From: Chad Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet series II
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.hp.hardware
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:17:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware James Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm having a problem printing more than 2 pages on my laserjet series II
> using Linux Redhat 5.2 and magicfilter.

> I end up with a half completed second page and get an "error 20" on the
> front panel.

> As I purchased the printer secondhand without manuals, could someone let
> me know what this error code means, and also, any information regarding
> success with linux, magicfilter and a laserjet.

        Get 2MB more memory, or better yet a LaserJet 3 motherboard with a
2-4MB memory board, if you can get one (the printers _look_ different but the
engines are identical, and it is upgradable...) for better performance.

        If neither of those is possible, set it to 150dpi, which oughta
fit in the standard 512K.

        - Chad

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Info about AMD K6 sig11 bug
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:03:06 -0500

Raymond wrote:

> Hello,
>     Where can I find more information about the AMD K6 sig11 bug, which
> is mentioned by the Linux kernel stuff?

http://wwwatnf.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/docs/kernel-list-faq.html#s8-6

http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/

If you have a high-speed K6-III and you get signal 4 and/or signal 11 when
compiling the kernel, the problem is probably overheating.  I had that, so
I replaced my CPU fan with a bigger one, mounted it with thermal grease,
put in a hard-drive cooling fan for the sole purpose of drawing more air
in through the front of my case, and the problem went away.

Another guy reported similar results here a couple of weeks ago.  He had a
novel way of testing it before running to the parts store:  he took the
case off his system, put a big room fan blowing directly onto the
motherboard, and tried again at compiling the kernel, and that showed him
that his was an overheating problem too.

See also http://www1.amd.com/products/cpg/thermals/.  I couldn't find any
of the fans listed there short of mail order, so I just tried my luck with
a Vantec fan (no part number) that was the biggest fan/sink combo any of
the local stores had, and it has worked fine.

OTOH, if you have a really old K6, I think some of them had an incurable
problem and merited a factory exchange.  (This is mentioned in one or more
of the links above.)

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: fammacd=!SPAM^[EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Macdonald)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:22:59 GMT

Nobody?:-)  There are many smaller models in the ~4K equation size - many
of them quite difficult numerically.

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:36:29 -0400, "Suleyman Karabuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>George,
>
>The model was a MIP with 50 binary, 37725 linear variables with 26310 linear
>constraints. You may be right in that smaller models may run better on the
>Celeron but nobody solves smaller models anyway.
>
>> What size of LP model were you running on CPLEX?  Was it LP or MIP?  I'd
>> expect the performance comparison of CPLEX to vary with the size of the
>> model.  Small models of say 2K or 3K equations, where the working set is
>> mainly in the 128KB L2 cache, should perform better on a Celeron, medium
>> sized models (up to 10K or so equations??) should show an advantage to the
>> PII but with very large models, which overflow the PII L2 cache, I'd
>expect
>> to see the comparison start to level out again.
>>
>> Rgds, George Macdonald
>>
>> "Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who,
>me??

Rgds, George Macdonald

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bud (the original))
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:58:57 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:40:21 -0700, "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:I saw in another post that someone claimed Abit is using a Promise
:controller chip to add two more IDE channels with UDMA/66 support.   In
:other words, it apparently has two UDMA/33 and two UDMA/66 channels...

Yep, that's what it looks like on their webpage.  Not bad!

Now, if we could only get a Super-7 MB like that.

:)

TO reply via e-mail, change the I in the address to an A.
CA antispam laws went into effect Jan 1, 1999.
Violators may be liable for both fines AND jail time for spamming this account.

------------------------------

From: "FM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Summary and Clarification (Celeron, what's the catch?)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:35:16 -0400

-> An overwhelming consensus against buying a computer from
college

I might or might not have much choice regarding this issue.
This college has strict computer-ownership requirements and
it will be a hassle to fit a new system into them. I have
recently checked Dell's website and the price was fairly
similar (Dell's definitely overpriced, at least as far as I
know). Although I'm sure I can get a better deal outside, I
might be eligible for financial aid if I buy one from
college. (I'm still waiting for the mail package which
should have all this relevent information including prices).

-> Celeron's performance (favors comparably against PII/PIII
for price/performance although trails slightly behind in
some areas)

I guess Celeron suffices for my purposes.

-> Get K6-3/K7/*

Well I don't think I really have any choice, if I buy one
from college. I'll look into K6-2/3 if I get to choose my
own system. I have neither the bucks nor the time for K7,
having already ordered a small laptop.

-> Celeron 300a has a shorter cache latency than a Celeron
466 (Chris Robato Yao)

Somehow I didn't quite understand how this is the case. So
for CPU's, 300@450 is fastr than genuine 450? Or is this a
particular case for Celerons?

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuiltalt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.be.help,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: 4 Jul 1999 15:01:45 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:05:40 GMT, Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I think he's suggesting that only SCSI CD-ROM drives were supported by
>OS/2 2.1, which might have been true.

Nope, I used a proprietary interfaced Panasonic CR-562b 2x CD-ROM
(connected to a SoundBlaster 16) in OS/2 2.1.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "christiano presutti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Xfree and ATI All-in-wonder 128 or ATI Rage fury 128
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:29:46 +0200

ciao enrico,
speakinig in english for respect to other readers, actually basic english.

your card is not yet supported by xfreee86, so you need to use
framebuffering to use your card.
this mean your processor will make calculations instead of the card
processor: slower but you can run a reasonable resolution and colordepth.

for setting up your system, follow instruction at this address:

http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm

Check periodically:

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/README3.html

or

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

to look for a new release of xfree86.

christo.

news:7lnk13$jmk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "ITTOLUM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PS/2 model 56 and Linux
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:24:17 +0200

Hello,
    I try to install Linux (Slackware 3, Kernel 2.x.x) on an old PS/2 model
56,
    i use the IBMMCA kernel and during boot i pass ibmmcascsi=7 parameter
(found in howto)
    BUT
    linux kernel doesn't find SCSI adaptater
    What can i do ?

------------------------------

From: "Thorsten Heit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:20:15 +0200

> I want to buy an ATI All-in-wonder 128.
> Someone has this Videocard (or another one with ATI Rage 128bit chipset
like
> Rage fury) together with Linux? About Xfree?
> I read the XFree Faq and I saw there no ATI RAGE 128 support...
> Afterall can I use just simple VGA (640*480) (or better) even if XFREE
> doesn't recognize the ATI Rage 128 chipset???

If you're using an Rage128 chip you should stop gpm; otherwise your system
can hang if you switch to another virtual console or try to start X...
(don't know why Linux hangs but that trick works).

The actual version of XFree86 doesn't support that chip. You have to use a
commercial X server like Accelerated-X from XiGraphics (www.xig.com).
Otherwise you have to use the standard VGA resolution 640x480/16 colors
w/60 Hz....
I've read some postings about people running the XFree86-Mach64 server
together with a Rage128 chipset but I don't know what they have done to
get this combination running...

Thorsten

------------------------------

From: Christelle Van-Den-Broucke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LCD
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 10:53:30 +0200

Do you know how to connect a LCD DMC40218 on the printer port?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,linux.dev.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Crash/Reboot with Adaptec 3940UW
Date: 5 Jul 1999 07:40:53 GMT

your attention to presentation and details is excellent.  i'm no expert to look
into your problems but just happen to know that 3940uw has several different
assemblies with different chips operating in different manners requiring
different drivers.  to make life easier for all, perhaps you can first check
whether you've got the right set of drivers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: mouse problems
Date: 5 Jul 1999 07:58:04 GMT

On 5 Jul 1999 00:05:54 GMT, Moumtaiz NASSER wrote:
>i have just installed Linux and everything want as planned however i do not
>have any control over my mouse it just sits in the middle of the screen.  I
>have a microsoft mouse (serial).  Can anyone help i don't know what to do
>--

1. Check if you've gpm running, there may be a conflict between your gpm and X
over mouse control. If you don't want to have mouse support on your text console
terminal, disable it. If you're running RedHat 6.0, use 'ntsysv' to disable gpm
service (it will be disabled on your next rebook), running gpm -k will kill the
gpm for the current session.

2. Check your /etc/X11/XF86Config, use microsoft protocol..

..
Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "Microsoft"
    Device "/dev/mouse"
    Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

3. If you wanted gpm to run alongside with your X, use the following.. run gpm
with -R to act as a repeater. In your XF86Config.. use the following:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "MouseSystems"
    Device "/dev/gpmdata"
    Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       | [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|iMac/233RevB/MacOS 8.6  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |