From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Vectra Problem with Cyclades 8Ys
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:49:46 +1000

Have you added support for the cyclades into the kernel ????

It's not there by default on redhat 5.2 if I remember right.

Tony Platt

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "David Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: LVD Question
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:06:24 -0500

Sorry to take the focus away from this thread, but I've bee wondering the
same thing as Mike here.  I read the SCSI FAQ and I read Ancot's free SCSI
book but they conflict on the topic of LVD.  The FAQ says its OK to mix LVD
and SE devices, while the book says it's a no-no.  It sounds like it's OK as
Johan's hard drive has a jumper for LVD/SE.  So is the case you can have a
mixture of SE and LVD as long as all the devices are configured (SE or LVD)
the same?  Thanks

------------------------------

From: David Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Synaptics touchpad
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:02:49 +0100

Many laptops come with a synaptics touchpad which works under Linux.

Does anyone know where I can buy one for a desktop PC? I've tried
Synaptics but they said that they only produce the circuit-boards.

Thanks.

David Ward

------------------------------

From: "RMeise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:10:11 +0200

Does anyone have experience with ISDN?

I bought an external ISDN adapter but the support line of the company did
help me at all they basically told me to f... off.....

Does anyone have any hints....?

Thanx in advance

Fencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Giovanni)
Subject: Cannot pause scsi chip
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:12:35 GMT

I' ve tried to install a Debian 2.1 on a scsi hard disk;
the controller is an Adaptec 284x , I boot from CD-rom, the kernel
recognize the scsi and the hard disk; then the kernel hangs up by
saying:
'cannot pause scsi chip'.
I' ve tried many bios' configurations and many parameters passed to
the kernel (aic7xxx=extended,no_reset) but nothing has changed.
What can I do now ?

------------------------------

From: Sergei Starchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q:] Format Jaz on Sun, read on Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:34:52 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if a Jaz disk, formatted on the Sun machine and having
Solaris filesystem on it can then be connected to a Linux box and
mounted there?

So, basically, can Linux mount Sun filesystems ?

Cheers,
S.

------------------------------

From: LETOT Rémi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card with no mixer : how to record ?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:05:26 +0200

I have quite an old sound card (Sound Booster) compatible Sound Blaster.
It has no mixer on it, just a knob to handle output volume. It works
well with output, but I can't seem to be able to record anything with
it.
I followed the Sound-HOWTO to test it, but they say to first select the
input using a mixer program...I have no mixer on board...
What can I do ? the only thing I can record is static noise :-(
--

- Rémi -
Remove ".nospam" to reply

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Need Iomega Ditto 3200 (3.2G) Tape Drive info
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:34:29 GMT

the tapes
> relatively expensive, there are very few (perhaps none) OS/2 programs =

that can
> operate them, and there is likely to be no compatibility between other=
=20
OS's or
> platforms. =20

Hmmm.  I used Backmaster with my Jumbo 250 (and later with Jumbo 350;=20
both floppy-based tape drives) for several years without problems in=20
OS/2.  The one caveat is that it did like having a dedicated tape=20
controller board (really a 2.8MB floppy controller dedicated to the=20
tape drive) to work properly.

>A SCSII DAT drive is relatively expensive (even used,
> reconditioned, or from a discount place) but the tapes are relatively =

cheap,
> there are more than one OS/2 programs that can run them, and there is =

some
> compatibility between OS's and platforms.

True enough, I got an Exabyte drive for US$90 last year that's been=20
serving me well since I retired the Jumbo.  If you want=20
high-performance SCSI (eg, you want to run HD's or CD-R on the SCSI=20
bus) you should expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for a decent=20
host-bus adapter.  If all you want is the tape drive and maybe a=20
simple CDROM and/or scanner on the SCSI bus you could get away with=20
something considerably cheaper.

--=20
-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "ATT_news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for Epson Photo 750 printer
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:41:59 -0500

Does anyone know of a driver that will at least allow b&w printing with this
printer from linux?

Is there a better place to ask or to look?

Thanks

David Parkhurst

------------------------------

From: Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: APM patch for sysvinit (poweroff)
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:09:09 +0200

Allin Cottrell wrote:

> Leslie wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a patch to let sysvinit tools shut down
> > my box, running 2.2.10 kernel.
>
> In rc.0, replace
>
>   command="halt"
>
> with
>
>   command="halt -p"

I tried "halt -p" and "poweroff" as root on the console but it only did

a usual halt, even if both manpage and halt --help said there is such

an option -p

My kernel is built with apm support. Any idea whats wrong?

greets
-andre

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
         ~andre~perrot~
         ~[EMAIL PROTECTED]~            < use~linuX >
                               powered by linux 2.2.10
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

------------------------------

From: Greg Bartels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: asus.support.english.mainboard.p2bx,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: UDMA-4, U/66 performance
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 07:32:07 -0400

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> Greg Bartels wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Jonathan wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually I own a promise card. With a 5400 rpm drive I  see NO
> >> difference, however, with the 7200 there is a mark difference in
> >> performance.  It is not an incredible difference.  The card let me
> >> install 4 more ide drives.
> >
> >which promise card do you have?
> >if the Ultra 66, which drivers do you use?
>
> Don't expect any significant performance improvement from a Promise Ultra66.

alright, I'll bite, why not?

a Promise Ultra66 mated to a Western Digital Expert drive
should be faster than any setup that uses UDMA33, yes?

I think the Expert drive spun at 7200 RPM and had more
platters than usual, so maybe it can utilize the
UDMA66 bus.

Computer Shopper did a recent review on the card and
said it benchmarked faster.

I've been looking for components for a new system, and
I was thinking of getting a Promise Ultra66 card and
a WD Expert drive. (and holding my breath for Promise's
driver for the hardware so I can use it with Linux)

Greg

------------------------------

From: Rodolphe Guinot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem adding RAM
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:36:04 +0200

Hi there,

I've got a weird problem.
My linux (2.0.34) box had 64MB of RAM which became too little. So I've
put an extra 128MB in it and I can get linux to see more than 160MB.
My m/board is a Intel 440BX, and has a 1 x 128MB DIMM in slot1 and 1 x
32MB in slot 2 and 3 (there is only 3 RAM slots)

I should have 192MB which are recognised by the bios.
On my lilo.conf I have append="mem=192M", which cause a kernel panic at
boot time, it complains about not being able to mount the root
partition. If I specify append="mem=160M" it boots just fine, 161M it
crashes.
Now 192 - 160 = 32... I'm wondering why I can't access the last 32MB...

Has anyone got a similar problem?

Thanks
Rod

------------------------------

From: Chris Aiken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Imation LS120 setup
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 08:09:18 -0400

Have you looked at:  http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html

There is a script that can be used to set up the /dev/pf0 device.
It may already be on your system

...hope this helps
...cwa

KooThatFrog wrote:

> [...]
>
> Linux version 2.2.7 (root@debian) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 SMP Wed Jun 30
> 11:57:59 MYT 1999
> mapped APIC to ffffe000 (00220000)
> mapped IOAPIC to ffffd000 (00221000)
> Detected 132956321 Hz processor.
>
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 53.04 BogoMIPS
>
> Memory: 47104k/49152k available (844k kernel code, 416k reserved, 744k data,
> 44k init)
>
> Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
>
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
>
> Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
> POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
>
> per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 1.56 usecs.
>
> CPU0: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 0b
>
> SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
>
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb0e0
>
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
>
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
>
> Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
>
> Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
>
> NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
>
> NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
>
> IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
>
> Starting kswapd v 1.5
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2,EPP]
>
> parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 600
>
> Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
>
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>
> ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
>
> lp0: using parport0 (polling).
>
> PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
>
> PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>
> PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
> PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
>
> PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x3000-0x3007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0x3008-0x300f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
>
> hda: WDC AC14300R, ATA DISK drive
>
> hdb: IBM-DJAA-31700, ATA DISK drive
>
> hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>
> hda: WDC AC14300R, 4112MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=524/255/63, (U)DMA
>
> hdb: IBM-DJAA-31700, 1628MB w/96kB Cache, CHS=827/64/63
>
> hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
>
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
>
> paride: epat registered as protocol 0
>
> pf: pf version 1.04, major 47, cluster 64, nice 0
>
> pf0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
>
> pf0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 3 (EPP-8), delay 1
>
> pf0: MATSHITA LS-120 COSM 04, master LUN 0, type 0, removable, no media
>
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>
> FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>
> PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
>
> TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
>
> PPP line discipline registered.
>
> Partition check:
>
> hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
>
>  hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k freed
>
> Adding Swap: 76604k swap-space (priority -1)

Definition of Windows 95:
A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

------------------------------

From: Gilles Gravier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Drivers for NeoMagic?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:11:12 +0200

Hi!

I've got a Toshiba Libretto 100CT and am desperately looking for
X11. Can anyone give me pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Gilles.

--
/--------------+---------------------------------------------\
|      /\      |               Gilles Gravier                |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Console on an old machine with serial cable
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:00:06 GMT

Gabor Dukai ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi!
: I want to connect my PC to a DEC Rainbow 100 (8086 and Z80) with serial
: cable. It can work in terminal mode (ROM), it supports speed up to 19200 and
: FDXA, FDAX (I don't know what this means.) cables. When I tried
: mgetty -r -s 19200 ttyS0 it did nothing.

What cable did you use?  You need a null-modem cable (female connectors on
each end, pins 2 and 3 are crossed as well as some other modem control lines,
like 6 and 8 crossed with 20, the grounds 1 and 7 are straight through).

How did you run "mgetty"?  Usually it gets put into /etc/inittab, like this:

        # Start a getty on the modem line
        m1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 DT19200

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "Brian K. White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.sco,comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.unix.sco.programmer
Subject: Re: Mounting a SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 Filesystem in Linux?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:50:09 -0400

Binesh Bannerjee wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Bartek Golenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Thats because Linux 2.0.x could not recognize SCO division table on a
> : partition - you could always mount SCO floppies. There is an option in 2.2.x
> : that will probably allow you to do this.
>
> What option is that? (Upon further investigation I found this in the docs
> From Documentation/filesystems/sysv-fs.txt as of linux-2.2.9
> > Bugs in the present implementation:
> > - Coherent FS:
> >   - The "free list interleave" n:m is currently ignored.
> >   - Only file systems with no filesystem name and no pack name are
> >     recognized.
> >   (See Coherent "man mkfs" for a description of these features.)
> > - SystemV Release 2 FS:
> >   The superblock is only searched in the blocks 9, 15, 18, which
> >   corresponds to the beginning of track 1 on floppy disks. No
> >   support for this FS on hard disk yet.
>
> So, it looks as tho the SysV FS doesn't support hard drives still...
>
> What option are you talking about?
>
> Binesh
>
> : --
> : Bartek Golenko
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I know I remember seeing a patch for 2.0 or 2.1 that specifically was
for adding support for recognising Xenix divvy filesystems/slices on a
Xenix partition. I don't know where I saw this, but I'm sure it washed
up in an ordinary web search with a search string like "xenix linux"
That was for Xenix, not 3.2v5.0.2, but in linux anything sco would be
supplied by the same sysvfs driver, and this was a while ago, so maybe
more work has been done.
Just wanted you to know that there is some chance that what you want
does exist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Evans Jeffcoat)
Subject: Re: 6gig HDD thinks it's 2.4gig.
Date: 1 Jul 1999 13:16:45 GMT

chris ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I used Partition Magic back when I had a windows partition to, well,
: manage partitions. I no longer have a windows partition, but, and I
: think this happened just before I finally got rid of it, I screwed up
: somehow and fdisk, PQMagic, and even the BIOS think I have a tiny HDD

Linux doesn't much care what the BIOS thinks, as long as it
knows enough to find LILO. That shouldn't be the problem. Was
the windows partition you removed perhaps about 3.6GB? It's not
quite clear what you mean by "wipe the partiton", have you tried
running fdisk (in Linux) and asking it to create a new partition?
You might just have a lot of space that hasn't been re-allocated,
that needs fdisk to tell to it be an ext2 filesystem. (If this
is the problem, you'll end up with 2 separate partitions; I don't
know of a way to get one big partition without losing the data
in the first one. This isn't necessarily a problem, but it's
something to keep in mind.)

Mark jeffcoat