Linux-Hardware Digest #703, Volume #10            Thu, 8 Jul 99 11:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  2 x 3c905 @ same I/O ??? (Guy)
  Re: format >2GB hard ("Dave Burley")
  Re: PCMCIA Ethernet networking problem (Mike Carden)
  Re: 3c905C-TX installation failure (Tobias Schorr)
  Re: Help! My awe32 suddenly stopped working (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Filesystem on DAT Tape Recorder? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Celeron or PII? ("Robert L. McCormick")
  Re: Install on Jaz disk (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: NIC IRQ Problem (Dave Senciall)
  Re: Internal Modem (Skipper)
  Re: Bad/semi-usable sectors? (Workarounds for hard disk anomaly?) ("Gene Heskett")
  Making MPEG movies from AVI? ("Jeff Volckaert")
  Re: Lexmark 1000C help needed! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Reading Amiga Formatted Zips Under Linux (Re: Reading Mac Zip Disks) (Teddy Wang)
  WISECOM INTERNAL PCI MODEM (Sven)
  400GB disk, tape hardware required for RH 6.0 Intel (Richard Prout)
  Help: Xerox DocuPrint P8 (Craig Brown)
  Re: SCSI v. IDE boot conflict (Linux-only system) (Gerald Willmann)
  diamond stealth III S540  (Greg Dickson)

From: Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: 2 x 3c905 @ same I/O ???
Date: 8 Jul 1999 11:30:53 GMT

I have two 3c905 cards in a router, which I cannot get working together.
Further investigation reveals that the 2 cards are reported as having the
same IO, but different IRQ.

According to the DOS config util, they are configured at different IO and
IRQ, but when after loading 3c59x.o they are reported as above.

Linux does not find them on boot, so 3c59x.o is loaded manually. IP
addresses can be bound to both adapters, but only one will work at any
given time. Have enabled/disabled PnP BIOS, lilo.conf has:

append = "ether=11,fc80,eth0 ether=9,fc00,eth1"

No idea what to do!! Help!

Thanks,
Guy

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Dave Burley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.msdos.misc
Subject: Re: format >2GB hard
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:32:31 +1000

Make sure that you set LBA mode on for the drive, in the cmos setup...

then re-run fdisk, it should prompt for large disk, say yes & away you go,
as someone else stated, FAT32 has fixed cluster size for disks up to 8Gb,
but the ID byte in the partition table is different for FAT32 LBA & FAT32
CHS

0x0B00 = Windows 95 FAT-32

0x0C00 = Windows 95 FAT-32 (LBA)

FDISK checks the bios(from cmos setup) table for Large Block Access, if it
didn't ask I would presume it is turned off, Worth a try anyway, by the way
as FATS are dynamic under FAT32, the size is dependant on disk size, it
would be easier to delete the partition of 2GB you created!

Best regards Dave B...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mike Carden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Ethernet networking problem
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:15:12 +0100

Hey, thanks for responding ..

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, crayfish
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Mike Carden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>You might have to give us your configuration instead of just writing
>that everything is ok :) In fact, if something is not working, there
>has to be a problem, and I do not think this is a interrupt prob (as
>somebody else wrote).

Fair comment, but what's wrong? Where should I be looking?

What config files should I post to help?

>1. Can you see the replys on your linux box?

Nothing at all.

>2. How did you connect your linux box?

Didn't touch a thing apart from reboot into Linux rather than win98

> Do you get any other traffic to
>your linux box (can you telnet to it)? If not, there might be a prob
>with your wiring.

No traffic on the cable gets recognised at all.

Can not be a cable problem as the other os works fine.

>greetings, Crayfish

Any ideas?

--
Mike Carden

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Schorr)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: 3c905C-TX installation failure
Date: 8 Jul 1999 11:43:47 GMT

In article <qXtd3.9964$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Don Awalt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What's the driver name for the ethernet standard driver?

Just visit http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

Bye ... Tobias

--
   ////                   Realname: Tobias Schorr                    \\\\
  ////              E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                \\\\

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: Help! My awe32 suddenly stopped working
Date: 07 Jul 1999 19:21:05 -0700

does 'cat /dev/sndstat' report everything correctly?  Can you play an
au file doing 'cat foo.au >> /dev/audio'?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i Modem
Date: 07 Jul 1999 19:24:58 -0700

did you check to see whether it's a winmodem?
-ckm

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Filesystem on DAT Tape Recorder?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Jul 1999 08:54:14 -0400

Horst Wetzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have an SCSI DAT Tape Recorder connected to my linux box.
>
> Is it possible to put a filesystem on a tape and mount the tape like a
> floppy?

no.  tapes have sequential access -- not random access.  this wouldn't
make sense.

> If it is possible, how can I do this?

i use tar with my tapes.  the _t_ in tar stands for _tape_.  use the
tape device as your `file'.

  tar cvf /dev/st0

(assuming /dev/st0 is your DAT tape)

there are better back-up programs than tar.  cpio is one (but i've
never bothered to learn its arcane collection of options).  there are
specialized incremental backup softwares like the proprietary BRU.

incidentally, you can use tar for floppies too.  i do

  tar cvf /dev/fd0

to transport small stuff amonst unix boxen.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron or PII?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:46:53 -0500

How is it that Linux is able to stress the CPU more or less than Windows? I
can understand that the possibility is there when the OS is idle, but how is
that possible otherwise?  The CPU is simply executing a series of machine
instructions.  If the CPU is busy, why does it matter if it's busy executing
machine code in Windows or in Linux?

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install on Jaz disk
Date: 07 Jul 1999 19:23:31 -0700

of course people have used a Jaz drive...you may need to tell the
installer what kind of scsi host you have so it can load the
appropriate module.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Dave Senciall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC IRQ Problem
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 01:42:08 -0230

can you disable to com port in bios , if an older type board via
jumper??
--
Dave Senciall St. John's NF. Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:18:05 -0500
From: Skipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal Modem

Asim Shankar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have an internal ISA Plug-N-Play USRobotics 33.6Kbps FAX modem.
> I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
>
> How do I get the modem working in Linux??
>
> I retrieved some info from the Windows' Device Manager, namely the IO
> addresses and IRQ for the modem, if that helps. It's also assigned COM3 in
> Windows.
>
> IO - 03E8-03EF
> IRQ - 5
>
> Please tell me how to get this modem functional for Kppp etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Asim Shankar

You might want to go ahead and get that  nice new 56k external modem at this
point. I had troubles getting  Linux to recognize  my plug and pray modem and
had to return it in exchange for an external. Boy, am I glad I did. Now I
have quick easy access and no problems. Good Luck.

------------------------------

Date: 08 Jul 99 09:19:28 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad/semi-usable sectors? (Workarounds for hard disk anomaly?)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to FM ;

This doesn't really sound like a bad disk, or it very likely would have
totally failed in the ensueing few hours you have 'played' with it.

What it does sound like is something like flaky cabling, or maybe a bad
bios mode choice.  Possibly a bad chip in the interface.

It just doesn't walk like an incipient drive failure because anything
that wide spread tends to expand exponentially, and rapidly.  And has
done so in every instance I've been personally present at.

There was a paper published a few years back when HP was developing the
GMR head technology.  They were also looking at being able to predict
from the error rates they were having, a method to warn of an impending
total failure.  It was usually so catastrophic that the failure warning,
and the failure, were less than 20 minutes running time apart, with no
powerdown cycles interveneing.

If you have a spare plug in another machine, I'd "change everything but
the drive" to see if the problem persists.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Making MPEG movies from AVI?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:52:55 -0400

Hello Everybody,

I have a hauppauge tuner card in my Redhat 6.0 system that i've been using
XawTV with to watch TV.  I've been messing around with the AVI capture
utility 'streamer' to make movies.  I'd like to compress these to MPEG
movies and downloaded 'mpeg2encode'.

I have three problems... the first is I can't get sound with streamer.  I
hear sound when it captures, but no sound when I view the AVI.  Anyone
encounter this and fix it?

The second problem is I can't play the AVI movies under Windows.  I can play
them under Linux (w/o sound), but both realplayer and media player don't
work.

The third problem is I can't figure out how to convert the AVI movies to
MPEG in mpeg2encode.  It wants a parameter file.  I copied one of the sample
parameter files and they all want seperate files for each frame.  Anyone
used this program before?

BTW, once I get this all figured out I want to convert family video to MPEG
movies to ship downstate to the rest of the family.  I have another little
one on the way (i.e. baby) and want to be setup in the next few weeks.

TIA,
Jeff Volckaert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Lexmark 1000C help needed!
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 13:17:39 GMT

take a look to special LINUX forum
http://www.zdnet.de/forum/
there are many tips and addresses (like fax or email)
if you need support to GDI-printer (for example LEXMARK 1000)

n article <7kmtng$n2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Teddy Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,amiga.linux
Subject: Reading Amiga Formatted Zips Under Linux (Re: Reading Mac Zip Disks)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:04:06 GMT

I've got a similar problem.  I'm  trying to mount Zip disks which I
formatted with AmigaOS on my SUSE 6.1 based Intel box.  The kernel has
AFFS support already built in, but trying to mount /dev/sdb or
/dev/sdb1 (it's a SCSI zip) don't work.  Has anybody gotten this to
work?

Teddy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Sven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.,fido.ger.linux,linux.dev.newbie,linux.dev.serial
Subject: WISECOM INTERNAL PCI MODEM
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 14:34:49 +0200

Hello World !!!!!
I've a question referring to the modem above. I heard that it should be
supported bij the kernel. Nevertheless I'm not able to find it. But the
modem is recognized bij linux, but as an unknowned device. Oh, right I'm
using kernel 2.2.5.
I also checked th /init.d/serial for the right settings, but either the
modem is not answering or busy.
PLEASE HELP ME. I HATE MICROSOFT (MOST OF THE TIME).

Luke

------------------------------

From: Richard Prout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 400GB disk, tape hardware required for RH 6.0 Intel
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 05:23:03 +0100

Hi,

If anyone could suggest hardware/drivers to use for a 400GB disk array
and associated tape I would be very happy.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Craig Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: Xerox DocuPrint P8
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 07:04:11 GMT

I'm pretty sure that this is a Windows Only printer, although nothing in
its description led me to believe this before I bought it.  Does anyone
out there have one of these working, or am I SOL.

Craig.

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI v. IDE boot conflict (Linux-only system)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:42:35 -0700

On 8 Jul 1999, John McKown wrote:

> If I read things correctly, this will put LILO on the MBR of the IDE HD.
> But /dev/sda1 will still be your root file system. I'm fairly sure this
> should work. I hope it is helpful.

worked here - before I got rid of the IDE hd

  GErald

------------------------------

From: Greg Dickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diamond stealth III S540
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:01:14 +0800

Hi All

Has anyone got an idea on what driver I should use for a Diamond Stealth
III S540 AGP video Card

Thanks

Greg

--