From: Jason Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 aurora 64V+ problem
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:31:16 +0800

==============761BC3F6B4B23E7E07245B4B

hi, everyone:
    I have a Compaq ARMADA 7770 Ladtop, which comes with s3 aurora 64V+
video card. It can display at least 800by640 in windows, but when I
install the linux, the linux just regard it as 8 pixel color and size of
640by480. What it happens? Is it bug or I can find some patch for that?

Jason

==============761BC3F6B4B23E7E07245B4B

begin:vcard
n:Zhang;Zhiheng
tel;cell:137 160 2790
tel;fax:86 021 62375118
tel;work:86 021 62375200 52001
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.itc.ericsson.se
org:Ericsson Business Consulting (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.;Business Support
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Web Application Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;15 Floor Aetna Building=0D=0ANo. 107 Zun Yi
Road;Shanghai;Shanghai;200051;China
fn:Jason Zhang
end:vcard

==============761BC3F6B4B23E7E07245B4B==

------------------------------

From: "José Pablo Fernández Quintana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fw: bttv tv tuner
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:17:49 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Hello, I saw you posted some info on how you got tv to work under
>linux.

No, I don't have tv to work, I only have solve a problem with /dev/bttv.
I run xawtv with out problems but see nothing, I can't sintonize any tv
program.

>DGA:  version mismatch -- disabled
>The app-defaults file is not correctly installed.
>I have been on the net for weeks trying to get this to work with no
>avail.  I have RedHat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.5-15.  If you have any help,
>please let me know

I use the same RedHat 6.0, no problem with DGA. Perhaps you have installed a
new or old version of XFree86 whitch have no DGA suport.

==============================
José Pablo Fernández Quintana
Servicio de informática
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 91-6249821
===============================

------------------------------

From: shermans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help: linux quake2 voodoo3 2000
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:15:08 GMT

i recently purchased a new motherboard, and cpu. this
new mb has an agp port so i bought a voodoo3 2000.
is there anyone who can direct me to a good place to
find a howto, or if anyone has it working, might help.
i run debian 2.0

------------------------------

From: "Benzene Ring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: SCSI MO mounting problem
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:58:29 +0800

I have a SCSI MO with lowest ID setting (it is detected as /dev/sda) I
cannot mount it using the following command:
mount /dev/sda /mnt/mo
where /mnt/mo is created my me
What is the problem? How can I mount it?

Register and get paid when you are online!!
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BVS313
Fill in a form and get paid! Easy job at
http://www.targetshop.com/users/level1.asp?refId=219126

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: Q: Acer Altos 11000 with Linux SMP
Date: 6 Jul 1999 09:22:47 GMT

Hi,

I´am in need for a faster Server (DB/WWW) which should be able to
do SMP. Since we just have an Acer Altos 19000 and support is fine, I
thought of an Acer Altos 11000. My question is, is anybody running such
a box - I know the smaller 1100 is certified now for RedHat, however the
11000 uses another chipset (82440 GX instead of the 82440 BX of the 1100)
and has an different on-board GC (ATI 264 VT).
I also like to use a Mylex Raid DAC960PG/PJ in that box.

Any suggestions ?

CU

Michael

------------------------------

From: "Benzene Ring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Lexmark printer with RH 5.2
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:01:36 +0800

I cannot find Lexmark 5770 modle in RH 5.2, what other printer type I can
chose in order to use it?

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: APM: Halt crashes when trying to poweroff.
Date: 04 Jul 1999 20:12:41 -0700

what kind of BIOS do you have?  It may be buggy, check
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/apm.c and see if it mentions anything.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: "Andreas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: DMX 3181 LE - SCSI-treiber - existiert einer?
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:14:47 +0200

Sagt mal, kennt jemand die SCSI-Karte "DMX3181LE"  (ISA) , welche im
Mustek12000SP mitgeliefert wurde ???

Diese würde ich gerne in meinem Linux 2.2.3'er S.U.S.E - System integrieren.
Z.B. als Modul. Hab allerdings nur einen dtc3180-Treiber als Modul gefunden.

Kann mir da jemand helfen  ?

------------------------------

Subject: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (__Fred Simmler)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 10:04:53 GMT

I am running Redhat 6.0 on a PC and need to buy a 56K Flex/V90 modem.  I am
trying to get away from ISA slot modems because the newer motherboards
are almost eliminating them.  I would like to stay with an internal modem
but I am not sure if there are any PCI slot modems that are not
"software modems".  Are there any PCI modems that are compatable with
Linux?  Am I locked into going to an external modem?  What is a good
value?

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which NIC in Fujitsu ErgoPro C4/33?
Date: 05 Jul 1999 09:33:41 -0700

This is a laptop?  Try http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/ .
Also, Fujitsu has a small amount of info at their site.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't get Internal Modem working
Date: 04 Jul 1999 20:18:28 -0700

Does 'DOS support' mean it's not a winmodem?  What does 'setserial -g
/dev/cua?' report?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warwick Ward-Cox)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI Problem
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:58:29 GMT

Problem solverd upgraded to 2.2.10 kernel and scsi working very well.

Warwick Ward-Cox

------------------------------

From: Alessio Checcucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD K6-2 and Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:07:27 +0200

Please anyone may help me?

I bought a new machine 2 months ago:

                    AMD K6-2 350
                    Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
                    128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
                    Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
                    ASUS 40X CD-ROM
                    IBM DTTA-351010 HDD
                    Soundblaster PCI64V Sound card
                    Adaptec 2904 SCSI controller

At the beginning i installed Suse 5.1 and the Slackware 3.6. And i get
the first problem. During the installation the system hung randomly and
i wasn't able to end the installation successfully.

I tried to put my processor and memory in an identical system, and it
seems to work, so i supposed my motherboard was defective (maybe the
VIA chipset). Then i tried lowering the FSB clock to 95Mhz (using the
processor at 333Mhz) and the system worked perfectly.

Now i get a new PA-2013 board, but the problem persists. I am not able
to install Slackware 4.0 or Redhat 6.0. The installation process hangs,
the CDROM stop running and the only way to continue is an hardware
reset.
The strange thing is that the whole system works under windows'98.

What can i try???

Thanks for help me--

_______________________________________
=======================================
Alessio Checcucci
Osservatorio astrofisico di Arcetri
L.go E. Fermi, 5
50125 Firenze (Italy)
Tel. +39-055-2752(206) or (299)
Fax  +39-055-2752(292)
_______________________________________
=======================================

------------------------------

From: Yuri van Oers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Prob. w/ SBLive
Date: 6 Jul 1999 10:03:12 GMT

Hi

I've got an SBLive, downloaded v0.2 drivers from creative.
Tried to install them, but when I do 'insmod sblive' I get this kind of
messages:
Unresolved external symbol: register_dsp
(or something like that)
I probably didn't enable something somewhere, but I dunno what/where.
Can anyone help?
(SuSE Linux 6.1, kernel 2.2.5)

Please reply by mail (as well).

Thanks
Yuri van Oers

------------------------------

From: "Jose A. Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.answer,comp.os.linux.misc,dc.org.linux-users,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.install,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.sound
Subject: Newbie problems!
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 10:27:40 GMT

Hi, I'm a newbie and had few questions/problems.

1.    I created a regular account so that I didn't had to log in as
root. The problem is that when I try to use the dial up (kpp) it gives
me this error. "pppd not properly installed. The ppd binary must be
installed witht he SUID bit set. Contact your system administrator" It
works fine under root, but not this regular user. I it as part of the
"root" group.
2.    My sound card doesn't work. I have an IBM Thinkpad 310ED laptop
with an OPL-3 SAx sound card, I tried all of the settings with no joy.
Can anyone help me out here please. You can send me responses to
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" Thanks in advance for all of your help.

J.

Linux rules, windoze blows!

------------------------------

From: Chad Scherrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Running X on an LCD
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 10:30:51 GMT

Valentin,
Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid I still don't understand. If there are
no traditional scan frequencies, where do you get the numbers for
Section "Monitor"?
The Dell Inspiron 7000 has the same video card, the same size (15")
screen, and the same resolution (1024x768), but the XF86Config file people
are using for the Dell still doesn't work. What variables could I possibly
change? Could the issue be that the two laptops have different BIOSes or
something?

-Chad
PS - No luck yet on the Linux Laptop page.