Linux-Hardware Digest #744, Volume #10           Mon, 12 Jul 99 16:13:51 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers (Robert Leong)
  Re: wintv & lack of channels in linux
  Re: ati rage pro ("Alex Roussel")
  Re: Linux -> NT (Anders Buch)
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers (Craig Ruff)
  problems to install a 86C362 S3 TRIO 3D2X under X ("David Gernez")
  Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop? (Serban-Mihai Popescu)
  sound card (jgh)
  Linux and Matrox Millenium G400????? (Nico)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Hobbyist©)
  Re: Pb with USR/3Com 56K Prof. Message Modem and RH 6.0 (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
  Re: Graphic Card : ATI Expert 98 ("Steve Doney")
  Re: Non-Windows digital cameras? (Markus Wandel)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Michael)
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers (David Fox)
  Re: wintv & lack of channels in linux ("Jeff Volckaert")
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Hobbyist©)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
  Re: Problems with Quantum (Konstantopoulos S.)
  Sound and Mouse in Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Leong)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:45:44 GMT

Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How about the speed ratings for CD-ROM drives, it started with simple
2X, then 4X and so on, but some where along the way someone decided to
change the de facto standards of X, and offers an incredible 24X (or
higher) speed.  BUT, this X is not the same X as before.

Looks great in the retail stores, but buyer beware.

>You've just discovered what all hard disk manufacturers have been doing
>for the last decade or more. Expect it to get worse. As they get bigger,
>the difference between the definitions of mega, giga, terra, etc for
>binary and decimal will get bigger.
>
>Floppy drives are even weirder. We started out with 360K disks and then
>onto 720K disks. These were measured in the proper binary units.
>i.e 720K = 720 * 1024 bytes
>
>What happened when they doubled the size again? We get 1440K disks. Only,
>this is too long, so they called them 1.44M.
>i.e 1440K  = 1440 * 1024
>          != 1.44 * 1024 * 1024
>
>All sorts of weird crap like this happens. Another example is that monitor
>(and TV) sizes are measured from the outside of the CRT, not the viewable
>screen size. So your 17" monitor only has about a 15" viewable diagonal.
>
>bye

Robert Leong 805-522-0092
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peripheral Technology Group (PTG)  612-942-7474
Maker of the RAIDION storage subsystem.
www.ptgs.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: wintv & lack of channels in linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:31:43 -0700

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:33:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7lr9u0$t3h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I own a hauppauge WinTV and have a few problems. Actually just one
>> problem.
>> I compiled the kernel (2.2.7) with V4L support. I compliled kwintv and
>> xawtv from source.
>> I can run kwintv (or xawtv) but i can not change the channels. When I
>go
>> to other operating systems (NT and BeOS) I can change them. Once I go
>> back to Linux I can watch the channel that i last watched in the other
>> OS.
>> Can someone please tell me what the problem is here? What have i
>> misconfigured?
>> thanks,
>> egon
>>
>I still haven't figured this one out. Can anyone help? This is an
>annoying problem... any help would be most appreciated.
>thanks,
>egon

        Did you load the tuner module?

jedi@dementia  /home/jedi >lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
tuner                   1940   1
bttv                   33276   0
i2c                     3220   2  [tuner bttv]

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "Alex Roussel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ati rage pro
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:18:05 -0400

good you use Xconfigurator, but make sure you have the latest. Also, get the
latest servers, 3.3.3.1-1.1

I have a 3D Rage LT Pro, and I -only- get 1280x768 16bpp.

Edit the XF86Config in the server part with DefaultColorDepth = 16 or 32.

hope this helps

Subject: Re: Linux -> NT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Buch)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:12:46 GMT

In article <7md1ni$a6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nova  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, I removed all the partitions from my hardrive in order to install NT,
>Inserted the boot diskette for Nt and continued onward....  The install
>proceed smoothtly, until.....The restart, Upon the resteart the Letters LI
>appeared, a ghostlike reminder of the Linux (or rather LILO) that once
>lived on this machine, after the LI appears it freezes.....
>I reformatted the drive for Fat, and tried NTFS, I created one single
>partition for NT, yet the computer continues to give me the LI, and then a
>freeze...
>Can you help to alleviate this problem, All help is greatly appreciated,,,
>Thnx,

Your "problem" is that LILO is still sitting on the master boot record (MBR)
of your hard disk.  For some reason windoze products have the belief that
only their boot programs can reside there...

If you have an old dos boot floppy, it might work to boot in dos from that
disk and then give the command

fdisk /mbr

This should overwrite the MBR program with Micro$oft's (old?) version, and
possibly you can continue from there.

If it works, enjoy your New Troubles!

--
Anders Skovsted Buch           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2072 East Hall                 Phone:  (734) 477-9052

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Ruff)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 12 Jul 1999 11:44:30 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What strange metric is IBM now using to compute hard disk sizes that they
>come up with "16.8 GB" ?

It is called "The Marketing Unit of Disk Capacity", aka Marketing
{Mega,Giga}bytes.  This unit of measurement is actually very useful,
as it can mean whatever the manufacturer means.

However, as a consumer concerned about what you are actually getting,
it is somewhat like the EPA gasoline mileage figures, which are almost
always footnoted with "your mileage may vary".

When I need this information, I ask (or look) for the number of user
accessible sectors + the sector size.
--
Craig Ruff              NCAR                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(303) 497-1211          P.O. Box 3000

------------------------------

From: "David Gernez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems to install a 86C362 S3 TRIO 3D2X under X
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:26:20 +0200

Hi,

I have problems to install a 86C362 S3 TRIO 3D2X under X. Is there a server
for it? If there is one where can I find it?

I can only install VGA server... too bad :(

Thks

David

------------------------------

From: Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron compatibility?  What is best laptop?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:00:29 GMT

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > However, the new I3500 makes use of a dreaded Neomagic MagicMedia
> > chipset; not only it's not supported by the XBF_ servers for
> > Neomagic
>
> It is. As well as XFree.
>
> >but it has also some unsupported hw for the sound system. AFAIK, for
> >the time being there is no way for making the sound work.
>
> It works most of the time with OSS - there are also multiple mini
> how-tos on getting it to work with the standard linux sound driver.
>
> I run a 3500, and it works well.
There are several generations of I3500. With different hardware inside.
You're lucky yours is fully supported. Some models use the NM2260
MagicMedia 256ZX. The last time I checked the XFCom_NeoMagic server
(from Precision Insight Inc.), it supported Neomagic chipsets up to
x0005 (NM2200); the NM2260 one is x0006 and the server will spit you
out.

That's why I wanted to warn the initial poster about the manufacturer
policy to attach the same brand name to computers with different
hardware. The simple fact that you have a fully supported I3500 doesn't
necessarily mean that the particular I3500 he/she wants to buy will be.

B.r.

Serban

------------------------------

From: jgh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:02:08 -0500

i am using Redhat Linux 52.
2.2.10 kenel

until i installed a voodoo2 video card, i didnt' have a problem with
sound. in my logs it indicates that there is failure on the irq test of 7
for driver of ad1848/cs4232 <i have a crystal chip for my sound card>

i read through the docs some weeks ago and found out a problem with the
soundconfig utility for redhat and my particular soundcard, by removing
some parameters i was able to use sound with no problems up until this
point.

my interrupts file in /proc indicates only 7 being used for sound...and i
checked my bios for any conflicts, the printer was on 7 and i have been
having problems with that as well, i put the printer on 5, and now the
priter, post script, works lovely, so lovely

but the sound is a no go....

Jul 11 19:12:08 digitalklown kernel: ad1848: Interrupt test failed (IRQ7)

then i see this....dont know why it is switching...maybe trying to find
something that is open?

Jul 11 19:24:41 digitalklown kernel: ad1848: Interrupt test failed (IRQ3)

depending on when i switched it in the bios, though, this could be
reporting the irq conflict i had as a result of the bios....dunno?

Jul 11 19:58:12 digitalklown kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out -
IRQ/DRQ config error?
Jul 11 19:58:12 digitalklown kernel: ad1848: Auto calibration timed
out(1).
Jul 11 19:58:12 digitalklown kernel: ad1848: Auto calibration timed
out(3).

l 11 19:59:52 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jul 11 19:59:52 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module
sound-service-0-3
Jul 11 20:02:03 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jul 11 20:02:03 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module
sound-service-0-3
Jul 11 20:02:23 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jul 11 20:02:23 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module
sound-service-0-3
Jul 11 20:02:50 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jul 11 20:02:51 digitalklown modprobe: can't locate module
sound-service-0-3

thanks for your help

/jgh

------------------------------

From: Nico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Matrox Millenium G400?????
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:21:28 +0200

Hi all,

Can ayone tell me if there is progres in writing a driver that makes the
G400 run under R.H.5.2????
Thanx

Nocturnus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:06:45 GMT

>     I think the main problem is that some Linux proponents are such
because they
> hate Microsoft, and therefore can't conceive that Windows does
anything, no
> matter how small, better than Linux.  This kind of zealousness
doesn't serve
> Linux well.  Is Linux more stable?  Yes.  Is it *getting* easier to
set up?
> Yes.  Is it as easy to install as Windows?  No.  Same degree of
hardware
> compatibility?  No.  The question is whether you want security and
stability
> (i.e., Linux) or expandability and ease-of-use (i.e., Windows).  No
one choice
> is best for all users.  Novices benefit from Windows more (because
they don't
> know a lot about the technical end, and need more flexibility in
choosing
> hardware (since they don't know a lot about it) and techie types
benefit from
> Linux more, because of stability and robustness.  Just as no one
would sanely
> argue that Windows98 is an industrial-strength OS, neither should
anyone argue
> that Linux is as easy to set up as Windows.  It just ain't so.
>

> > --
> > A Hobbyist.
> >
> > I use what works best for me and not what works best
> > for others.
> >
> >     >>>Down with the irrational OS zealot!!!<<<

I have nothing against the Linux operating system... just its users.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyist©)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:08:39 -0500

On 12 Jul 1999 20:30:16 +0200, Sven Utcke scrawled these sagacious words

    | Yes, I know how you feel.  However, this seems mostly a question of
    | hardware.  I have this year installed both Win95 (yes, I know) and
    | SuSE 6.0 on two computers each, namely:
    |
    | a) Thinkpad 701c
    | b) generic AMD K6-2
    |
    | On the Thinkpad 701c, installing Linux was a freaking nightmare.  You
    | couldn't access the CD (PCMCIA) before installing Linux, but needed
    | the CD in order to install Linux.  I got interrupt-conflicts.  I only
    | had a small disk, so I was constantly missing bit's and pieces.
    | Windows, by comparison, was easy and straighforward, although I had to
    | do it 3 times before it was running properly.
    |
    | On the AMD K6-2 with lots of muscle, installing Linux was a breeze and
    | took me _well_ under 3 hours.  Installing Windows took me two weeks,
    | most of which I spent hunting for patches.  Win95 does not run on
    | AMD-processors faster than 300MHz, to name just one problem, and
    | things went downhill from there... Windows still doesn't run 100%
    | correct (even for Windows), but at least doesn't crash unexpectedly
    | more than usual...
    |
    | What this probably boils down to is that on a "standard" computer I
    | would install Linux every day, while on anything out of the ordinary
    | Win will install with less hassle.

Actually, I handpick my hardware and assemble my own machines so I haven't
had an OS barf on me during an install and I've tried all that would
interest me. I tend to have my headaches/challenges adding hardware like
for instance getting my two SCSI cards to exist without conflict (that was
a surprising challenge)

The linux install went well. I am speaking about configuring after the
install. Well, I had been through a spectrum of experience with each
trial. The first was the longest since I couldn't get my video card to
work with the version of XFree86 that I was using but that's history.

With RedHat 5.2 things were a breeze except for the tricky partitioning
(unix is so different and that is part of the obstacle) but further
configuring, I found, was unnecessarily tedious. I must admit that I do
have a short fuse with Linux ( and eny other OS for that matter which I
wish to try ) considering that I installed it just out of curiosity mainly
and of course, with a willingness to change if I was impressed.

BeOS is the one to try. It's an *absolute* pleasure and does things very
nicely and in a usable fashion. It's also a breeze to install. BeOS is
certainly not windows so what's the deal linux fans? :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
Subject: Re: Pb with USR/3Com 56K Prof. Message Modem and RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:43:28 GMT

Dnia Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:55:47 GMT, Bastien Moinet
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisa³(a):

>Hi.
>I just bought a external 56K modem (USR/3Com 56K Prof. Message modem)
>and i also justed updated my RH 5.2 in 6.0. I used to a 28.8K Olitec
>which works very well with Linux. Now, i can't connect anymore with my
>new modem. I asked the vendor who said it was NOT a winmodem. The modem
>composes the number of my ISP correctly, then send "Expect ogin:" then
>doesn't go further. Why ?! I tried with netcg, ezppp, kppp, etc., it's
>always the same...
>Anyone has an idea ?

Have you tried using minicom and logging to your ISP manually? I bet there's
an error in your chat script.
BTW, does your older modem work properly after the system upgrade?

                         Piotr Ingling

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Steve Doney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Graphic Card : ATI Expert 98
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:23:55 +0100

Nice to hear that as my new m/board and ATI Expert 98 card should arrive
tomorrow. Is the ATI driver package part of the
standard install or is it a download.

Steve
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: Non-Windows digital cameras?
Date: 12 Jul 1999 19:14:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ken  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What's a good digital camera for use on systems other than Windows?
>
>I'm looking for something to produce images on the web. I mostly use
>OS/2, but also use Linux, and less frequently NT4 and Win98. I can see
>having a Mac in the future.

A friend of mine has a Kodak DC210 and downloads the pictures using the
serial cable and perl scripts running under FreeBSD.  The scripts also
work (unmodified) under Linux and the transfers are acceptably fast
at 115kbps.  At worst this means the protocol for talking to the camera
is understood if you want to roll your own download program for another
OS, at best the perl stuff can be adapted.

I think there are other brands of cameras whose serial cable download
protocol is also known / implemented in hackware.

Markus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:50:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv) wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:27:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael) wrote:
>
>>And of course you said a few days ago that the celeron was as quick as
>>the k6 III in this area.... change of tune?  Shall I quote?
>
>Wrong again.  Here's what I said:
>
><quote>
>Get real.  There's something wrong with your machine.  Celerons are
>very snappy in Windows, much more so than AMD machines I have seen.

Dude you better go get an English class for reading comprehension.
Add logic after you get basic English.  If you don't think the clear
implication of your statement is that Celerons are faster than AMD
k6's comes from that quote, there is no sense in talking and so I
won't.  The fact that you would quote again and still not understand
what YOU said is scary.

>Please show where I state that Celery is faster than K6-III.  I stand
>by the above statement.

Scary.  Real scary to me.
>My real "point" here is that the slight differences in "CPU speed"
>cannot explain your statements that your AMD machine responded
>"instantaneously" while the Intel machine took "a second or so".  If
>there's really that dramatic a difference, it AIN'T (as you claimed)
>because the AMD chip has twice the L2 chache, or that is so much
>faster overall.  These chips are not that different in performance,
>and other variables in the system can easily out-weigh the differences
>in raw CPU power.

Fine you win...you're correct, my observations are wrong Happy Now?

>I have a friend with a K6-2 machine that is dramatically less
>responsive than my Celery machine, and I don't for a minute think that
>it's because his CPU is so slow.  There's obviously something else
>going on, to the detriment of his machine.

Who even was talking about k6-2's ...all my references were to k6
3...never to a k6 2.  Ok this is the end of my responses to your
childish reponses to me.  You are impolite, rude, and lack reading
comprehension so there's no point in discussing this.

Bye.

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 12 Jul 1999 11:44:01 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Ruff) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >What strange metric is IBM now using to compute hard disk sizes that they
> >come up with "16.8 GB" ?
>
> It is called "The Marketing Unit of Disk Capacity", aka Marketing
> {Mega,Giga}bytes.  This unit of measurement is actually very useful,
> as it can mean whatever the manufacturer means.
>
> However, as a consumer concerned about what you are actually getting,
> it is somewhat like the EPA gasoline mileage figures, which are almost
> always footnoted with "your mileage may vary".

It does *not* mean whatever the manufacturer [wants it to] mean.  It
is an honest attempt by the manufacturers to be both clear and
competitive.  Remember, kilo didn't always mean 1024, for the most
part it still means 1000.  By the same token, the EPA milage doesn't
mean ``whatever the government wants it to mean'', it is the result
of a carefully controlled test.  Of *course* your milage will vary,
only a numbskull would expect otherwise.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:43:56 -0400

Can you hit 'O' to pull up the options screen?  I use the up & down arrows
to change channels.  Grab the latest XawTV Beta
 http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/v4l/xawtv-3.0beta4.tar.gz ) and see if
that helps.

Jeff Volckaert

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyist©)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:54:23 -0500

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:06:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrawled these
sagacious words ...

 :    I have nothing against the Linux operating system... just its users.
 :
 :

Agreed but some of the users is more like it. I know a lot of them
personally that I can have reasonable arguments with. The one here on
usenet by and large quite hard-assed about their holy-grail OS .... to put
it very unkindly that is. :/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:25:02 -0700

On 12 Jul 1999 20:30:16 +0200, Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyist©) writes:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:22:21 GMT, Shice Beoney scrawled these sagacious
>> words ...
[deletia]
>> for information to get connected to the internet and to get Netscape to
>> run, I ditched it.
>
>Yes, I know how you feel.  However, this seems mostly a question of
>hardware.  I have this year installed both Win95 (yes, I know) and
>SuSE 6.0 on two computers each, namely:
>
>a) Thinkpad 701c
>b) generic AMD K6-2
>
>On the Thinkpad 701c, installing Linux was a freaking nightmare.  You
>couldn't access the CD (PCMCIA) before installing Linux, but needed
>the CD in order to install Linux.  I got interrupt-conflicts.  I only

        You can install linux from the network. Did you try that?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantopoulos S.)
Subject: Re: Problems with Quantum
Date: 12 Jul 1999 19:27:15 GMT

Leejay Wu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> /dev/hdc is the device file corresponding to the *entire* master drive
> on the secondary IDE channel, *not* to any one partition on the drive.
> There aren't *that* many instances in which you'll want to use /dev/hdc
> vs., say, /dev/hdc[1|2|...]  Given that you referred to partitions and
> using fdisk, I doubt that you want to use /dev/hdc.

That might be so, and I guess would have stopped me further down the
road, but still doesn't explain why I get an empty disk (that is,
without any partitions) every time I re-run fdisk.

Before you ask, yes I [w]rite, not [q]uit, my way out of fdisk.

The geometry info at boot-up is a good hint, I'll get right on it once
I finish this message and can reboot.

(Although I do hate having to reboot my linux box.)

Thanks,
stasinos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sound and Mouse in Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:26:22 GMT

How do you setup a sound card in Linux.  What utility do you use.  I am
as much of a newbie as you could possibly get.  Basicly have just dived
in before even getting my feet wet, at all.  I have a sound blaster
compatable card.

Second issue.  I have a Kensington Mounse in a Box Sroll Mouse.  Basicly
this is Kensington's version of the Intellimouse.  Kensington's website
says they have developed no drivers for Unix.  I have really grown
attachted to using my scroll button.  Is there anyway I can get back
that functionality.  The intelimouse driver does not work AT ALL!  The
mouse bounces all over the screen.  Right now the best I can do is
generic three button mouse.

Thanks ahead of time for any help given.