Linux-Hardware Digest #682, Volume #10            Tue, 6 Jul 99 12:13:36 EDT

Contents:
  Re: DMX 3181 LE - SCSI-treiber - existiert einer? (Christoph Lorenz)
  Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller ("David Massot")
  Re: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: best sound card (Thorsten Ohl)
  Re: Add 2nd vfat IDE to linux box (Tom Elsesser)
  Problem with SB PCI 128 (Jam)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
  Re: Running X on an LCD ("Hans D. Mittelmann")
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (L.Angel)
  Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux (Bryan)
  Re: intel  L440GX+  mb/ PCI66/ UWSCSI/ thernet/video (Greg Bartels)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (kls)
  ZIP drive and printer at the same time ? (Jam)
  Need help with modem setup! (Francisco J. Diaz)
  Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux (Joceli Mayer)
  Re: Lexmark printer with RH 5.2 (Michael Wellman)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (chrisv)
  pci modem and sb123 (Oehlke)
  Mac HDs in PC; RH 6.0 Install Fails (Wayne R. Husted)

Subject: Re: DMX 3181 LE - SCSI-treiber - existiert einer?
From: Christoph Lorenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Jul 1999 12:43:00 +0200
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware

"Andreas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sagt mal, kennt jemand die SCSI-Karte "DMX3181LE"  (ISA) , welche im
> Mustek12000SP mitgeliefert wurde ???
>
> Diese würde ich gerne in meinem Linux 2.2.3'er S.U.S.E - System integrieren.
> Z.B. als Modul. Hab allerdings nur einen dtc3180-Treiber als Modul gefunden.
>
> Kann mir da jemand helfen  ?

Irgendwann so März oder April rum wurde eine Anleitung gepostet, wie man
diese Mistkarte zum Laufen bringt. Die Anleitung selber ist narrensicher :)

Ciao
  Christoph

P.S.: DTC3180 ist 'ne komplett andere Karte - die 3181E ist eine Abart eines
NCR5380ers
--
                  ** http://ChLorenz.home.pages.de/ **
 ** No Spam ! ** No Adverts ! ** No Junk-Mails ! ** No unwanted Mails ! **

------------------------------

From: "David Massot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:25:56 +0100

I have an intermittent problem with my Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller.

Occasionally I get the message

  AIC7XXX Done-Aborted-SCBS Aborting scbi tcl=0/0/0

The message will appear several times then stop.

I'm running Redhat Linux 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30.  I have heard that the 2940 is
not fully supported because of all the Adaptec BIOS changes.

Where can I get the latest driver from?  Is there any other way around the
problem without updating the driver.

Any help much appreciated.

David Massot

Subject: Re: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Jul 1999 07:20:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (__Fred Simmler) writes:

> I am running Redhat 6.0 on a PC and need to buy a 56K Flex/V90
> modem.  I am trying to get away from ISA slot modems because the
> newer motherboards are almost eliminating them.  I would like to
> stay with an internal modem but I am not sure if there are any PCI
> slot modems that are not "software modems".  Are there any PCI
> modems that are compatable with Linux?

the short answer is no.

however, there are rumors that such exist.  redhat's own site
indicates that lucent venus modems should work.  they specifically
mention the actiontec pm-6500-lki.

<URL:http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld-15.html>

this is the *only* evidence of a pci modem functioning in linux that i
have come across.  i've never otherwise heard of a pci modem working
in linux.  if someone has actual experience with their pci modem modem
working in linux, please post.

> Am I locked into going to an
> external modem?  What is a good value?

wrt to external, i do not know what you are afraid of.  anything that
does hayes `at' commands over a rs-232c port is fine.

pros:

*) those flashing leds tell you the modems state at a glace and at all times
*) you can reset, power cycle and/or replace the modem independently
   of the main computer
*) more electrical insulation between your computer and the phone
   lines
*) works with *anything* having an rs-232c port.  your linux box, a
   macintosh, a sparc from sun, dumb terminals &c.
*) no PnP
*) no jumpers
*) no weird irqs
*) no opening your box
*) no lobotomized hardware (i.e., winmodems)

cons:

*) costs about US$30 more ($20 on modem, $10 for a cabel)
*) uses a precious serial port (of which there are too few)
*) often needs a seperate power line and contributes to the rat's nest
   of cables in back of the computer.

i am not trying to bash internal modems here.  they do work.  however,
internal is not the only possibility for a modem.  there *is* such a
thing as an external modem.  the modem buyer should be aware of the
existance, viability, advantages and disadvantages of external modems.

for more arguments, do a deja news search on modem configuration in
linux.  how many people have problems with internal modems?  how many
have problems with external modems?  in my time perusing the linux
groups i have *never* seen anyone have a configuration problem with an
external modem.  sure they might be more rare, sure they might be
bought by people with more expertise, but the total lack of problems
with external modem configuration has to count for something.

yes, people have gotten internals to work just fine -- but why take
chances?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@*RemoveTheStars*hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject: Re: best sound card
Date: 06 Jul 1999 13:36:57 +0200

Thanks!
--
Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TU Darmstadt -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://heplix.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/~ohl/ [<=== PGP public key here]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Elsesser)
Subject: Re: Add 2nd vfat IDE to linux box
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:30:57 GMT

 The 1st drive that has lilo on it also has win98 on it. I can't load
windows with both drives connected, as it is booted from lilo as well.
The bios recognizes both drives the way I have them jumpered.
  Thanks for your help. I am going to keep scouring docs until I get
it, or until all the skin is scraped from my knuckles from juggling
jumpers and IDE cables :-)

Tom

On Stardate 6 Jul 1999 00:38:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
wrote:

|->>
|->I can't think of how the SCSI would cause problems. But I'm not very
|->SCSI literate. I loaded the source to LILO onto my HD so that I could look
|->at it (not that I'm a real guru at that). There was an interesting paragraph
|->in the README file. It is below:
|->
|->LI The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
|->   loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
|->   geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
|->   installer.
|->
|->Just looking at that doesn't seem to explain why it would boot when
|->you have only 1 HD, but not when you connected the second HD. Do you have
|->Windows? If so, are you able to boot into Windows when the second HD is
|->installed? When I start asking about Windows, you know that I'm stumped!
|->
|->Hopefully somebody out there will have some better suggestions.
|->
|->John

------------------------------

From: Jam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with SB PCI 128
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:03:29 GMT

I have installed Mandrake 6.0 and configured my sound card with
sndconfig utility. It detects my soundcard, but when I try to use
X11amp or any other sound player, the program hangs and I have to kill
the proces. Whats wrong ?

Christoffer

--
=================================
The Ultimate MP3

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 6 Jul 1999 13:14:23 GMT

Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In <7lqjgc$btc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee
:Ganzhorn) writes:
: >Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >: its time, while the CPU is idle.  Spreadsheets and compiling won't be
: >: taking advantage of duals since most of them aren't designed for it, but
: >
: >gmake.. you will see huge gains in compiling with multiple processors.
:
: When you're doing multiple compiles at the same time, possibly.
:

You are wrong. Have you ever compiled the linux kernel? Actually have you ever
compiled any code of significant size? If you had you would realize that
the first step is to complile all of the dependencies for the main object
file. Then comes the linking phase. The compilation phase takes >90% of the
time if the project is of decent size. And compiling of the dependancies is
for the most part independent of each other. So gmake just does load balancing
to determine which processor gets send the next module. In practice you see
close to 80% speed up for two processors.

: >Compiling of modules is completely independent and parallel processing is the
: >way to g.
:
: Unless the compiling itself is multithreaded, you won't see it.  As a
: matter of fact, compiling may tend to benefit more on a system with
: large caches, and the K6-III is about 2x of a Celeron.

You are right about cache being a good thing for compiling, however you need
to go do a little more research about the nature of compiling. I do this for
a living, and you see huge benifits from a distributed environment. You don't
need the compiler to be multithreaded, sence the jobs are independant you just
spawn more processes.

--
Salem Lee Ganzhorn... [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 6 Jul 1999 13:15:57 GMT

kls ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: There are threads & there are PROCESSES.  & you delared I have a poor
: understanding of multiprocessing:)  hehe.
:

I found that funny too.
hehe :)

From: "Hans D. Mittelmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Running X on an LCD
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 06:29:59 -0700

Chad Scherrer wrote:

> I've been trying to get X to run on my Gateway Solo 9150. I have an ATI
> Rage LT Pro video card and a 15" screen. The video works fine when I
> connect it to an external monitor, but I can't get it to work with the
> built-in LCD. All I see is garbage. I called Gateway to find out the scan
> frequencies, and the guy I talked to said that question doesn't really
> make sense for LCD's because the screen is continually updated. Is that
> true? I don't know what else I can adjust to get it working. I'd really
> appreciate any help - for now I'm stuck using text mode (or Windoze).
> Thanks.

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com
you may have a look at
            ftp://plato.la.asu.edu/pub/FB_VESA.txt

--
Hans D. Mittelmann                      http://plato.la.asu.edu/
Arizona State University                Phone: (602) 965-6595

------------------------------

From: a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com (L.Angel)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:53:47 GMT

>Do you ever see the possibility that your small benchmark might actually
>all fit within the PII's cache (and is thus much faster)?
  Actually yes, the whole thing was made to fit into the cache of both
processor :P So it measures the max potential of the processors.
However, we both know that maximum potential throughput doesn't
translate linearly into real life.
  My point is that, yesh theoretically, his stated ratio numbers are
correct. But in real life apps, it's entirely different as most apps
will use plenty of integer processing.

The little lost angel & her featherhead's 2 cents of dreaminess. :)
Email : Figure out what to remove, I'm getting tired of spam

------------------------------

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:35:37 GMT

Alessio Checcucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Please anyone may help me?

: I bought a new machine 2 months ago:

:                     AMD K6-2 350
:                     Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
:                     128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
:                     Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
:                     ASUS 40X CD-ROM
:                     IBM DTTA-351010 HDD
:                     Soundblaster PCI64V Sound card
:                     Adaptec 2904 SCSI controller

: At the beginning i installed Suse 5.1 and the Slackware 3.6. And i get
: the first problem. During the installation the system hung randomly and
: i wasn't able to end the installation successfully.

did you try removing parts until it DID work?  maybe the sound card.
maybe swap card ordering.  but I'd suspect the sound card first.

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Greg Bartels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: intel  L440GX+  mb/ PCI66/ UWSCSI/ thernet/video
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:40:06 -0400

Mike Simos wrote:

> Greg Bartels wrote:
>
> > anyone using the Intel  L440GX+ motherboard?
> > anyone using it with Linux?
> >

> I am using RedHat 6.0 with this motherboard at work.
snip...
> I like this motherboard and it is quite fast, but
> I would probably go with another motherboard if you primarily
> want to use it as a desktop computer.

is that because there's no AGP slot?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:24:48 GMT

In article <7lt1pi$9uf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com
says...

>>Do you ever see the possibility that your small benchmark might actually
>>all fit within the PII's cache (and is thus much faster)?
>  Actually yes, the whole thing was made to fit into the cache of both
>processor :P So it measures the max potential of the processors.
>However, we both know that maximum potential throughput doesn't
>translate linearly into real life.
>  My point is that, yesh theoretically, his stated ratio numbers are
>correct. But in real life apps, it's entirely different as most apps
>will use plenty of integer processing.

I derived the ratio's simply by calcing them whenever I would come across a
benchmark/framerate/.. & uncanningly those ratio's hold more often than not.
we're talking fpu here, not 3dnow.  best case 3dnow is quake which get's
k6's roughly equal to p2 mhz/mhz.  It's downhill from there.

------------------------------

From: Jam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZIP drive and printer at the same time ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:01:21 GMT

 Can I use a printer and a parallel zip drive at the same time or do I
have to change the drivers all the time ?

Thanks
Christoffer
--
=================================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Francisco J. Diaz)
Subject: Need help with modem setup!
Date: 5 Jul 1999 16:54:36 GMT

Hello everyone! I just installed Linux-Mandrake 6.0 and I have a SupraExpress 56i sp
internal modem configured as Com port 2 IRQ 3 (no pnp setting, jumper-configured, I
disabled COM2 in my bios setup) but it doesn't show under linux at all. I read the
how-to's but can't configure it! Can anyone help me step by step on how to make this
modem run under Linux? Thanks very much!
--
|       Francisco J. Diaz Rivera        |    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
|  Running Windows 95 & OS/2 Warp 4.0!  |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |

------------------------------

From: Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 07:52:57 -0700

Bryan wrote:

> Alessio Checcucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Please anyone may help me?
>
> : I bought a new machine 2 months ago:
>
> :                     AMD K6-2 350
> :                     Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
> :                     128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
> :                     Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
> :                     ASUS 40X CD-ROM
> :                     IBM DTTA-351010 HDD
> :                     Soundblaster PCI64V Sound card
> :                     Adaptec 2904 SCSI controller
>
> : At the beginning i installed Suse 5.1 and the Slackware 3.6. And i get
> : the first problem. During the installation the system hung randomly and
> : i wasn't able to end the installation successfully.
>
> did you try removing parts until it DID work?  maybe the sound card.
> maybe swap card ordering.  but I'd suspect the sound card first.
>
> --
> Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
> ->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

My guess: it seems that your memory isn't working at full speed 100Mhz

From: Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Lexmark printer with RH 5.2
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 16:25:49 GMT

Search the net.  I know that there is a driver for the 5700.  I=20
believe it's a ghostscript driver.  But you're going to have to search=20
the net for the driver because the 5700 is a Winprinter and Lexmark=20
does not release the specks for it.  So the driver is not supported.

On 7/6/99, 1:01:36 AM, "Benzene Ring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding Lexmark printer with RH 5.2:

> I cannot find Lexmark 5770 modle in RH 5.2, what other printer type I =

can

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:10:38 GMT

On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 12:35:31 -0400, Jeffrey Karp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>It sounds like a K6-3 450 system would be your best choice. Many of
>these are quite affordable. If you can stretch your budget, and wait a
>month or so, the AMD Athlon(K7) is awesome.

Get a job.  The K7 MIGHT be "awesome", but it will be much longer than
"a month or so" before it will be practical to buy one.

I mean, you want to be first in line for one of these contraptions?
Clearly, there will be bugs to work out on the motherboard at
least....

------------------------------

From: Oehlke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pci modem and sb123
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:11:04 -0300

hey all, i am running redhat 6 and i cant get my sb128 pci sound card nor
my inrernal pci 56k modem to work... anyone know is this has ever been
accomplished before?

anyone got links for drivers and what not?

the modem is a gvc data fax and seems to conform to the standard(ie most
likely any driver for pci modem will work) as long as it isnt proprietary
(like most 3com drivers/us ropbotics)

AO

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wayne R. Husted)
Crossposted-To: iu.linux,redhat.general
Subject: Mac HDs in PC; RH 6.0 Install Fails
Date: 6 Jul 1999 13:35:36 GMT

Folks:

I've got two Quantum Fireball ST hard drives that were in
PowerMacs. I attempted to install them in a RedHat Linux
6.0 box with an Adaptec 1542 SCSI card. The drives would
partition OK but when the install went to format them, I
got the errors:

Unable to abort command for target 0
Trying device reset for target 0
Sent BUS RESET to scsi host 0

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall that SCSI HD-s
in Apple machines are (low-level) formatted differently.
Is this the case? Do these drives need to be low-level
formatted again or is it a basic incompatibility with
the Adaptec card and the drives?

Thanks for any info!

 Dr. Wayne R. Husted                    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Social Sciences Computer Classroom     Phone: 317-278-1688
 IUPUI
 "Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a
 fool is no wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two
 thousand five hundred."
                -- The Mahabharata.