From: "À±»óÇÊ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trident 4DWAVE-NX sound card problem...
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:44:33 +0900

This card is not supported by the kernel.
So, I tried ALSA. But it was too difficult for me(I am a beginner).
Therefore.... I need help!!! Somebody help me!!
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Greer)
Subject: Re: Do laptops work well with Linux?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:56:13 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:44:39 +0200 (CEST), Anonymous
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 10 Jul 1999 03:35:55 GMT,
>"wes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Do laptops work well with Linux?
>
>Yes, laptops work well with Linux.
>
>However you have to research your hardware much more carefully.
>In particular, your hard disk, video controller, CD ROM, and
>BIOS.  If you're going to use X windows, the mouse.  If you're
>going to connect to a LAN, your NIC.
>
>To be on the comfortable side, get 64 MB of RAM or more.

Don't forget the modem! Most laptops these days have pure crap
modems...software based...and worthless for anything other than
Windows 9x...as most wouldn't even make a jump to NT.

Brian.

------------------------------

From: {$graham$}@microphoneDOT.prestel.co.uk (Graham Harris)
Subject: Ping not getting back through router
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:56:15 GMT

Gents,

I have been sweating to configure Redhat 5.0 as a router between my
office lan (10.0.2.0 on 10base2) and my isdn pbx (192.168.42.1 on
10baseT).

Redhat now has 2 lan cards up and running, and is (I think) configured
for routing.

When I try and ping the pbx from Redhat it responds immediately, and a
status light on the pbx blinks to indicate lan traffic.

when I try and ping Redhat from the office LAN I can get a response
from either (both) of the LAN cards: ne1000 on 10.0.2.100 and ne2000
clone on 192.168.42.100

When I try to ping the pbx from the office LAN I get no response; but
the pbx status light blinks to show traffic.

I guess the ping is getting past Redhat on the way to the pbx, but the
response is being lost in Redhat on the way back.

Anyone have any ideas where to look please?

--
Graham Harris
Equinus- Today's Business & Technology Consultancy for the Travel industry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HI!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:25:41 +0400

Dear friends,

I hope that you'll spare some time to browse through this site:

http://www.bbe.8m.com/index.html

Best regards,
Yasser Thosip.
************

------------------------------

From: Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc
Subject: Re: format >2GB hard - Win95 FDISK problem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:34:36 +0200

My problem seems to be related.
- a new Samsung SV0844A - 8.4 GB
- The original Windows 95 (an update version)
- A reasonably modern Motherboard, an Asus TX97-XE with an AMD K6/200
The BIOS offers me 3 possibilities:
Normal is 16383 Cyls x 16 Heads
LBA is 1027 Cylinders x 255 Heads, both are with 63 sectors.
Large is somewhere in between.

I had not had this problem before and accidentally used 'Normal in the BIOS'
before changing to LBA.  Win95 refuses to recognise this change, even after I went
in with Linux's fdisk, set the Cyl+Head values by hand and said 'create new Dos
partition table'.
I have cleared the first 512 words of both /dev/hdc and /dev/hdc1 with Linux dd
and then re-run everything, no change.
Running Win's FDISK leaves the drive screwed again and Win refuses to accept that
there are more than around 510MB on the drive.
Partition Magic 3.03 agrees with Win
Partition Magic 4 also agrees with Win
Linux is absolutely happy with this disc's geometry, although I have not tried
booting from it yet (for that I need to get to copy things across with PM4)

When I first added the drive (this morning - 10 hours ago), I simply copied
everything across using PM 4 and all looked fine, the problem started when I
removed my old 4.3Gb Disc (which I want to use in another machine) and tried
working directly with the new one.

Any clues?

Since my ISP 'loses' about 90% of all Newsgroup messages, I would be grateful if
replies could also be addressed to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] directly.

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
   http://www.germany.net/teilnehmer/101/69082/samba.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (leoxx)
Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:22:06 GMT

>When I run 'sndconfig' on my RH Linux 6.0, it claims that there are no
>PnP sound cards. However, the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371) is
>Plug-and-Play, so what's the deal here?

I think PnP PCI devices don't need the sndconfig stuff.  PCI has
always been plug and play so there is no need for special hackery.

--
JR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SpamMatt)
Subject: Re: Zoom 56K PCI Modem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:12:23 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:26:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (SpamMatt) writes:
>
>>Hiya group,
>>I just installed Mandrake linux 6.0 and have a question (well several
>>actually, but I'll try to keep them in the right groups).  My modem
>>detects itself as a com port in windows and when I install the drivers
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>[...]
>
>If you need drivers for it, it's not a real modem but a Winmodem.
>No chance. Sell it to a Win9*-only user and buy a real (external
>preferred) modem instead.
>
>Michael

Thanks Michael.. I'm heading out to CompUSA today to buy a cheap one.

I just can't afford a really expensive 56k modem.  Have a nice day.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: When is the coming the S3 Trio 3D driver?
Date: 11 Jul 1999 14:56:47 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:45:15 +0900, ilnyun kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>When is the coming the S3 Trio 3D driver?

XFree86 Release Plans (http://www.xfree86.org/releaseplans.html) says this
card will be supported by 3.3.4 which will be released in July 1999.

Mike.

  Mike Frisch                         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JLKirkham)
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: 11 Jul 1999 16:56:48 GMT

(Is it just me, or is this becoming a circular conversation?)

>The problem is, people don't buy computers to become computer-savvy.  They
>buy
>computers to get their work done.  You shouldn't have to be "hands-on" to get
>your
>work done.

Okay, and I didn't buy a car to become mechanically inclined, either - I bought
it to get me from point A to point B.  But if while going from point A to point
B one of my tires should blow out (or any other of a myriad of problems
happen), I know who to call.  I'm just not interested in fixing a car, so
although I can change a tire *in theory* you'll never see me test that
knowledge.  And while my husband the tinkerer (cars as well as computer
hardware) likes building them from a boxful (or garage-full) of parts, I do not
- so I bought one all put together and ready to drive, complete even with a
tankful of gas, from my friendly car dealer.  Knowing, of course, that since I
am not qualified nor interesting in becoming qualified to perform the necessary
maintenance or repairs, I will pay someone else to do it (or give my husband a
big kiss).

>The attitude, "If you don't want to learn about computers, you
>shouldn't use them" is rampant.

One of us has mis-stated my attitude, and I apologize if I wasn't clear.  Of
course not everyone wants to learn about computers, nor is it necessary (hey,
people have survived eons without them, and plenty of people still do).  But I
see a lot of people who want a computer so they can play games on it (when
Nintendo or Sega would make a heck of a lot more sense).  Just like me and cars
- computers require maintenance and repairs, even if you buy a package from
CompUSA.  That's not likely to ever change.

>No OS is completely idiot-proof, but Windows comes closer to the goal than
Linux.

That's the goal I'm questioning.  And telling a newbie that Windows is almost
idiot-proof is like a car dealer telling me that the tires won't go flat (or if
they do, they'll re-inflate if you just turn the engine off and then back on
again).

>None of the items mentioned above are nearly as complex as a Linux system.
And none are as indispensable to business and home users alike as a computer.

Yes, that's true - maybe my car analogy makes more sense to you?  But still -
it is vital to the seamstress to know how to thread her sewing machine and
perform simple repairs (and her machine is, indeed, indispensable, as is her
repairman for overhauls).  Same thing for someone who depends on win95/98 for
work (like me, for instance) - you'd better know how to defrag, scandisk,
retry, reboot and reinstall or have someone handy who does if you don't.  [now
here's a funny thought - I'm too much of a Linux newbie to come up with a good
corollary.  Ain't nuthin in the manual about defrag, scandisk, retry, reboot
and reinstall.  Maybe compiling a kernel would have some similar roadblocks,
but I'm not ready to do that yet and I know it.]

At any rate... nobody told me that Linux was a breeze to customize, and I knew
I was stepping into unfamiliar territory.  It's what you would call an informed
choice.  I wonder if our hypothetical newbie would feel the same way if he had
driver issues in win95/98?  Heck, I'm pretty upset that win98 refuses to
acknowledge my AWE64 card even when I force the driver.  (Well, not really
upset enough yet to reinstall, but I've retried and rebooted ad nauseum).

>As it is, you're free to buy whatever OS you want.

Well yes, hence my purchase of Linux.  But if I wanna work, I gotta have
Windows.  (A big portion of my industry uses DOS/WP5.1, though).  Not so long
ago if you wanted a phone you had to have MaBell, remember?  And that WAS a
monopoly.  Still, though, if you want a phone today you pay a Baby Bell (ditto
for other utilities).  Not a monopoly in your conventional sense, I guess, but
in a local sense it is.

Jana
Wherever you go, there you are.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Kloek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Question
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:06:15 GMT

Where do I go to set my display's resolution? I'm using a lower res monitor
and need to set the resolution back to 640x480.
Thanks!! (Rh 6.0. I've not found it in any of the control panels.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:28:10 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:29:12 -0400, "Jae Il \"Joker\" Ko"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey all,
>    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
>temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
>the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
>the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
>than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
>softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
>that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

The softmenu already exists in the BIOS, it's just disabled (at least,
that's how it is with my P2B-F)  The patch unhides the softmenu, but
I've never heard anyone claim to get the softmenu bit working.

* [EMAIL PROTECTED], CNA
* Associate, Wim's BIOS Page
* http://www.ping.be/bios/
* ORBS & MAPS in use. If you can't email me,
* it's because your ISP has open relays and
* is therefore a spam risk.

------------------------------

From: Claudio P. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problemuccio con il cdrom :-)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 19:12:26 +0200

L' avviso KDE è il seguente :

Impossibile smontare il dispositivo
Resoconto dell' errore :
unmount : /dev/hdd is not in the fstab (and you are non root)

Infatti da root va tutto bene .
Il cdrom.kdelnk da cui dovrei smontare il cdrom ha tra le proprietà del
dispositivo /dev/cdrom e NON /dev/hdd come dice lui !!!

------------------------------

From: Patrick Mendoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Watcom Tablets
Date: 11 Jul 1999 10:00:07 PDT

Hello there.  Does Linux support those Watcom Tablets?
Is there a website for this information?
I just can't seem to get the hang of using a mouse and
GIMP.

     -Pat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shice Beoney)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:36:39 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:17:11 -0400 in comp.os.linux.setup, Brian
Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered the following profound
gem of wisdom:

>Shice Beoney wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:41:05 -0500 in comp.os.linux.setup,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyist©) uttered the following profound gem of
>> wisdom:
>>
>> >On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:53:45 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrawled these
>> >sagacious words ...
>> >
>> >: On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:08:35 -0400, Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
<snip>

>> >Hey, Linux lacks some spiffiness in it's appearance. It looks so dusky
>> >and dry.... => You microsoft weenies seem to love the glitzy appearance
>> >that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling .... blah, blah, blah. {I
>> >don't know about you, but I like when my car looks good and also
>> >functions well. The fact that it functions well, doesn't mean that it's
>> >looks are unimportant. A car dealer with that viewpoint will soon be out
>> >of business. The same goes for a proposed desktop OS.}
>>
>> Gee, by that logic, Sun should be out of business and Apache should be
>> one of the least-used web servers on the market. Is Outlook Express a
>> better newsreader than Forte Agent because it's "prettier"? Hell, by
>> that argument, the MacOS is better than windows. Not to mention NeXt
>> and probably Amiga as well.
>
>    Actually, IIS is gaining adherents faster than Apache, and has been rated better
>than Apache by some reviewers.

I'm personally not very familiar with IIS, so I can't really say
anything there.

> And the MacOS, as an OS, *is*
>better than Windows.

That's pretty subjective. Easier to use for most users, yes. But a lot
harder to get under the hood if that's your kind of thing. But it's
pretty hard to prove that one is arbitrarily better than the other,
and to lessen the risk of another meaningless mac vs windows debate,
I'll just say that both have their strengths and weaknesses and leave
it at that.

>Windows was based on it, after all.  The thing that you've got to come to terms with
>is that what you call "prettiness"
>actually does make the OS easier to use.  One simple example:  You want to move 50
>files, all with different extensions, from one directory to
>another.  Would you rather drag and drop them, or drop down to a command line?  I
>think it's safe to say you'd rather drag and drop.

If all the extensions are different, then that is one example where it
would be more convenient to do it via a graphical file manager.
However, lets say you want to move all the files with a certain
extension, or starting with a certain letter from one directory to
another? What's quicker, opening a dos prompt, typing "cd directory
<enter>, move *.abc c:\directory <enter>", or going into the Windows
Explorer, clicking arrange by type, using the holding down the shift
key to select the files, dragging and dropping them to the new
directory? Personally, I type fast enough to make the first one the
more convenient alternative, and I don't require a visual "metaphor"
to help me understand the filesystem.

One of the misconceptions that people seem to have about command line
advocates in general and *nix users in specific is that we all use a
command line for the sake of using a command line. I wouldn't presume
to speak for anyone else, but personally I use whatever method is
quicker and more convenient for me. If that's a GUI, then I use that.
If it's a CLI, then I use that.

>  The same for
>account creation:  Would you rather add a user through a command line interface or
>through a GUI that laid your choices out for you and just made
>you pick?

If I was new to adding users (which I am), then I would (and do).
However, I'm sure there are some people who find it much quicker to
add a user using adduser with some command arguments, rather than
using checkboxes and dialogue boxes.

>    My point is that GUIs aren't just fluff.  They make life easier.  If Linux
>developers pooh-pooh GUI interfaces because of some misguided elitist
>techie pride, they'll only have themselves to blame when Linux goes the way of OS/2.

Have you looked at the X11 software section in the Tucows Linux site?
There is a great deal of easy to use GUI software already available,
and the amount is growing.

--
"Ma cheri... Wait, she'll hate that, she hateth it when I write in
French. I usually conduct my correthpondence in fag, but it'th amazing

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mitsumi CD-ROM
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:11:55 -0400

De Geeter Jef wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >This has a Mitsumi double speed CD-ROM drive with its own interface
> >(not IDE). The model number is CRMC-FXOOD.
> >
> >When I try to install the OS, it is not recognising the CD-ROM drive.
> >Is this not supported, or am I doing something wrong? I couldn't find
> >much useful on the Redhat hardware compatibility guide.
> >

> I had the same problem with a Sony cd-rom 2x drive (cdu-33A) with his
> interface on a
> Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro. The Linux installation gave the following
> error message:
> "I can't find the device anywhere on your system!"
>
> I think your cd-rom is supported, but because it is not a ATAPI/IDE drive,
> it gives some problems.
> The best thing you can do is: buy a new ATAPI/IDE drive (+- 50 euro) (I did,
> and it worked)
>
> bye

Before you go and buy another drive (if you haven't already) try typing
sbpcd=[baseaddress],SoundBlaster at the linux boot prompt.  That ought to
work.  You just need to know the base address of your CD-ROM, of course.

------------------------------

From: "Chen TH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,tw.bbs.comp.hacker,tw.bbs.comp.hardware,tw.bbs.comp.linux,tw.bbs.comp.www,tw.bbs.rec.beautysalon,tw.bbs.rec.pcgame,tw.bbs.rec.pcgame.foreign
Subject: ¤@­ÓÁÈ¿úªº³nÅé
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:01:57 +0800

·Q¼W¥[¦¬¤J!!¸Õ¸ÕµL»k!!

GoToWorld ´£¨Ñ¤F¤@­Ó«Ü¦nªºÂsÄý¤u¨ãBROWSER
§K¶O¦¨¬°·|­û«á¡A·í§A¥Î³o­ÓBROWSERªº®É­Ô¡A§A¨C¤p®É¥¿¦bÁȨú$0.4¬ü¤¸¼s§i¶O!
¤¶²Ðµ¹ªB¤Í«á¡AªB¤Í¥Îªº®É­Ô§A¤S¦³¿ú¦¬¡AªB¤ÍªºªB¤Í¥Î®É§A³£¦³¿ú¦¬¡A
²{¦b¸gÀÙ¤£¦n¡AÀ°¸É®a®x¦¬¤J³£¦n¹À¡A¤µ¤Ñ¥ß¨è°Ñ¥[§a¡C

¦p¦ó¤¶²ÐªB¤Í¥[¤J¡S³Ì²³æªº¤èªk´N¬O§A¦bµn°O«ásend emailµ¹§AªºªB¤Í¡A¤¶²Ð¥L­Ì¥[
¤J¡A¨ä¦¸¬O¥Î­Ó¤Hºô­¶«Å¶Ç¡A°O±o¦bemail©Î­Ó¤Hºô­¶¤¤¥[¤J¤U¦Cºô§}:
http://www.gotoworld.com/getpaid/register/default.asp?rid=1012549680
¯u¬OµL¥»¥Í§Qªº¦n¤èªk!¦³¿³½ì´N¥h¬Ý¬Ý§a!

======================
Chen TH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From Taipei's Man
======================

comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Albrecht Dreß)
Subject: Re: driver for AMCC S5933
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 06:32:58 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

> Yes,
>   A nice gentleman from Italy shared some development code he had worked
> on for the s5933. It seems to work pretty darn well.
> His name is Andrea Cisternino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[snip]
>> Is there driver for AMCC S5933 (Linux Red Hat for PC Pentium)?
>> If there is, as it to teceive?

I recently wrote a driver for a Hunt Engineering DSP card which also uses the
S5933.  You will find it on the metalab archive (aka sunsite)

        http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/kernel/misc-cards/

under the name hepc3-0.9.0.tar.gz.  I am working on a new version with support
for 2.2 kernels and LinuxPPC, which is almost finished except for the docs.

If you are interested, please send me a mail, and I will send you the "pre-
release"...

Hope this helps, Albrecht,

| Dr.-Ing. Albrecht Dre\ss                                     ----           |
| Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Radioastronomie   |\       /      /o  o\          |
| Abteilung f\"ur Infrarot-Interferometrie    |  \    /      |  /   |         |
| Auf dem H\"ugel 69                          |    \ |        \ ---/          |
| D-53121 Bonn (Germany)          ------------+------+-------------------     |
|                                             |    / |                        |
| Phone (+49) 228 525 319                     |  /  /                         |
| Fax   (+49) 228 525 411                     |/   /                          |
| Mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                  |
+-------------- electrical engineers do it with less resistance --------------+

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs CD820E cdrom & RedHat Linux 6.0
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:09:17 -0400

Don McDaniel wrote:

> I began to install RedHat Linux 6.0, but got only so far as to insert the cd
> into the cdrom drive. Wouldnt you know it, my drive is not on the list of
> supported devices. It is a Creative Labs CD820E.
>
> I tried entering "linux hdc=cdrom" at the boot prompt, but this did not
> work. And it shouldnt have worked, as i have a proprietary card with the
> cdrom drive. It doesnt hook up directly to an IDE connecter in my computer.
> At least i think it doesnt. The problem is i just dont know.
>
> It was passed down to me, so i cant get anything out of Creative Labs about
> it. I searched their site for hours, and found out nothing..
>
> I would appreciate some advice from someone WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE of THIS
> PARTICULAR DEVICE, ONLY. I dont want this posting to disappear like the
> others i have posted....
>
> Thanks,
> Don McDaniel

Hi, Don,

Try this at the lilo boot prompt:

sbpcd=(baseaddress),SoundBlaster

In other words, if your base address was 220, you would enter:

sbpcd=220,SoundBlaster

That ought to work, as SoundBlaster CD-ROMs use the sbpcd driver.  Hope that
helps.  Let me know if you have any problesm with it.

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster 16 - Out of ideas on how to get it to work
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:02:51 -0400

Eric Poole wrote:

> Most of today has been pretty much wasted trying to get a Soundblaster
> 16 to make a noise with LInux.
>
> Setup: Slackware 4.0, kernel 2.2.5 (also tried 2.2.6 and 2.2.7),
> Pentium 233, 256 megs RAM.
>
> The Soundblaster was part of a bundle with a CD drive.  It is intended
> for Windoze 95/98, and the documentation provides zero (0) guidance as
> to what the default addresses / IRQs / DMAs are or how to set them.
>
> I have done the Dejanews searches, read the
> /usr/src/linux/Documentatino/sound stuff, read the Sound-HOWTO, and
> basically read up on everything I can find on the Soundblaster.
>
> I have tried compiling sound and Soundblaster support in the kernel,
> and compiling and installing it as modules.
>
> I have tried PnP (can't really figure out how to get that to work
> either so can't really say if it failed to recognize the sound card
> simply because I can't set it up right).
>
> I even went so far as to install Windows 98 on another junk hard drive
> I had lying around, just for the sole purpose of running it on this
> machine and seeing what it thinks the IO/IRQ/DMA settings for the
> sound card are.  It came up with IO's of 220,300, and 388; IRQ 9; and
> DMA's of 3 and 1. (???).
>
> The sound card worked fine under the above mentioned test installation
> of Win98, but will not generate one squeak under Linux.  A dmesg after
> bootup says "Sound initialization started" followed immediately by
> "Sound initialization complete", indicating that it can't find a sound
> card.  Doing a cat /dev/sndstat shows the sound card in parens,
> indicating the system can't see it.
>
> I'm out of clues and ideas.  Anyone had any better luck?

It sounds like you've gone through a lot of possibilities, but for the
sake of thoroughness, let me ask:  Did you run sndconfig?  That's what
I had to do to get my sound card working.  Also, kernel 2.2.10 has
support for your CD-ROM drive.  (It sounds like the same one I have:  an
MKE/Panasonic).