  Re: Recompile Kernel in Redhat 5.0 (Stuart R. Fuller)

From: Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 10 Jul 1999 00:11:10 -0500

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: People don't report failures as they do with successes, so reading the
: newsgroup is not a good indication of ratio.

Actually, failures may get reported more often than sucesses.  How many
"My Celeron 366 won't do 550 - Help!" messages have you seen lately?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 10 Jul 1999 05:43:23 GMT

In <7m6kle$oqp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Chris Robato Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: People don't report failures as they do with successes, so reading the
>: newsgroup is not a good indication of ratio.
>
>Actually, failures may get reported more often than sucesses.  How many

Not in my experience.   It's sort of like pride vs. shame.

Rgds,

Chris

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:02:32 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

I have to agree with Chris on this one.   I don't know about the psychology
of it, but based upon the number of 'failures' I heard about when selling
product, and the number I saw posted on usenet (vs. successes), it made my
life very difficult.   Far too many people having extremely high
expectations, and always blaming the product when it didn't function like it
did for 'everyone else'...

Regards,
    Dean

From: "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:03:31 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel

I'll wager a bet that it isn't anywhere *near* the number that get returned
as 'defective' with nary a post.

Regards,
    Dean

From: "Asim Shankar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal Modem
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:31:29 +0530

You're right,
it is NOT a Winmodem.

However, the jumpers can be used to set the IRQ only. Will that help a great
deal considering that it is probably IRQ3 anyway as Windows thinks.

Even so, how exactly do I configure the modem?

Thanx,

-- Asim

Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Wouldn't be so sure about that. IIRC USR actually labelled their winmodems
as
such. I wish other manufacturers would do the same.

Also... (but I may be wrong here) the USR Sportster PnP cards could be
jumpered too.

-- Michael
(still using a non-PnP USR 28k8 card that's a little long in the tooth)

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, James wrote:

> I think this internal modem is a Winmodem, and, as it,
> it's not a real modem. In fact, those pseudo-modems
> work with software and this softs are not developped
> for Linux by the manufacturer. Winmodem emulate a
> real modem thanks to CPU (the software). So, I'm
> really sad to tell you that your "modem" will never work
> under Linux, except if the manufacturer provide the soft !
> Sorry.
>

> Asim Shankar a écrit dans le message <7m1fpt$jup$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have an internal ISA Plug-N-Play USRobotics 33.6Kbps FAX modem.
> >I just installed Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
> >
> >How do I get the modem working in Linux??
> >
> >I retrieved some info from the Windows' Device Manager, namely the IO
> >addresses and IRQ for the modem, if that helps. It's also assigned COM3
in
> >Windows.
> >
> >IO - 03E8-03EF
> >IRQ - 5
> >
> >Please tell me how to get this modem functional for Kppp etc.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >-- Asim Shankar

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell    [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recompile Kernel in Redhat 5.0
Date: 09 Jul 1999 16:21:22 -0700

you must not be in the right place--you should be in /usr/src/linux, where
'linux' is a sysmlink to the actual source tree.  What do you see when
typing 'ls -l' in /usr/src?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GRAVIS PC GAMEPAD
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:59:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ben wrote:
> > -- but then it could not detect my joystick,
>
> > its plugged into the back of a PCI sound blaster -- could
> > these be the problem?
>
> Maybe thats your problem... I've also got a Soundblaster PCI 64. That
> card is used with ALSA on the 2.0.33 kernel. When I do
>
> cat /proc/asound/card1/audiopci
>
> I find the following:
>
> Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
>
> Joystick enable  : off
> Joystick port    :
>
> This probably explains why I couldn't get a joystick to work, but I
> haven't found out how to enable the joystick port on this card.
>
> regards Henrik
> --
> spammer strikeback:
> root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

After a VERY LONG time searching and searching for the answer to this
problem, I was FINALLY able to figure it out.  I found in the Mini-FAQ a
section about specifying the joystick port on certain cards, but nothing
about an ensoniq audiopci card.  It said that the joystick parameter for
these cards was snd_jport.  Well, I tried snd_jport with the es1371
module, and it didn't work.  It said it was an invalid parameter.  I was
unable to find this anywhere, but I took a wild stab at it and tried:

insmod es1371 joystick=0x200

and lo and behold, it worked!  All I had to do next was:

insmod joystick
insmod joy-gravis

and voila!  It works!!!!  I can play SNES9X with my Gravis Gamepad Pro
now!  :)  I would imagine that the joystick=<port> parameter would work
with other modules as well.  Good luck!

Regards,

Jorge Sierra

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen M. Caplan)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 10 Jul 1999 07:08:45 GMT

David T. Wang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> "synchronous" itself has no real meaning in the SMP environment, as the
> processors have (usually) different loads, and they make drastically different
> request to I/O, memory etc.  The only thing that was ever "synchronous"
> between them is the memory bus speed.  That has to be synchronous, and
> the multipliers need not be the same.  (although you introduce a variable
> which is not exhaustively tested, and may be fully buggy)

> So at the interface which the CPU's "talk" to each other, that interface is
> still fully "synchronous".  Internal to each CPU, the clock signals are
> not themselves internally synchronized between the two CPU's.

  The clock signal is generated on the motherboard, not on the CPUs.  So with
  a common multiplier the CPUs will be synchronized to the same clock.
  Processes and CPU load has nothing to do with this.  No matter what
  the CPUs are doing, be it crunching numbers, or sitting "idle", they are
  still ticking along at a frequency defined by the bus speed and the clock
  multiplier.

  However, I have come to accept that it is a synchronous bus that matters,
  not synchronized CPUs.  It seems to be reasonable now, but when I first
  heard it suggested, I had a very suspicious gut reaction.

--
Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Myc)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:50:45 GMT

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:48:09 -0700, Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Um, just to jump into the fray here...

I've been attempting to get both linux and win98 to co-exist
peacefully on my computer for the past few days, and based on my
experience with both, it seems that for the truly uninitiated niether
OS is really easy to install. PnP under windows doesn't always work
flawlessly, and not every newbie is going to be able to find,
download, and install drivers and patches for any given hardware. On
the other hand, I thought that redhat had very little problems in
terms of driver detection and usage (modprobe is quite nice imho), but
was more difficult in terms of 'low-level' things, like drive
partitioning, bootloaders, etc.

As far as the support issue goes, have you ever tried to call MS
support? hahaha. Linux support might take a bit of effort to locate,
but it's all there; usenet, webpages, IRC, mailing lists, etc. There
has yet to be a problem for linux where I have been unable to find a
solution to, one way or another, while I still can't figure out why
netscape crashes in windows sometimes (well, I know WHY, I don't know
how :) heck, I was even able to find docs on how to get unsupported
hardware (unsupported in my distro) to work on linux, and the typical
windows support answer is, your hardware is too old, upgrade it, or
the hardware is unsupported, don't use it.

I think one reason windows is so popular with the general public is
because OEM's preinstall windows on so many off-the-shelf systems. If
some OEM (and some do now) pre-installed something like Caldera or
SuSE (with KDE) or RedHat (with GNOME), so that my grandmother can
take the box home, plug it in, and can start surfing the web and
reading her e-mail almost immediately, linux would give windows a run
for it's money. There's no doubt that it's techincally superior (# of
reboots to re-install windows: 4, additional disks needed, 4. # of
reboots to re-install redhat:1, additional disks needed, none. Which
OS do YOU want to re-install today?), and with software like
Enlightenment, KDE, and GNOME, it's also easy to use and it looks much
better too! Did I mention that linux is basically free?!? You can
easily imagine that somewhere down the road, these GUI's will be
stable and advanced enough such that a distro can be made that only
has a GUI, and the console is locked away, only for the sysadmin to
use. In fact, redhat 6 is very close to this ideal.  The only
difference would be the amount of software available, and that can
(and is) changing rapidly as well.

cheers,

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Jae Il \"Joker\" Ko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:29:12 -0400

Hey all,
    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

--
-Jae Il "Joker" Ko
.

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2 SMP brief lockups
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 05:40:06 GMT

what ether card are you using?  have you tried swapping it?  maybe
changing irq's?

Myca-Boo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Howdy folks,

: I have a dual PII tyan thunder II that I run kernel 2.2.10 on.  With SMP enabled,
:and both CPU's loaded (two setiathome clients) I can watch xosview freeze up briefly
:until a packet comes in from the network and interrupts it.  I've seen it freeze up
:in the middle of a kernel compile and then unfreeze as soon as I ping it.  Has anyone
:had this type of problem?  I've experienced it from 2.2.2 on up and I'm not sure if
:it's a hardware problem or not.  this same machine did not exhibit this problem with
:NT
(previous operator).

: thanks for the help,

: Dave

: Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: --
: Linux, the choice of a GNU generation

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 10 Jul 1999 03:03:47 -0500

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Dean Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I have to agree with Chris on this one.   I don't know about the psychology
: of it, but based upon the number of 'failures' I heard about when selling
: product, and the number I saw posted on usenet (vs. successes), it made my
: life very difficult.   Far too many people having extremely high
: expectations, and always blaming the product when it didn't function like it
: did for 'everyone else'...

I dunno...just seems like there have been alot of people lately asking for
help with their unresponsive 366s.  Of course, there've been lots of
success stories too, so its hard to say.

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 08:26:20 GMT

Actually I have the same problem with RH6 except for audio CD.  I used Xmms and it
got segmentation fault message on the shell.  G2 also has no luck.  I hope creative
lab will get
the patch works for RH6....  Everything is working fine on 5.2 (kernel-2.0.36
?) though

Bono

------------------------------

From: "Charismo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:42:49 +1200

About the same as 3dnow!, 20 odd. Could be getting on 30, but most
definitely NOT 80 or whatever they say ISSE is. Talk about Intel being
bastard marketers....
Anton

news:7m6ef7$f2c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Khyber Zaffarkhan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech 3 button MouseMan on a SPARCstation 5
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:36:46 -0500

I'm running Linux 6.0 (Redhat flavor) on a SPARCstation 5 (MicroSPARC II
processor). We couldn't seem to find any of the 8 pin bus mice that plug
into the keyboard port so we are trying to adapt a Logitech 3 button
MouseMan PS/2 mouse to a 9-pin adapter to a 25 pin adapter to the COM port
on the SPARC Station. I can seem to get GNOME or the XServer to recognize
it. Can anyone help please? I am very new to running Linux, and even on a
SPARC for that matter.

I guess I have two questions overall. 1) How do I get GNOME or the system
overall to recognize the mouse?
2) Where can I pick up a 8-pin mouse to plug into the bus if I cannot do #1?

I'd prefer to be able to use the Logitech mouse first :)

Thanks In Advance
-Khyber

A monk asked Chao-chou, "Has the dog Buddha nature or not?"
Chao-chou said "Mu." (Mu means "null," "void," or "zero")

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:54:58 GMT

In article <7m674j$441$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>>Not really.  Like I said, the K6-3's performance is much more consistent
>>>than a dual Celeron, where sometimes you're faster, but a lot of times,
>>>you're much slower as well.
>>
>>Now, now, Chris, much slower?:)  "got my Celeron oc'ed to 550 is when the
>>Celeron more or less starts feeling a bit equal".
>
>Celeron oc'ed at 550 doing SMP are not consistent.  I've seen reports of
>problems.

single vs single, as you've pointed out, isn't that bad.  & then smp
kicks in... & btw, how 'bout those reports url's.

>>>It does.  You need to particularly look for week 14-25 Malay PPGA
>>>Celeron 366, and many retailers are not interested to inform you what
>>
>>week 14-25 Malay PPGA are already known to be good overclockers which does
>>not imply all others aren't.  It's just those are the known ones from people
>>buying them & reporting back.
>
>Slot 1 366s are forgetable.   Overclocking 400-466 Celerons with 75 and
>83MHz bus speed is for me considered unacceptable due to the long term
>damage on hard drives and file systems from overclocked IDE bus.
>People don't report failures as they do with successes,

Can't say I've ever heard of damaged hard drives from overclocking.
People/sites report success & failure all the time(try storagereview).
& % of successful overclocking could just as easily be worded as % of
unsuccessful overclocking by subtracting the first % from 100.  r-a-t-i-o:)

>so reading the newsgroup is not a good indication of ratio.

I wasn't basing a ratio off newsgroup responses but refering to polls & tests
on websites(not MY ratio's either).  Anybody remember that one site where
the guy was a vendor & was testing the celerons he was selling?  He had made
a chart of speed grades crossed with voltage settings & % of success/fail.

>Many dealers are not
>cooperative as to why the hell you want to view the chip numbers at the
>back, and it's hard to get that information out from mail order firms.
>I tracked my Celeron by tracking which local dealer running out of their
>Celeron inventory, so I would know that when their next Celeron shipment
>arrives, it would be new stock.

It's also been said that newer cpu's are good as a general case.  Some people
have estimated 80%. but then it's just an estimation.

>Some dealers are no longer stocking 333s and 366s.

& many still are.  no issue here.

>>>exactly is their stock.  You also need a slotket with adjustable
>>>voltage, and even there, you still have to take a crap shot.
>>
>>Not if one went with an abit bp6(which is damn appealing even w/o it's dual
>>capability).
>
>I don't consider Abit to be an alternative for my uses.  For me, FIC and
>Abit are unacceptable due to their relatively high RMA rates (returns).
>I'll put Soyo, Asus, Chaintech, and AOpen ahead of Abit for reliability,
>especially since I eventually move my platforms into business
>deployment.

Poopooing again Chris?:)  Abit havn't been/aren't the only ones coming out with
socket 370 boards you know:)

>>>You practically have to burn in your Celeron at 2.3v or 2.4v for a period of
>>>time, before you can back down to 2.2v.  And of course, if you burn it
>>>out, there is no warranty from overclocking is there.
>>
>>If we're already at the point of overclocking, the risk of increased voltage
>>is moot as far as warranty is concerned(already decided we don't need no
>>stinkn warranty:)
>
>Not an alternative for recommendation for other users.

Your the one who recommends one practically has to burn in ones celeron:)

>>>and you will see that on many benchmarks, particularly
>>>with games
>>
>>Ooo-who:) games, do you really wanna go there?
>
>Yes.  Besides Q3Test is just an alpha.   I will admit the value of SMP
>for game servers for lan parties, but forget about SMP for the rest of
>the games.

I'm not even talking about smp, but single vs single.  Are you going to claim
that the k63 vs celeron agregate game performance is comparable?  Burden of
proof on you.  Not a few instances, but on the whole(agregate).  #'s where k63
is even in spitting distance is good enough.  But I'll say it now: the celeron
is easily the better gaming cpu.  I can't count the # of times where my k6-2
300 sucked air where it shouldn't have if it had been up to p2 performance
level.

>>>and ZDNet application benchmarks among others, dual
>>>processing meant squat.
>>
>>yep, word proccessing & it's ilk.  Now, are they speed limited?  & then you
>>ask, well then, which apps are?  & then you ask, well, do duals help THOSE
>>apps out?  & as we've already gone over, for many of them, yes.  This applies
>>to the consistency issue you speak of.
>
>No.  For most of them, just no.   Look at those ARSTechnica benchmarks
>again.  Note that these are recent ZDNet benchmarks, which often run
>multiple processes simultaneously, and these benchmarks are well known
>to have evolved to this manner from earlier, single processing ZDNet
>benches, primarily suspected aimed to give an advantage for PII caches.
>What advantage does SMP have there?  ZDNet benches are supposed to
>represent the average Windows enviroment with its most commonly used
>applications.

1st  single threaded bus. winstone 99: no speed gain, no suprise.
2nd, multi threaded winstone 99: 29.5%
3rd, single threaded high end: no gain.
4th, list of individual apps performance: 3 multithreaded, 4 single. guess.
 vc mp: 39.8%
 sound forge: minute
 premiere: minute
 photoshop mp: 35.5%
 microstation se mp: 22%
 frontpage 98: minute
 avs/express: minute
5th, cpumark: not benching 2nd cpu.
6th, fpumark: not benching 2nd cpu.
7th, disk, slight gain.
8th, graphics, no gain.
9th, photoshop 30mb file, multi threaded: 30%
10th, ||        100mb file, ||: 3%
11th, ||        30mb lighting effect: none
12th, ||        100mb ||: 2%
13th, linux compile: 71%
14th, quake 2 8x6: none
15th, ||     10x7: none

Four out of seven is pretty thin ratio to try to pull off a comment like "No.
For most of them, just no." don't ya think?:)  Doesn't matter, as these are NOT
run in multiple processes like you claim but are benchmark results of the
individual apps performance.  Guess what happens when you multitask?  you
guessed it, those single threaded apps running in their own process gets
shuffled off to one on each processor.  btw, I saw a discussion about how k63
256k cache is better at multitasking because of it's size.  vs a single celeron
that should be true, but we're talking about a dual celeron here & that not
only means two processing cores but 2x128k cache, the same as a k63.

btw, cpureview got around to putting up a dual celeron linux compile time:
http://cpureview.com/art_smp_f.html. 77.4%(183% utilization) vs k63's 23.5%:)
The test is compiling the linux kernal but the performance is indicative of
everything that's compiled or assembled using a makefile.  & his system only
had 64MB of memory!(I seem to recall an argument that one would have to spend
extra $ on a larger amount of memory than a k63 would need in order to attain
such performance(acutally, I also seem to recall it was argued such performance
wasn't realistic or obtainable:)  moot point regardless with such low memory
prices.  btw did everyone notice 128MB pc100 dimms just jumped +$10
recently!?).

>>>Plus there is no 100% guarantee that a dual Celeron will work reliably
>>>everytime and without problems, so again, that's a crap shot.
>>
>>Yeah, but by user reports, they're good odds.
>
>You cannot deny a K6-III 450 working on its rated
>speed and delivering its vaunted performance is practically a guaranteed

Don't think anyone ever has.  That is, no one's argued 'a k63 is not as
fast as a k63!':)

>and much better odds than dual Celerons,

Well, there's overclocking odds & odds that there's multithreaded &/or
multiprocess enhancements for the type of apps you want to use or will be
helped out in general from the os being smp aware.  That a k63 is as fast as a
k63 one would regard as a baseline.  Odds come into play with betting you'll
get astoundingly better performance(dual oc'd), much better performance(dual),
roughly the same(oc'd), or 23.5% less than(can't oc, doesn't take advantage of
duals) with inbetween gradients of performance where duals come into play
depending on how well dual support is implemented.

With oc odds as good as they are, dual potential as great as it is, & with
worst case scenario performance nothing to cry about, no wonder so many find it
appealing.  In short, the highs are higher & lows aren't that low; & I would
argue, has a much better average.  What would take some of the 'wind out of
duals sails' is if the k63's low(fpu) wasn't LOW.  But it is, so bring on the
duals or bring on the k7.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:00:03 GMT

William Horton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I get "No rule to make target "menuconfig'. Stop. Same for xconfig or
: config. I need help. The books are no help. - Bill

At least 2 possibilities:

        - you need to be in /usr/src/linux
        - you need to have installed the kernel sources, headers and other
          related .rpm files

Failing these two, read the /usr/src/linux/README, starting at the line:

        CONFIGURING the kernel

        Stu