From: Eric Penne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel Pro 100+
Date: 24 Jun 1999 01:33:39 GMT

I use that card with an ABIT BH6 and it set up so nicely with Redhat 6.0
that I haven't taken the time to look at the settings.  Sometimes things
do work right.

Eric

Dan St. Sauveur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Anybody using an Intel Pro 100+ management adapter (10/100 ethernet)?

------------------------------

From: "TheSaint Inc." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turtle Beach Montego II
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:40:50 -0600

Has anyone got the Turtle Beach Montego II sound card to work?I'm running
Red Hat 6.0 and  I'd appreciate any input you might have. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "JC Ervin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com VEverything modem
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:47:21 -0700

I was wondering if there is anybody out there that may be able to help me
out.  I have a 3com Veverything external modem and I can't get the damn
thing to work.  So if anybody has any ideas, please help me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How much space for each partition?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 00:11:32 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:03:39 +0200, Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>TURBO1010 wrote:
>>
>> What's the deal about SuSE?
>>
>1.) SuSE is crap (see my other postings on this subject in the
>c.o.l.misc newsagroup).
>2.) but the reason to mention it was that it puts large amounts of
>things into /opt, whereas DanH said that be not normal with linux. Also
>it leaves /usr/local almost empty.
>
>Marc
>
>--
>Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
>University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics
>
>PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS), 0x31748570 (DH)

Actually /opt is a pretty standard unix.  The problem with Redhat is
it doesn't follow the standards very well.  Then Caldera, well I won't
even go there.  As for SuSE, I love it.  Alot of options, power and
some excellant sysadmin and configuration tools (YAST) makes life alot
easier.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Eberbach)
Subject: Re: Heres one manufacturer we dont need
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:09:59 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Heres  the series of e-mails between myself and
> Memorex

Dear Stan,

Please get a clue. Why do you think that a large company would suddenly
support Linux simply because you gave them an ultimatum involving the
loss of one (1) person's business? You will notice that they said "at
this time" - that's likely to be forever, if every Linux user starts
throwing little tantrums.

Perhaps you should try showing economic reasons for Linux support? That
is why companies exist, you know.

--
Adam Eberbach

------------------------------

From: Jean-Michel Dault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: how to setup mandrake 6 for a cable modem
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 00:34:12 +0000

Yeah, some cable operators suck ;)

In that case, rpm -e all the network packages =(

Jean-Michel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:52:16 -0500
From: "Dr Aldo Medina [mx]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip Drive Linux 2.0.10 fails

Jonathon wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : linux detects it, but it cannot see any partition on zip disks, and thus
> : one cannot mount it or read information off of zip disks.  I think these
>
>         Assuming you meant the 100 MB Zip Drive.
>
>         For some weird reason, they are usable as VFAT disks only.
>         Expect 25% of the new disks you buy to fail.
>         If Win95/98/NT does _anything_ to the disk, expect it
>         to fail.  << That includes writing data to the disk. >>
>
>         By fail, I mean it will not be readable by Linux.  They are
>         still usable on Win* machines though.  I haven't had time to
>         try to figure out why this occurs, but it does.
>
>         xan
>
>         jonathon
>
> --
>         I'm still looking for a good book on
>                 3:      The Recent Unpleasantness
>                 1:      The War Of Northern Aggression.
>                 2:      The War of Southern Rebellion.

I use an internal IDE ATAPI Zip 100Mb, with RH 5.2 and 6.0 without any
problems.

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Running X on an LCD
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:46:26 -0400

Chad,

Probably the first thing to do is look at your XConfig file.  Near the
beginning of the file will be an entry for section "Files".  In this section
will be the line which says where the Xerror log file is written to.  Everytime
you start X, or attempt to start X, an error log file will be created.  Examine
the file, because it has a wealth of info which can assist you in diagnosing
where your problem lies.

In writing my config file, I told X that I had a 14" monitor. I used this value
because it is the smallest standard value for a conventional monitor.  I had
seen other config files for LCD screens and noticed that there were entries for
the exact size of the lcd screen, written in millimeters, so I also included a
line in that section (monitor section).  That is listed as Display Size.  On
the lines for Horiz and Vert Refresh, I chose values which were VERY INCLUSIVE,
deliberately.  I did this knowing that X would choose the right values by
itself, once I told it which server to use, and once it found the chipset.  The
server queries the chipset, and once it finds it, it will use the correct
values, of it's own accord.  The Modelines I selected are for a standard, 60hz
refresh rate monitor operating at VGA mode.

Under section "Device" I specified the Server to use as the ct driver.  I made
sure the cd driver was installed, and that it was symbolically linked to X.  I
selected 16 bit color because it will render most graphics well, and will
operate resonably fast.  I think that I don't have enough memory to operate at
1024x virtual res at any higher color depth than 16 bit color.

Most of the info I needed to write this config file was found in the XFree86
How To.  I also have a Linux Bible, which has the How Tos in written form,
making it easy to have the manual on my lap, while I play with writing the
file, and looking things up.  Most Invaluable.

X may not automatically load the correct server for use on your system.  You
may need to manually check to see that it's there, and if not, manually copy
the file from CD onto your system, un tar it, and then symbolically link it to
X.  Once it's present on the system, you can invoke it in your config file.

I don't know which one you need for your chipset.  Other than that, I can't
think of why X won't run on your box.

Best Regards
--
Valentin Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:18:58 +0000
From: John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSe +  Hardrive partitioning

Rolston Jeremiah wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I have a 8GB hardrive  ready to install SuSe 6.1. I not sure how
> many or how large partitions should be. The SuSe installation guide
> does not recommend partition/size. I have cooked up a rough sketch
> as a guide.
>
> If anyone has done this before I will greatly appreciate your input(add
> partition, delete partition, change size, etc.)Here is what I  have done
>
> partition    size     mount point     inode       partition type
>
> hda1        120M      /               2048          linux native
> hda2         10M      /boot           1024          linux native
> hda3       4000M      /usr/local      40960         linux native
> hda5        520M      /usr/src        8192          linux native
> hda6        500M      /var            8192          linux native
> hda7       2600M      /home           4096          linux native
> hda8        100M      /tmp            2048          linux native
> hda9         10M      /                             MSDos
> hda10       140M      /swap                         swap
>
> Will this suffice?
>
> Thanks for your help

You don't want to hear what I did.

And keep in mind that I'm using a 9 GB disk w/ about 7.8 GB available for 2
different Linux distributions. But here goes:

First,I created a swap partition as big as my physical RAM (128 MB).

Then I installed all that I wanted from the distribution  CD's onto one big root
directory. I think it came out to about 1.5 GB for SuSE 6.0, a largish
distribution w/ a lot of software..

Then I used du -ks to get the amount of used disk space in /boot, /home and
/opt.

Then I went back to fdisk recreated / and created /boot, /home and /opt. I sized
them to allow for ~30 - 50% growth (esp. /opt  :-). I set /home to a very large
and arbitrary 500 MB because I will be sharing this machine and did not want to
repartition again.

And then I reinstalled everything into those new partitions.

And I did this procedure for both RedHat and SuSE.

This method resolves any questions you may have about partitioning, but it
requires 2 installs.

Keep in mind that the Red Hat guide is pretty thorough, if that's what you're
using, but many people will not need all the partitions it specifies, especially
if you are the only user on the machine.

Modify the partitions I describe to your own taste. Some may be alarmed by this
psychopathic install method, others vaguely amused...  -=:-0

YMMV,

--
john hagen ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=============================

------------------------------

From: Dave Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:31:43 -0400

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Asim Shankar wrote:

> hi!
>
> I have a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Value soundcard.
>
> The Creative site says that they are currently no drivers for Linux created
> by them.

there are:
ftp://ftp.creative.com/pub/creative/beta/sblive-0.2b.tar.gz

they're in beta, so creative doesn't exactly advertise them... but they do
exist.

dave

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:09:05 -0500

I've seen this.  It happens on NT too.  I was told by a ex cow-orker that the
BIOS on the 2940 card it self needed upgraded.

--
Chris
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI 128
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:16:15 -0700

Ward wrote:

> I have an SBPCI64 that I only got to work when I upgraded
> the kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.2.5-15 (RH 5.1 -> 6.0).  I'm not sure if
> the 64 and the 128 have similar chips, but the module I successfully
> used was the es1370 module.  I think this module or the es1371
> should get you going.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like upgrading your kernel, opensound
supports the SB128 PCI.  http://www.opensound.com
Benjamin Black                                     Per ardua ad alta
http://www.wilykit.com (soon)                     Ad astra per aspera
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              Ad augusta per angusta

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:18:35 -0700

supports the SB128 PCI:  www.opensound.com

From: "Jimmy Nilzohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:35:41 +0200

Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > >Nope, I don't.
> >
> > Yep you do.
> >
> No, I don't. -- Yes you do. -- Muuum? ...
>
> Children in their natural environment -- observed by
>
> Marc :-)

My daddy beats your daddy... :P

--
Jimmy Nilzohn

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: how to's
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:05:47 -0500

Is a list of all the HowTo's. Book mark it.
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

May the Pengiun be with you....

--
Chris
"Can I go back in my box now?"

news:7m0dn1$8p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem
Date: 8 Jul 1999 02:11:09 GMT

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Crossposted-To: iu.linux,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Mac HDs in PC; RH 6.0 Install Fails
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:15:00 -0500

I would suggest a low-level format any time you switch OS.  Can't hurt :)

--
Chris
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...