Linux-Hardware Digest #701, Volume #10            Thu, 8 Jul 99 06:13:41 EDT

Contents:
  Linux und Miro DC 30, Videoschnitt (Jens Haug)
  Re: Multiprocessing for Webserver using Apache/JServ with Servlets ("James Young")
  Help on ALS100 needed. (Chhabra)
  "open() failed" problem when accessing SCSI scanner from Redhat 5.2 (Albert Lee)
  Tekram CaptureTV M205 sound (Francois Pienaar)
  Re: format >2GB hard (Joe Matise)
  Re: Help on ALS100 needed. (henk van der knaap)
  Flat Panel Help! ("Michael Vachon")
  Re: OFFTOPIC: Cost/Performance SCSI/IDE (wizard)
  Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem (Mark Douthwaite)
  Re: Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0 (William B. Cattell)
  Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC (Ludovic Hirlimann)
  Re: Asus P2B and the 366a ("Chris")
  Xcel 2000 Motherboard problem (Jimmy)
  Re: format >2GB hard ("James Young")
  How powerful a system do you need to run Linux as a server? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Celeron or PII? (Anthony David)
  Re: SoundBlaster Live! ("Mark Thomas")
  Re: APM: Halt crashes when trying to poweroff. (John Darrington)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Helge Hafting)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? ("Chris")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jens Haug)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,maus.computer.linux
Subject: Linux und Miro DC 30, Videoschnitt
Date: 8 Jul 1999 06:37:09 GMT

Hallo zusammen,

Weiss jemand, ob bzw. wie man eine Miro DC 30 Karte (zwecks Videoschnitt)
unter Linux zum Laufen bringt?
Und falls ich tatsaechlich diese Karte zum Laufen bringen sollte:
Kann mir jemand gute Programme zum Video schneiden empfehlen?

Danke!

Jens

P.S.: Sorry fuer das XPost, ich konnte mich nicht entscheiden.
Setzt jemand ein passendes F'up2?

------------------------------

From: "James Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Re: Multiprocessing for Webserver using Apache/JServ with Servlets
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:45:56 +0100

Jimmie Houchin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The webapp is currently under development. But based on my current
> stage of analysis and design I am anticipating it being potentially
> highly cpu intensive because of the large database 25-75gb+ and the
> database searches.

Ahh, so it's not REALLY your average webserver, it's really a database
server.

Hmm.  Are you really sure you want to do this all on one machine?  IMHO
you'd be better off splitting the webserving and database serving tasks
between two machines.  You wouldn't need a particularly fast computer to do
the webserving.  For the database server, by all means go with SMP - you'll
probably find it helps a great deal, although the critical bottleneck would
be the I/O system - what are you intending to use for the I/O?

Marm

------------------------------

From: Chhabra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help on ALS100 needed.
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:17:58 +0400

I have just upgraded to RH 6.0 from RH5.2.
The main reason for which I upgraded to RH6.0 was for its support
for PnP soundcards. I have an ALS100. The settings for my ALS100 card under
Win95 were :

Wave Audio device I/O 0220-022F H
 IRQ 05
 DMA1 01
 DMA2 03

 Internal Midi device
 I/O 0388-038F H

 Joystick device
 I/O 0200-0207 H

 External Midi (MPU 401)
 I/O 02B0-02B1 H
 IRQ 11

The IRQ 11 is not listed for the MPU thing in sndconfig.

How do I make Linux work with my soundcard ?

------------------------------

From: Albert Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "open() failed" problem when accessing SCSI scanner from Redhat 5.2
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:19:58 +0000

I recently upgraded from Redhat 5.0 to 5.2.  Now I can't access my
scanner.  It worked just fine under Redhat 5.0 but no longer works
under 5.2.

I tried "/sbin/scsi_info /dev/sga" but got this error message:
open() failed: Permission denied

I did an "ls -l /dev/sga" and got this:

crwxrwxrwx   1 root     root      21,   0 Jul  8 00:02 /dev/sga

The permissions for this device file seem fine to me.

I am using the 2.0.36 kernel and have an HP Scanjet 5P (scsi)
scanner connected to an NCR53C810 scsi adapter (PCI).

I recompiled the kernel hoping the problem was with the loadable
scsi module.  I chose the ncr53c7,8xx driver and compiled it
into the kernel, but I still encountered the same problem.

I put this line into my lilo.conf file: 'append="scsi_logging=1"'
to get more debugging info.  During boot up, I got the following
output.  The system seems to be detecting both my adapter and my
scanner, but it just won't let me open the device file.

Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks.
--Albert ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : at PCI bus 0, device 13,  function 0
scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : warning : revision of 18 is greater than 2.
scsi-ncr53c7,8xx : NCR53c810 at memory 0xffbefc00, io 0xfc00, irq 11
scsi0 : burst length 2
scsi0 : reset ccf to 3 from 0
scsi0 : NCR code relocated to 0x2dc600 (virt 0x002dc600)
scsi0 : test 1 started
scsi0 : NCR53c{7,8}xx (rel 17)
scsi : 1 host.
scsi0 : target 2 rejected SDTR
scsi0 : setting target 2 to asynchronous SCSI
  Vendor: HP        Model: C5110A            Rev: 3701
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi generic sga at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
scsi : detected total.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Francois Pienaar)
Subject: Tekram CaptureTV M205 sound
Date: 8 Jul 1999 07:50:47 GMT

Hi there,

I have problems to get the sound working on the Tekram CaptureTV M205
TV-Capture card. Anybody got it working yet ? Any tips on getting it to
work would be appreciated.

Francois

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.msdos.misc
From: Joe Matise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: format >2GB hard
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:33:14 GMT

Kamran Mohseni wrote:

> Hey guys;
>
> I have a HP pentium II 233MHz machine with 6GB hard disk. I Want to have
> both Windows and Linux on my machine.

That is not the brightest of ideas ...  I have tried this twice, and
severely damaged the FAT both times.  If you want to do this, either backup
frequently, or don't keep anything important on either system.

> So I partitioned the system with 2.6GB (created as FAT32) for windows and
> 3.6GB for Linux. I've installed linux RH6.0 without any problem. The
> problem is that I can only format 2GB of my windows partition (I used the
> boot disk from Windows98 to format c). It doesnot let me to format more
> than 2GB. I used  the command

> format c: /s
>
> Note that the size of the partitions are correct on fdisk. How can I
> format all of c:?

Ok ...   Most likely the problem is in the cluster size.  Different cluster
sizes are necessary for larger disks.  This is the smallest possible size of
data that can be written -- for example, a 4 kb cluster size means that a
one byte file will take up 4 kb on the disk.  The larger the cluster size,
the more disk space is wasted, but the larger the partition, too.  If I
remember properly, 4 kb in FAT32 is adequate for 2 gig, but if you want more
you have to go bigger, probably 8 kb for your needs.  I don't remember how
to change this in DOS, because I use Partition Commander to do this for me
(http://www.v-com.com).  I would recommend using one of the commercial
programs if you are going to do the whole linux/WIN9x thing, because one
little mistake and you are liable to destroy both systems ... the commercial
progs are not foolproff, but they are pretty good (At least Partition
Commander is).

A suggestion ... keep the partiton under 2 gig.  It is more efficient
spacewise to do that -- 8kb partitions waste huge amounts of space with most
anything, especially small text files and such, so unless you are dealing
exclusively with files that are several meg apiece, you will waste most or
all of your extra 0.6 gig.  Also, it is much safer to have several
partitions, so you don't lose everything if one of them gets damaged.

> send me an email at    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kamran.

HTH,
-Joe

------------------------------

From: henk van der knaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on ALS100 needed.
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:08:37 +1200

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Chhabra wrote:

> I have just upgraded to RH 6.0 from RH5.2.
> The main reason for which I upgraded to RH6.0 was for its support
> for PnP soundcards. I have an ALS100. The settings for my ALS100 card under
> Win95 were :
>
> Wave Audio device I/O 0220-022F H
>  IRQ 05
>  DMA1 01
>  DMA2 03
>
>  Internal Midi device
>  I/O 0388-038F H
>
>  Joystick device
>  I/O 0200-0207 H
>
>  External Midi (MPU 401)
>  I/O 02B0-02B1 H
>  IRQ 11
>
> The IRQ 11 is not listed for the MPU thing in sndconfig.
>
> How do I make Linux work with my soundcard ?

Dear Chhabra,

I have Debian 2.1 with the ALS100 soundcard. This card is really a
soundblaster clone. I took out my soundblaster card because RealPlayer
wouldn't work with it. I compiled the soundblaster modules for it, and it
works well, although the soundquality is not so good as the soundblaster
card.

I use the kernel version 2.2.9
Here is part of the sound configuration:
#
# Plug and Play support
#
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT=m

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_PAS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set

#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_ACI_MIXER is not set
# CONFIG_AWE32_SYNTH is not set
# CONFIG_AEDSP16 is not set

#
# Kernel hacking
#
# CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ is not set
In Debian you also have to edit a conf.modules files to add options for
the sound module.

alias char-major-14 sb
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

The card is detected when booting up and turned on by typing modprobe sb.
I do not use a joystick however, so you would have to compile the module
for that. Also there should be some documentation with your kernel
software.

Regards

henk

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Phone/fax 64 3 3229185

My Operating system is Linux Debian 2.1
My e-mail address is as follows:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Michael Vachon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Flat Panel Help!
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 01:23:34 GMT

When I boot from the installation CD and the installation process begins,
the screen goes blank after it tries to start the Lizard........so I decided
I would use LISA....I have been having trouble with my graphics card, once I
got Linux installed, I could not start the X-window system because of my
graphics card/monitor. I have a Number Nine Revolution IVFP with 32 MB RAM
and a Silicon Graphics Digital LCD Flat Panel Monitor (The Silicon Graphics
Digtial Flat Panel Solution Pack). I used to use Red Hat Linux 6.0 and I had
the same problem and I was told that the I128 XFree86 server would work
fine....but so far I have not figured out how to get it to work.

Another problem, I just formatted my Linux partition so that I could just
start all over, how do I use OpenLinux installation if I already own
partition magic 4.0? I used it to partition my drive and then when i ran the
installation of OpenLinux, the Partition Magic Caldera Edition booted up and
said it could not partition, a partition already exists and I had to cancel
setup...

If you could please resolve my issues of grapics card/monitor, partitioning,
and installation I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Michael Vachon

------------------------------

From: wizard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: Cost/Performance SCSI/IDE
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:22:17 -0400

John McKown wrote:

> OK, I'm stupid. Can anyone out there explain to me why a SCSI hard drive
> costs about twice as much as a similiarly sized IDE hard drive? Someone
> once told me it was due to the SCSI interface being more expensive to
> implement. OK. But isn't the actual hard drive (platters, heads, etc)
> the same? So the cost would be "hardware"+"electronics". I can understand
> the "SCSI electronics" being more expensive than the "IDE electronics".
> but that would imply that difference should be about equal. For instance,
> suppose an IDE drive cost is $300. $200 is "hardware" and $100 is
> "IDE electronics". As similiar SCSI would be, say $500. $200 is "hardware",
> because the "hardware" is nearly identical and $300 is "SCSI electronics".
> But wouldn't that mean that a $600 IDE should be $500 hardware + $100
> electronics. Implying that a SCSI of similiar size would be $500 hardware
> + $300 electronics = $800 total. But the SCSI generally would be closer
> to $1200. What is the $400 for?
>
> Am I all wet when I say that the drive "hardware" is nearly identical
> for IDE and SCSI? (assuming the same platters & heads and RPM). Does
> SCSI require superior "hardware" (platters & heads). It seems to me
> that I've seem the same set of RPM values (5400, 7200, 10000). Why
> would a SCSI 5400 RPM need significantly superior "hardware" than
> an IDE?
>
> Am I all wet when I say that the "electronics" for an IDE drive are
> approximately the same regardless of the size of the drive? Do larger
> IDE drives require significantly better IDE electronics? The same
> questions for SCSI.
>
> Note - I used the above numbers just as an example, I have NO idea
> what the real breakdown is. In fact, since the price per megabyte
> seems close to a straight line (except in the really large sizes), I'd
> guess that the "electronics" cost is insignificant. I hate to be
> negative, but it really seems, to me, that the vendors have said something
> like: "We'll price IDE at $X per megabyte and SCSI at $Y per megabyte".
> Even if this does not match the cost to manufacture.
>
> Well, enough of my ranting. You may guess I want SCSI but can't afford
> it.
>
> If you can enlighten me on this, I really would like to know.
>
> John

John;

A couple of things; first I would agree that there is little difference in
hardware from some manufactures (SCSI vs IDE).    However that doesn't mean
you can't get SCSI drives with better durability specs such as MTBF.    This
can also be said about IDE dirves, even from the same manufacture you can get
drifves with differrent durability specs.

Part of the SCSI pricing issue is related to volume, part to stupidity on the
manufactures.

The electronics in a SCSI drives are more intelligent to handle the
protocol.    Generally they have large onboard caches.    Though with the cost
of memory dropping close to zero this isn't always the case on the latest
equipment.     I'm sure the extra development effort required to get the SCSI
firmware correct is also an issue in pricing.    Personally my biggeest grip
isn't the cost of the drives but the cost of the adapter cards.   Here I go
for mother boards with built in SCSI.

For some types of usages a SCSI disk can be much faster than an IDE drive.
Some will pay the extra bucks for the performance.    I don't really believe
that the costs are really twice as much in all cases.    If your machine is
used in such a way that it benefits from SCSI drives then the cost does mean
much.    For many users, sepecially thoose who use there machines basicly in a
single user mode, the SCSI disk add very little value.

HERE IS Dave Low cost high performance machine implementation suggestion:

Buy a motherboard with some sort of well supported SCSI chipset and two
IDE ports.    Put one very fast high performance Harddisks on each of the
IDE ports.    Put what ever else you want on the SCSI port.    For example put
your CDROM burner on the SCSI port, or ZIP drive for that matter.    Generally
you don't get screwed pricing wise on accessories as much as you do on HD.

Thanks
Dave

------------------------------

From: Mark Douthwaite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:28:07 +0100

I have a Pentium 166mmx PC running Win 95 and dual booting with Linux
Red Hat 5.2.
I cannot get my modem to work at all.  I have tried using netcfg but
with no joy.  Also, I cannot get the ppp interface to stay 'active'.
Everytime I go back into netcfg it is shown as inactive again.
I know this is probably basic but I'm very new to Linux.
Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Douthwaite.

------------------------------

From: William B. Cattell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:42:11 GMT

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Rob Clancy wrote:
>Can anyone provide me with either the location of the driver or the
>methods for using an existing driver to use the HP 722C DeskJet Printer
>in redhat 6.0?  I've tried all the 500 and 600 series drivers that come
>with the operating system and haven't had any luck yet.  Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Rob
>([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Rob - check out my Linux page - http://members.home.com/wcattell/linux.html

I have an HP 712C and had the same problems.  The PPA2PBM drivers work real
well.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Ludovic Hirlimann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Let's build a perfect Wintel-free PC
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:23:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Kenneth Been <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing about other non-PC Linux boxes.
>
> Ken

You can check the Alpha (Compaq is making compilers available to the
linux community on Alphas ...)
And www.mcg.mot.com

--
http://www.multimania.com/softkid

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Asus P2B and the 366a
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:14:51 -0500

I have a 300a clock to 450 with no problems except that when playing Unreal it
locks up if I use the menu for more than 2 sec.  Don't about the heatsink.  A
freind of mine has that Abit board.  The only thing I don't like about it is
that there is no option to power on after a power loss, so you cannot control
power with a strip or use it in a dedicated server because you have to push the
button to turn it on no matter what.

--
Chris
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.

news:s2Dg3.3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jimmy)
Subject: Xcel 2000 Motherboard problem
Date: 7 Jul 1999 22:37:50 GMT

A friend has a PC100 M748MR v1.1 Mainboard (Xcel 2000 100MHZ Modem Ready,
with SiS620, CMI8338/C3DX chip) and he wants to install linux.
Everything works fine until he wants to install modem, and sound card.
For the sound chip there is some documentation in linux kernel
source distribution (he has the one that comes with RedHat 6.0-2.2.5-15)
but isapnp.conf supplied with it can't detect the chip. He also can't
detect modem, although you can see sound card and modem in /proc/pci.

Enyone has similar motherboard....:)

(Linux distribution: RedHat 6.0)
(modem: V.90 K56 Flex HSP )

------------------------------

From: "James Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 05:55:08 +0100

Kamran Mohseni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> format c). It doesnot let me to format more than 2GB. I used  the
> command
>
> format c: /s
>
> Note that the size of the partitions are correct on fdisk. How can I
> format all of c:?

Are you sure you've made it a FAT32 partition?

Try using DOS chkdsk to find the cluster size of c: - I suspect it'll say,
amongst other things:

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit

On a 2GB partition, that means it's been formatted as FAT16, and thus only
2GB can be used.  As an additional check, Win98 fdisk should tell you the
partition type if you select Display Partition Information...

Hang about, was this drive formatted as FAT16 before you repartitioned it?
If so, then sometimes Win98 format will try to be too clever and keep it as
a FAT16 partition - it's happened to me before.  Try the (now sadly
undocumented) /u switch, which does an unconditional format without checking
the previous format.

Try:
format c: /u /s

and see what happens.

If you still can't get Win98 fdisk/format to play ball, and you have a Linux
boot disk (most distros will now boot straight off the CD too), then try
using Linux fdisk (or the somewhat friendlier menu-based cfdisk) to
partition the drive - it gives you a lot more control over what you're
doing.  If you're lucky, you might even have a recent version of mkdosfs
that can format FAT32.  Again, this gives you a bit more control over the
proceedings than Win98 format...

Marm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: How powerful a system do you need to run Linux as a server?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 01:26:15 GMT

       Hello, I'm new to Linux.  I would like to know how powerful of a
machine you would need to run Linux as a server?  Let's say you had a
DSL connection, would you be able to use Linux as a webserver?
What would be the best release for me to start with? Red Hat?

thanks for your time,

D.

From: Anthony David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron or PII?
Date: 08 Jul 1999 18:42:13 +1000

"Robert L. McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How is it that Linux is able to stress the CPU more or less than Windows? I
> can understand that the possibility is there when the OS is idle, but how is
> that possible otherwise?  The CPU is simply executing a series of machine
> instructions.  If the CPU is busy, why does it matter if it's busy executing
> machine code in Windows or in Linux?

It's a mystery to me. anecdotal evidence is not always conclusive.

My anectdotal evidence is that a couple of years ago when I used to dual-boot,
My P133 over-clocked to 150Mhz would run Linux and Windows fine until I
ran a *CPU-intensive* program. gcc on Linux and Quake on Win95. They both
clagged out. Applications that are not I/O or memory bound are apt to
drive the CPU to 100%.

> "David E. Fox" wrote:
>
> > In article <ZmV73.1106$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bryan wrote:
> >
> > >Vaisbrot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >: I saw somewhere than because of Linux's better (i.e. complete) usage of
> > >: the CPU, it was tricky to overclock it, whichever the CPU model may be.
> > >

> > >in fact, just the opposite, imho.  its known that linux heats cpu's up
> > >less when the system isn't running at full 100% util.  linux executes
> > >the HALT instr which saves energy.  'doze, otoh, is ALWAYS in a busy
> >
> > True, but it's really more complicated than that. A linux system doing
> > something like compiling the kernel is likely going to be pushing
> > hardware a lot farther (and consequently may show negative effects of
> > overclocking) than a typical Windows machine will. In situations
> > like this, the idling really doesn't help.
> >
> > Even a linux machine not doing much other than running a few programs
> > in X or what have you may look like it could tolerate overclocking OK, but
> > will just flop over with a segmentation fault when trying to compile
> > the kernel. That's what I observed when I attempted early on to overclock
> > my current P-100 to 133.
> >
> > >Bryan [at] Grateful.Net
> > >http://www.Grateful.Net
> >
> > --
> > David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]   the              change magnetic patterns
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]      churches         on your hard disk.

Anthony David               | Save Ferris
Anthony David & Associates  | Free Truman
http://adavid.netinfo.net/  | Redeem Londo

------------------------------

From: "Mark Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:53:41 +0100

Asim

Try this
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/
Regards

Mark
news:7m1g50$k0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Darrington)
Subject: Re: APM: Halt crashes when trying to poweroff.
Date: 8 Jul 1999 08:26:16 GMT

Chris Mahmood ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: what kind of BIOS do you have?  It may be buggy, check
: /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/apm.c and see if it mentions anything.
: -ckm

If  it's any consolation, mine does exactly the same, and I've not been
able to find anyone who knows why.  WDoes your motherboard happen to be a Soyo
by any chance?

------------------------------

From: Helge Hafting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:22:49 +0200

> How?  The BX does not officially support UDMA 66 unless you do tweaks
> that is not supported by Intel.  I really doubt if it's true UDMA 66 at
> all since according to Intel, BX has no UDMA 66 capability.   The only
> way I can see that is possible is by matching the i810's southbridge
> with the BX northbridge, and that is not sanctioned or allowed by Intel.

According to Intel, you are not supposed to use dual celerons either.
That's a hack.  Grafting UDMA 66 onto it is just another hack.
Too bad we don't have more hw manufacturers like this, they make
home building more interesting.

Helge Hafting

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <chris @ email.wilsonmfg.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:51:34 -0500

Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7lusp6$na4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<clip>
> On that topic, it seems Netscape's algorithm for rendering nested tables
> is not very smart.  Not sure about IE.  This could be a good
> benchmark...heh.  See how well your wiz-bang Celeron or K6-III handles
> these:
>
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/jhoward/tables/11.html (depth = 11)
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/jhoward/tables/12.html (depth = 12)
>
> These seem to be the magic numbers.  10 and below load fine, 11 took my
> P200 30 seconds to render, I gave up on 12 after waiting a minute and a
> half.

WOW!!! That's stunning!  On my Cel.300a clocked at 450 IE5 rendered that almost
instantaneously.  Netscape 4.08 took about 8 seconds on the 11 tables and 12
tables took 27 seconds!

Chris