From: Leslie Donaldson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: H.P. Deskjet 870Cxi setup?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:20:09 -0500

Hello,
  I just got an H.P. Deskjet 870Cxi color printer and was wondering
if anyone has the magical incantation for gs to make it print in color.
currently I have the following setup

 LOCAL djet500 300x300 letter {} DeskJet500Mono 1 {}

but only get Black and White.

System redhat5.2 heavily upgraded.

Please drop me an email due to the heavy usenet traffic. thanks

Leslie Donaldson
--
/----------------------------\ Current Contractor: Onsite
|    Leslie F. Donaldson     | Current Customer  : Wntergy Nuclear
|    Computer Contractor     | Skills:
Unix/OS9/VMS/Linux/SUN-OS/C/C++/assembly
| Have Computer will travel. | WWW  :
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~donaldlf
\----------------------------/ Email: mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Goth Code V1.1: GoCS$$ TYg(T6,T9) B11Bk!^1 C6b-- P0(1,7) M+ a24 n---
b++:+
                H6'11" g m---- w+ r+++ D--~!% h+ s10 k+++ R-- Ssw
LusCA++

------------------------------

From: "Rbtech" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0 & slackware4.0
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 04:26:40 -0700

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:31:58 -0700

Erik Corry wrote:

> In comp.sys.intel Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike
>Frisch) writes:

> >>Agreed, but Linux (the kernel) does not use any of the advantages of 3DNow
> >>to my knowledge.  It does not use any of the features of the PIII either,
> >>for that matter.
>
> > Linux greatly benefits from processor with very strong integer
> > performance, and the K6 core is the ticket.  But if you do compiling as
> > well, the combination of the K6 core + 64K L1, full speed 256K L2 and
> > 512K-1MB L3, is going to better than the Celeron with 32K L1 and full
> > speed 128K L2 or the PIII's 32K L1, and half speed 512K L2.
>
> See http://www.cpureview.com/art_kernel_results.htm

I got "file not found" from this url.

Alex Lam.

--
*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: "Rbtech" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware
Subject: how to's
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 04:33:33 -0700

can anyone point me in the direction of the howto's for kernel recompiling?
I would greatly appreciate it.
thank you
richard

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:30:35 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

Oops!   my default browser is IE.    My office system is a P166MMX, so I
tried it here.   Netscape 4.01 goes to lunch and takes the rest of the day
off.  IE comes back in less than a second (this is with the 13 nested
tables).

Regards,
    Dean
--
Real World Technologies
http://www.realworldtech.com

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can we write to NTFS?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:25:39 +0200

Hi David,

in SuSE 6.1 distribution (Kernel 2.2.5) there is a trial (alpha or beta
I don't remember, sorry) driver which also can write to NTFS.

As you surely have experienced, a linux-beta driver most often works
more stable than a released and pathed windows driver ;-)

Of course, for your own health (to prevent you from a heart attack) and
loss
of data I strongly recommend to back up your NTFS partition first
(perhaps with a simple "tar cvf ...")

Regards,
Carsten

------------------------------

From: Pete Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:07:58 -0500

Jay Patrick Howard wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Must be something wrong with that site.  It merely shows a simple
> : graphic and is instantaneous on my system.  No lag whatsoever, but
> : somehow I don't think I am seeing what you want me to see.
>
> Netscape should choke trying to load these.  If you loaded 13.html
> successfully, you're probably using IE.  That, or your copy of Netscape
> has development sentience and re-coded itself using a O(n) algorithm.

Or perhaps your version of Netscape is too new.  Netscape 3.04 loads
16.html in under 10 seconds.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eth0 & slackware4.0
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:08:24 -0400

You have to uncomment the line that loads the 3c509 module in
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules, and add the correct arguments (I/O address, irq)
to it, if you need any.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Ulrick)
Subject: Re: laser-printer for linux
Date: 7 Jul 1999 21:27:24 GMT

On 07 Jul 1999 15:51:20 +0200, Felix Natter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>does anyone have hints for buying a laser-printer that
>works well with linux ?
>Right now I've got a HPDJ 660C, and I'm not happy
>with the printing quality when printing from linux (gs).

I get excellent print quality (600x600 dpi) and good print speed from
my HP Laserjet 6L.  Before upgrading the printer's memory from 1 MB to
5 MB, some complex pages were printed fuzzy, but since I added the
memory I've been very happy with the print quality.  As far as
Ghostscript is concerned, I tell it I have a Laserjet 4.  I get
excellent print quality from TeX using dvips.

One caveat: if the "L" in "6L" doesn't stand for "light-duty", it
should.  :-) The paper feed and output trays are rather small.
Besides that, the paper stands almost vertically in the paper feed, so
it could warp over time.  I remove the paper from the printer every
night, then put a dust cover over the printer.  Perhaps due to this
procedure, I've yet to experience a paper jam in the year I've used
the printer.  That's good, because I've heard that the 6L is rather
difficult to unjam.  If it ever jams I'll probably upgrade to a
higher-end printer.

>Thanks,
>Felix Natter

Dave
Dave Ulrick, Systems Programmer                 Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL, USA

------------------------------

From: Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: CPU Question
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:14:23 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am in the market for a new computer and my first priority is to get Linux
> running on it, but I need to know some things about a CPU.  I have recently
> been looking at an Intel Celeron processor, and I was wondering if Linux
> is compatible with this processor, and some of the pitfalls, if any, I may
> come across if I go with the Celeron.

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

It works. Also  check http://www.amd.com for an AMD K6-3 or K6-2, cheaper and
faster than celeron. Also there is the new K7 chip, they rule all intel chips
in a performance-price tradeoff, so far ...

------------------------------

From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAKE error when compiling FTAPE-4.02
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:15:22 -0400

Here's a quote from Bob Nielsen in fa.kernel.ftape:

"I believe Red Hat 6.0 uses a 2.2.x kernel.  There are apparently
problems running ftape-4.02 with this.  If 3.04d worked for you
previously, you might try compiling tape support into the kernel,
which contains 3.04d.  It worked for me with a ditto 3200/dash.

Otherwise, try the "unstable" version of ftape at

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/archives/ftape-4.x/unstable/

Bob"

I had problems like this, with a 2.2.5 kernel, and getting the
"unstable" version solved it for me.  There seem to be changes in some
of the relevant structures from 2.0.x to 2.2.x.

David Graham
--

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: scsi disk is not auto-detected during boot.
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:02:19 +0200

as you obviously need the scsi-adapter at boot time to have access
to you disks I recommend to compile the scsi driver into the kernel
and not to load it as a module.
That works fine with my linux box. (I use a Buslogic Flashpoint LT scsi
host
adapter (Ultra-SCSI).

If you have problems with the kernel size (... too big) when
recompiling, try something like

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make dep clean bzImage

bzImage means "big zImage"

this works with my SuSE 6.1 linux (kernel 2.2.5)

Have fun!
Carsten

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hoe to config my modem?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:46:56 +0200

you will probably need isapnp tool. (normally it's included in your
distribution)

try to read read
man isapnp
man isapnpdump

on the other hand: you are not allone.. there are many people having
problems
with a winmodem.

regards,
Carsten

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                            __                               ::
::                           / /                               ::
::     _______   __   __   / /_____   Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum ::
::    / ____ /  / /  / /  /  __   /   Universitaetsstrasse 150 ::
::   / /       / /__/ /  /  /_/  /    44780 Bochum             ::
::  /_/       /______/  /_______/                              ::
::                                                             ::
:: Carsten Cimander                                            ::
:: Student                                                     ::
:: Lehrstuhl fuer elektrische Steuerung und Regelung           ::
::                                                             ::
:: email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  ::
:: WWW:   http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Carsten.Cimander  ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

------------------------------

From: Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 7 Jul 1999 15:42:31 -0500

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips David T. Wang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: : has development sentience and re-coded itself using a O(n) algorithm.
               ^^^^

I hate it when I make grammatical "typos" like this.  That's what I get
for trying to improve my sentences via editing - sometimes there are
version conflicts.

: Took me about 15 minutes on a slow RS6K, but Netscape works loading the
: red/black/red rectangular pattern.

Well that's good to know - at least it works, albeit very inefficiently.

------------------------------

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live Value and SuSE Linux 6.0
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:49:08 +0200

Hi Mark,

creative offers a driver for the soundblaster live:

http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/

I hope that helps.
Have fun!
Carsten

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                            __                               ::

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Bumby)
Subject: Re: Tekram-Controller
Date: 7 Jul 1999 17:44:12 -0400

"Crossbones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Karl Lewalter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> i want to install SuSE 6.1. My Cd-Rom is connected to a Tekram 390F
>> controller, which is located at 6500h and Irq 10. According to the
>> handbook I added the following parameter before installing : linux
>> ncr53c8xx=0x650,10. But the controller is still not recognized by setup.
>>
>> Can anybody help ?? Thanks ...

> Hmm. I never did add any options, and it worked fine. One thing though: The
>driver might be configured as a module. If so, do an insmod and see if it
>brings it up. If it does, you can always add something to the init scripts
>to insmod it, or just have it compiled in to the kernel.

>Steve

The Caldera 2.2 distribution was also able to find the controller
without my help.. SuSE should be able to do as well.  It is configured
as a module in that distribution

The original poster should check the port address.  He wrote 6500h in
one place and 0x650 in another.  I'm not at my system now, so I can't
check how mine is configured, or if anything special was done to allow
the module to load correctly.  However, I can confirm that this driver
dows a good job with the TekrAm 390F.

--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math || Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       ||