From: "Chi K. Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rackmount cases
Date: 8 Jul 1999 19:25:33 GMT

Hi all,
I use industrial type wire shelve system to hold my computers.
The ones I use are from InterMetro, here is the breakdown
of the parts, 4-72" corner posts, 4-48"x18" wire shelves, and
4-casters.  Got everything from the local Pergarment, for about $170.
Just got a 5th shelf, but have not added to the unit yet, the shelves
are $20-$30 a pop, depends on the size.  I can put 6 to seven, mid-tower
or desktop cases (on it's side) per 48"x18' shelf.  Each shelf can hold
up to 500lb without casters or up 300lb with the casters.
The InterMetro shelves are considered name brand, cost a little more than
the clone stuff, but it is rated to carry more weight.  If you want
a chrome finish, it will cost a bit more, the ones I have is black,
they also come in white.  I'm very happy with the shelving I got, and
I think I got a good value for my money, it's more expensive than the
k-mart type wood pulp furniture (bookshelves, tv stand, stero rack, etc.)
but it much stronger, and quite a bit cheaper then a 19" rack system,
and I get lot more space.  Anyone else here use there InterMetro racks
for computers ?

Chi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyistİ)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:05:21 -0500

On 24 Jun 1999 17:54:36 GMT, Michal Jaegermann scrawled these sagacious
words ...

: : It definitely depends on what graphics driver you buy, although I'm a little
:surprised it
: : was that difficult, once you got the card in.  Normally, you install the card,
:reboot in
: : 640x480 mode,
:
: Yes, yes!  I know the theory.  In theory I can even do that myself.
: Only a practice is a bit different and I have seen a similar stuff on
: a number of occasions. :-)  This is called "Reboot, reboot, reboot and
: pray". The card in question, which was getting in, was one of Diamond
: S3 cards - BTW.  When I have seen that "procedure" for the first time
: I was surprised myself.  I did not realize that things are __that__ bad.

I've installed four video cards in win9x. Two on my system when I used to
run win9x and two on two other systems running win9x. I also installed
three video cards in NT.

In all instances, I changed the driver to a generic VGA in win9x as
instructed and booted to VGA in NT and instructed, booted and installed
the drivers and I was up a gone. Not a glitch. <sigh>

--
A Hobbyist.

I use what works best for me and not what works best
for others.

------------------------------

From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.informix,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: To RAID or not to RAID? -that is the question...
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:57:30 -0400

OK time for some ACCURATE information!  I know Obnoxio has been waiting
for me to join in.

Tony Platt wrote:

> Tony C wrote in message <931333286.482062@cacheraq001>...
> >Not even close :)
>
> well it helps if you give the RIGHT advice
>
> >Raid 5 is NOT mirroring. Raid 5 does an XOR of the data spread across
> >multiple drives and stores that result on the parity drive. The parity is
> >usually calculated at the block level and the data is stripped across the
> >drives in the Raid set. When a data drive fails, the data on that drive or
> >volume can be 'regenerated' by XORing the parity data with the data on the
> >surviving devices.

TRUTH!!!!!!!  Tony's comment about the parity striping is just WRONG.
The parity is not striped, unless we are just using different terms for
the same thing.  Here is the straight poop.

RAID5 is the same as RAID4 EXCEPT that instead of a dedicated parity
drive containing all of the parity blocks the parity block is rotated
round robin over all of the drives in the stripe-set.  So block 1's
parity may be on drive 5 (in a 5 drive RAID5 set) then block 2's parity
is on drive 1, block 3's parity on drive 2 etc. round and round.  RAID
5 always calculates, for a particular logical block, which drive
contains the data and which drive has the parity and reads ONLY the
corresponding block from those two drives.  Therefore the other N-2
drives in the RAID set are available for similar 2-at-a-time reads and
so RAID 5 performs better on small random reads than it's cousin RAID 4
which does better at sequential read since it always reads all N drives
every time.  Most RAID5 systems use a large RAID block size to improve
sequential read performance (64K+).  Unlike RAID3 and RAID4, RAID5 does
not EVER check or verify parity for data reads.  That means that if a
drive becomes flaky (that's a technical term) and the media begins to
return garbage (yes it can even happen on modern SCSI drives with
automatic sector remapping, lost remap lists are finite you know!) then
not only will the RAID5 set return garbage but when you write back the
parity will be recalculated with the garbage an become trash itself.

> Wrong, you are thinking of DATA guarding (RAID 4)
> Raid 5 Distributed Data Guarding stripes the parity data across ALL disks in
> the set (like the name says)
>
> Raid 5 offers
> Best protection

RAID 5 offers NO PROTECTION against multiple drive failure or against
partial media failure.  ONLY RAID1 and it's derivative RAID10 can be
called BEST PROTECTION.  If a RAID1 drive becomes flaky the mirror,
which is written independently, will be fine and can be used to build
a replacement for the flaky drive.

> Increased throughput

Over what?  Over singleton drives?  Yes.  Over RAID0?  No.  Over RAID1?
Yes.  Over RAID10?  No!  No! NO!

> Most cost effective

Actually exactly as cost effective as RAID3 and RAID4 which are better
for databases than RAID5.  Many RAID systems now calculate RAID3&4
parity in hardware on the controller so the main objection to RAID3&4
is no longer valid.  And RAID3&4 do NOT suffer from reduced write
performance as RAID5 does since all of the data blocks in a stripe
block are read together (drives are spindle locked) there is not
additional read needed to calculate parity before writing.  Since
parity and all data blocks are read concurrently for ALL reads RAID3&4
systems can, and most do, check parity on read which can trap and
correct most partial media failure problems at read time which is when
they are still correctable.

> Striping parity data generates redundant information that can be used for
> the following
>
> Detecting errors in stored or transmitted data

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
The RAID5 standard does not require, nor does anyone implement, parity
checking on reads to detect errors in stored data before transmittal to
the application.  Some RAID5 vendors have tried to work around this
very real problem by including, as DG Clariion does, block level parity
on every data block (DG includes 8 bytes of error correction code on
every disk block storing 520 bytes rather than 512 but the Clariion
firmware eats the parity bytes before returning data to the host) with
differing levels of success.  Even with this I have experienced data
loss from partial media failure on such RAID5 systems.

> Reconstructing flawed or missing data sectors

Nope.  RAID5 CANNOT DO THIS.  NEVER COULD.  NEVER WILL.

> Allowing more simultaneous read operations and higher performance than Data
> Guarding (Raid 4)

TRUTH.  (Hey even a broken clock...)  ;-)

> For example
> If a drive fails, the controller uses the parity data and the data on the
> remaining drives to reconstruct data from the failed drive. this allows the
> system to continue operating, although with a slightly reduced performance,
> until you replace the failed drive.

TRUTH.

> Distributed Data Guarding requires a logical drive with a minimum of 3
> physical drives. Therefore, in a logical drive containing 3 physical drives,
> distributed data guarding uses 33 % of the total logical drives storage
> capacity for fault tolerance, while a 14 drive configuration uses only 7
> percent.

More TRUTH.

Look for absolute best protection use RAID10, also known as RAID1+0
which is different from RAID01 or RAID0+1, which also gives the
absolute best performance and yes costs the absolute most $$$$$$.  That
is truth.  With the price of drives today there is little excuse to say:
"I cannot afford RAID10 I'll user RAID5".  If you absolutely cannot
afford the extra drives for RAID10 then use RAID3 or RAID4 which
provide improved write performance (up to 90% better) over RAID5 and
do not suffer from partial media failure problems.  You are still at
risk for losing more than one drive in a RAID set before rebuilding the
first down drive but if you are careful to use drives from different
manufacturer's lots you can reduce the risk of that somewhat.

Art S. Kagel

PS:  Happy now Obnoxio?  I just thought I'd stay out until the level of
disinformation had hit a high and then come in as the voice of reason.
That way I don't have to shout as loudly. :-)

------------------------------

From: "Henk Toorman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Mounting probelm extended VFAT 32
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:07:33 +0200

I can mount my C-drive which is a 16bits FAT primary partition.
But I have problem to mount the drives D and E which are part of the
extended partition which is 32 bit FAT..
No command seems to work.

Who can help me to solve this problem?

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA 66 Support
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:51:57 GMT

James Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I have to wonder if UDMA/66 was really a necessary development technically,
: or whether it was done to keep Promise/BusLogic and hard drive manufacturers
: in business.  By the time hard drives actually get round to using the
: UDMA/66 bandwidth, IDE hard drives will no longer be IDE, but will be
: running off FireWire/USB2 (or whatever has become Intel's flavour of the
: month at that point)....

very perceptive.

the best single drives can do its 20MB/sec or thereabouts.  hell, we
can't even saturate a scsi3 bus yet, let alone udma33 or 66.  LET
ALONE scsi ultra2 lvd ;-)

yes, the channel b/w is much MUCH faster than any drive can handle.
and since most folks don't gang many drives on the same channel, its
moot.  'marketing bits' they call it ;-)

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Making MPEG movies from AVI?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:57:42 GMT

In article <7m26st$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jeff Volckaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello Everybody,
>
>I have a hauppauge tuner card in my Redhat 6.0 system that i've been using
>XawTV with to watch TV.  I've been messing around with the AVI capture
>utility 'streamer' to make movies.  I'd like to compress these to MPEG
>movies and downloaded 'mpeg2encode'.
>
>I have three problems... the first is I can't get sound with streamer.  I
....<snip>...

>The third problem is I can't figure out how to convert the AVI movies to
>MPEG in mpeg2encode.  It wants a parameter file.  I copied one of the sample
>parameter files and they all want seperate files for each frame.  Anyone
>used this program before?

....<snip>...

        I used mpeg2encode once myself.  It was a very awkward thing to
use and I didn't get sound either.  However, you don't use it on AVI
files.  Looking in my old notes I captured video using something called
'stream' (don't remember where I got it but probably can be located at
http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml).  Now this stream
utility captured individual frames and wrote them as files, it's VERY
disk intensive.  From what I've heard, the way to go really is to use
compression a la mpeg,  and it almost demands a special hardware card
to do it in real time and there's not much, if any support for the more
advanced compression utilities in Linux right now.  However, I captured
to a small window about 20 seconds of video, created an mp3 video from
it, and my brother was able to view it on his Windows95 (or 98 I don't
know which) system.  (My brother hasn't seen the light yet, but I'm
working on him.)  Like I said, I didn't get sound, and basically abandoned
the whole business for the time being.

--
       ---- Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Can I "trick" WebPhone modem to use ADSL connection?
Date: 8 Jul 1999 20:30:54 GMT

I'm a hardware newbie, so I'm not sure this is possible, but:
I have a Cidco "WebPhone" that I'd like to trick into using its internal
modem to connect thu my Linux box via an existing ADSL connection.  That
is, instead of having the WebPhone dial out using the phone line, I'd like
to trick it to connect directly (to save the dial-up/connect time delay and
avoid tying up my single POTS line).  I assume the solution will involve
linking the WebPhone modem to a modem in the linux box (via phone line,
possibly thru some kind of electronics to fake the dial tone/DTMF stuff).

Any chance in heck that this will work?  Anybody hacked something together
in a lab somewhere that will allow this?

-Mike
--
Michael Young

From: asrmj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The definitive ZOOM Diamond 2800 SVD SupraExpress ISA 33.6 PnP internal modem
install!
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:17:56 +0000

The definitive ZOOM Diamond 2800 SVD SupraExpress ISA 33.6 PnP internal modem
install!

After reading all the HOWTOs, manpages and newsgroups and trying to configure
my modem for days, I found a way to set it up, and here it is:

1. Under Windows the modem was at io=0x03e8 and irq=10. I *left* the BIOS set
as PnP and rebooted under linux.

2. I checked that this io and this irq weren't attributed to any device, using:

        cat /proc/ioports
        cat /proc/interrupts

2. Now, I did this:

        pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

3. Then I edited /etc/isapnp.conf to make two changes:

        a) Setting it with io=0x03e8 and irq=10.
        b) Disabling the "(CHECK)" feature.

ex:

..
#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Fixed IO base address 0x03e8
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
  (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
  (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +L)))
..
..
  (ACT Y)
..

Note that I deleted the "(CHECK)" put there by pnpdump -- this should be safe
since I did those checks myself in step 1 (if you don't do this, you might
get "io conflicts"). Here, the "(ACT Y)" line at the end of the file
must be uncommented.

4. Now, I did:

        isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

5. And finally I set the serial port's parameters:

        setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0x3e8-0x3f5 irq 10

6. I left the file /etc/isapnp.conf where it was. Now, on startup the modem
should be automatically recognised, but the "setserial" line in step 5 must be
executed each session before using the modem for the first time.

Remark: if this doesn't function, it should with a few modifications here and
there depending on what is in your linux's initialization files and whatever
changes you did before trying this. In any case, if it still doesn't work or
kills your PC or something it's your fault not mine. I can't be liable for any
damages resulting from this.

asrmj

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Axe)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Mounting probelm extended VFAT 32
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 20:23:48 GMT

I think that's where vfat comes in.  I'm pretty sure that's the
filesystem type for fat32, but it may not be.. Do a man fstab to get
the common filesystem types.  That should take care of you.

------------------------------

From: Clarence Riddle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: help: RH 5.2 can not install from scsi cdrom
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:39:05 -0500

I'm running RH5.2  on a scsi system. If you can't boot from the cdrom,
you'll have to make a boot floppy with the 'rawrite' utility on the
cdrom.

cgr

From: Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Speakers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:56:27 -0400

Actually, as far as I know, it's not quite the same as a winmodem.  There
are at least developers working on USB equipment to get it working (plus,
from my understanding, the sound coming out of USB speakers is VERY GOOD).
THere are no developers (nor will there ever be, IMHO) who are working on
winmodem hardware.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 21:05:42 GMT

In article <Rd8h3.6529$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i
>diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:48:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael) wrote:
>>
>> >a celeron with 128 cache is sufficient for gamers, but its not for
>> >business use with numerous multiple windows open.  To deny this is to
>> >deny the effect of main memory speed on the processor.
>>
>> Nonsense.  The extra cache of the k6-3 does you no good whatsover for
>> having "numerous multiple windows open."  Do  you really think that
>> the extra peasly 128k helps with this?  Not.
>>

>I indeed thinks he's right. Just built a K6-III 450 system for a friend, and
>I must say it responds quicker and "feels" faster overall compared to my
>PIII at 504. That is, of course, in non-FPU intensive apps.

Now all we need is a celeron owner with k63 experience to report back:)
Seeing as how the only l2 cache difference is the size.

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: computers store in stereo rack
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:31:48 -0700

Sorry to start this thread. I was going to follow up on a similar
thread last night, but netscape crashed, and today, I cannot find that
thread.

The question was will there be overheating problem to keep computers
in a stereo rack, the answer is no; especially if you choose something
with around two inches or so of free space all around the computer,
and choose one that have large opening at the back, or you can modify
the back.

Alex Lam.

--
*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.