From: "Chad Dale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron 300A and ABit BH6
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:10:31 GMT

I have the same MB/CPU combo (running ~374 right now because it;s 35C with
no air conditioning in the house :(

My only complaint is that I cannot get PS/2 mice to work properly off the
PS/2 port on this board.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Young)
Subject: shortcomings of Creative Labs CD-ROM?
Date: 19 Jun 1999 07:08:27 GMT

I have one of those CD-ROMs that shipped a long time ago with the Sound
Blaster Pro in a "multimedia package." It works with the sbpcd driver.

When I manually eject a CD from it, it doesn't seem to notify CD player
programs. Also, if I click the 'eject' button on one of my CD player
programs (because this usually has the side-effect of scanning the tracks
of the CD), the CD player program hangs hard so that I cannot kill it
with any signal I send it. I guess it's stuck in select() or something?
Anyway, once it hangs, I cannot start another CD player program until
it's gone, and I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Does anyone know what's causing this? Is it a bug in the sbpcd driver
or could it be that my CD-ROM is defective?

Something that might be important is ... what's the role of that thin
4-wire cable from the CD-ROM to my Sound Blaster Pro? I've closed my
computer's case on that thing a zillion times by now so it might be a
little mangled.  Might the sbpcd driver hang waiting for a signal from
the CD-ROM drive that comes on that cable? Maybe the signal never arrives,
if I've ruined it....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

--
``I always thought that anybody who told me I couldn't live in the
past was trying to get me to forget something that if I remembered

------------------------------

From: "Chad Dale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dual celeron... for me?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:30:07 GMT

I have been seeing all the talk about dual celeron systems, and saw that
abit has a dual-370 board on the market now, and I was wondering if anyone
out there has first hand experience with a dual celery system?

I am interested in doing this myself becuase I as a user I am not so much
concerned with the max fp score my system can obtain so much as how fast the
system actually responds to actions (ie, opening Emacs, switching desktops).
Also, I run a proxy server setup through my system, and I know that in that
situation, a dual processor system would perform better than a super single
processor.

------------------------------

From: "Jack Coates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $mall, cheap firewall router
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:59:11 -0700

of course, if you want it really really small... http://www.calibri.net/

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Repair
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:52:03 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I made the mistake of not properly unmounting my ext2 partition.  Now my
> ext2 reports the free space incorrectly.  Does anyone now of a repair
> tool that I can use?  Any help would be appreciated

Do you mean something besides "fsck?"  Works for me,
anyway...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Can serial ports share an IRQ?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:18:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Young) writes:

>I've forgotten the way that this works.... Is the problem with using
>two serial ports on the same IRQ concurrently that the ports conflict
>at the hardware level (the IRQ signals "collide" or something) or that
>the software does not usually check one port and then the other to see
>which *actually* generated the interrupt, and so it gets confused?

Depends. The IBM /AT&T specifications for serial ports originally
did suggest having the IRQ lines XOR'ed . Unfortunately, most
HW manufacturers completely ignored this and therefor two serial
devices will not work one a shared IRQ line on most PC motherboards.
Newer boards have now started to implement this , so if you're lucky
and use a recent kernel (2.2.*), then you might want to try it. There
is a separate kernel option for allowing shared IRQs, but please be aware
that it depends from the HW used whether it will work.

>The reason I ask is that standard serial devices that share an IRQ *do*
>seem to conflict in Linux. Smart as Linux usually is, I figure it's
>just an inevitable property of the hardware,

[...]

It is. This happened with nearly all 386/486/P boards, therefor the
standard solution for people with a need for more than 2 serial devices
was getting either a separate controller card or using an intelligent
multiport card (AST, Cyclades etc.) for this task.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: COMPUTERCRAFT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: IBM PS/2 maximum serial port speed?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:16:09 GMT

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> I'm thinking of using an IBM PS/2 with Linux 2.0.35 as a dial in server
> for a modem. Basically all it should is accept the call and run pppd for a
> single modem, using IP forwarding and ethernet proxy arp. I have the
> following machines available:
>
> PS/2 model 55 SX (I think 386SX16), 4 MB RAM
> PS/2 model 70 and model 80 (I believe 386DX20), 6 MB RAM
>
> what is the maximum serial port speed for each model, and what could they
> handle from their overall performace?
> --
> Georg Schwarz ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], PGP 2.6ui)
> Institut für Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
> Technische Universität Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Though it was far from an ambitious project like this, around five years ago I
used a 55SX in serial communications.  That model had a modern UART.  The serial
port was not the bottleneck in system performance - the hard drive size/speed
was.

--

COMPUTERCRAFT
PC Tech Secrets Revealed!

------------------------------

From: Chris Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HELP ! verrry slloooww reading DAT tape
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:29:17 GMT

Hi,

I have received a number of DDS-2 tapes that I have to read. They are
written on an AIX system. The format is 1024 bytes per block.

I have used the "mt" command and set "defblk" to be 1024. Now when I
"tar -xvf /dev/st0", the tapes read at about 5Mb/hr :(. Life is too
short for this.

I am sure that I have missed something fundamental. When the tape reads
it says blocks = 2. I have tried the -b command to read more blocks at a
time but it makes no difference.

Can anyone send me some suggestions as to what I can do to speed this up
a little.

My system: Dual Intel Pentium 133 / 64Mb / 2 x 4Gb Quantum on an AHA2940
/ Sony SDT-5000.

Kind Regards

Chris Wilson

[So long as the voices in my head tell me
 to "just act normal", everything seems to be OK]

------------------------------

From: Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: SV: Adaptec 2940UW and IBM 9ES headache
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:12:35 +0200

brian kreps wrote:
[snip]

> IBM 9ES (LVD model) does not have onboard termination - according to
> IBM's specs you'll need active termination.
>
> http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/ddrs/ddrsjum.htm

Yes, I know. Therefor I put it before a terminated drive (an IBM 2ES
DCAS-34330W). If that drive hasn't active termination I can understand
my problems but it has, I think. At least it is terminated.

   "Better to ask questions and seem stupid
    than not to ask questions and remain stupid" -Unknown
           Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Kupolen Data

------------------------------

From: Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:08:43 +0200

AN wrote:
[snip]

> Have yuo tried to force the drive to SE by jumpering it?
> =

> Asbj=F8rn

Yes, it's jumpered, all right, but it doesn't work.

///Johan

-- =

-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=
=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard C. Ferryman)
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:01:00 GMT
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Deryk Barker) wrote:

>Anyone recommend a card with decent sounding *input* facilities too?

The problem as I see it is that the good sound cards (I use event Gina
and Darla which are superp for audio recording and multi-track play
back) but few of the quality cards list any *nix drivers.
Richard

------------------------------

From: Johan Groth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW and IBM 9ES headache
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:15:18 +0200

SCSI Cable Guy wrote:

> You you have the "auto-spin" jumper enabled?

Yes (meaning I haven't touch whatever the default was), because I can
low-level format the drive and verify its surface through the 2940's
BIOS.

///Johan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dang H. Nguyen)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:04:33 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 06:13:13 +0000, John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm trying to find a cheap machine to use for a firewall router in a DSL
>installation in my cramped apartment.
>
>I don't need the latest CPU or a big hard drive - just enough machine to
>do the job. A 486 or 586 w/ 16 MB of RAM and a 500 MB hard drive would
>work great. However, I need the case size to be as small as possible.
>
>I had in mind something along the size of those "thin clients" you see
>advertised in the IT magazines.
>
>I initially considered the Corel Netwinder, but $1000 for the cheapest
>model seems a bit high. A bare-bones PC would more than do the job, but
>then I have to find room for another full-size case in my rapidly
>shrinking space. If you want to get an idea of what I'm talking about,
>take a look at:
>
>http://www.rebel.com/products/servertech/serv-net.htm
>
>Anybody know where I can find a cheap, small(ish) muffin-machine to do
>the job?

Well, if you're really adventurous, get your hand on a DEC Alpha
Multia. These were the earliest Alpha so you'll be getting a 64bit
machine. The cases are about 2.5" high and the size of a medium pizza
box. Everything is built in including ethernet, vga, serial, parallel,
scsi, two pcmcia slots.
Plus you get to try other Linux port besides plain old i386. Lilo will
never look the same after your try the ARC console and Milo in the
Alpha.
BTW,  a 166Mhz Multia has speed comparable to a Pentium 100, although
it excels at FPU.
You should be able to pick one up for about $100.
Dang.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:26:26 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip drives...

there is the zip howto on your system if u happen to have installed
documentation package, it helped me with myparallel version. I forget if
it has info for IDEs or not.

i forget the exact directory but u should be able to do a search on it
using 'zip' or something

Brandon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:28:40 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.players
Subject: Re: Creative CDRW reported as DVD too

even if u could read the disc there is no point in it since there aren't
any dvd movie programs available in order to watch the movie.  TH eonly
thing u could do is to moutn the dvd and thats it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:31:01 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem blues

first i'd say upgrade your computer
second, i'd say ther eis a possibility the modem is going bad/is bad.

your friend may not have had any problems with it but since u are now it
might have just gone bad

Brandon

------------------------------

From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with 2940u2w and redhat 5.2
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:59:06 -0500

"Michael D. Amoroso" wrote:

> I have had the same problem with the 2940 and 2930.
> It's not Linux.  It's something with connecting external devices to the
> card.  I've tried every imaginable combo of active/passive terminations and
> devices and it all boils down to this issue, you get intermittent failures
> of the SCSI bus when accessing the external device.  I had the same issue
> with these cards in a WIN98 box.  I tried Adapted tech support and they
> suggested a bent pin was the problem (not!).  I'd love to hear about any
> other people's solution to this.
> Mike.
>
> dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > i have several internal 50 pin scsi devices attached,
> > uw scsi devices (internal) and 1 external scsi device
> > i have each scsi chain terminated
> > i have an intermittant problem with the 50 pin scsi
> > devices - one is an hp dat tape dirve and the other
> > is an iomega 2G jaz drive
> > when writing data i get an input/output error
> >
> > i have a second machine with the same controller
> > and redhat 5.2, and it also shows the same problem
> >
> > it seems to be worse when writing large amounts
> > of data
> >
> > is there a known problem with the 2940u2w and redhat 5.2 ?
> >
> > thanks for any help,
> > dan

in the 2940uw installation manual they say you can only have 2 of the
3 (2 internal, 1 external) connections attached to devices
i tried attaching all three on several machines one worked (at least for the
limited
time that i tried it) and the rest didn't

however the card i now have is a 2940u2w
the manual doesn't state any such limitations
this card has 3 internal and 1 external connection
i am using 2 internal (uw scsi 68 pin, and scsi 50 pin not using the u2w)
and the external uw (or u2w)

i have heard that adaptec has a firmware revision for the 2940uw
to allow all three connections to be used, but i haven't checked it out

dan