  Re: Need Exabyte 8mm EXB-8505 Info (Matt Bartley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 11 Jul 1999 01:12:08 GMT

In <7m6up3$q16$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jay Patrick Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Dean Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: I have to agree with Chris on this one.   I don't know about the psychology
>: of it, but based upon the number of 'failures' I heard about when selling
>: product, and the number I saw posted on usenet (vs. successes), it made my
>: life very difficult.   Far too many people having extremely high
>: expectations, and always blaming the product when it didn't function like it
>: did for 'everyone else'...
>
>I dunno...just seems like there have been alot of people lately asking for
>help with their unresponsive 366s.  Of course, there've been lots of
>success stories too, so its hard to say.

Overclocking Celerons especially the 366s need a great deal of mental
preparation, a great sense of selectivity and is quite an art not
suitable for those who don't understand it.   You also need a
cooperative and knowledgeable dealer too, as some dealers don't take
kindly to picky questions (e.g. what week is your Celerons made and
where?) and I really don't think it's wise to telegraph the dealer that
your motives is to overclock it that high, as many dealers take a dim
view on that.

It assumes many things, which are quite specific:

1.) You need a programmable voltage motherboard, which only Abit has,
and no other brand has.

2.) or You need a programmable voltage slotket, which only Asus or MSI
has.   I have been using one to overclock a Celeron to 500.

3.) Malaysian Celerons week 14-25.

4.) You need approximately 2.3 or 2.4v for burn in at the start,
settling to 2.0 to 2.2v after burn in.

5.) Don't forget a generous cooling unit.  I use the same large "cube"
for both my K6-III 450 and Celeron @ 550.

You simply do not grab a Celeron out of random, put it on any
motherboard out of the shelf, and expect this sort of overclocking (to
550) to just work right off.  You can forget about Slot 1 Celeron 366s.

In my case, I simply tracked a dealer who had run out of Celeron stock,
so he won't have old inventory, and assume any new shipment he has would
be of new production.  Malaysian Celerons are much more common in the
Far East so it's a given the new inventory is much more likely to be
Malaysian.

This process is quite a bit more picky than when I overclocked a Cel
266, which you almost have no concern as to when and where it was
produced and on what motherboard you need to use it on (no voltage
upping needed.)  With the Cel 300a, some voltage upping is needed, but
it's not as picky as to the date and time of production and as to where,
and a good percentage may work right off with no voltage upping.

When Intel introduces Celeron 500s, which is soon, one can also expect
Intel will end up using the best Celeron yields for this, and it might
cut back on the overclocking success percentage once again, as it did
with earlier Celerons, so this is just a short window of opportunity
once again.

Rgds,

Chris

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do laptops work well with Linux?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:23:23 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> On 10 Jul 1999 03:35:55 GMT,
> "wes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Do laptops work well with Linux?
>
> Yes, laptops work well with Linux.
>
> However you have to research your hardware much more carefully.
> In particular, your hard disk, video controller, CD ROM, and
> BIOS.  If you're going to use X windows, the mouse.  If you're
> going to connect to a LAN, your NIC.
>
> To be on the comfortable side, get 64 MB of RAM or more.

I've worked on quite a few laptops now, and my favorite points to
look at (you need to do some research if they matter for you) are:

- hot swappable external mouse (most mice are PS/2, but gpm allows
  combo serial external and on-board PS/2 easily)
- APM with suspend to memory and suspend to disk (the latter far more
  useful)
- video card supports not only 8bpp, but also 16 or 24/32 in XFree,
  and ideally also 640*480, 800*600 and of course 1024*768. The low
  res ones are useful if you ever need to present something and "they"
  only have the old types of projectors that do lowres stuff (vga/svga).

Well, i could list more, and in fact, i recently wrote them up in *my*
ideal laptop, but this is of course a rather subjective choice. If you
care to look, check out
   http://www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben/linux/laptop/ideal.html
and feel free to suggest other items :-)

- peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SpamMatt)
Subject: Zoom 56K PCI Modem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:35:39 GMT

Hiya group,
I just installed Mandrake linux 6.0 and have a question (well several
actually, but I'll try to keep them in the right groups).  My modem
detects itself as a com port in windows and when I install the drivers
it puts itself on com port 4 with irq 11.  I cant get it to respond to
KPPP through any of the options in that program.  I'm just wondering
if any of you guys know how to get Linux to recognize this modem. I
thought about going out and buying another modem that will install on
com1 or 2 but want to try this first.  I'm fairly sure this isn't a
"winmodem" so please help me if you can.  Thanks in advance.
SpamMatt

If you want to respond to this through email please send it to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   and remove the .nospam of course.

------------------------------

From: Frank Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Setup Information For HP Pavilion M40 Monitor
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:08:07 GMT

Help

I am attempting to setup RH 6.0 Gnome on a 6340 HP Pavilion with a M40
14 inch monitor.

If I use the HP video drivers in RH 6.0 I can get fair results with the
vertical Lines on the right side of the screen resembling a railroad
track instead of sharp vertical lines.

The video card is a ATI 264 VT4 (English) (Direct X)  Range Pro. RT 6.0
list this card and I am using that setting.

The Monitor is a Pavilion M40 FCC ID A3KM065 which was manufactured by
Philips Electronics Industries _ Taiwan.
It also has the following additional identification information HP
5258A, Serial TW 74405032, TCI D5282-6000, and 1020 Low Emission
Display.

Does any one know where I can get the setup / driver files for this
monitor or its equivalent?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Internal Modem
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:08:28

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
07/09/99
   at 12:48 PM, Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Wouldn't be so sure about that. IIRC USR actually labelled their
> winmodems as such. I wish other manufacturers would do the same.

Winmodem is a USR trademark.  Other manufacturers can't label theirs as
winmodems.  The generic term is "software modem" or "softmodem."

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Saturday, July 10, 1999 - 08:08 PM (EST)
MR/2 Ice tag:  "It's hydrochloric," said Tom acidly.

------------------------------

From: "Jason Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Installing Redhat on a jazz drive using a PCMCIA SCSI Card
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:08:21 -0500

Howdy I know this is going to be a difficult one but here goes.  Ive got a
Dell Latitude CPi(233MMX) and a Adaptech 1480 Cardbus SlimSCSI PCMCIA card
with a IOMega Jaz (2GB)Drive installed.  Now the Laptop im using is the one
I use for work so I really don't want to touch the internal HD because that
would just be inviting Murphy's law to use me as a Case Study.   What I
would like
to try is booting Redhat on the Laptop using the Floppy Drive with LILO on
it and having the Root File System on the Jaz drive.  From reading the
Documentation it looks like it is possible if one is Careful and goes by the
book.  What would help me out Greatly would be if someone could point me in
the right direction of a Image file for a floppy boot from a External SCSI
Device hanging off of a PCMCIA Adapter.

Oh I Installed a Root Filesystem onto the Jaz Drive using the Redhat 6.0
Bootdisk and PCMCIA Disk.  It worked like a charm but it didn't give me the
ability to make a Bootdisk for PCMCIA.

Thanks in Advance

Jason

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA 66 Support
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:47:56 GMT

Byron A Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <YE4h3.38$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Bryan  <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: -: Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.  Does this mean that anyone
: -: using Abit's BP6 is forced to use UDMA/33 (if it works) or slower?  With
: -: all the people talking about dual celerons with UDMA/66 based on this
: -: board, I hope they check out that how-to.  They said that 2.3.? was
: -: including UDMA/66 support, so hopefully that will come around.  As an
: -: aside, does anyone know how UDMA/33 or UDMA/66 will compare with SCSI?
: -: I'm putting together a file server for 10 users, and I'd like to avoid
: -: the SCSI expense if possible, and UDMA seems tantalizingly like the
: -: solution.....if it works  :-)
: -
: -file server: that means scsi to me.  ANY kind of ide is suboptimal for
: -that many users - scsi is still much better for multiprocessing.
: -
: -for single task uses, udma is probably ok.  for servers, its a
: -nobrainer - go scsi.

: Why?

: It's a rhetorical question. I'll give two answers.

: 1) You can easily attach a lot more disks to the SCSI controller. 15 vs. 4
: in the average case.

: 2) The SCSI has disconnect which means that you can issue a command to a
: SCSI device and disconnect it from the bus until it's completed the request.
: In the meantime other requests can be issued to other devices. This I/O
: overlap can give a huge performance advantage over IDE.

and unless they've changed the ide protocol for udma (isn't udma just
a physical protocol and uses the same logical proto as regular old
ide?) its still very much single-tasking based.

: However if UDMA/33 is working effectively, and if you need only one disk
: or less per IDE controller, then IDE can be extremely attractive vs. the
: costs of SCSI disks. IDE disks will always be in the price "sweet spot"
: but SCSI's never ever will because the volume isn't high enough.

and that's cost and marketing.  if cost isn't an issue (and it usually
isn't the prime issue for group servers) then scsi is the only choice
worth looking at.

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: UMAX Astra 1220U USB Scanner
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 19:56:56 -0700

On 10 Jul 1999 15:38:40 -0400, Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Christian Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Is there the possibility of getting a UMAX Astra 1220U USB scanner
>> to work under Linux. I am aware that USB is a possibility for kernel 2.4.x
>> but is it possible to use USB devices in 2.2.x. This is the only reason for
>> keeping Windows on my machine.
>
>The standard answer is to roll up your sleeves and work with the USB/SANE folks
>to get it to work.  If you expect somebody else to do the work, it may never
>get done (ie, people work on what interests them).

        Actually, there are others on the USB mailing list (myself included)
        quite intereste in getting USB scanners working. The devil is in the
        documentation.

        As someone who actually has the hardware, this fellow could be of
        some use if even only for beta testing.

        The best advice at this point would be to seek out or solicit
        documentation for yourself or to be sent to Linus (Torvalds).

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Kevin Theobald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Question
Date: 10 Jul 1999 22:48:30 -0400

"Steve Kowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am a newbie to Linux.  I have it running on my IBM ThinkPad 380ED.

That's quite a feat for a "newbie" given everything I've heard about
Linux on laptops!

> Everything runs great and I am actually using linux more than Windoze.  I do
> have one question.  The only way for me to dial out on my modem right now is
> that I must log in as Root.  My "normal" user can't use the modem.  Any
> suggestions?  Do i need to Chown a certain file? Help is always appreciated.

Well, there could be lots of reasons, depending on what modem tool
you're using.  Either a device file needs to be writable by everyone
("chmod 777 <device-name>"), or your modem program must be run "setuid
root" (which means when you start it, it runs as the root user so it
can access devices mere mortals can't).  I don't know much about these
tools myself.  Check any manuals (e.g., "man xxx" where xxx is the
name of your modem program).  Also, some programs take -d as a switch
which prints out debugging info, which may give a clue.

| Kevin B. Theobald, Ph.D. - Computer Architecture and Parallel Systems Lab. |
| Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Delaware  |
| I think history has proven over and over again that once a company has a   |
| lock on a market, product quality and innovation decline -- and prices     |
| rise.  Are you going to be part of the problem or part of the solution?    |
|                                       Robert B. Denny, Chicago Tribune     |
|                                  http://solo.dc3.com/editorial/102298.html |

From: Chad Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:43:25 GMT

        All versions of the Ensoniq AudioPCI are not soundblaster
compatible.  But that's not a problem since 2.2.x has native drivers
for both major variants.  If you don't know which one you have it's safe
to compile both since they use the PCI IDs to determine if it's a supported
card or not.  A REALLY nice thing here, if you're used to ISA cards, is
that it is completely plug and play (not Plug'n'Pray ;)

        In your case, under the sound config menu of menu/x config, use
the ES1371 driver.

        (BTW, for the ES1373 chip, use the ES1371 driver.  The 1373 is
simply another revision of the 1371 and uses the same PCI ID number.)

        - Chad,
        who wishes Creative pushed their Ensoniq tech instead of that
SB 16 PCI card... gag.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Bartley)
Subject: Re: Need Exabyte 8mm EXB-8505 Info
Date: 10 Jul 1999 20:56:12 -0700

In article <7m3bv2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Sharon Kedar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am about to install an Eabayte EXB-8505 on my PC (pentium 166)
> running both Linux 4.0 and Win95.
> I have several questions.

>1. Is EXB-8505 compatible with Linux 4.0?

What's Linux 4.0?  Do you mean the Slackware distribution, version
4.0?  RedHat 4.0 (which is really old)?  I think the 8505 will always
work as long as the SCSI card you use on the system is supported by
the kernel.  See next answer.

>2. What SCSI card can I use with Linux 4.0 and EXB 8505?

Just about anything supported by the kernel.  Please specify which
kernel version.  I use a BusLogic -- I mean Mylex -- BT-948.  Look at
the choices you're given when configuring the kernel (make config,
make menuconfig, or make xconfig).

>3. Is it going to work with my win95 as well or cause problems?

Last time I rebooted into Windoze (95) to run a program there to
upload new firmware to my 8505 tape drive, 'doze had completely
forgotten about my SCSI card (making my tape drive and CD-ROM drive
useless), and nothing I did could make it find it again.  I gave up,
went back into Linux, and haven't booted Windoze in several
months. :-)

It might work for you though, but this *is* Windoze we're talking
about...

> 4. This is the only SCSI device in the chain.  What do I need to know
> about the terminator?

Either set the termination jumper on the last device in the chain, if
there is such a setting on that device.  Or put a separate terminator
device on the SCSI cable right after the last SCSI device.

--
"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in