Linux-Hardware Digest #580, Volume #10           Thu, 24 Jun 99 18:14:08 EDT

Contents:
  Frequent HD errors (Stephen John Austin)
  Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ??? ("Nafai")
  Re: Compaq presario (Christophe Lambin)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
  Re: Logitech FirstMouse+ Unable to Scroll ("Andrew J. Norman")
  Re: OPTi 82C930 Problems (Glen)
  Re: video-card question (Glen)
  Sony TSL-SA300C SCSI Tape Autoloader (Bress)
  Re: What's the best graphics card for X (Marc Mutz)
  Re: memory and hard drive question (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Recommendation needed for Tape Backup drive (Marc Mutz)
  Re: MUST I have network card to connect to ISP? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: SCSI controller: RT10-AT (Marc Mutz)
  Re: LAN connectivity problem (Greg Yantz)
  Re: Spinning down scsi disks : mailing list (Marc Mutz)
  Re: USB CDR (Marc Mutz)
  Re: PAS16: how?? (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Re: LAN connectivity problem ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Re: Need advice on modem (Glen)
  Re: Linux Raid problem ("Tony Platt")
  Re: HELP! Compaq Netflex 3/P network card (jeff)
  Re: Help with modem! ("Sreenivasa Sista")
  Re: Compatible Modems for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux? (Dan LaPine)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen John Austin)
Subject: Frequent HD errors
Date: 24 Jun 1999 19:18:35 GMT

Recently I've been getting a lot of errors with one of my drives, a 2 Gig
Quantum Fireball ST2.1A. I had the same problem with an identical drive
once before, and that one eventually died after only 3 months of use. This
one has been in use for about 1 year. Both drives contain ext2 filesystems
under 2.0.30.

The logged messages are all of this type:

hdc: write_intr: error=0x02 { TrackZeroNotFound }
hdc: write_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

At first they only occurred during the updatedb cron job, but now they are
more frequent. Is this just a HD on it's way out, or is this a correctable
problem? If it's about to fail, any idea why 2 identical drives have
failed after such a short time in use?

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Nafai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ???
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:43:43 -0500

I loaded the ES1371 module and nothing happened, so i ran sndconfig and it
picked up the card as that model (which I know it is) and when trying to
play the sample file, it gives a bunch of strange errors (it says "sox:
known effects: avg band chorus etc. etc.") followed by "sox: effect
'/dev/dsp/ is not known!"

Still no sound.

Nafai

Marcus Lauer wrote in message <
>        You may be able to find modules for both the ES1370 and ES1371
chipsets
>in your modules directory (in RedHat: /lib/modules/2.2.5/misc).
Basiclally,
>you need to load these modules using the command "insmod <modulename>"
>(include the full path to the module in the modulename).  Stick this
command in
>your rc.local file (in /etc/rc.d) and you're set.  You might also recompile
your
>kernel with support for these cards, if you're into that soft of thing.
That's

------------------------------

From: Christophe Lambin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq presario
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:22:42 +0200

Steve,

> Can anyone tell me if linux works on a Compaq Presario Computer.

Well, I have it installed on my 4810. Nearly everything works, except
for  sound. For some reason the ESS1887 AudioDrive in my Compaq doesn't
quite behave like a standard one.

Other than than, I haven't had any problems.

Regards,
Christophe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:15:21 -0700

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:59:05 -0400, Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:47:03 -0400, Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>> >Absolutely not.  Linux runs Quake, Doom, and a host of other games.   If
>> >you'd bothered to read the post before you flamed it, you would have seen
>> >the word "databases", clear as day.  Linux has SQL.  By contrast, Windows
>> >users are used to a host of database front-ends (Paradox, Access,
>> >FileMaker Pro)  and would be reluctant to give them up to make a complete
>>
>>         Then say database FRONTEND.
>>

>Actually, the term is database management system, I suppose.

        No, the term would be database FRONTEND. A dbms is what Oracle
        and friends are, thus the confusion and the throwing of the
        sharp objects.

[deletia]
--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech FirstMouse+ Unable to Scroll
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:23:57 GMT

Right, the M-S48 should be one of the two OEM version.  Apparently there is are two
part numbers though:

M-S48
M-S48-OEM  (tends to be international)

Only the M-S48-OEM is reported to contain the Zilog chip.  The M-S48 is apparently
a Logitech chip but with a different logic board (my guess is it similar to the
Zilog's pin out, etc)

I actually tried getting info from Zilog's site (there databooks are public) but
didn't have much luck finding anything of use.

Do you know if they (Logitech) has gone over to using exclusively Zilog chips in
their OEM versions?  And if so does anyone have a method for "waking" these chips
up?  (I was thinking that an initialization under a Win95/98 followed by a warm
boot into linux might preserve the mouse's config and allow access to the buttons.
The other trick I was going to try was using a PS/2 to serial adapter and possibly
modify the voltage levels so X can detect it)  What are your thoughts on this?
Have you tried anything similar with your's?

As for protocol---yes the MouseManPlusPS/2 protocol does work with the three main
buttons, but as you have probably noticed, creates problems when switching control
back and forth between X and the virtual terminals (where as the standard PS/2
doesn't, but also doesn't allow use of buttons > 3)

Thanks for your input.

--
        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

From: Glen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OPTi 82C930 Problems
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:11:30 -0400

I have had problems with this card as well. Guess what? After a re-install,
even the windows driver's don't work. Oh well, I guess I'll just get a new
SoundBlaster now. They always work.

------------------------------

From: Glen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video-card question
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:04:12 -0400

There IS a such thing as a Winprinter. I can't remember the links I found
on this subject, but I *can* tell you to avoid Lexmark at all costs. When
in doubt, go with a postscript printer.

------------------------------

From: Bress <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony TSL-SA300C SCSI Tape Autoloader
Date: 24 Jun 1999 20:25:02 GMT

I have a Sony TSL-SA300C SCSI Tape Autoloader running off of an AMI
megaraid controller.  It crashes at random whenever it has to do
anything.  Here's the error messages I get.

st0: Error 25040000 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x25, host bt 0x4).
st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
sense key Aborted Command
Additional sense indicates Overlapped commands attempted
st0: Error on write filemark.
st0: Error 25040000 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x25, host bt 0x4).

and then in a final explosion of bliss it prints

Blocked mailbox on exit!

over and over again.  I'm pretty sure the mailbox error is coming from
the controller card.  Anyone out there have any idea of have you seen
anything like this before?  Thanks in advance.

        JB

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:34:00 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the best graphics card for X

Swietanowski Artur wrote:

[snip]
> Another common recommendation (maybe better,
> but also more expensive) is Matrox Millenium 8 MB (supported by SVGA
> server).

Wrong. It has it's own server and works out of the box on two machines.
It used to be XFCom_Matrox from SuSE, but I think it is now integrated
into XFree 3.3.3.x

Matrox Millenium is also (together with Riva TNT), the fastest 2D-card
there is, which is more significant for Linux than it is for Win.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:52:50 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memory and hard drive question

Scott Knight wrote:

> Anyway, my question is, will i be able to use the hard drive under linux
> relatively easy, with partitions bigger than 528MB? even though th bios
> is old? I would think that it should be no problem, i mean i have to
> partiton a couple ones for linux anyway,(swap root, usr) Am i safe?

Make sure that the partition you boot linux from (usually /) lies
entirely within the first 500MB. Linux drivers will be able to access
data beyond the first 528M, but LILO needs the BIOS to load the kernel
image.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:43:19 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.inux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Recommendation needed for Tape Backup drive

Ken Williams wrote:

> I'm co-locating too (Stampede not RH though), and I'm using another HD. You
> can get say a 10 gig IDE hd for say $300, and have a cron job tar everything
> to it every night or so.  Faster then tape, and a lot cheaper.  If you got a 4
> Gig external HP Surestor DAT drive, it would cost about $1200, then you need
> tapes.
Although it has been said over and over again, it has still to be told:
A COPY ONTO ANOTHER HD IS *NO* BACKUP. It is mirroring with time delay,
and it is trashing the good files before getting to know they are.

Use your second HD for RAID experiments and invest in a good tape device
with cheap media, so you can make incremental backups which date back
some time (i.e. at least one week, further is not too far).

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:04:32 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MUST I have network card to connect to ISP?

William Horton wrote:
> MUST I have network card to connect to ISP?
No. You need a modem.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:11:27 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: SCSI controller: RT10-AT

Stefan Piperov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an old ISA bus SCSI Controller produced by Rancho Technology (USA)
> Model RT10-AT. No docs or drivers. Want to use it in a small PC
> running Linux.  Any help appreciated. Documentation - most valuable!
>
> (The card has a WD33C93 chip, so I guess some of the WesternDigital
> SCSI drivers might work :-)

Set the jumpers that configure IRQ/DMA to something that fit in your
system. It should be documented on the PCB. If not, try to figure out if
the vendor has a web site, and try there.
Then compile the drivers that look promising as modules and try to
insert them in the kernel. You can't do anything wrong with that: If the
driver does not find it's hardware, it will exit.

Marc

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: LAN connectivity problem
Date: 24 Jun 1999 17:05:21 -0400

Richrj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I can ping my eth0 card but can't ping out to any other machines on my LAN.
>  I am running dualboot on my Linux machine.  When I boot to windows instead
> of Linux, I can see the other machine on my network fine.

OK, sounds like your hardware is fine. So you have a configuration
problem of some kind.

> ethernet card = D-Link-220P
> LAN = 2 pc's directly connected via UTP

If you can talk to the other machine in Windows, you must be using a
crossover cable. Good.

> IP address = 192.168.0.1
> network = 192.168.0.0
> broadcast = 192.168.0.255
> subnet = 255.255.255.0

Hmmm. You only mention one IP address. What's the IP address of the
other machine?

> DESTINATION   GATEWAY     GENMASK        FLAGS  METRIC REF USE  IFACE
>
> localnet         *      255.255.255.0      U       0    0   2    eth0
> loopnet          *      255.0.0.0          U       0    0   2    lo
> default  test.linux.com   0.0.0.0          UG      0    0  13    eth0

Your default route just looks wrong. What are the hosnames you're using
for your machines? Posting the output of "route -n" as well as "route"
might shed some light on this situation.

> ERROR MESSAGE FROM DMESG:

> eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x43, ISR=0x2, t=800
> ARP: arp called for own IP address

What's in /etc/hosts and /etc/networks?

Is your gateway host (test.linux.com?? huh?) the local host? Are your
remote host and local host set up to use the same IP address? From the
error message, I have a feeling your problem is the latter.

-Greg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:24:03 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Eric DE VITO wrote:

> I am currently creting a list of linux users interested in scsi-idle system
> to be added to the kernel scsi driver.

Spinning down SCSI disks is generally a bad idea. Here's why:
1) First of all, SCSI disks are sold as server hw. They have a
relatively high MTBF, but generally a very low (if compared to IDE)
number of guaranteed startup-cycles. So, exessive restarting SCSI disks
will lead to a shortened lifetime of SCSI disks.
2) Because of (1), integrating such support in the stock kernel would
lead to many people enabling it w/o knowing what they do.
3) Spinning down disks usually requires a re-configuration of updated,
so that it takes more time between syncs to the disk. While this is
generally acceptable for laptops (because they have their own sort-of
UPS: the battery), it can cause the hell for a desktop system, which is
not protected against power failures.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:14:28 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB CDR

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I have bought recently a Mitsumi USB
> CDR-RW.
> Does anyone know if :
> 1./USB port is supported under 2.2.9 Kernel
> 2./The CDR can be recognized if the USB works

Support for that kind of stuff is in the experimental kernels 2.3.x.
There may be some patches for 2.2.x, but I doubt they will help you with
such modern hw. Note, however, that the current 2.3.x kernels are
extremely dangerous pieces to work with, due to extensive changes to the
filesystem-buffer code. You don't want to use them for a system you want
to work with.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: PAS16: how??
Date: 24 Jun 1999 19:01:09 GMT

Piotr allegedly wrote:
>Carlos Wexler wrote:
[SNIP]

Okay, here is the complete conf.modules line I use(d to use) to initialize
my PAS16:

options pas2 io=0x388 irq=15 dma=7 dma16=7 sb_io=0x240 sb_irq=2 sb_dma=2 \
sb_dma16=5

The sb_irq=2 should be changed, since 2 is reserved for some other function.
(I set it to 2 to disable that portion of the card, as I also have a TB Malibu
 soundcard)

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:15:05 -0700

Can you include output of ifconfig -a and netstat -rn. Your routing table
does not make any sence, because it displays network names instead of
addresses. If you use netstat -rn, then we can see IP numbers and help you.

Good luck!

news:7ku11k$64s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Glen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need advice on modem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:01:50 -0400

Ummm... 100mhz 486? Are you sure?

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Raid problem
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:57:12 +1000

Sounds like you have software raid
not a raid device

Tony

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.caldera,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: HELP! Compaq Netflex 3/P network card
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:23:40 -0500

If you are running on a dual processor server, you might have the apic mode set
incorectly.  On Compaq servers, you type <ctl>A during the start of the config
program for advanced mode and set the apic mode to full table mapped mode.  I
believe this is the mode you need.  You are probably set to full table mode.
That's the only way I know of to get the high IRQs.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Sreenivasa Sista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Help with modem!
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:24:41 GMT

Hi Andrey,

You should be able to use ISA modem in linux and PCI modem in windows. Since
linux cannot find a winmodem, and windows cannot find a ISA modem (something
I find really strange), there should not be any conflicts, unless they share
the same IO/IRQ which  is not the case with the PCI & ISA slots.

I'm just trying to give you a procedure to debug (you may know it already).
Use one of the following steps:

Before you start debugging, count the number of COM ports on your system.
Also, check the COM port setting of your USR ISA modem. Also make sure it is
not a PNP modem. If there are no IO conflicts (they are not set to the same
COM port), then you should be able to use the modem in windows (go to
control panel->add new hardware-> ...... don't let windows detect the
hardware for you, it is a waste of time) and definitely in linux.

(1)  using MSDOS

If your ISA modem is not a ISA-PNP modem, then the modem UART should be
mapped to one of the COM port (under DOS/Windows). This can be found out by
going to windows DOS mode and loading debug.exe (maybe debug.com in the
\windows\command directory). In the debug mode, issue a command "d 40:0" at
the - prompt (without the quotes). A bunch of number will be displayed
something like this

F8  02  E8  02  78 03 ............................................
.

on the first line you read these values as

02F8
02E8
0378

Now, what do they mean ? All the UART (serial) ports are assigned one IO
port address. The mapping is as follows

COM1  -  3F8
COM2  -  2F8
COM3  -  3E8
COM4  -  2E8
LPT1   - 378
and ... so on

(2) in linux

Also, if there are no IO conflicts, you can see that linux detects all the
COM ports as UART 16650A (I think I am right) devices and lists them on the
screen during the booting process. There should be an entry for this in
/var/log/dmesg.

If you find your modem COM port listed, you are all set, just create a
symbolic link to your COM port. If you are using RH6.0 set the following
links

COM1  => /dev/ttyS0
COM2  => /dev/ttyS1 and so on.

Good luck.

Sreenivasa

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compatible Modems for Linux
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:01:49 GMT

jerry keeney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: w8tn4g0d0t;
: I also just got a Zoom Dualmode external modem.  I have been trying to get
: it configured with isapnp, with not much luck.  Linux Mandrake 5.3 (redhat
: 5.2), and when linux boots up, it lists  ttsy02 as irq 4, and I have tried
: to change that (no luck), and also using isapnp.conf, setting to irq 4, no
: luck.  The modem works under windows on irq 3.  Any suggestions (Zoom 2949L)

Sounds like you are looking at the wrong place.

Isapnp is great, but it will do nothing with external modems.

You should probably check you bios settings to see how the
serial ports are set.  Get them working, and you should
be able to talk to the modem.

I would expect the device would be /dev/ttyS1, or /dev/ttyS2

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Dan LaPine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:12:42 -0500

Gravot wrote:

> I loaded Linux on a spare system last friday night and I am smitten!
> I'm looking ahead to my next system and was wondering what kind of
> hardware considerations I need to make - aside from avoiding anything
> prefaced with a "win"?  I am especially curious about sound cards.  Is
> there any one card that is more suitable than the rest? If so, what is
> the reasoning?  Any favorites?
> TIA
> Gravot

Creative Ensoniq with 1371 chipsets are very close in quality in to
the orignial Ensoniq 1370 in terms of Linux performance. And they
are both well supported in RedHat 6.0. Did I mention that they can
be had for around $15 plus shipping. ;)

Check     http://www.pricewatch.com/

using ensoniq as the search term.

Dan LaPine