Linux-Hardware Digest #725, Volume #10           Sat, 10 Jul 99 16:13:32 EDT

Contents:
  FS: Thinkpad 570 Loaded! $3000 (Charlie Brown)
  Re: 17" monitors with BNC and VGA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how to shut down monitor w/out cutting back CPU speed ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: D-Link DFE530TX ethernet card work for anyone?? (Kevin Theobald)
  Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux (Carsten Cimander)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Thlayli)
  MAG LT530F dig. LCD and XF86? (Till Harbaum)
  MILO for Digital Server 3305 ??? (Krassimir Simeonov)
  fwd- AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock (Alex Lam)
  How do you think about the report of mindcraft ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Driver for AC-5618 Modio? (Kevin Theobald)
  USB port supported in LINUX ? (Vincent DECOUX)
  UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner ("Christian Bryan")
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (kls)
  Re: Netzero on Linux (Czouch)
  Re: HP Colorado 5 GB (bernieo)
  Re: Will My Wheel Mouse Work w/ Linux? (Tim Moore)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (L.Angel)
  3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 (Thomas Kochak)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Michael)
  Re: asus TNT v3400 problems (Tim Moore)
  Re: UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Diamond Video Card Compatibility (Thomas Kochak)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Brown)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.laptops,comp.forsale,comp.forsale.computer,comp.forsale.computers
Subject: FS: Thinkpad 570 Loaded! $3000
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:59:29 -0500

For Sale!

   ThinkPad 570 PII333
      192Mb RAM
      4.0Gb HD
      56K Built-in Modem
      13.3" TFT Screen
      WIN 98 OS & Office 2000 Professional

   IBM UltraBase
      24X CDROM Drive Ultraslimbay
      2X DVD Drive Ultraslimbay

   Li-Ion Battery (Extra)

   3Com Megahertz 10/100 Cardbus PC Card

   ** This laptop will run Red Hat 6.0! **

All of the above for $3000 obo (Includes FedEx COD delivery)

Email me with questions @ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 17" monitors with BNC and VGA
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 15:55:05 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> John Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[del]

>If I was in your shoes, I'd go w/ the A702HT - it's got aperture mask and (I
>think) the highest refresh rate of the 3 you mentioned. Aperture mask really
>helps show the color separation nicely. iiyama did a good job on my A901HT, I
>wouldn't have any reservations at all about getting an A702HT for my wife (who
>will be needing a 17 inch monitor soon  :-).

Well, I decided to get an A701GT as I got a new one real cheap. So far, so
good ;-)

>Also, get as high a refresh rate as you possibly can, whatever monitor you
>choose. This should be easier in the 17 display range. Even if your video card
>won't support a middlin' high bandwidth (which gets more and more unlikely every
>day), if you ever get a faster card you'll be happy you spent the extra cash on
>the monitor.

Not that big issue, as I mainly use my Sony200sf. The second monitor is
just for my 2 other boxes (an Alpha and a DECstation - BTW: where oh WHERE
could I get a video cable for this machine in germany?).

>Try to pick it up from a local vendor - makes things much easier if you have to
>return it.

I usually do this, but I already strained my local dealer to the max. I got
two monitors to try'em out and returned both of them (Sony 420GST, CTX 1995UE).

Bye,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Spanish Bombs (The Clash), Windy (The

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to shut down monitor w/out cutting back CPU speed
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:06:53 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there a way to shut off the monitor without
> cutting back the CPU speed?  The APM modes all
> seem to cut everything back.  I leave my Linux
> machine running all the time, and I'd like to have
> the monitor shut off (or go into standby mode)
> automatically after a period of inactivity from
> the console, but I still have stuff running in the
> background and I'd like to still be able to use
> the computer remotely.  Is there a way to do this?

If your monitor is Energy Star compliant, you can use dpms to put it in
standby or shutdown mode.  See "man xset" for how to do it.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Kevin Theobald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE530TX ethernet card work for anyone??
Date: 10 Jul 1999 11:15:03 -0400

Eric Stratte <ericst@sel*remove*inc.com> writes:

>     Looking at www.pricewatch.com,  the DFE530TX is one of the cheapest
> ethernet cards.  Has any one had success with the Via Rhine driver that
> D-Link provides a hotlink to?

Worked fine for me on Debian ("slink" stable version, kernel 2.0.36)
once I figured out I had to select Via Rhine in the installation.  No
kernel recompile needed.  Nice of D-link to put the link on their page.

| Kevin B. Theobald, Ph.D. - Computer Architecture and Parallel Systems Lab. |
| Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware  |
| "It is commonly known that Microsoft's applications work faster on Windows |
| than competing applications because they take advantage of unpublished     |
| APIs which give them the speed they need. It's pretty lame that Microsoft  |
| can't compete on a level playing field and feels the need to tip the field |
| because they own it."                                                      |
|                             KMFMS (http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html)     |

From: Carsten Cimander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 9GB-IBM-harddisk blocks linux
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:03:29 +0200

sounds a bit like a termination Problem.
Is the adaptec a (U)Wide controller? (64 pins) or a (U)Narrow (50 pins)?
If it is a narrow one you probably use an 50<->64 pins adapter on your
controller or (ultra-wide?) disk.
 DNES309170->W<-
A not-well manufactured adapter may cause these problems as some lines
(of the 64) may hang "in the air" unterminated...
a change might resolve this problem.

On the other hand you might have terminated the disk (as it is the last
device
of the scsi-chain) but have not the disk connected to the last connector
on the internal scsi cable? This might lead to a not correctly
terminated
scsi bus with the system hanging when it accesses the disk.

Have luck.
Carsten

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thlayli)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:02:39 GMT

Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
>> easily imagine that somewhere down the road, these GUI's will be
>> stable and advanced enough such that a distro can be made that only
>> has a GUI, and the console is locked away, only for the sysadmin to
>> use. In fact, redhat 6 is very close to this ideal.  The only
>> difference would be the amount of software available, and that can
>> (and is) changing rapidly as well.
>
>I think that's an admirable goal.  I don't see why installation has to go
>through the console now for most programs.  All of that stuff should be
>tucked away from the user.  Double-click on a file and it should install
>your program.  That's how easy it needs to be for Linux to claim
>ease-of-use as an OS, and we're not there yet.

RPM is a big step in that direction.  As I recall, installing software using
the X front-end ("glint", right?) was very comparable to installing under
Windows - with the advantage of being able to do batch installs.  The problem
is not all application writers make their programs available in RPM.  But the
technology is there, it just needs to be picked up by the developers.

--
Thlayli
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.geocities.com/~thlayli23x/home.html

This message printed on 100% recycled electrons (40% post-consumer)

*** Replace "theglobe.com" with "usa.net" to email me ***

------------------------------

From: Till Harbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MAG LT530F dig. LCD and XF86?
Date: 10 Jul 1999 18:08:09 +0200

Hi!

I'd like to use the MAG LT530F digital LCD under Linux. This display
is sold (like most other digital LCDs) together with the ATI Xpert
LCD graphics card.

I've consulted the linux hardware compatibility page at www.suse.de
for these two components and got

  MAG LT530F      supported
  ATI Xpert LCD   unsupported

How can the display be supported if the required graphics card isn't
supported? I am confused ...

Any help welcome,
  Till

Please CC by email, too ...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:10:15 -0400
From: Krassimir Simeonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MILO for Digital Server 3305 ???

Does any one know some MILO for Digital Server 3305

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: fwd- AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 08:26:54 -0700

===============FWD===================
 Posted 09/07/99 11:37am by Mike Magee, The Register, London, UK.

 AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock

 Sources close to AMD said today that overclocking Athlon K7s is an
easy matter, with systems builders easily able to achieve speeds of
700MHz.

 But things could get even better for overclocking freaks, because the
same source said that AMD is likely to introduce a 750MHz part either
late in Q3 or early in Q4 this year.

 If AMD continues its policy of supporting gamers willing to overclock
their parts, that could mean some very fast systems will emerge,
knocking spots off the Intel competition, he said.

 Multiprocessor boards are unlikely to arrive until early next year,
however.

 Rana Mainee, European research director at AMD, said: "We don't
recommend overclocking but we haven't done anything in K7 to prevent
it. If people want to do that, they can choose to do so at
 their own risk."

 He said the majority of people using K7s would never want to open a
machine but there were dedicated hobbyists who would want to tweak
performance to its maximum.

 He said he was unable to confirm the 750MHz K7 Athlon part, but
added: "The K7 core is a great core and its very scalable". ®

source- http://theregister.co.uk/990709-000010.html
=================END================

--
*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do you think about the report of mindcraft
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:05:36 GMT

mindcraft just released a new report which it claimed unbiased and
accurate, How do you think about it?
I always use linux in my pentium box, I think it is much better than
win95 or nt station, but I have no idea about the performance on the
high end as 4xXeon 4G mem box.

From: Kevin Theobald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for AC-5618 Modio?
Date: 10 Jul 1999 12:26:57 -0400

I have an AC-5618 "Combo Express Modio" from Action Well.  This is an ISA
card with sound and modem together.  The description sounds vaguely
winmodem-ish but they don't call it a winmodem.  The specs say there is an
Analog Devices AD1821.

Does anyone know if this is usable under Linux, or if, say, the sound card
is but not the modem, etc.?  I didn't see it in the lists -- the closest I
saw was AD1816 cards.

| Kevin B. Theobald, Ph.D. - Computer Architecture and Parallel Systems Lab. |
| Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware  |
| "The glue -- the operating system -- has gone beyond all reason of         |
| complexity.  NT 5 [Windows 2000] is at 30 to 50 million lines of C/C++     |
| code.  It's like the Star Wars missile defense system.  These kind of      |
| programs are just too complex to debug.  The tools aren't up to the task." |
|                                 Sun Microsystems co-founder Bill Joy       |

From: Vincent DECOUX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB port supported in LINUX ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:31:54 +0200

Hi,

I've got a Dell PC with several devices and I'd like to upgrade to
Linux.
The problem is I'm using USB devices (an ISDN modem, and a sound card).
Are they supported in Linux ?

Thanks for any help

Vincent Decoux

From: "Christian Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:22:28 -0000

Is there the possibility of getting a UMAX Astra 1220U USB scanner
to work under Linux. I am aware that USB is a possibility for kernel 2.4.x
but is it possible to use USB devices in 2.2.x. This is the only reason for
keeping Windows on my machine.

Cheers,

Christian,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 07:23:42 GMT

In article <7lp4jh$8io$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>faster.
>>>
>>>Agreed, but Linux (the kernel) does not use any of the
>>advantages of 3DNow
>>>to my knowledge.  It does not use any of the features of the
>>PIII either,
>>>for that matter.

>>has been
>>

>>What it does do is take advantage of duals.  can get a lx dual
>>board for $50, bx dual, socket 370(ie don't have to buy converter
>>cards) with ata-66 for $130 & c400's for $75x2.  going the cheap
>>route, $200 for dual c400's vs $200 k63-450.  k63 will loose
>>easy.  multitasking, compiling, databases, spreadsheets, cad, ...
>>take advantage of duals.
>>

>Wrong again.
>
>There is no board with duals that has ATA66.  Dual CPU mobos are Intel
>LX and BX only with ATA33 on the southbridge.  The only Slot 1 mobos
>with ATA 66 are all single processor Intel 810s, VIA or SIS chipset
>based.   However, Super 7 has ATA 66 already.   There are no
>commercially available dual PPGA 370 motherboards out there with ATA 66.
>
>Dream on.

Abit BP6 is available & can be seen advertized by several vendors on
pricewatch: ~$130.  It has four ata controllers(ie. 8 devices total), two
ata-66 & two ata-33, & uses socket 370.  Don't have to spend $20 on two slot1
adapters or on promises overpriced $60 controller to get ata-66.  Isn't it
dreamy?:)

>Furthermore, for multiprocessing, your RAM requirement should be higher
>to avoid contention.

256-384MB isn't a stretch with current memory prices.  $120-180.

>Furthermore, you should have jobs broken into
>multiple processes and threads each with the CPU load distributed into
>these.  If you have an application where 95% of the CPU load is on a
>single thread or process, multiprocessing does not benefit from this,
>since only one CPU will still execute this process and take up 95% of
>its time, while the CPU is idle.  Spreadsheets and compiling won't be
>taking advantage of duals since most of them aren't designed for it, but

But they do, they are.  Try a search with +multiprocessor/threaded
+app name/type on a search engine or dejanews.  gnu make can do parallel
execution(-j # - # of jobs(processes)) which means when using a makefile,
everything that assembles or compiles benefits.  gcc/egcs/..? are threaded.

>bigger databases such as Oracle and Informix could, as well as
>Photoshop, but I don't think LInux GIMP is multithreading or
>multiprocessor aware.

Some threaded Gimp plugins:
http://nemo.physics.ncsu.edu/~briggs/gimp/index.html.
Notice the speed up.

------------------------------

From: Czouch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netzero on Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:44:25 GMT

Adam,
   If you're willing to try and write the Java code for our banner, go
right ahead.  It needs to be a floating Java box, always in the
foreground, that cannot be stuck (i.e. when you change to another area
of your virtual desktop, it moves to alwyas stay on the visible screen).

   Don't worry about it too much, though.  I was just informed yesterday
that, after our MacOS port is finished later this year, work is going to
begin on the OS/2 and Linux versions.  In fact, I was told that our
original release actually did run under Linux.

   So, it looks like it's only a matter of time....

Czouch

From: bernieo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Colorado 5 GB
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:10:34 GMT

Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez wrote:

> Hi friends:
>     I'm thinking about getting a streamer for backup purposes. A local
> dealer has make me a good offer on an HP Colorado 5GB unit. But before
> making a final decision I'd like to know if someone has had any
> experience with it, namely, wehter someone has already used it under
> Linux, how to install and the software to take best out of the streamer.
>
>     Thanks in advance!
>     Greetings!
>
>         José Manuel

I've got this drive.  Internal IDE.  Works great with kernel 2.0.35 or
above.  I just used tar.  No commercial or other software.

Bernie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:42:52 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will My Wheel Mouse Work w/ Linux?

http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: a?n?g?e?l?@lovergirl-DOT.com (L.Angel)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:28:35 GMT

"Charismo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>About the same as 3dnow!, 20 odd. Could be getting on 30, but most
>definitely NOT 80 or whatever they say ISSE is. Talk about Intel being
>bastard marketers....
>Anton

  It's 70 ISSE according to Intel but I can't find how many MMX
instructions there were on Intel's site. Downloading the PDF for PMMX
din help and the server died on me while trying the programmers guide
to PMMX :P
  So now I have to ask, how many MMX instructions are there? 57?
:P

The little lost angel & her featherhead's 2 cents of dreaminess. :)
Email : Figure out what to remove, I'm getting tired of spam

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3Com Etherlink XL 10/100
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 14:24:26 -0500

I am thinking about buying this card. I would like to know if anybody
had problems running this card under linux, or anybody's expierance with
it.

If possible, please CC this message to me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:21:54 GMT

Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv) wrote:
>>
>> >Nonsense.  The extra cache of the k6-3 does you no good whatsover for
>> >having "numerous multiple windows open."  Do  you really think that
>> >the extra peasly 128k helps with this?  Not.
>> >
>> You really don't know what your talking about.  How fast is your
>> celeron without that peasly 128 cache that Intel grafed onto the
>> cacheless one?  Is your Celeron a hotrod without that cache?
>>
>Sorry to interrupt your little dispute, but I want to clarify on the
>subject of cache size from the point of view of someone who spends much
>of his time in the linux-kernel mailing list et al. Also, you might take
>a look at my signature.
>
>Mike, you cannot compare the performance ratio of pre-A celeron (with no
>L2 cache) to post-A celeron (with L2 cache) with the speed ratio of two
>cache-equipped chips. Here's why:
>On a chip w/o L2 cache and only a few kB of L1 cache, almost every data
>fetch will result in DRAM access, hence will be slow if the dataset
>needed will exceed the size of the L1. That is something everyone agrees
>with, I guess.

Agreed.
>Now it shows when you do measurements of *real world* applications
>(BAPCo comes to mind), the size of the L2 does almost nothing. The
>difference is too small to be readily distunguished from the statistial
>blur of measurements.
>Read my lips: It does _not_ matter if you have L2's of 256K@66MHz,
>512K@100MHz, 1M@100MHz, 2M@133MHz. The performance difference will be in
>all these cases within 5% and don't tell me 5% will make any difference
>that you can see

So you are saying that a 128K second level cache holds windows
operating system code, outlook express, Lotus 123, Netscape,
numerous background tray programs and never goes to main memory when
you task switch....?  I admit the discussion is a bit blurred, I am
not maintaining that a larger 2nd level cache gets your better
application performance (beyond the limits you outline below).  What I
am saying is that the larger caches hold more code so that task
switching is more readily "instant".  I don't think any standard of
measurement is available to measure how a business user actually uses
windows.  I am not certain that beyond anecdotal experience you can
measure what I am talking about.
>The same applies to 128K@400MHz or 512K@200MHz. The only difference you
>will find is when measuring L2 bandwidth.
>_What_ will make a difference, though, is whether you are running with
>512K@100MHz (like the AMD K6-2) or 256K@400MHz with the added benefit of
>having decoupled L2 and DRAM/L3 paths (like the K6-3).

This will make a difference in the actual speed of the specific
appication in the foreground, or possibly its speed while running in
the background.  On this we agree.
>Regarding the difference in BitBlt that you may or may not feel between
>celeri and K6-3's: It is *much* more likely to be a driver related issue
>(setting MTRRs correctly, using 3Dnow to do some nifty tricks that
>increase bandwidth, optimzed for AMD, not Intel...) or - even more
>likely - an issue of the chipset.

Ok this could account for it as well independant of the cache.
>Again, read my lips: Doubling the L2 != doubling the speed (even of
>redraws).
>You may _tell_ what you want, I _know_ better. Prove what you say :-0

Not certain I follow here, and if you would please explain. (may be
related to my comment immediately above).
>Marc
So based on your qualifications how much code can fit into these
caches when multitasking and task context switching?  Does everything
fit into the first 128K second level cache.  By the way, the speed of
the celeron cache is the same as the processor speed and can be as
fast as the K6 III's cache or faster.  This alone doesn't account for
the quickness of the k6 III over the celeron.  Any elucidation you can
give us is appreciated.

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:07:58 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: asus TNT v3400 problems

> I recently got a new AGP card, asus TNT v3400, its a 2D/3D card with a riva
> TNT chip.
> I am haveing trouble configuring xwindows, it worked perfectly fine with my
> old AGP card, Trident 3DImage.
> I tried to reconfigure it and used the asus riva128 driver but when i try to
> run xwindows the screen goes all black and there are colours over the
> screen.
> I am not to knowledgable on the subject so could someone please tell me if i
> have to get a new driver or is there something else i have to do.
>
> thanks in advance
> ~Wayne~

At minimum you need these installed (try 'rpm -qa | grep XFree'):

XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3-1
XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3-1
XFree86-libs-3.3.3-1
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1
XFree86-3.3.3-1

The setup chipset identifier is 'Riva TNT'.
Asus does not supply a 'riva128' driver for linux.
The only relationship between the Trident and the 3400 is that they fit
into the same slot.
--

Subject: Re: UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jul 1999 15:38:40 -0400

"Christian Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there the possibility of getting a UMAX Astra 1220U USB scanner
> to work under Linux. I am aware that USB is a possibility for kernel 2.4.x
> but is it possible to use USB devices in 2.2.x. This is the only reason for
> keeping Windows on my machine.

The standard answer is to roll up your sleeves and work with the USB/SANE folks
to get it to work.  If you expect somebody else to do the work, it may never
get done (ie, people work on what interests them).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Video Card Compatibility
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:50:15 -0500

install xfree86 3.3.3.1

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/redhat/updates/5.2/