the files in the directories
/usr/doc/packages/apsfilter resp. ghostscript; print them out for
better reading !(I was joking, of course...)
Another way of getting help is the command 'man', say 'man gs',
or 'gs -h', as it prints out (on the screen) a list of available device
drivers for your resp. ghostcript version. As almost always :
Read The Fine Manuals...

Hope that helps you getting started

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fujitsu 230meg MO drive works fine!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:32:57 +0100

Just a message to those who might be considering a scsi Fujitsu MO drive.

I bought one at a 'car boot sale' for 2 quid (that's about 5 dollars for
those of you across the pond!). It worked 'out of the box'.
More good news is that the 230meg disks are almost half the price of puny
100meg Zip disks.

Regards: Jim Ford

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jun 1999 13:19:37 -0400

CMK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> what the hell is a "digital" modem, last time I checked modem stood for
> modulator/demodulator, aka analog/digital signal output/input!

of course a modem will send and receive analog over the channel.
input and output from the user may be either analog (e.g., your fm
radio) or digital (e.g., a mil-std-188-165 compatible).  a digital
modem tends to hit the digital domain sooner rather than later and
perform the bulk of the signal processing digitally rather than in
analog circuitry.

rf downconversion will probably always be analog.  around here at
work, a digital modem is one which does the signal processing
digitally.  i.e., phase derotation, timing synchronization and the
matched filter is digitally processed.  this is as opposed to analog
matched filtering.

pots limits you to about 3000 baud on the line.  to get more than
2400 bps you need a high order signal constellation, i.e., qam.  i
think any of the qam based modems have to be digital in order to be
pratical.

> Bob Batson wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me about a 56K external digital modem that works with
> > Linux?

look for the rs-232c interface.  *all* externals with rs-232c work
with linux.  plus you get blinkenlights!

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Date: 11 Jun 1999 11:34:50 GMT

On 11 Jun 1999 02:20:35 GMT, Pierre Asselin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have RedHat 5.2 + 2.2.7 + gs5.50 in /usr/local, /etc/printcap set to
>use the uniprint drivers.  No, the colors aren't right but they aren't
>wrong enough for me to bother, either.  I print more technical diagrams
>than photographs so color accuracy isn't paramount to me.

They're not totally incorrect, I agree, but when I print in Windows, they
look fine.  The behaviour with Ghostscript should be at least identical.

>How to fix?  edit the `up*Transfer' arrays in the .upp files.  When I
>tried this, I got good results with linear transfer functions: two
>entries per color, {0 <max>} where <max> has to be tuned individually
>for each ink.  Start with max= 1.0, reduce all inks until the paper no
>longer gets soaked, then start adjusting for color balance.

I think I'll leave that to somebody else as I really don't want to waste
an ink cartridge.

Thanks for the reply,

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq easy-access-keyboard-buttons?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:01:46 +0200

Pankaj Pant wrote:
> Neither xev nor showkey respond to these buttons. Anything else that
> we could try?

Then it seems as if they are no standard solution and will need some
kind of special program or driver. If you are unable to get any specs
from Compaq the only way to find out how they work would probably be to
disassemble the DOS or windows-utilities which use them.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Neville Woo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intellimouse problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:40:43 +0200

Which mouse did you choose during setup ? Try the generic ps/2 mouse if all
else fails.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Neville Woo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 440 BX chipset and IDE DMA problems - please help
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:43:30 +0200

I know from experience that i always buy the same make of IDE hard drives
and avoid the probs you have. You should also have an option in BIOS which
alllows the system to poll or wait for the h/disks to initialize. Try to
turn this on.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Token Ring Card , Laptop
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:00:00 GMT

Check out http://www.linuxtr.net

You need kernel 2.2.9 / pcmcia 3.0.10 to run token ring with the 2.2.x
kernels.

Mike

From: "Jim Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanners and SANE
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:22:26 +0100

Daniel Naughton wrote in message

>The saga continues with this scanner.

Try subscribing to the SANE mailing list (can't remember the address - but
you should have it in the docs). The SANE developers do a brilliant service
in answering queries promply.

Regards: Jim Ford

------------------------------

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: connecting serial ports of two Linux pc's
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:57:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hien Nguyen wrote:
> > I have two Linux pc's linked by 10/100BT ethernet and I am looking
> > for a program that can connect the serial ports of the two pc's
> > together. In other words, data input to one serial port would appear
> > at the output of the serial port of the Linux pc at the other end
and
> > vice versa.
>
> I haven't tried it myself, but maybe this would be possible to do with
> rcp?

or even more easily maybe something along the lines of
cat /dev/cua0 | rsh someothermachine 'cat > /dev/cua0'

You may need some stty or similiar commands, but you may not.  I don't
have a linux box here at work to try it on, so I don't know for sure how
it would work.  Worth a try anyway.

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin C. Weissman)
Subject: Sound Blaster PCI512
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:46:41 GMT

Can anyone tell me if the Sound Blaster PCI512 works with current Linux
kernels? IF so how well? Does wave and MIDI work? Thank you.
--
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)            |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.