From: Scott Prigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i (CD-RW)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:07:17 -0400

Anyone had any experience with this HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i  ??  I am
thinking about putting it in place of regular CD-Rom on new system..
SuSE database indicates "cdwriter" works for 8110 CDRW model.

Does the kernel support basic CD-ROM functioning through IDE . . .  and
then one needs software for writing disks?

--

E-MAIL >>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ALT  >>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How much space for each partition?
Date: 5 Jul 1999 03:41:46 GMT

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:13:45 -0700, TURBO1010 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have 3 hard drives, SCSI is divided into 3 partitions, / (root partition)
>/home and swap.  I want to add 2 more hard drives, what directories should I
>move over to the new hard drives.  I know /usr would be one, since that's
>taking a bunch of room.  What partition should I put on the other hard
>drive?  Any suggestions would be appreciated

If you have multiple users, /home on a separate drive is always a good
idea.  Otherwise, it'll be difficult to know ahead of time.  /usr on a
large partition is good.  /var maybe a good idea, but if it's just a
personal machine, /var won't be too large.

I just add drives where I need them when the need arises.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: "H. Michael Smith, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:35:54 -0400

------------------------------

From: "John Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: APM: Halt crashes when trying to poweroff.
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:12:14 -0400

Does anyone know about the FIC VA-503+ Motherboard?

It has the VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset and the award bios.  But before I but I
want to know if it has the bug and if it has been fixed.

--
John Morris
Information Systems Consultant

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSL versus Cable modem.
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:07:18 -0500

Jeremy Fincher wrote:

> what is the normal total cost associated with getting a cable modem?

Go to http://www.mediaonerr.com and you can view their prices as well as
availability in your area.

Here in MN, they're currently offering installation for $49.95.  I also
pay $49.95 per month for the service, which includes both the physical
link plus the normal ISP charges with 4 e-mail addresses and 10MB of web
disk space.  If you already have cable TV service, it's $10 less per
month.

        .../Ed

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@*RemoveTheStars*hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject: Re: best sound card
Date: 05 Jul 1999 17:32:24 +0200

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:

> As far as I can tell, the best sounding card that definitely works
> under Linux is the Turtle Beach Fiji.

Does the digital I/O work with Linux?
--
Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TU Darmstadt -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://heplix.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/~ohl/ [<=== PGP public key here]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:13:52 -0600
From: Ian Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual P3 locking up

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but...

I upgraded my Tyan Tiger 100 to dual P3-450s.  I'm running 2.2.10.
Matrox G200 framebuffer mode is also on.  Redhat 6.0.  Corsair PC-100
memory.  Western digital drives.  2940u2w and a 3com fast ethernet card.

Both CPUs have a heatsink with 2 fans, only I could only find 3 fan
connectors so the second fan on the second CPU isn't connected to
anything yet.  I'm really hoping that is my problem.

I fire up Linux and it usually happens when I'm running netscape over a
PPP connection but I've seen it happen once when I wasn't connected or
running netscape but the system freezes and the little box in the upper
right corner appears, almost exactly the same size as the framebuffer
logo. Reset is the only way to fix it. I have not changed my X server
since I started using FB, since it seemed to work I didn't think it
mattered.  The freeze also happens without framebuffer.

The BIOS says the temp of the processors is around 41 degrees C,  I've
seen it go up to 43 once.  Intel says it should be good up to about
50-55 degrees.

This is the kicker, I can leave the system on for hours without it
happening, if I'm coding offline, I've only seen it happen once and that
was immediately after I disconnected from the internet.  Sometimes when
I'm logged on it works for hours, others it works for 20 minutes and
freezes. (Murphy times it strategically so that I get about 25 minutes
into the 30 minute download..;)  my modem is external, I know they get
hot but that's not it.

My guess and hope would be that it's a simple hardware issue and as soon
as I get a splitter cable and plug the 4 fan in it will stop but because
of the odd square in the corner of the window and the way it seems to be
linked to network access I think it could possibly be a kernel issue.
Any ideas or has anyone seen this before?

thanks,
Ian Nelson

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 05 Jul 1999 07:15:01 -0700

"Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 2;  Freedom is worth many times what a name brand education is.  And its
> often far more educational.

Difficult to see how you could have tried out both of these...
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 15:30:45 GMT

Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: Unless you want to base your computation code entirely on X87 FPU
: opcodes, the Intel solution is better, and for the two, the PII or PIII
: is a better choice due to its larger caches and faster memory subsystem.
:
: On the other hand, if one uses a 3DNow supporting compiler, like
: Codewarrior, using 3DNow is going to be much faster on the FPU
: computation of large data sets and matrices, so I suggest the AMD route
: here, especially the K6-III 450.
:

This is not an option for scientific calculations. My understanding is that
3dnow only speeds up single percision floating point calcs. Numerical error
accumulation/truncation error will kill you at single percision.

--
Salem Lee Ganzhorn... [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 5 Jul 1999 15:37:48 GMT

Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: its time, while the CPU is idle.  Spreadsheets and compiling won't be
: taking advantage of duals since most of them aren't designed for it, but

gmake.. you will see huge gains in compiling with multiple processors.
Compiling of modules is completely independent and parallel processing is the
way to g.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Solution:Sound Modem conflict in Redhat6 linux
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:13:32 GMT

Hi,

I see that there a lot of people having that same problem I did with the
sound and modem conflicting
under Redhat 6.0. (I think this is just a problem with the people who
have Soundblaster type
soundcards and modems on COM2) Heres how I fixed it:

1. Go to the /etc directory and delete the file "isapnp.conf" and
"isapnp.conf.bak"
2. Edit the file "conf.modules" so that there is no info about your
soundcard in it.
3. Go to the /etc/sysconfig directory and delete the file "soundcard"
4. Reboot the system.
5. Set up your modem, or if you already have, make sure its working
properly by connecting up to
your ISP.
6. Go to the /etc directory and edit the "isapnp.gone" file.  Open the
file and scroll down to where it
has the info about the COM ports. Simply remove the #'s from in front of
the info of the COM port
your modem is on. For example, my modem is on COM2-so after i edited the
"isapnp.gone" file it
looked like this:
...(etc.)
# Standard motherboard stuff
#
# COM1
#
#IO 0x3f8,8
#IRQ 4
#
# COM2
#
IO 0x2f8,8
IRQ 3
#
# Parallel
#
#IO 0x378,2
#IRQ 7
#
# PS2 mouse
...(etc.)

7. Save the changes to the "isapnp.gone" file.
8. Run sndconfig.
9. Set up your sound card with all the correct values. (Usually IO
0x220, IRQ 5, and DMA 1 for
Soundblaster type cards).
10. Ok, now that you have the sound working check to make sure your
modem is still available, by
surfing thru a few webpages you never looked at.
11. If your modem seems to be alright, then reboot and youre all fixed!
If not, sorry, I tried.
Remember what works for me might not work for you.

Hope this helps!

DTS

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konrad Hambrick)
Subject: Re: Notebook with ATI Mach 64 ( and LS-120 and PCMCIA )
Date: 5 Jul 1999 16:44:57 GMT

In article <7ln9bk$ocg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ting EDV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i have a Notebook with an ATI MACH 64 Graphicscard. I can not run X-Server
>with them (i use Suse 6.1), i see always double pictures on screen.
>Who can tell me a solution for that?
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter

Peter --

I am almost happy with the configuration on my new laptop
( ProStar 8250, PII-366, DVD, LS-120, Win98, RedHat 5.2, WinNT ).

I got a great jump-start from Steve Hsieh's Dell Inspiron 7000
page:  http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/index.html

Before futzing around with the kernel, do read the Kernel-HOWTO
and also the PCMCIA-HOWTO if you want to add a modem, ethernet, etc.

There is also a nice README in the kernel source root dir and the
Documentation/Configure.help file is very handy too.

Steve has a kernel in a tar-ball ( 2.2.3 ) that worked out-of-the-box
for Frame Buffer support ( afaik, the only non-commercial way to
drive that particular card ).  Be sure to download his XF86Config
file and watch out that your browser does not break long lines at
the 80-char mark -- if it does, vi XF86Config and J the lines.

Steve has a pointer to Anawat Chankhunthod's page for installing
pcmcia support ( I am dialed in over my 3CCFE575BT as I type ;-)

If you want a nice X-app, cardinfo, download and install xforms
before making the pcmcia modules.  IIRC, SuSE already has the
xforms lib ( ls -l /usr/lib/libforms* ), if not the one I dld'd
is at:

   ftp://ftp.sunsite.edu/pub/linux/X11/devel/builders/xforms-0.81.ELF.tgz

Finally, to get my LS-120 working, I downloaded the 2.2.3 kernel
source, moved the /usr/src/linux soft link to point at linux-2.2.3
and placed Steve's .config file in /usr/src/linux.

I changed three lines in Steve's .config:

   # Steve had M586TSC=y, I imagine for compatibility with Celeron
   # models.  My kernel id'd my processor as a Celeron so I changed
   # the processor type -- after compiling, uname recognizes a 686
   # ( pentium pro / pentium II ) but dmesg still says Celeron ???

   # CONFIG_M586TSC is not set

   CONFIG_M686=y

   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m

I also untarred pcmcia-cs-3.0.9.tar.gz into /usr/src/linux

Then I ran:

   make oldconfig
   make dep
   make bzImage
   make modules
   make modules_install
   make install
   lilo

Then do:

   cd pcmcia-cs-3.0.9
   make config          # answer a few questions as Anawat recommends
                        # there is no longer a Q about Experimental
                        # interrupt probe code ( his page refs v3.0.5 )
   make all
   make install
   edit the files under /etc as Anawat recommends.

It all works ( X, pcmcia, dvd as a cdrom and ls-120 ).

I tried the same with the 2.2.9 kernel -- no go on the pcmcia ( ver
3.0.13 ).  It was unable to allocate the high memory and defaults to
a cs_memory card.  I have some more testing to try before I whine
about anything.

OTOH, I am a software-type -- if the hardware works why fix it ?

( just kidding -- I will figure it out or id the problem for
  David Hinds and the pcmcia guys ;-)

HTH and thanks to David, Steve, Anawat and all the others who contributed !

-- kjh
Konrad J. Hambrick           |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
1111 Seacoast Dr.  Unit 41   |  home:   (619) 423-4451     |
Imperial Beach, CA   91932   |                             |

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Woo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need to Build Low-Cost Linux Box
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:41:05 -0400

Have you considered an e-machine?

news:7lgr2h$r3v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: FIC 503+
Date: 5 Jul 1999 09:31:15 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
jack  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hello,
>does anyone have experience with the FIC 503+ w/ an AMD K6-2 3D  400
>chip and linux.
>does it work?!

Yes. Yes it does.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: Marc Leeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,flashnet.it.hobby.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problem with Iomega ZIP.
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 19:38:57 +0200

==============58F9B22BD91F522449BD6B8E

> HI, I've installed RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) and now I've some trouble
> with my parallel port Zip.
> With my old version of Red Hat (5.2) I've only to do "insmod ppa" from a
> root account and then to mount the correct sda device (4 for Dos disks
> or 1 for Linux disks).
> Now when do "insmod ppa" I get a list of errors:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_claim_Rcca15f23
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_register_device_R064ebecf
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_unregister_device_R3618c96f
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_enumerate_R648d1e26
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_release_R4430d136

I got the same.

insmod parport
insmod ppa

solves it for me
==============58F9B22BD91F522449BD6B8E

begin:vcard
n:Leeman;Marc
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:KULeuven;ACCA/ESAT
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:ir.
x-mozilla-cpt:;-30432
fn:Marc Leeman
end:vcard

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AIT Tape problem
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 12:32:37 -0500

Rob Carter wrote:

> We have just bought a new PC Server (Compaq Proliant 3000) for our
> institute and thought we would try it out running Linux (SuSe 6.1).
> Everything has worked out to now, when we decided to test out the
> AIT tape drive (Compaq AIT 35) for backups.  Everthing seems to be
> working correctly with the SCSI driver and mt can be used to address the
> drive.  However on trying to dump a 250 MB partition to the tape we were
> rather to find that two tapes are needed!  ie instead of 35 GB we can
> get maybe 200 MB on each tape.

If you are using the dump command (as you message seems to indicate) try
the B option. It sets the size in bytes and overrides the length and
density values. Here is the command I use for a level 0 dump of the
/home directory to a 20GB tape:

        /sbin/dump 0Buf 20480000 /dev/nst0 /home

This is a little bogus if you are dumping more than one thing to the
tape since

a) you should ideally be telling dump how much capacity is still
available on the tape, and
b) with compression, you don't really even know for sure how much
capacity is left.

If you are doing attended backups and if your drive can recognize
end-of-tape I believe dump is supposed to prompt for another tape when
needed but I haven't tested this yet. I run my backups unattended from
cron, appending multiple dumps to a tape. So far, I have always changed
tapes before they fill up.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:14:34 -0400

Drakmere wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  Brian Hartman
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> did bestow the following nugget of wisdom:
> >Shashank wrote:
> >
> >> Hey chief- it usually doesn't matter if you have someone to blame or no. If
> >> it aint workin, it aint workin.

> >If you have someone else to go to, at least you can get the insight of someone
> >who knows the problem.  In most cases, there's no way to contact the writer of
> >a freeware program.  (Happily, there are exceptions to this rule, such as
> >ppa2pbm, which is supported quite nicely via email).
> >

> First, Microsoft is "Unsupported software" since Bill Gates only releases
> patches when there is a panic.  Secondly, I've only found I piece of software
> with no support what so ever. (NewsXpress)  Usually, if you take the time to
> read the readme and still have a question, the programmer is happy to respond.

That's if you can find the programmer's e-mail, etc.  Many of the programs I've seen
don't provide this info.  Secondly, I think it's
important to make a distinction between MS software and Windows software.  For
example, Corel WP (the Widnows version) is not an MS product,
but it's Windows software, and the support is there.  And the same goes for most
Windows software.  The big difference is this:  You're at
the mercy of the programmer of freeware whether or not they want to do you a favor
(which it is, really, since you're paying for neither the
support or the program itself).  When you buy a commercial product, the company has
its name and its revenue on the line.  One of the
reasons I don't buy MS applications is that the support rots.  Windows, as an OS,
though, is so widely supported by professional computer
magazines, etc., that it almost doesn't matter if you don't get support frm the
company itself.  The only places you can find support for
Linux are either through the company itself, Usenet, or the IRC chat channels.  Going
to the company itself depends upon you buying the CD
(in which case it's no longer freeware), and IRC and Usenet really have nothing behind
them to tell you you're getting legitimate
information.  (That's not to say these sources are unhelpful.  I've gotten many good
answers from both Usenet and IRC.  It's just that
there's no way to know the legitimacy of the information until you try it.)

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:03:04 -0400

JLKirkham wrote:

> >I'd venture to say that the error messages you get in Windows are a lot less
> cryptic than those that Linux spits out.
>
> Well, I can't compare, as I haven't had an error message in Linux (yet) that I
> didn't understand  ("no such file or directory" is pretty self-explanatory).
> But with Win95/98 - fatal exception errors, BSOD, registry problem - explain
> those to a newbie.  They don't sound any better than "mysteriously murdered" in
> my book, and at least Linux told you what was murdered.
>
> >Linux has a learning curve that just isn't worth it for most users
>
> Perhaps that is true, but then most users would know that going in.  BTW, DOS
> had a learning curve too, remember?  And even win95/98 has a learning curve for
> the complete beginners (thus the installation manual explaining how to click a
> mouse for people like my mom).  At least people who are easily frustrated with
> Linux didn't have to drop a paycheck to buy it.
>
> >the hardware conflicts because of Linux's present lack of compatibility make
> matters worse.
>
> I'll agree that I was disappointed to find out that my Rockwell HCF wasn't
> going to work, I had no idea it was a winmodem (that's not Linux's fault, it
> should have been in the modem docs).  But the scanner I bought - as I said, it
> never occurred to me to check compatibility, so that's my fault.  But I can
> still use it with my other stuff, and I got a really great deal - if either
> were not true, at least I kept the box so I could return it.

The hardware problem is at least (in most cases) surmountable.  But it still
doesn't mean that Linux is a good system for a beginner to upgrade to (or even
start out with).  When Linux upgrades its driver compatibility (and builds in more
drivers so that things work out of the box) then it will be a good hardware
platform.  As it is, too much of the hardware driver problems are self-service
issues for it to be worth it for newbies.

> >But you also shouldn't need a Masters to operate your computer. :)
>
> Well, I don't have a Masters, never took even one computer class (not even in
> high school), and I get by okay.  And I figure out who to ask if I get stuck.

Yes, but as you mentioned before, you invested a lot of time into it.  Maybe it's
a good thing to invest that kind of time into your computer (if you're able to).
I certainly invest that kind of time.   But for someone who has no interest in
computers as a hobby, it's much more important to just fire up the PC, get what
you need to do done, and get out.  In many cases, that's easier to do with Windows
than Linux.

> >The problem is most people have neither the time nor the patience to wrestle
> with their system
>
> Most people don't have the patience for many things, a major American problem
> in my books.  Our society is way too "instant gratification" oriented, if you
> ask me (which you didn't, so I'll shut up).  But as far as time - well, people
> make time for what they want/need/feel is important to them.  Or pay someone
> else to do it.

Instant gratification is the entire point, IMHO.  If it wasn't, why not just sit
there with a calculator and a sheet of paper rather than a spreadsheet program?
As I've said before, computers are tools to make our lives easier.  My basic point
is this:  Why invest the time to learn Linux when for the most part, it's much
easier to fire up Windows and do what you need to do without worrying about what's
underneath?

> >And when you put all that work into Linux, then what?  You've still got to
> turn to Windows to do your work.
>
> Well, hopefully we are contributing to the end of that monopoly.  At this point
> I have to use what supports my software, and that's M$.  But one of the biggest
> attractions about Linux is stability.  And given that I depend on my system for
> my livelihood...

I don't think it's a monopoly in a conventional sense.  No one is forced at
gunpoint to use Windows, and it's certainly not the only OS out there.  The
problem has always been M$'s per-processor licensing. Computer manufacturer's
don't *have* to put Windows on their machines, but it's cheaper to do so, and the
software is out there for users.

> I think you will be seeing an exponential increase in hardware and software
> support, driven mostly by people like you who have driver issues and me who
> have software needs.

I certainly hope you're right.  I would like to see Linux succeed in becoming a
better OS for new users.  My only disagreement is I don't believe it's there yet.

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dtc3181 scsi driver for scanner
Date: 5 Jul 1999 16:44:05 GMT

"Jason Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I've just purchased a acer scanner m/n 310s. It uses a DTC3181 scsi
>controller set at 0x2c0. Anyone out there know of a suitable driver . I've
>tryed to hack the kernel dtc driver code with out any luck.
>Thanks
>Jason .

 i am not so sure you needed it at all. take a look at the g_NRC5380 driver
that comes with the latest kernel (2.2.x). it supports DTC3181. i used it
in my DELL OPTIPLEX and found the system freezes at random point. but i am
not sure its the driver. The scanner (umax astra 1220) works with my adaptec
controler fine.

        walter

--
=====