Linux-Hardware Digest #684, Volume #10            Tue, 6 Jul 99 16:13:26 EDT

Contents:
  Laser Printer - recommend please (Yotam Medini)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (kls)
  S3 Savage4 and RedHat6 (Carlos Rodrigues)
  Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0 (Rob Clancy)
  Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (kls)
  Re: Redhat & AWE 32 PnP (Claudio Mettler)
  Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question... ("Tony Platt")
  Re: How powerful a system do you need to run Linux as a server? (alpine)
  Any Drivers for Iomega Parellel Port Travan Drives? (JuanValdez)
  Re: WebCam (Matthias Wientapper)
  Which flavor? ("Crompe")
  Re: Running 2 modems ("Tony Platt")
  Re: Can't write to IDE zip drive (John Blinka)
  Re: Which flavor? (dann)
  Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux (Bruno Femenia Castella)
  Re: problem running xserver with a SiS6326 AGP display card on RHL6.0 ("Gene
Heskett")
  Re: HELP formatting a ZIP disk (Wendell Craig)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Jay Patrick Howard)
  Re: ZIP drive and printer at the same time ? (Chris Aiken)
  RH6 upgrade and 8mm tape (David M. Lukens)
  Re: notebook 486slc (Alex Yung)
  Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question... (highend)
  Re: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX (Eric Santonacci)

From: Yotam Medini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Laser Printer - recommend please
Date: 22 Jun 1999 18:33:28 -0700

Any recommendation for a Laser printer -
  * 600 DPI
  * GhostScript friendly
  * Low cost - considering memory requirements.
  * Works with Linux (of course!)

thanks -- yotam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:18:21 GMT

In article <7ls4np$pp3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

writes:

>>>Where are your benchmark results by the way?
>>
>>not MY benchmark results.  Where are YOURS?  Couldn't find any eh?
That
>>poor look up ability of yours I suppose...
>
>You are the one claiming a Dual Celeron setup (using 333s) can be
faster
>than a K6-III 450 on LInux.   The Burden of Proof is on you.
>
>But you have not shown anything to back your claims.
>
>Have you seen http://www.cpureview.com?
>
>Article shows a K6-III 400 is faster than a Cel @ 450 in compiling.

>From http://www.cpureview.com/art_kernel_discuss_c.html,
k63-400 vs single c400(4x66) k63 23.5% faster(though
he gives different results in seperate reviews?).

Remember 23.5%,

http://perso.easynet.fr/~hugues.michel/gcc_time.html(use babefish)

The times are not comparable(different build,..) but the % speed
difference between single & smp is viable.

Here's freebsd(pretty graphs even:),
http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html

>>>You have not yet answered my other question on your ratios of K6 vs.
PII
>>>FPUs.
>>
>>benchmarks, hardware & programming sites.  That & I own a dog of a
cpu(k6-2

>I have not see any benchmark or website that suggests a .55 ratio for
>the P2 FPU vs. K6.   You made this up.  Back it up.
>
>On the contrary, there is plenty that suggests otherwise.  Read the
>K6-III review of http://www.combatsim.com.  According to them, a
K6-III
>450 is barely equivalent to a PII 400 on non 3DNow games.
>

>>300. old core: .55 p2 fpu).  On a personal note, if the performance
were so
>>ubar compared to p2's, as you keep on insisting, my frame rate
wouldn't drop
>>to 16-9fps in warbirds when things get even slightly heavy.  I must
be
>>dreaming eh?
>
>I can get an Celeron overclocked to 500 to drop down to 16-9 FPS on
>Jane's WWII Fighters when things get heavy.  Does not mean anything.

It does when a p2-300 in place of a k6-2 300 in the same situation is
29-16fps instead.

------------------------------

From: Carlos Rodrigues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: S3 Savage4 and RedHat6
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:55:45 +0100

Hi.
I'm thinking of buying a Savage4 based graphics card and I would like to
know if someone tried it with RedHat6. Any comments would be
appreciated.

P.S.: I will be unable to check the newsgroups for replies for some
time, so if you could reply this by mail also, it would be nice.

------------------------------

From: Rob Clancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:26:18 -0400

Can anyone provide me with either the location of the driver or the
methods for using an existing driver to use the HP 722C DeskJet Printer
in redhat 6.0?  I've tried all the 500 and 600 series drivers that come
with the operating system and haven't had any luck yet.  Thanks in
advance.

Rob
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question...
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:33:59 GMT

In article <7lmaat$gs3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
There are a couple of factors to consider when using RAID.

1. How much fault tolerance do you want.
2. What type of performance are you looking for.

A RAID 5 setup is tolerant to a point of a single failure.  Even if you
have a global hot-spare to auto rebuild, you still run the chance of
losing your data "if" you have a second drive failure during a rebuild.
RAID 5 performance is good with reads. Write performance varies
depending on the amount of write-back cache installed on the controller.

A RAID 10 (striped pairs) is tolerant of multiple drive failures. The
down side is that is requires double the drives for the required storage
capacity.
RAID 10 performance is good with reads and writes.

Since you are using a database, Ultra2 SCSI would be the way to go.
Currently, SCSI RAID controllers tend to do better with random small
block I/O than a Fibre Channel Solution.  We have both solutions.

Another way to get the best performance would be to set you RAID volumes
up where your temp files run in RAID0 (best read/write performance no
fault tolerance) and your main data as either RAID 5 or 10.

All of these solutions are "hardware-based".

Dan Folwell
Sarvannah "Fault Tolerant Solutions For Open Computing Environments"
http://www.sarvannah.com
770-928-9236  Fax 678-445-0352

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:38:32 GMT

>>Have you seen http://www.cpureview.com?
>>
>>Article shows a K6-III 400 is faster than a Cel @ 450 in compiling.
>

>From http://www.cpureview.com/art_kernel_discuss_c.html,
>k63-400 vs single c400(4x66) k63 23.5% faster(though
>he gives different results in seperate reviews?).
>
>Remember 23.5%,
>
>http://perso.easynet.fr/~hugues.michel/gcc_time.html(use babefish)
>
>The times are not comparable(different build,..) but the % speed
>difference between single & smp is viable.
>
>Here's freebsd(pretty graphs even:),
>http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html

Even better/recent! Linux compilation on two different dual systems: 1 celeron
based, the other p3 based:
http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/3q99/smp/smp-9.html

Dual celeron 71% faster than single!  Stick that in your pipe & smoke it:)

------------------------------

From: Claudio Mettler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ch.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Redhat & AWE 32 PnP
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:55:42 +0200

> I've tried a thousand things. I switched back to the old kernel and it
> worked again. What could that be ? Can anybody help me? I would be happy
> even if I only received the default .config file for the kernel, for I could
> see what options are enabled and which aren't!

Maybe you've enabled an option which needs an IRQ or DMA, the same as your SB.
Try to change the DMA/IRQ/I/O-Adress of your isapnp and in the Kernelconfig.

mfg

Claudio

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 04:14:34 +1000

I would tend to agree, move it off the machine onto a dedicated raid system

the CMD's are very nice units.

I saw one go on ebay this week for $660
it was filled with controllers + quite a bit of ram

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=124037270

Tony Platt

------------------------------

From: alpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: How powerful a system do you need to run Linux as a server?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:20:49 -0400

I'm using a 486 with 64 meg of ram as a server
and I have had up to 35 ppl on at one time with no problem as long as I
was not running the gui
running kernel 2.0.x
have yet to have one problem with it ... actually I haven't turned the
monitor on for the server in months now

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JuanValdez)
Subject: Any Drivers for Iomega Parellel Port Travan Drives?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:01:42 GMT

Anyone know of any Drivers for Iomega Parellel Port Travan Drives?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:26:17 +0200
From: Matthias Wientapper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WebCam

Torsten Blank wrote:

> ... Its a Creative WebCam.
>
> --

I just started a project for the creative webcam I (parallelport).
Take a look at http://www.on-line.de/~m.wientapper/webcam/webcam.html
There you will find a driver for v4l2, that is very alpha, but it is
working.

Give me some feedback, if this is what you where looking for.

Regards,

Matthias

------------------------------

From: "Crompe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which flavor?
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:41:06 -0700

Why would I want one version of Linux over the other (ie. Mandrake, RedHat,
Caldera, etc.)?  Is device support different between the flavors (more or
less devices supported)?

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Running 2 modems
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 04:23:09 +1000

You are looking for EQL

do a search for EQL

Tony Platt

------------------------------

From: John Blinka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't write to IDE zip drive
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:24:01 -0400

Cliff Bergman wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a brand-new pretty standard PC with and ATAPI zip drive. I have
> no trouble reading from the drive (in either ext2 or vfat format), but I
>
> get numerous write errors when I try to write to the drive.  (Sample
> errors below.)  I'm running Redhat 6.0 right out of the box.
>
> I've tried more than one disk in the drive, with the same result, and in
>
> fact, the same thing happens on a second, identical computer.  Also,
> both reading and writing work fine in Windows 98.  So I don't think
> either the disk or the drive is defective.
>
> The zip drive appears as hdd in linux.  It is on the same ide cable as
> the cdrom drive (which works fine---at least when I read from it.  I
> haven't tried to write to it. :-)  Both devices are configured (by
> jumper) to "cable select".  I tried setting the cdrom to master and the
> zip to slave.  The result: it still didn't work under linux, and it
> stopped working under Win98.  In fact, Win98 couldn't find the cdrom,
> and it thought the zip was an ordinary floppy drive.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?  Needless to say, the Dell computer
> people weren't much help.  And the RedHat people can't seem to solve it
> either.  If possible, please email me directly.  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> Thanks in advance.

I had exactly this problem with a 100 mb atapi zip
drive and solved it by hard coding the zip drive
geometry as 96/64/32 C/H/S in the bios instead of
letting the bios autodetect the drive.  End of problem.
I don't know why this works, or even if 96/64/32 is
"correct", but the drive now works fine under linux
and win95.  At boot, I always get the message:

kernel: hdd: The drive reports both 100663296 and 1006
46912 bytes as its capacity

but this doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on using
the drive.  (This message appeared before I made the BIOS
change.)

I've got my zip drive configured via jumper as a slave
to a hard disk, configured via jumper to master.  I'm
running Slackware 3.6 with a customized 2.0.36 kernel.

-- John Blinka

------------------------------

From: dann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which flavor?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:46:53 -0600

you can use the same kernel with any distribution (which includes most
standard device drivers).  the differences include package managers for
easy installation and uninstallation of software and different standards
for file locations and included software.  the linux journal had a good
article on this in june which might be online.
http://www.linuxjournal.com

http://www.nmt.edu/~dannf/

------------------------------

From: Bruno Femenia Castella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 and Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 17:18:24 +0200

Joceli Mayer wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
> > Alessio Checcucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : Please anyone may help me?
> >
> > : I bought a new machine 2 months ago:
> >
> > :                     AMD K6-2 350
> > :                     Motherboard FIC PA-2013 (2Mbyte cache)
> > :                     128 Mbyte PC100 SDRAM (8 ns)
> > :                     Video card Matrox Millenium G200 LE (8Mbyte SDRAM)
> > :                     ASUS 40X CD-ROM
> > :                     IBM DTTA-351010 HDD
> > :                     Soundblaster PCI64V Sound card
> > :                     Adaptec 2904 SCSI controller
> >
> > : At the beginning i installed Suse 5.1 and the Slackware 3.6. And i get
> > : the first problem. During the installation the system hung randomly and
> > : i wasn't able to end the installation successfully.
> >
> > did you try removing parts until it DID work?  maybe the sound card.
> > maybe swap card ordering.  but I'd suspect the sound card first.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
> > ->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.
>
> My guess: it seems that your memory isn't working at full speed 100Mhz

Dear Bryan and Joceli,

    I'm working together Alessio in order to make that computer work.  We have
already tried Bryan's suggestion without much success (our last attempt was to
perform installation by first removing both the sound and SCSI cards) .
Regarding Joceli's hint, we were already thinking of it and it fact our next
approach is to use different SDRAM modules.

We deeply appreciate your interest and suggestions, so we encourage you to
feed us with new possible solutions.

Thanks ,

        Bruno

    Bruno Femenia Castella
    Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri     Phone: +39-055.27.52.309
    L.go E. Fermi 5                         Fax  : +39-055.27.52.292
    50125 Firenze (ITALY)                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: 25 Jun 99 20:52:51 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem running xserver with a SiS6326 AGP display card on RHL6.0

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Yogesh Agarwal;

 YA> I am not able to run x server. Everything else works fine. I am
 YA> using a SiS
 YA> 6326 AGP display card with 4MB vram. While running xconfigurator,
 YA> i set display card as sis6326 and set my monitors and when it
 YA> starts the xserver, i just see a black screen with the mouse
 YA> pointer. I am able to move the pointer but i dont see the dialog
 YA> box. Please help me.

You will have to hand edit the /etc/X11XF86Config file to properly set,
and uncomment the cards available memory line, and add 3 more options to
the option list.

This is quite well discussed, and the data should fall out of a dejanews
search quite easily.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Wendell Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP formatting a ZIP disk
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:36:24 GMT

Darryl Bryant wrote:

> Wendell Craig wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I munged up a ZIP disk so badly that I figured I'd bulk erase it and
> > re-format.  Now I can't get the cussed thing to even be recognized
> > enough for a low-level format!
> >
> > Any tips?
>
> personally, considering their cost, I would turn it into a coaster and buy
> a new one, But if you want to try... do you want it in dos or linux format?
>
> I bought my zip drive to use with my Amiga, so reformated some disks to
> the  amiga file system, that works fine, later I built a pc, bought it a
> scsi card and used the zip drive on that, now I use linux after being
> pissed of having to put up with windoze.
>
> ok. I reformated one of the Amiga zip disk in windows, it worked fine - in
> windows!, the Amiga or linux could not read it, because windows formated it
> with different block size hmmm, so reformated it as a ex2fs linux disk,
> great!.
>
> I wanted it to see if I could get it back to a standard zip format disk,
> one that could be read on everything.
>
> in linux fdisk
>
> go fdisk /dev/sda or whatever your zip drive is.

BINGO!!!  That's the problem - the zipdisk has been bulk erased, leaving
no data on the surface whatsoever - no bits, no bytes - nuthin' but bare
oxide.  Therefore, no partitions to be deleted.  I even booted into W95
(first time in 6 weeks!) figuring I could dos format it then re-format
in Linux - but no go!  Win95 puked.  Tried straight 1980's style DOS6.20
- same result.

Perhaps a coaster will be its final use - but it pisses me off to have a
healthy-looking, mechanically perfect rotating random access magnetic
disk and a machine to use it in - and not be able to use it!  I paid
about eight bucks for it, too!!

Thanks for you suggestions, though.  I'll keep trying 'when I get
everything else done'. :)

--
        Wendell Craig - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

------------------------------

From: Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 6 Jul 1999 10:28:39 -0500

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips kls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: From http://www.cpureview.com/art_kernel_discuss_c.html,
: k63-400 vs single c400(4x66) k63 23.5% faster(though
: he gives different results in seperate reviews?).

Yeah, but who is going to actually run their Celeron at the prescribed
66mhz bus speed? :)  Consider a 366 overclocked to 550.  Compared to the
400, the core clock is 37.5% faster, while the bus is 50% faster.  I'm
guessing that would more than accountfor the 23.5% difference you cite.

------------------------------

From: Chris Aiken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP drive and printer at the same time ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:20:15 -0400

You might find some answers here:

http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html

...cwa

Jam wrote:

>  Can I use a printer and a parallel zip drive at the same time or do I
> have to change the drivers all the time ?
>
> Thanks
> Christoffer
> --
> ---------------------------------
> The Ultimate MP3
> http://listen.to/theultimatemp3
> ---------------------------------

Definition of Windows 95:
A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Lukens)
Subject: RH6 upgrade and 8mm tape
Date: 5 Jul 1999 16:19:32 GMT

So, I recently upgraded from RH5.2 to RH6.  At this point my
8mm exebyte drive stopped working.  I am running the 2.2.5 kernel
with the low level scsi driver and generic and st support compiled
in.  The drive is recognized as st0 upon bootup.  Whenever I try
to access the device (either with dd tar or mt) I get a message
of "/dev/st0: Device not configured."

Does anybody have ay ideas as to what I need to do to get it
to start functioning again?

David Lukens [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: notebook 486slc
Date: 6 Jul 1999 15:33:08 GMT

Ruud de Smaele ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello i have a cyrix cx486slc/50mhz, 4mb, 200mb color i wil install linux
: But i have only a floppy drive can you help me how i can do it
: no math coprocessor

With limited amount of memory, you can use Debian or Slackware as your
Linux distribution.  Both of them support floppy installation.  It is
just a matter of creating the floppies.  If you have an extra machine
available during installation, you can certainly avoid making lots of
floppies by doing ftp installation.  If you have zip drive, you can do
the entire installation with 1 boot floppy.  I just did that over the
weekend.  Math coprocessor should not be an issue when you stay with
the two mentioned distributions.  The precompiled kernel included the
software emulation of math coprocessor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (highend)
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Date: 6 Jul 1999 15:35:41 GMT

From: Eric Santonacci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *** Need modem recommendation for LINUX
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:56:28 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (__Fred Simmler) wrote:
> I am running Redhat 6.0 on a PC and need to buy a 56K Flex/V90 modem.  =
I am
> trying to get away from ISA slot modems because the newer motherboards
> are almost eliminating them.  I would like to stay with an internal mod=
em
> but I am not sure if there are any PCI slot modems that are not
> "software modems".  Are there any PCI modems that are compatable with
> Linux?  Am I locked into going to an external modem?  What is a good
> value?

see

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

regards