Linux-Hardware Digest #502, Volume #10           Wed, 16 Jun 99 08:13:37 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  S3 TRIO 3D Video card and Red Hat 6.0. Help! ("Carlos Lacasa")
  Re: Zoom 14.4ex modem (Andrew Comech)
  Re: Zip 250: file system? ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Re: Setting up the modem (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Alps Glidepoint under X (Walt Shekrota)
  Re: Serial console - Sys msg, but no login! ("dpc")
  Re: Boot from Network Y/N (Eric Wick)
  Re: Boot from Network Y/N (Phil Griffiths)
  Best sound card for use w/ Linux? (Gravot)
  Is Linux capable of clustering ??? ("Tom Frank")
  XFree86 settings for Nokia flat screen ??? (Mart)
  Re: D-Link 220 ISA PNP NIC ("Niclas Andersson")
  linux problems with 2 processors ("john")
  Re: Is Linux capable of clustering ??? (August =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6randl?=)
  Music CD ("Len Maziarski")
  Re: PCMCIA SCSI & Ethernet sharing IRQ????? (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: modems (Andrew Comech)
  Re: linux problems with 2 processors (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: Is Linux capable of clustering ??? (Swietanowski Artur)
  Re: Performance Opinions? Xeon PII vs 2 x PIII (Swietanowski Artur)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: 16 Jun 1999 07:06:51 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:49:03 GMT, Gravot wrote:
>prefaced with a "win"?  I am especially curious about sound cards.  Is
>there any one card that is more suitable than the rest? If so, what is
>the reasoning?  Any favorites?

Creative labs ISA cards are a snap to set up on linux. And you get to put a
useless ISA slot to use (-;

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Carlos Lacasa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 TRIO 3D Video card and Red Hat 6.0. Help!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:35:51 +0200

Hi all,

I've installed Red Hat 6.0 but I'm not able to configure my S3 TRIO 3D video
card (except the VGA mode). Does anyone how to do it?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: Zoom 14.4ex modem
Date: 16 Jun 1999 01:53:57 -0500

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:56:30 -0400,
Andrew Sackville-West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, having discovered that my lovely v.90 PCI bus modem is, in fact, not a
>modem, I scavenged and old Zoom Telephonics 14.4 EX modem from work. Now I
>find that is has the RPI+ configuration from Rockwell, and that this too,
>may not work with Linux. I have poked around and not found any definitive
>information on how to test and/or use this modem in Linux. Any help is
>appreciated.

Hi,
if this is RPI+... this MIGHT be possible to disable RPI; look
up the manual. See also http://www.zoltrix.com/RPI_FAQ.HTM
-- they say which chipsets can work in RPI/non-RPI mode.
I recall that this is mainly relevant to newer (less old..) 28K
modems, though.

There is also a modem-howto,
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html
and I recall there are a few lines about some ways to use RPI modems
(losing error correction).

Best,
a.

PS. To mention, hardware-based 56K modems already dropped below $40...
See the link below.

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip 250: file system?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 02:52:04 GMT

Burra wrote:

> I have gotten my Zip 250 parallel port to work but can't mount a zip disk.
> I put it on auto but it says that I have to specify the filesystem type. I
> do that but can't find one that works. What si the file syaytem of a pc
> formated zip disk? Do I have a bigger underlying problem??
> fstab:
> /dev/zip                /mnt/zip                auto    rw,noauto,user  0 0

Change your fstab entry to read
/dev/sda4       /mnt/zip        vfat    defaults,noauto,user 0 0

This is, of course, assuming the 250 works the same as the 100. I've
never used the "auto" parameter, but all my zip disks are formatted as
vfat since I use them on both my Linux box and my Windows 98 boxes.

Don

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Setting up the modem
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:46:15 GMT

[non-existant groups col and col.questions deleted from Newsgroups: line]
[Note: If your newsserver still carries col.questions, please tell your
admins to delete it and setup pgpverify for their newssystems]

"Crash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have same problem i can not setup mi PCI roskvel 56 modem in Linux !!
>Eny one have a tip or ptogram whic can hrlp me !

[...]

Throw it away. This is a 100% winmodem, and there's no way to use it
outside a Win* environment due to the poor design and the lack of
manufacturer-provided drivers. Get yourself a reliable external
modem instead (no USB modem).

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Walt Shekrota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alps Glidepoint under X
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 03:47:29 GMT

There is a 'nice' part to this oversensitivity though. You can roll your
fingertip on the surface to micro adjust end distances. ie selecting a specific
entry from a pulldown etc.
-Walt

------------------------------

From: "dpc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial console - Sys msg, but no login!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:26:42 -0400

Just a note: The output stops apparently after the serial driver is enabled
as the last line I get on the term window in NT is:
Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled

However, that's the end of dmesg as well, so I fear that's got nothing to do
with it either. :| hehe

:D

news:cwF93.964$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Subject: Re: Boot from Network Y/N
Date: 16 Jun 1999 07:45:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Could some kind soul please advise me on how to disable this message?

Should work with the Setup-Disc from the NIC. Without a boot-eprom this
function will never work, if there is one, try to remove it.

Bye
Eric

------------------------------

From: Phil Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:30:44 +0100

Eric Wick wrote:

> Should work with the Setup-Disc from the NIC. Without a
> boot-eprom this function will never work, if there is one,
> try to remove it.

Thanks for the reply, however I should have mentioned this in the
original post, I do not have a Setup-Disc for the card. It is an NE2000
clone.

Looking at the card gives no obvious clue as to who the manufacturer is.

I can post the Card's serial no. or IC part no.s if this will help.

Once again, any help given is appreciated.

--
Phil

------------------------------

From: Gravot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:49:03 GMT

I loaded Linux on a spare system last friday night and I am smitten!
I'm looking ahead to my next system and was wondering what kind of
hardware considerations I need to make - aside from avoiding anything
prefaced with a "win"?  I am especially curious about sound cards.  Is
there any one card that is more suitable than the rest? If so, what is
the reasoning?  Any favorites?
TIA
Gravot

From: "Tom Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Is Linux capable of clustering ???
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:53:51 +0200

Hi out there

I'm a newbee on linux, so I hope to get some help from you.

As Linux is growing on support on multi-processor, I would like to know if
it is possible to make a Cluster configuration as an fail-over with Linux as
with other Unix-variants and NT.

In a real workable Cluster-configuration (in my opinon) are following
nessessary:

Heartbeat network
Shareable disc-arrays among server-cluster
Resource-handling on disc

Cluster-package (application) fail-over facilities to move a application
from one cluster-server to an other.

Virtual TCP/IP configuration. (an TCP/IP address on each application)

We ourselves are running on this solution today on both HP and NT platforms.
We are therefore out analysing how fare Linux has come in that field.

Best Regards
Tom Frank

From: Mart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86 settings for Nokia flat screen ???
Date: 16 Jun 1999 10:30:46 GMT

Hi,

as the subject implies - can anyone help me out ? A sample from XF86Config
would be just great ...

My environment is : Nokia 500Xa (flat screen), SiS6326 AGP video card,
RH linux 5.2, Xfree86 version 3.3.3.1 and still confused ...

Thanks in advance ;-)

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Niclas Andersson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link 220 ISA PNP NIC
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:23:36 +0200

Hello.

Yepp, I got it to work under RH5.2, RH6.0 and now have it running under
Mandrake 6.0 also. No problems at all during the install when I choosed
NE2000. It found it without complaining.

Niclas

news:MJI53.7360$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "john" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux problems with 2 processors
Date: 16 Jun 1999 16:56:41 +0800

I need help in configuring Linux kernel 2.2.6 for dual processor
support. I have a Tyan dual pentium 166 system. I installed
Suse Linux 6.1 with kernel 2.2.6 . Everything works fine. After
the installation, I attemp to configure the kernel for 2 processor
support.

I type 'make menuconfig' and choose the multi processor option.
After saving the configuration and was asked if I wanted to use
the new configuration. I answered yes.

After all that I type 'make dep'. And I get the following error
message,

/usr/include/sys/mman.h:32: linux/mman.h No such File or Directory.
make:***[scripts/mkdep]Error 1

Can anybody advise me on whats wrong ? What need to be done to
get Linux to use the second processor ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

John

------------------------------

From: August =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6randl?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: Is Linux capable of clustering ???
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:40:28 GMT

Tom Frank wrote:

> Hi out there
>
> I'm a newbee on linux, so I hope to get some help from you.
>
> As Linux is growing on support on multi-processor, I would like to know if
> it is possible to make a Cluster configuration as an fail-over with Linux as
> with other Unix-variants and NT.

try my links at
http://elina.htlw1.ac.at/linux/Applikationen_&_spezielle_Dokumentation/Netzwerk/Cluster

Gustl

--
August Hoerandl                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Len Maziarski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Music CD
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:42:16 -0400

I've been trying to mount an Audio CD.  I have it mounted for data
retrevival using:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

But when I try to listen to a music CD, I get an error message.  What am I
missing?

Len

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA SCSI & Ethernet sharing IRQ?????
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:52:50 +0200

A bit off topic, but still, ...

I have a notebook (Acer Extensa 720) which has a built in USB and
a sound card. They share IRQ 5. There are no BIOS settings that
would allow me to change the interrupts, or disable either of those
devices.

I have no need for the USB (in the foreseeable future, anyways), but
somehow it gets to occupy IRQ 5 before the sound card driver loads.
The driver says 'resource busy' and dies (gracefully).

So the question is: how can I separate those IRQ's (they are not
PCMCIA related). Or maybe at least change the order in which the
IRQ's are assigned, so that it is USB which gets no banana.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Comech)
Subject: Re: modems
Date: 16 Jun 1999 01:57:34 -0500

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:59:10 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does Linux support either of these modems?  It it supports both, which
>is better?
>
>Acer America fm56-itu/2 56k isa v90 voice dual standard
>ActionTec deskvo0ce 56k isa v90

The first one is definitely OK (I am using it now).
I believe it is avaliable at http://www.compuplus.com/
for $30.. see the link at the bottom.

For the second one, look up
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Best,
a.

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux problems with 2 processors
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:19:12 +0200

john wrote:
> I type 'make menuconfig' and choose the multi processor option.
> After saving the configuration and was asked if I wanted to use
> the new configuration. I answered yes.
>
> After all that I type 'make dep'. And I get the following error
> message,
>
> /usr/include/sys/mman.h:32: linux/mman.h No such File or Directory.
> make:***[scripts/mkdep]Error 1
>
> Can anybody advise me on whats wrong ?

Assuming you've got the complete kernel sources, you should start by
doing
  make mrproper
then
  make xconfig / menuconfig / config
then the rest.

> What need to be done to get Linux to use the second processor ?

Not much. Just enable SMP and disable APM (which is not SMP safe
and will be disabled by the kernel anyways).

HTH,

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.sources.kernel
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:34:09 +0200

Tom Frank wrote:
> (..) I would like to know if
> it is possible to make a Cluster configuration as an fail-over
> with Linux as with other Unix-variants and NT.
>
> In a real workable Cluster-configuration (in my opinon) are following
> nessessary:

Well, your opinion on the workable cluster config. is not the same
as mine. I am in the middle of setting up a cluster, which will serve
as computation server.

> Heartbeat network

And what is it? In Boewulf class systems you can use any of a large
selection of network components, from parallel port connection (2 PC's
only, of course), through standard network cards, to specialized
high bandwith, low latency cards. Also, you may attach as many network
devices (or all the above sorts) to a single computer and mix them any
way you want.

> Shareable disc-arrays among server-cluster

NFS? If you want more than NFS, there are some other file sharing
solutions and distributed file systems for Linux which I have no
experience with.

Also, you may connect more than one computer to the same SCSI bus,
with, e.g., an external (shared) RAID device. As always, the SCSI ID's
must be unique on the whole bus (which will thus also be shared).

> Resource-handling on disc

Again, what do you mean by this?

> Cluster-package (application) fail-over facilities to move a application
> from one cluster-server to an other.

I believe IBM has been showing an example of this on a cluster of PC's
running off-the-shelf RedHat 5.2.

> Virtual TCP/IP configuration.

This and more (although I have little experience with this).

Looking forward to reading other replies,

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Performance Opinions? Xeon PII vs 2 x PIII
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:15:18 +0200

Alex Russell wrote:
>         A little research reveals that cost of a dual pentium III
> system is roughly that of a single pentium III Xeon system. For
> administrative reasons, these are the only possibilities. Which should
> I prefer?
>
>         My usage profile: I usually run a number of single-threaded
> applications over X; in general, only one of them expresses heavy load
> at a time, though, of course there is occasional overlap. Of course X
> is always running the background, along with all the other fat in RH6.
>
>         A quick glance through some available benchmarks suggests that
> the Xeon offers roughly 10% improvement in the above scenario.

Depending on your graphics card and X server, chances are that during
the peak graphics activity, the X will eat up to 30% of your single
processor's power. A single processor will easily loose here.

If you have an IDE disk, some simple but intensive disk activity
may easily do a similar thing. My P120 occasionally gets pretty
much saturated by just SMB request for downloading an ISO image of
a CD, which is simply a 600MB contiguous file -- no seeking needed.
It behaves similarly during a large file copy from one filesystem
to another. So again, a single CPU probably looses again.

A SCSI disk subsystem is much better in this respect - even servicing
four disks, one CD and one MO at full sustainable speeds of the
combination of the devices never gets my P120 to even 10% load.

Two processors = a more responsive system. The 10% improvement will
only be realized (if ever) only when a single application stretches
a single CPU to the limit. This pretty much requires a low I/O, high
computation intensity application, e.g., number crunching. So a
single Xeon will give you the 10% improvement only during the 1% of
the time you spend in front of your computer. Better responsivness
will be visible 100% of the time.

Depending on your usage profile (I/O, network, memory, etc.) even
with a single 400 PII or better your best chances of boosting
performance are not a faster processor, but:
(a) better disk subsystem: IDE < SCSI < Raid,
(b) more memory,
(c) more/faster NIC's and/or better hub,
(d) faster graphics card,
(e) a commercial X server with better acceleration, etc.

HTH,