Linux-Hardware Digest #715, Volume #10            Fri, 9 Jul 99 13:13:28 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Viper 770 ("J. Blair")
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Brian Hartman)
  Re: Resizing partitions on the fly? (Wolfrider)
  Video Card Recommendation? (Flash)
  TV Card Recommend Request (Jon Beniston)
  Re: Tyan S1837UANG Motherboard Compatibility (Devon Taylor)
  Diamond Video Card Compatibility (David Kelly)
  Re: Resizing partitions on the fly? ("Vikram")
  scsi tape backup recommendations (root)
  Re: [Help!] X window setup for Trident 3DImage 9850 AGP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Multiprocessing for Webserver using Apache/JServ with Servlets (Jimmie Houchin)
  Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux (Marc Mutz)
  Re: scsi disk is not auto-detected during boot. (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: laser-printer for linux ("Richard Lewin")
  Re: How much space for each partition? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: 400GB disk, tape hardware required for RH 6.0 Intel (Marc Mutz)
  Modem trouble STILL... ("ZombieSeed")
  HP DeskJet610C works? ("ph")
  Re: Reboot with APM Problem (Devon Taylor)
  Re: IDE ZIP Drive ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Sound Blaster PCI 128 (Harold Oga)

From: "J. Blair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Viper 770
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:16:28 -0500

don't have it, think i'm going to get that card...BUT, nvidia (the chip
manuf.) has made some 2d and 3d (?) accelerated drivers for it and the
rivia128 series chips.  go to www.nvidia.com and look under resource, then
drivers for the latest info.  you'll need the latest xfree86 (3.3.3.1), too.
btw, the viper 770 is powered by the tnt2 chip.  that may come in handy.
again, don't know much more...haven't set it up.
cheersjimmy

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:08:35 -0400

I can't and won't defend M$ product support.  However, the sources of support are far
more numerous for M$ than for Linux.  Besides the
Usenet newsgroups, there are countless articles in mainstream computer magazines
catered to solving problems in both Windows and its apps.
My experience of Linux is that you're limited essentially to Usenet and chat groups.
(Again, there are notable exceptions to this rule, but
not many).  My argument continues to be that if you're not paying for the product, the
programmer has no reason to support it, other than the
kindness of his/her own heart.

------------------------------

From: Wolfrider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Resizing partitions on the fly?
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:20:54 +0000

--Ok, here's what I did: (Note - DO NOT DO THIS PROCEDURE for any
CRITICAL SYSTEM FILES such as /sbin, /bin, etc...  These files NEED to be on
the root partition!)

1. ' mkdir /mnt.usr.bin '
  ' mkdir /mnt.usr.doc '
  ' mkdir /mnt.usr.lib '
  ' mkdir /mnt.usr.local.netscape ' (If applicable)

2.  In order, for each dir:
  ' cd /usr/bin '
  ' cp -av . /mnt.usr.bin ' == Copy to new location; you must follow these two
steps EXACTLY or you will end up with files in the wrong place!

  ' cd /mnt.usr.bin; ls -al ' == Make sure
  ' du -cs /usr/bin; du -cs /mnt.usr.bin ' == Make doubly sure

  ' rm -rv /usr/bin ' == What, you think I'm gonna add the -f by default??
  ' rmdir /usr/bin '
  ' ln /mnt.usr.bin /usr/bin -sfn '

--Lemme know if this works for you; it may save you having to resize your
partitions.

Wolfrider wrote:

> --I had a similar problem.  (Did you use ' df '?)
>
> --Will try to help more after I get home from work, but basically I
> ended up making a symlink from ' /usr/doc ' (as well as some other
> things in /usr) to subdirs in ' / ', and moved some things with
> ' tar ' and ' rm ' virtually out of /usr to the root partition.
>
> --For resizing partitions on the fly, the industry std is
> http://www.powerquest.com/en/partitionmagic/index.html == Partition
> Magic.
>
> In article <7m3ec8$653$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Jonathan del Strother" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hiya....
> > OK...after about a week of solid fixing, figuring out & frustation, I
> have a
> > reasonably working Mandrake 6 Linux box......
> > BUT...I tried to install something else - no space left on the /usr
> > drive...After a lot of figuring (why is it so damn hard to find how
> much
> > free space you have in linux?) I discovered that my root partition has
> 250
> > MB odd free.....AAAAAAAAAARGH
> >
> > OK, so a bit of short sighted / newbie - ness on my part, but do I
> really
> > have to do the entire thing from scratch. or are there any utilities
> > resize the 2 partitions on the fly?  Are there any other solutions -
> > spreading the /usr dir over the 2 partitions??
> >
> > I have win98 on 1 hard disk, & linux on the other, in 3 partitions
> (root,
> > usr, & swap)
> >
> > Any ideas, comment, suggestions?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Jonathan
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Terminal Linux Newbie
> >

> --
> Visit my Linux Tips site:
> http://members.xoom.com/rootski/linuxtips.html

==WolfriderV6, VROC #59(R)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Flash)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Video Card Recommendation?
Date: 9 Jul 1999 15:21:56 GMT

Hi, I m finally getting around to replacing my 2Mb video card, and I am
looking for a recommendation.

This is what I run on the machine

Windowmaker 0.60.0 on XFree86
RH Linux 5.2, kernel 2.2.x
Viewsonic 19" Monitor
Pentium 200
64Mb RAM
PCI Bus only.

I would like to get the most out of my new, beautiful Viewsonic G790, and
increase my resolution to maybe 1280x1024, 24bit color.

I would like to stick to around $150.

If anyone can give me a good recommendation for a card that is very
XFree86-friendly, PCI, and will support high refresh rates and
resolutions, I would be most grateful.

From: Jon Beniston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV Card Recommend Request
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:21:42 GMT

Hi,
 I'm interested if anyone can suggest a TV card. Quality and not price
is the most important consideration. Are there any cards that dont use
the VGA output?

Cheers,
Jon.

------------------------------

From: Devon Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Tyan S1837UANG Motherboard Compatibility
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 12:00:57 -0400

I am running Red Hat 6.0 and it detects my Adaptec AIC-7896. I use the IBM
UltraStar 9LZX Hard Drive. My motherboard is the Supermicro P6DBU.

-Devon

------------------------------

From: David Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Video Card Compatibility
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:58:49 +1000

I have Redhat linux 5.2 and a Diamond Stealth II S220 video card.

My problem is this video card is not listed as compatible with version 5.2
but it is with version 6.  Is there any way to install/use this video card
without upgrading to version 6?  Is there just an upgraded rpm package
which I can use with Xconfigurator which knows about this video card?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

David

------------------------------

From: "Vikram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:31:38 +0530

Don't worry buddy.there are utilities that help you to partition on the fly.
Check out : Partition Magic from Powerquest which also comes with a boot
loader and also
consider V communications System COmmander .

You could also try freeware like FIPS available with most distros,

I would strongly suggest you go for Caldera Open Linux (Latest Version)
which comes bundled with Partition Magic and is extremely easy to use.In
fact I felt its easier than red Hat Linux 6.0.

I strongly suggest you move to Caldera Open Linux...Its too good !!!

Yo...Good Luck . . .
Vikram

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: scsi tape backup recommendations
Date: 09 Jul 1999 08:25:47 PDT

I am looking to procure a scsi tape drive to backup a small network of
computers.
The total capacity of the tape needs to be 10-25 GB for unattended
backup.

What have hardware and software have people been using for tape backup,
and how well has it worked?  Right now I am leaning to a 25 MB native
ADR
drive with amanda as the backup software.

tia

Jeremy Nussbaum ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: [Help!] X window setup for Trident 3DImage 9850 AGP
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:19:48 GMT

I know you are looking for help your self, but maybe you can help me.  I
have the same video card (would you believe there are two of us) and I
can not set up X Windows.  If you were able to get it at all I would
love to know how.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jimmie Houchin)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Re: Multiprocessing for Webserver using Apache/JServ with Servlets
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 14:54:17 GMT

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:45:56 +0100, "James Young"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jimmie Houchin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> The webapp is currently under development. But based on my current
>> stage of analysis and design I am anticipating it being potentially
>> highly cpu intensive because of the large database 25-75gb+ and the
>> database searches.
>
>Ahh, so it's not REALLY your average webserver, it's really a database
>server.
>
>Hmm.  Are you really sure you want to do this all on one machine?  IMHO
>you'd be better off splitting the webserving and database serving tasks
>between two machines.  You wouldn't need a particularly fast computer to do
>the webserving.  For the database server, by all means go with SMP - you'll
>probably find it helps a great deal, although the critical bottleneck would
>be the I/O system - what are you intending to use for the I/O?
>
>Marm

It will most likely have to start on one machine. I will develop the
app in a manner which will enable it to be distributed on multiple
machines when able.

I will have to give the two machine setup some thought. Especially if
the webserver side does not have to be as powerful as the database
server. Thanks.

I am not sure I understand the I/O question. I am new to building such
a system. If you are refering to my connection to the ISP it will be
with a 3com 3c905b NIC, colocating at his site.

If you are refering to the hard disks it will be a RAID 10 system.

Thanks for your reply.

Jimmie Houchin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:50:12 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I tried to install linux 2.2.5 on a IBM
> DNES309170W (9GB) with adaptec 3940U (bips V.1.24)
> but it hangs. Mounting the disk from a
> working linux installation shows (after some
> read/write accesses) the same result.
> Are there limitations for the size with the
> current drivers or is this a bios problem?
> Any hint would help. Thanks in advance.

What does the syslog say?

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS), 0x31748570 (DH)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:45:08 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: scsi disk is not auto-detected during boot.

Carsten Cimander wrote:

> as you obviously need the scsi-adapter at boot time to have access
> to you disks I recommend to compile the scsi driver into the kernel
> and not to load it as a module.
<snip>
> > Here is my problem:
> >
> > The SCSI bus is not been auto-detected during the boot process. By loading
> > the module manually
<snip>

Well, he couldn't load the module manually, if he had not booted from
the IDE disk...

Marc

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:24:29 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?

Jay Patrick Howard wrote:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Dean Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Oops!   my default browser is IE.    My office system is a P166MMX, so I
> : tried it here.   Netscape 4.01 goes to lunch and takes the rest of the day
> : off.  IE comes back in less than a second (this is with the 13 nested
> : tables).
>
> As much as I hate to say it, Kudos to MS then.  At least they were able to
> implement this one thing correctly.
Has someone tried Gecko* on them?

My estimate: 0.5s

Marc

*renderer of NS 5.0: fast, small, best implementation (nearly perfect)
of CSS1(+1?)

From: "Richard Lewin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: laser-printer for linux
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:52:55 +0200

I have an HP LaserJet 1100 and it works fine (with Ghostscript ljet4
device).  It is a bit slower than under Windows but other than that I am
very happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Richard Lewin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:38:31 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How much space for each partition?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  As for SuSE, I love it.  Alot of options, power and
> some excellant sysadmin and configuration tools (YAST) makes life alot
> easier.
Have you ever tried to upgrade SuSE?

Marc

PS: don't!

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:48:25 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 400GB disk, tape hardware required for RH 6.0 Intel

Richard Prout wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If anyone could suggest hardware/drivers to use for a 400GB disk array
> and associated tape I would be very happy.  Thanks in advance.
DLT drives store up to 70G. Above begins the realm of off-mainstream and

Marc

From: "ZombieSeed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem trouble STILL...
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:52:02 -0400

I got a modem from my friend (CommWave PnP) and Linux still isn't
recognizing anything. Is it even possible to set up a PnP modem in Linux???

1.) The modem works under windows on COM3 (3E8) IRQ 4. Why does Linux think
it's under COM4 (/dev/ttyS3 port 2E8) and IRQ 3??

2.) I've done these steps with isapnptools:
            pnpdump > isapnp.conf
            find and uncomment 0x03e8 and IRQ 4; save
            isapnp isapnp.conf
            (with this new modem, it says "error... add (VERIFYLD N)
            to top of script" so I did that, no errors)
            run minicom... nothing.

3.) When isapnptools didn't work, I figured it's because Linux thinks my
modem is on COM4 instead of COM3 like it's supposed to be (so I try to
switch the ports and irqs). I typed "setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0x03e8 irq 4.
Ran minicom... nothing. I figured since I made ttyS3 have a port of 0x03e8,
it might conflict with ttyS2, so I tried "setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x02e8
irq 3". Still nothing...

I know for a fact both of these modems work. Is there something I'm missing,
doing wrong, or something else I'm supposed to type??

Anything I read (redhat.com's HOW-TO) doesn't give good enough
explanations... does someone have an example of what they typed or did to
get their PnP modem to work?

Thanks...

BTW - I don't know much about ports and irqs and stuff, so if I need to
change something like that, please give an example.

------------------------------

From: "ph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP DeskJet610C works?
Date: 9 Jul 1999 15:19:34 GMT

I was going to buy a deskjet 695C (fully supported under linux), but it has
been replaced by dj610C. Well, this could be a good thing (price 30% less
...) but i can't get any compatibility information for linux use. If
someone knows...

From: Devon Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reboot with APM Problem
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 12:02:29 -0400

Try www.cheapbytes.com. Everyone I know buys from them. And everything
they have is really cheap!

-Devon

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE ZIP Drive
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:59:23 -0500

Susan wrote:

> I have seen conflicting information on the net about support for
> IDE Zip drives. I am buying a new system and I would like
> to have it configured with an internal IDE drive because it
> is a cheaper solution than SCSI.
>
> The new system will have NT installed (for the wife) and I
> plan to install Redhat. If support is not available today, do
> you think there will be support in the near future? Any advise
> is appreciated.

IDE Zips are supported.  I've used several.

Unfortunately there is a bug in the kernel shipping with Red Hat 6.0
which causes problems with an IDE Zip drive.  Don't let that put you
off, though: wait for the official patch, download an unofficial patch,
use an older release (RH 5.2 is excellent), or try a different
distribution.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas