  Re: Terrible Video Problems ("Amir J. Katz")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:08:36 GMT

In article <7lug0e$g3o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Yes, 34%.  How does that make a couple of Cel 333s faster than a single
>K6-3 450 (which is about the equivalent of a between Cel 500 and 550 in
>application performance.)  Unless you overclock them, but then of
>course, you have a situation when Celerons are used out of their basic
>specification (overclocked and SMP).   To work these things out, you
>need considerable time, trial, experience and preparation, not something
>to recommend unless the person knows exactly what he is doing and is
>committed to it.

It's a ratio.  Whether it's c333's or c400's, the % increase from single
to dual will be the same.  Say it with me: r-a-t-i-o.

>Why should you recommend a *not supported* configuration to a buyer?
>

>>Here's freebsd(pretty graphs even:),
>>http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html

Because it shows what speed increase is possible with duals(speed
increase amount which you have been disputing).

>>PII

>>cpu(k6-2
>>>
>>>I have not see any benchmark or website that suggests a .55 ratio for
>>>the P2 FPU vs. K6.   You made this up.  Back it up.
>>>
>>>On the contrary, there is plenty that suggests otherwise.  Read the
>>>K6-III review of http://www.combatsim.com.  According to them, a
>>K6-III
>>>450 is barely equivalent to a PII 400 on non 3DNow games.

>>were so
>>wouldn't drop
>>be
>>>
>>>I can get an Celeron overclocked to 500 to drop down to 16-9 FPS on
>>>Jane's WWII Fighters when things get heavy.  Does not mean anything.
>>
>>It does when a p2-300 in place of a k6-2 300 in the same situation is
>>29-16fps instead.
>>

>Is this where you derive your .55?

One of the instances yeah.

>That does not hold true on the average.  If you want to compile as many
>benchmarks you can find, the average is higher.

On the average that's what comes up when I calculate it from the
benchmarks/fps/routine timing I've seen over time.

>When I had my K6-2 300 and PII-300 before, when I benched with a Matrox
>G200 last year, I got 3.25 on the K6-2 and 3.67 on the PII-300 on Final
>Reality. Far from a .55 difference.  A PII-450 on the old non 3DMark99
>with a Riva TNT gets about 2800s, but a K6-2 450 with the same card gets
>about 2400s without Detonator 3DNow drivers and about even with them.
>2400 vs. 2800 isn't .55 as well.  In both cases you got about 15 to 20%
>differences.

Things are better with the advent of drivers implemented with 3dnow
optimizations which I've seen fps increases from myself but when the
actual game comes to calculation intensive parts things go to pot again
(from not having 3dnow optimizations in the game itself).  A bastion of
hope comes from the k7 as it appears to me 3dnow is getting serious
consideration now because of it's unignorable rounded performance.
Bring 'em on, I'm still run'n off this k6-2 300 & could use any help I can
get.

------------------------------

From: Mike Simos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: intel  L440GX+  mb/ PCI66/ UWSCSI/ thernet/video
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 02:59:48 GMT

Greg Bartels wrote:

> is that because there's no AGP slot?

Yes and it has a few options that most people don't need in a desktop
computer.
And the price is fairly expensive compared to most traditional desktop
motherboards.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Larmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: how to setup mandrake 6 for a cable modem
Date: 6 Jul 1999 22:43:09 -0500

Jean-Michel Dault wrote:

> Always disable it on the card. It might work in PNP mode, but in my
>not-so-very-humble
> opinion, PNP sucks.
>
> The default sendmail configuration denies relaying except from your network. So it's
> pretty safe.
>
> Jean-Michek Dault

That may be, but the policy of my cable modem ISP is to do regular
portscans of subscriber's machines, and if they detect sendmail running,
then your service is disconnected.  They are *very* touchy about
sendmail.  YMMV.

Wayne Larmon
http://www.scrounge.org/

> doc wrote:
>
> > When 'disabling' PNP, are you doing it on the card or
> > thru the BIOS???
> > I am "planning" on a cable modem thru a NetGear 10/100
> > NIC (err, forget the model, but it is a modified TULIP.o)
> > and ABSOLUTELY don't want spammers to use my box...
> > So, will check out these sights...
> >
> > Thanks for the information
> > --
> > Rich "Doc" Colley - MIS Dept.
> > Huntington Library, Art Collection and Botanical Gardens
> >
> > Wayne Larmon wrote:

> > > I'm also using a cable modem with an Intel EEPro connected to it and it
> > > also works great.  Like Jean-Michel said, disable PNP and it will work.
> > >
> > > My EEPro is connected directly to the cable modem.  I'm using Mandrake
> > > 5.3 as a firewall/IP masquerader.  (Still shaking out Mandrake 6.0.)  My
> > > second nic feeds a hub and I can connect all the computers I want to it.
> > >
> > > If you are using a cable modem then you really should consider
> > > configuring a firewall for protection.  And don't run sendmail unless
> > > you *really* know how to configure it, because spammers *love* to find
> > > Linux boxes running sendmail so that they can relay their spam using
> > > *your* box.  Guess what your cable modem company's reaction will be?
> > >
> > > And they can find new Linux boxes fast, because they use auto-probing
> > > methods.  One of our local cable modem users reported that a hacker
> > > found a new Linux box of his within 6 hours after he first started it.
> > >
> > > You can use Samba to network with your Win 9x machines.
> > >
> > > I have links to networking and Samba information at
> > > http://www.scrounge.org/linux/docs.html#networking
> > >
> > > Using Linux with a cable modem:
> > > http://www.scrounge.org/linux/cablemodem.html
> > >
> > > Also, check out http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/
> > >
> > > Wayne Larmon
> > > http://www.scrounge.org/
> > > http://www.scrounge.org/linux/linuxtips.html

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuiltalt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.be.help,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.os.os2.misc
From: Tyler Riti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:41:19 -0500

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, JP Morris wrote:

>> [...] real men don't use hard or floppy disk drives :-)
>>
>> just create a huge ram drive and never switch the machine off :-)
>
>Now there's an interesting question.
>What does BeOS do if you remove the HDD while it's running?
>
>I know Win95 freezes solid, but has anyone tried this in BeOS or Linux?

I remember someone at a Be User Group telling me that the BeOS runs for
a short period of time and then hangs.

While goofing around a while back, I tried ejecting a CDROM while
playing an MP3 off of it. To my surprise, the song kept playing until
the end. Curiously, the window containing the CDROM files was still open
(the OS didn't freak out, though). I double clicked a different MP3 and
that started playing for about a minute and then started messing up. It
turned out that the BeOS has an incredible CDROM disk cache. I reported
it to Be but I didn't know whether or not to mark it as a feature or a
bug on the report form. ^_^

Oh, the Netiquette gods are going to upset when they see how many
newsgroups this thread is being crossposted to. Oh well.

--
Tyler Riti -- http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/fizzboy/
doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru no yo

------------------------------

From: "Joe Schmoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec / Phillips problems with problems with cdda2wav
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:56:01 -0700

Hi, all...

I'm sort of a linux newbie, but I hope somebody can help me with this
problem.

I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card, so I am running the aic7xxx driver under
RedHat 5.2.
I have a single device connected to it, a Phillips CDD 2600 CD-R drive.

I have been able to burn data CDs no problem.  It works like a champ (been
using the xcdroast program).

However, when I've started trying to make Audio CDs, I've run into problems.

I'm using cdda2wav (version 1.0c) to extract the data.  I've tried
extracting it into wav, cdr, and raw formats.

What I've noticed is that once cdda2wav gets about 40% of the way through an
extraction (anywhere from track 4-6 depending on the CD), it craps out.
Here is the dump from when I ran the command:

________________________

[root@yzerman stevie_ray_vaughn]# !cdd
cdda2wav -B
61168 bytes buffer memory requested, 2 buffers, 13 sectors
Read TOC CD Text failed (probably not supported).
#Cdda2wav version 1.0c-i686-pc-linux-gnu real time sched. soundcard support
AUDIOtrack pre-emphasis  copy-permitted tracktype channels
      1-11           no              no     audio    2
Table of Contents: total tracks:11, (total time 47:38.56)
  1.( 3:33.93),  2.( 5:21.96),  3.( 2:24.37),  4.( 3:40.43),  5.( 4:39.27)
  6.( 6:48.84),  7.( 4:09.87),  8.( 3:58.60),  9.( 4:00.60), 10.( 4:42.29)
 11.( 4:16.40),

Table of Contents: starting sectors
  1.(       0),  2.(   16045),  3.(   40192),  4.(   51020),  5.(   67552)
  6.(   88497),  7.(  119160),  8.(  137900),  9.(  155795), 10.(  173840)
 11.(  195012), lead-out(  214242)
CDDB discid: 0x860b280b
samplefiles size total will be 503897668 bytes. 11 audio tracks
recording 2856.56000 seconds stereo with 16 bits @ 44100.0 Hz ->'audio'...
overlap:min/max/cur, jitter, percent_done:
 0/ 0/ 0/      0   7%  track  1 successfully recorded
0/ 0/ 0/      0  18%  track  2 successfully recorded
0/ 0/ 0/      0  23%  track  3 successfully recorded
0/ 0/ 0/      0  31%  track  4 successfully recorded
0/ 0/ 0/      0  41%  track  5 successfully recorded
0/ 0/ 0/      0  42%cdda2wav: Success. ReadStandard10: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  28 00 00 01 61 2F 00 00 0D 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 01 00 01 61 31 0A 00 00 00 00 17 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x1 Recovered Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x17 Qual 0x00 (recovered data with no error correction applied)
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 90417 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.235s timeout 20s
Read CD-ROM10 failed

_______________________

So, it looks like it dies on a "scsi sendcmd".  The Red Hat homepage wasn't
encouragin, because it said that Adaptec doesn't make stuff available to the
driver writers for Linux.

Does anybody have any clues?  I'm stuck, because it also plays CD's just
fine (XFreeCD, XPlayCD).

Please respond to this group or to [EMAIL PROTECTED], if you could.
This is my wife's account (I don't have news access at work).

Joe

------------------------------

From: James Dekorse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using two LNE100TX NICs, adapter module fails?
Date: 7 Jul 1999 05:09:51 GMT

  this is probably a dumb question, but I just got a Linksys LNE100TX NIC
as a replacement for an old card that died.  I can't seem to get it to
work.

  Does any one know which drivers/modules I should be using?

specs:

        Linksys LNE100TX
        LC82c115
        C9914
        T4023702
        37BDX

32bit PCI, busmaster, 3.5W, 2.5 oz

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

jim

mnip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I've used Linksys LNE100TX NICs for ages, and now that I'm starting to use
: Linux, I'm having trouble getting my machine with two of these cards to
: start its ethN modules. The cards don't have any IRQ conflicts, they work in
: other OS', and this is a BX6r2 motherboard. The Linux distro is RH6, no
: patches yet. One NIC is a static IP on my LAN, the other is for a pure DHCP
: cablemodem (but I still plug in the static IP leased every morning with NT4,
: at least until I get these cards working under linux).

------------------------------

From: "DVS Lurker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.games.quake2
Subject: Re: Linux Quake2 Riva TNT question
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:26:29 +0400

Dammit we need a Linux TNT OpenGL driver!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salem Lee Ganzhorn)
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question...
Date: 7 Jul 1999 05:36:38 GMT

Paul Colquhoun ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 7 Jul 1999 00:44:21 GMT, Salem Lee Ganzhorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: |
: |Raid 5 is mirrored. There is enough data mirrored on the disks so if any
: |one drive goes down you can rebuild the drive completely from the remaining
: |drives. You get the speed of striping plus the fault tolerance of mirroring.
: |
: |Of course you only get 1/2 of the space the drives have to offer.
: |
: |The only downside is you have to have at least 3 drives.
:
:
: The only RAID varieties in common use are:
:
: 0  Plain striping, no redundancy.
:    + Faster reading and writing ( spread over all drives )
:    - Loose 1 drive = loose all the data.
:
: 1  Mirroring. Most redundant, but needs 2x the drive space.
:    + Faster reads ( can read from either drive )
:    + Can loose a drive and still keep going.
:    - Writes are slightly slower, data has to be written twice.
:
: 5  Needs 3+ drives. Data is striped acros the drives, but 1 drive
:    worth of data is made up of checksums of the other data. This
:    is spread out over all the drives.
:    + Faster reads, spread out over all drives,
:    + Can loose a drive and keep going ( with reduced speed )
:    - Slower writes. Need to recompute and wite the checksum as well
:
: A combination of Striping and Mirroring is sometimes called
: RAID 1+0, RAID 0+1, or RAID 10

I appologize, I was thinking of 1+0.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D.J. Birchall)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: G'bye, comp.os.linux.*
Date: 6 Jul 1999 15:18:44 GMT

Well folks, it looks like I won't be being my usual helpful self
here in comp.os.linux.* anymore - or at least not from this address.
As my boss put it in a lengthy memo to me this morning:

  When I review your time sheets I find it distressing to see you
  spending hours of time a day with "Mail and News"...

I'm also not allowed to use my Linux laptop for work any more.
So, in the interest of spending more time doing the things that he
wants me to do (i.e. generating money), I'm going to have to stop
doing the things I like to do (i.e. being helpful to Linux folks on
Usenet and thus generating goodwill for the company).  I hope
everyone won't take this the wrong way, and will continue to think
of DigitalFM as a place where helpful people work.  Maybe some
folks who'd like to do business with helpful people will even
remember us when the time comes. :)

But for now, I'm dropping off Usenet from this address, and will
be posting from my personal (home) address instead.

-Dan

--
_.-.-o-.-._ From the Linux laptop of D. Birchall, V.P. of Technology
_\-\/:\/-/_ Digital Facilities Management, 132 Kings Hwy E Suite A-1

------------------------------

From: Robert Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual PPro SMP problems
Date: 7 Jul 1999 05:55:01 GMT

Steven M. Gallo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,

: /proc/cpuinfo shows 2 CPUs found, but if I look at /proc/interrupts
: I see that the timer for CPU1 is not getting any hits:

:            CPU0       CPU1
:   0:     258691          0          XT-PIC  timer
:   1:       1916       2151    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
:   2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
:   5:          0          3    IO-APIC-edge  soundblaster
:   7:     202747       1102    IO-APIC-edge  eth0
:  12:      41546      49033    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
:  13:          1          0          XT-PIC  fpu
:  14:          5          2    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
:  17:      12293      12778   IO-APIC-level  aic7xxx
: NMI:          0
: ERR:          0

: When running 2 CPU-intensive processes, top shows that each is utilizing
: only 50% of the CPU.  When I was running RH5.2, top showed each process taking
: upwards of 95% of the CPU.

:   738 smgallo   19  19 12620  12M   140 R N     0 49.1  9.7  13:19 setiathome
:   739 smgallo   20  19 13588  13M   140 R N     0 47.7 10.5  13:25 setiathome

: Am I missing something?  How can I get the processes to utilize the 2nd CPU?

Hi,
I don't know about the problem with the timers, but the behaviour of top
changed recently on SMP machines so that 100% now means all CPUs working
at full tilt.  So, it looks like both CPUs are running above.  If you
don't believe it, try running 1 and then 2 identical processes and
timing them.  The time will be about the same if both CPUs are working,
and about twice as long if only one is.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Re: How powerful a system do you need to run Linux as a server?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 05:53:56 GMT

According to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>        Hello, I'm new to Linux.  I would like to know how powerful of a
> machine you would need to run Linux as a server?  Let's say you had a
> DSL connection, would you be able to use Linux as a webserver?
> What would be the best release for me to start with? Red Hat?

You can run a server on a 386sx/16 if you wanted to.  Linux will do it
just fine.  You can also run one on a 4-way Xeon for about 100 times
as much.  Any version of any distro will work, but you'll be happier
with something more recent.  Without knowing exactly what it is that
you want to serve, there is no way to make any hardware recomendations...

-p.

------------------------------

From: udo_hoenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Maxtor hard drives?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 21:31:47 -0800

Hi !

Some OS have/had problems with harddisks that are larger
than 8GB (e.g. Windows NT without Service Pack 4). Windows98
and Windows95 support the FAT32 - Filesystem which has no
problems with HDs of this size.

I guess that the label was designed at a time, when WinNT
Service Pack 4 was not available and Win9X was the only
Windows Version that was able to use the complete HD.

The large HDs work perfectly with the actual
Linux-Distibutions.

So don't worry about this label !

Hope this was helpful !

Cheers
Udo

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 23:09:46 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: please reccommend a PCI sound card....

I'm not sure that's what I said but given I was rather blunt, the longer
form is that Ensoniq AudioPCI is a great linux and win card.
Unfortunately someone emailed me to say sadly Ensoniq has moved totally
high/pro audio and so the only thing available is the creative version.
Good news is that the new creative version uses the good 1371 chipset.

Thanks Dominic!

--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "Amir J. Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terrible Video Problems
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 08:55:46 +0300

==============E92EE104DCCB5B17EC66A42D

If you you interested in 3dfx/linux, you should check this newsgroup:
Where Linux support for 3dfx boards is discussed.

"S. Lockwood" wrote:

> The Evert Family wrote:
>
> > I have finally got redhat 6.0 installed.  Im now trying to install my
>
> > diamond monster fusion card.  I used the files and info from
>
> > http:\\www.xfree86.com.  Now when I install the files and reboot I get
>
> > the error with a black blinking screen:
>
> > According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running but seems to have
>
> > been murdered mysteriously
>
> > This error comes up after loading everything but before starting the x
>
> > window system.
>
> > Has anyone installed a diamond monster fusion with success that can
>
> > provide instructions and or files?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> The Diamond Monster Fusion uses the Banshee chipset by 3dfx. The banshee
>
> driver is currently in beta stage, and thus is not distributed yet with
>
> the standard XFree86 distribution. You can find it at:
>
> http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

==============E92EE104DCCB5B17EC66A42D

begin:vcard
n:Katz;Amir J.
tel;fax:+972-3-645-1100
tel;work:+972-3-645-1145
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.ndsoft.com
org:BMC Software;IT Process Automation
adr:;;P.O.Box 58168;Tel-Aviv;;61581;Israel
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Unix Team Leader
note:"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time" (Steven Wright)
fn:Amir J. Katz
end:vcard

==============E92EE104DCCB5B17EC66A42D==