Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:47:13 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corrupted filesystem problems w/ rh5.2

> I have a dual boot win 95/ RH 5.2, P233MMX system and am getting
> repeated file system corruptions. Everything runs OK for a month or so,

I had mixed fat32 and linux partitions.  Corruption was in the form of
trashed partition tables on linux, typically after a w95-side format.
Turned out that partition type for FAT32 defaulted to type 'b'.  Making
these type 'c' stopped the corruption on linux in my case.

As for FAT16, its nature is to self-destruct every 5 months, so itsallll
good.

side.

- type 6 for FAT16 partitions (DOS 16-bit >=32M)
- type c for FAT32 partitions (Win95 FAT32 (LBA))
--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:23:13 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fibre channel

> FC controllers use SCSI protocol across copper or glass but are
> currently at the bleeding edge and very expensive.  Qlogic and others
> make chipsets.  2.2.x did not have support last time I checked.

Correction.  2.2.10 has a Qlogic FCAL driver.  Performance updats in
2.2.10-ac8.

From: "Amir J. Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark 1000C help needed!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:56:04 +0300

==============ECF5DBA7E3AFA9ED5662C28E

Great! The forum is in German...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> take a look to special LINUX forum
> http://www.zdnet.de/forum/
> there are many tips and addresses (like fax or email)
> if you need support to GDI-printer (for example LEXMARK 1000)
>
> n article <7kmtng$n2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong) wrote:
> > Th. Voss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : Greetings to the world!
> >
> > : Has anyone magaed to get a Lexmark 1000C up and running under SuSE
> > : Linux? I use release 6.0 and I'm at the end of my nerves...
> >
> >       It's a WinPrinter so support will be slim (if not none).
> > Currently someone has managed to put up a driver for the 7000/7200
> which
> > sort of works from what I've been reading for the 5000/5700.  So far
> it
> > is a no go on the 1000 series or 3200.

==============ECF5DBA7E3AFA9ED5662C28E

begin:vcard
n:Katz;Amir J.
tel;fax:+972-3-645-1100
tel;work:+972-3-645-1145
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.ndsoft.com
org:BMC Software;IT Process Automation
adr:;;P.O.Box 58168;Tel-Aviv;;61581;Israel
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Unix Team Leader
note:"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time" (Steven Wright)
fn:Amir J. Katz
end:vcard

From: "W Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus TNT v3400
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:57:44 +1000

I recently got a new AGP card, asus TNT v3400, its a 2D/3D card with a riva
TNT chip.
I am haveing trouble configuring xwindows (redhat 5.2), it worked perfectly
fine with my
old AGP card, Trident 3DImage.
I tried to reconfigure it and used the asus riva128 driver but when i try to
run xwindows the screen goes all black and there are colours over the
screen.
I am not to knowledgable on the subject so could someone please tell me if i
have to get a new driver or is there something else i have to do.

thanks in advance
~Wayne~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cyrix MII MediaGX all-in-one mobo
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:06:03 GMT

Sorry, I replied to a different reply, so here it is again:

I have a media gx 180 that runs linux just fine.  The integrated video
is supported in the latest Xfree86, and the integrated audio works with
the SB16 driver.  I haven't successfully configured an X server for
the GX, as I run an 8MB Millenium II card.  If you have a spare video
card, I recommend that you install it to save yourself a few hassles.
Be careful of the layout of the PS/1 case, though.  I just came into
possession of one and the case is not AT standard layout.  For the
motherboard that I tried to put in the PS/1 case, only 1 mounting hole
lined up.  It is a standard AT size, just non-standard mounting
points.  The cyrix board does have a riser card (at least mine does), so
I think you should be safe there.  Good Luck.

From: "Gabriel L. Somlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI and microphone weirdness ?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:01:49 -0600

Hi.

I recently got an Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371. When I tried to record stuff
with a regular
microphone from BestBuy, it didn't work. I mean I used sox to record a
wav of me speaking
into the mike, and it only recorded some garbled noise with a hint of my
voice in the
background.

Then, I used a SUN amplified mike (one that came with the old sparc IPC
workstations - it
even has a little battery inside it), and connected it to the LINE jack
instead of the
MICROPHONE jack. It _only_ records this way.

Did any of this happen to any of you guys ? I run Slack 4.0 with kernel
2.2.6, with the
sound driver that came with the kernel. And before you tell me the card
is broken, it isn't.
I exchanged it today, and the new one does exactly the same thing...

Why do I have to use a _weird_ microphone to record stuff ? Am I doing
something wrong ?

Thanks,

Gabriel

PS I faked my email to avoid spam. If you want to email me personally,
please remove the
uppercase chars from my address...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:52:03 GMT

I have a Media GX 180 that I run Linux on just
fine.  The integrated video is supported in the
latest Xfree86, but I haven't played with it long
enough to get a functional X server running, and
also because I have a Millenium II 8 MB card that
runs much better.  The integrated sound is
supported if you use the SB16 settings and enter
the values found in the BIOS.  If you have a spare
video card, I recommend installing it to save
yourself some agony.  Text mode works fine.  Good
luck.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Wellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I forgot where I read this but I heard that you
can reasonably expect=20=

> everything to work on the 'all inclusive'
MediaGX system except video=20=

> above vga.=20

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> On 6/26/99, 10:40:21 AM, Greg H
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
> regarding Cyrix MII MediaGX all-in-one mobo:
>
> >    There's an ad in the MicroWarehouse catalog
(as is in others, I am =

> sure)
> > for an all-in-one motherboard with a Cyrix
MII/MediaGX chipset.  One=20=

> runs
> > at 200 MHz and the other at 233 Mhz.  The
price is arund $200.  It has=

> > integrated video and sound, and a couple of
expansion slots.  I hope=20=

> this
> > description helps to identify what I am
talking about, because I don't=
> =20
> know
> > the name of the entire item nor any
identifying numbers.
> >    Anyway, my wife has an IBM PS/1 running at
25 MHz.  I am=20
> considering
> > replacing its motherboard with the one I
mentioned above as an=20
> inexpensive
> > way to put off buying a new system for her,
which we really can't=20
> afford
> > anytime soon.  I'm wondering first whether
this replacement will work =

> at
> > all, but I would also like to know if Linux
will run with this=20
> motherboard.
> > Anyone know or who have done this themselves?
> >    I apologize if this post lacks additonal
needed information.  Let=20=

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BogoMips
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:20:15 -0500

Jef De Geeter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what is the exact meaning of BogoMips?
>
> I think it has something to do with 'performance'?

Put heavy emphasis on the "bogo" part:

    Pentium Pro 200MHz --> c. 200 bogomips
    AMD K6-III 450MHz --> c. 900 bogomips

The latter is most assuredly *not* 4.5 times as fast as the former.
Don't mistake it for a performance measurement.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help: AHA-2940 not detected
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:17:44 GMT

In article <7m7s0c$hvd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters) wrote:

> Is this the same actual card being moved from machine to machine?

Yes.

> Are you installing Linux with the card
> there or adding the card to an existing Linux system?

Adding to an existing Linux 5.1 (kernel 2.0.36) system.

> Are there any
> IDE drives in the system as well?

Yes, there's a 1GB Fujitsu IDE drive on the primary master IDE channel.

> (Adaptec)
> declined to cooperate in the development of drivers.  Things have
> improved now but your system may not be up to date enough.

Up to date in terms of hardware (motherboard, bios, SCSI card bios,
etc.) or the linux kernel and supporting system?

> If it is the same card being moved from machine to machine, what does
> "cat /proc/pci" show on machine B.

Well, it reports it, which is odd:

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   5, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com 3C595 100bTX (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min
Gnt=3.Max Lat.
      I/O at 0xff80.
  Bus  0, device   4, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.  Lat.
      I/O at 0xfc00.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffbef000.
  Bus  0, device   3, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5434 (rev 38).
      Fast devsel.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe000000.
  Bus  0, device   2, function  0:
    Non-VGA device: Acer Labs M1449 (rev 178).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Acer Labs M1451 (rev 189).
      Slow devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.

The devices are, respectively:

   Ethernet controller (3C595)
   SCSI card (AIC7xxxx/AHA-2940)
   VGA Graphics Card
   SB16 Sound Card
   ?? (IDE?  I/O card?)

> What result do you get if you
> do a manual "insmod aic7xxx".

Aha! -- progress.  Thanks!  Now it seems to detect the card ok, find
the HDD, but it cycles constantly between resetting the card,
identifying a queue, and then timing out on host 0.  Any ideas?

[Incidentally, thanks very much for answering -- so many times these
days a request out on USENET just gets lost.  I also notice that you're
a fellow UK Demon Internet user...]

Best wishes, thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Matt

From: "Jack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????
Date: 10 Jul 1999 17:45:36 GMT

I use Motherboard Monitor to monitor the temperature. It's nice program. It
sits at system tray and display the temperature.
To monitor CPU temperature, you need the sensor.

Jack

news:5FCh3.9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kari Laine)
Subject: Nokia DataCard
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:17:15 GMT

Hi All,

is there Linux driver for Nokia DataCard if there isn't I am going to
write one (my first). If you are interested of this driver let me
know.

Is there supporting software for Linux to be able to handle Nokia
Communicator?

Best Regards
Kari Laine

LinuxWare Oy http://personal.inet.fi/business/linuxware
Tel. +358-(0)19-334618  Fax +358-(0)19-334627
GSM  +358-(0)400-480273 Home +358-(0)19-334616
Hiidenmäenkuja 15, 03100 NUMMELA, FINLAND
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] , [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Christophe Falaise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus V3400 or another one ?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:27:51 +0100

Hello,

    I just ordered a new IIYAMA A702HT and to enjoy the most of it i'm
considering changing my very old S3 virge card, i think about the Asus V3400
which seems to have very good performance under Win95 (Sorry i use also this
stuff...sometimes <s>), did anyone have any feedback with this card under
Linux. I want to be able to use it in 32 bits deep at the highest possible
resolution (for my eyes). Is it a good idea ? any other recommandation ?

    TIA for all answers

JC Falaise

------------------------------

From: "Amir J. Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:22:42 +0300

==============69D73996E8C54D434B4A93BC

When I run 'sndconfig' on my RH Linux 6.0, it claims that there are no
PnP sound cards. However, the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) is
Plug-and-Play, so what's the deal here?

(When configured manually, that is, selecting it from the list, it works
fine).

Thanks,
Amir.

From: "Amir J. Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing graphics with Lexmark 1020 (business edition)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:31:24 +0300

==============F96C5199F72165770194E857

Lexmark tech support told me that the Lexmark Inkjet printer 1020 comes
in two models. The one that I own is called "Business Edition" (model
4078-001) and is supported under Linux, and indeed I was able to print a
text page on it (using the command "lpr /etc/passwd").
However, sending an HTML page to the printer drove it crazy. Since RH
Linux 6.0 does not support any Lexmark printers, does anyone know which
printer(s) does it emulate, from the list of supported printers (see URL
below).

Thanks.

List of supported printers in Red Hat Linux 6.0:
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld-16.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: ISDN
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:24:24 GMT

"Sebastian Speiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have the HiSax Driver loaded and I want go online with  /dev/ttyI0. With a
>Terminal (minicom for example) I get this scene:
>ATD0191011
>NO EAZ/MSN

[...]

Please read the README file in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/isdn .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Zoom 56K PCI Modem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:26:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (SpamMatt) writes:

>Hiya group,
>I just installed Mandrake linux 6.0 and have a question (well several
>actually, but I'll try to keep them in the right groups).  My modem
>detects itself as a com port in windows and when I install the drivers

[...]

If you need drivers for it, it's not a real modem but a Winmodem.
No chance. Sell it to a Win9*-only user and buy a real (external
preferred) modem instead.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu