Linux-Hardware Digest #749, Volume #10           Tue, 13 Jul 99 07:13:23 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Dev's won't work??? (Ron Gibson)
  36 GB LVD SCSI & FDISK (David Brian Lawson)
  Sound Card Help ("Brian")
  Re: i740 (Karlo Szabo)
  DSL PacBell (Arnold Komala)
  Diamond Sonic Impact S70 PCI sound card ("Mark")
  Debugging lpr and Epson 740 ("James Wall")
  Re: QuickCam VC anyone? (Mircea)
  Re: SCSI controller for ZIP 250 (Tim Moore)
  Recommend: good AGP video card (Carlos Wexler)
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers (Tark)
  Re: Limit Access By Time or Date (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Recommend:  good AGP video card (Carlos Wexler)
  Experiences with CD-RW Ricoh 7040S? (Frank Paehlke)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Colin Andrew Percival)
  Re: Recommendation sought:  good AGP video card (Ian Tester)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? ("FM")
  Re: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp???? ("Ron Keller")
  ATI Expert 128 Video ("Ron Keller")
  Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers (Brown Bear)
  bttvgrab, sound (Thomas Schwarze)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Helge Hafting)
  configuring ISDN adapter for Red Hat (Srikanth Minnam)
  Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 ("Ricardo C.")
  Modular Technology Modem (Dean Edwards)
  Re: UDMA 66 Support (Helge Hafting)
  RE: configuring ISDN adapter for Red Hat ("Carlos RCU")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Dev's won't work???
Date: 13 Jul 1999 04:16:23 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:34:56, "Thierry ANDRIAMIRADO"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >For instance invoking commands such as "ftape" or "fd0" I get a no such
> >device message.  However when viewing the directory with MC the devices
> >and or links are there and they have been made.

> I'm having the   same problem. I updated my RedHat 5.2 to RH6 so my printer
> doesn't work anymore!!
> I discovered that my /dev/lp symbolink link disapeared and I re-created it!
> But it doesn't work anymore! any idea?

You got me.  I've never seen this one before.  Whenever I've had a
device problem it's been because they weren't made.  I made them and
everything was all right.  I'm beginning to think that I made a mistake
in recompiling the kernel.

Did you use MAKEDEV?  It is a little daunting unless you're pretty good
at perl but I managed to trudge my way through it.  In my case I needed
to make up to hda16 and it would only go to hda8.  I finally found an #
in the script after 8 and moved it to after 16 and all was well.

                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Brian Lawson)
Subject: 36 GB LVD SCSI & FDISK
Date: 13 Jul 1999 00:35:26 -0500

We just bought 2 of the new 36 GB LVD SCSI drives and put them in our Linux box
at work. The goal is/was to stripe the two of them into a nice fat 72 GB
partition for a large database.  The problem is that FDISK won't create a
partition bigger than 24 million blocks for some reason.  I can't imagine
what magic number this blows away but whatever it is, we hit it.  Right
now I have the drives cut into 2 18 GB partitions per drive and then I
stripped over that.  That seems to work but I know that it isn't optimal.
Does anyone have any clues?  I've searched for the fdisk source one web sites
hoping there might be a new one but I can't even find it anywhere.  I didn't
think SCSI had these problems?

Also, does anyone know if the RAID setup in RedHat 6.0 is safe and stable.  I
had a heck of a time getting it to work but it does seem to stripe the 4 18GB
partitions ok.

Thanks for any help,

        Dave

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card Help
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:36:43 GMT

I am using redhat 5.2 with the kernel 2.0.36

I am having trouble with my sound card.
It is a ESS with full Adlib, Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro
compatibility as well as plug and pray.

This information came from my windows setup:
ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive

IRQ: 05
I/O: 0220h-022FH
I/O: 0388h-038Bh
I/O: 0330h-0331h
DMA:01
DMA:03

When I try to set it up I get this error:
/lib/modules/preferred/misc/sb.o:init_module:Device or resource busy
sound:Device or resource busy

Can anyone help?

I am new to linux so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------

From: Karlo Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i740
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:10:00 +1000

"crtl" + "Alt" + backspace will exit you from X-windows.
"crtl" + "Alt" + the plus or negative key changes the resolution of X.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arnold Komala)
Subject: DSL PacBell
Date: 13 Jul 1999 05:46:00 GMT

Has anyone tried the DSL from PacBell? How about the modem and the NIC
included in the package? Are they compatible with RedHat 6.0?

Thanks
- Arnold -

------------------------------

From: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Sonic Impact S70 PCI sound card
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:50:06 -0400

has anyone gotten one of these cards to work in RH6??

Please let me know if anyone has successfully done so.

------------------------------

From: "James Wall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Debugging lpr and Epson 740
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:08:33 -0400

Hi,

    I'm trying to get my epson 740 to print and an not having much luck, I'm
running linuxPPC on a PowerMac G3. I found some notes above on this but they
were for an i86 system printing though a parallel port and I use a serial
port for printing. When I try to print I get first some junk then after that
I get nada. There are no errors listed in the lpr log and lpq and lpc show
nothing that seems unusual. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about
debugging this?

Thanks in advance for any help
--
James Wall

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: QuickCam VC anyone?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:30:26 -0400

Alex Kaufman wrote:

> Please guys, throw me a bone here! It really is a bummer to have to boot
> win98 whenever I need it. I noticed while compiling 2.2.10 there is
> video for linux in the options, but the Quickcam (color) entry is grayed
> out always. Hints/tips?

The VC isn't supported yet, and neither is the Pro. There's only support
for the older B&W and Color Quickcam.

MST

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:34:32 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI controller for ZIP 250

iomega sells a $49 scsi controller card on their inhouse sales page.  I
use a similar card called the JazJet with mine ($99).
--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Recommend: good AGP video card
Date: 12 Jul 1999 16:03:46 GMT

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of selecting an AGP video card for a new computer and
I am looking for recommendations...  I plan to use it with a 19" monitor
at 1600x1200.  The requirements are good XFree support and sharp images at
the abovementioned resolution.  I will probably use it with 16bit
color---I can't see the difference wrt 24bit :-(.  I don't care for gaming
speeds or TV in/out.  OpenGL acceleration would be nice but not essential
and I can't spend a fortune... (if I save enough, I might be able to get a
2xPIII@500MHz for a nice SMP setup).

Thank you!

                        Carlos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tark)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:34:55 GMT

says...
> Their website does not show the actual number of sectors, so you don't know
> really unless you actually buy one.  The specs are at (with no real numbers)
> http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/1614data.htm

Nope. IBM always gives the user sector count. Right here:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/dtta6/dtta6des.htm

--
Tarkan Yetiser
VDSARG

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Limit Access By Time or Date
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:51:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Todd Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be nice
> if I could set some permissions in Linux saying that they could only use
> the modem from 6:00-8:00pm, and all day on weekends, for example.

Recently I noticed such programs on Freshmeat...
(http://freshmeat.net/)

I didn't try them...

- ACUA (140 kB)
http://acua.gist.net.au/

- Clobberd (57 kB)
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/admin/idle/

I hope this helps to regulate the children... :)

--
Mihaly Gyulai
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

From: Frank Paehlke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Experiences with CD-RW Ricoh 7040S?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:26:40 +0200

Hi,

I am currently planning to purchase a CD or CD-RW writer, and I am
wondering whether the Ricoh 7040S will pose any problems when accessed
from Linux? Is there anyone who has got experiences with this drive?

Bye,
Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Andrew Percival)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 13 Jul 1999 06:58:01 GMT

: >> The Pentium MMX is significantly faster than the non-MMX processor (enough
: >> to notice).   This is due solely to a 32K L1 cache vs. a 16K L1 cache.
: >
: >There were other enhancements Intel threw into the P55C over the
: >P54C. I think you'll find the P55C a tad faster even neglecting
: >the differences in the L1 size.
:       This is true, though the enhancements were mostly just tweaks
: more then anything much you can really point a finger at.  Branch
: prediction was apperently the only other fairly notable change.

  Changes to the I/O protocols/buffers were also significant.  I made a
post in comp.sys.intel a few months ago about this:

>   Improved branch prediction                      +8%
>   Improved I/O protocols (write combining mostly) +5%
>   Increased TLB associativity                     +1%
>   Increased cache size                            +6%
>   Additional pipestage                            -5%
>
>   These numbers are taken from an article entitled "MMX
>   Microarchitecture of Pentium® Processors With MMX Technology and
>   Pentium® II
>   Microprocessors" which appeared in the Q3 97 edition of the Intel
>   Technology Journal.

Colin Percival

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Recommendation sought:  good AGP video card
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:55:35 +1000

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, carlos wrote:

> I am in the process of selecting an AGP video card for a new computer
> and I am looking for recommendations...

I can personally recommend the Matrox G200. The TNT cards are also
supposed to be supported, but I don't know exactly how well.

> I plan to use it with a 19" monitor at 1600x1200.  The requirements are
> good XFree support and sharp images and text at the abovementioned
> resolution. I will probably use it with 16bit color---I can't see the
> difference wrt 24bit :-(.

I use a 17" Mitsubishi (AKA Diamond MM) monitor, running 1440x1080 @
16bpp. I tried 1600x1200, but it was a bit too big for my monitor.

Matrox has apparently always had good quality, and I can confirm that.
Going from a cheap $50 S3 ViRGE card to the G200 was a breath of fresh
air. It's so sharp! Nice...

> I don't care for gaming speeds or TV in/out.  OpenGL acceleration would
> be nice but not essential and I can't spend a fortune...

GLX (i.e OpenGL over X) for the G200 is in heavy development. John Carmack
(from iD software) is involved, so it's looking good!

The TNT drivers are done by someone hired by nVidia, and I think they're
also working on GLX for the TNT.

> (if I save enough, I might be able to get a 2xPIII@500MHz for a nice SMP
> setup).

Two PIII's?!!!

Get an AMD K6-III, and from the money you save from THAT, get an Alpha
machine! ;)

bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way

------------------------------

From: "FM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:55:41 -0400

Michael wrote:

>Its not the speed of applications that seems different, its the speed
>of Windows and operating system functions that seem faster with L3
>cache enabled.  No benchmark I know of will show this.  A typical
>business user may have six applications open.  Say Word, IE 5.0, Free
>Agent, a spreadsheet, Mail or some such mix.  When going to save a
>document, the context menu is instant on the k6 III with L3 enabled,
>with it disabled, its still nearly instant, but slower.

How much L3 cache does your system have? I thought I read somewhere that
K6-III allows up to 8MB of onboard L3 cache although it results in minimal
performance increase. I can see your point that such a large cache would
definitely smoothen the context-switching operation.

>If I switch
>to Mail, then come back, the lag is longer on the menu with L3
>disabled.

Hmm, btw, how much is this lag? I'm rather used to computers scratching the
harddisk that I can't see how much this lag could be, since even RAM access
should be rather instant from a user's point of view, unless heavy
iteration's involved.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Keller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:36:55 -0400

What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer
from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental
temp and machine temp. For instance, I am running a celeron 466 @ 583 and my
cpu operates at 5.5 degrees F above room temp.
When they are on sale, they are usually less than $20, and they run forever
on a couple AAA batteries, and the info is always right in front of you, no
need to query the BIOs or have a program running in the background.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Keller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Expert 128 Video
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:41:30 -0400

Does anyone have specific information concerning setting up and using the
ATI Expert 128 AGP Video Card with Mandrake 6.0, I am very new to LINUX so
if you can provide specific steps required to use this card, don't assume I
know more than I actually do please.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brown Bear)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:22:53 GMT

Data capacity is based on LBA sector counts which is less than normal
sector counts and it works out to be 16.88GB capacity.  Since they cut
off instead of round up the last digits, it becomes a 16.8GB drive.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Schwarze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: bttvgrab, sound
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:13:17 +0200

hi folks,
bttvgrab is a wonderful video grabbing solution, but for a replacement
of my analog videorecorder sound would be good. The problem seems that
bttvgrab read the sound from /dev/dsp, ok, but the sound from the
grabbercard is off, so the grab.wav contains quiteness. I looked around
the bttv sources and found no "ioctl(dev,AUDIO_...", which would be
necessary I believe.

Am I right? Is there any other possibility to get sound ?

(linux 2.2.7, Haupauge WinTV PCI, bttv-0.6.4, bttvgrab-0.15.4)

bye
        Thomas

--
Thomas Schwarze               Projektgruppe 3D, GFaI e.V.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]              www.gfai.de

------------------------------

From: Helge Hafting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:59:06 +0200

Chris Robato Yao wrote:
[...]
> Multiprocessing does not do shit on many applications.  Check the Ars
> Technica website and look for their dual cpu God Machine vs. Nerd
> Machine duel, and you will see that on many benchmarks, particularly
> with games and ZDNet application benchmarks among others, dual
> processing meant squat.

Lots of single apps don't benefit from multiple processors.
Benchmarking
those *one at a time* won't look good.  But
you can still benefit from multiple processors running several of those
single-threaded apps simultaneously.

The most common example is to have a bunch of open windows.  Then you
move/hide one and all the other redraws simultaneously.  This is
twice as fast with two processors.

Another example is the operating system doing background stuff like
internet communications and writing cached stuff back to disk.
This stuff will happen on some other processor, not the one
running your app.

Quite a few apps are multi-threaded these days too.  Word processors
running spellchecking in a background thread, various programs
doing printer formatting in a separate thread, and so on.

Helge Hafting

------------------------------

From: Srikanth Minnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: configuring ISDN adapter for Red Hat
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:41:23 +0300

Hi

I have installed Red Hat linux 6.0 on intel machine
which is already having NT 4.0 and ISDN adapter card installed.
I have been already using ISDN to dial in to my ISP provider.

The specs of ISDN card is
Manufacturer: Digicom
Model: Datafire Micro
ISA or PCI based.

I would like to know how to
setup ISDN in linux especially with the above mentioned
ISDN card.

I'm a newbie to linux

rgds

Srikanth

------------------------------

From: "Ricardo C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:08:11 -0700

Richard S wrote:

> After dual booting Windows 98 and Linux-Mandrake 5.3 distribution,  I purchased the
>ATI All-in-Wonder 128 card to do some video capturing. The good news is that it
>performs as promised under Windows, the bad news is I have apparently sacrificed
>Linux as there is no XServer available from XFree86. Does anyone know of any
>software, open source or commercial which will get my GUI back up and running.
> --
> E-Mail is Anti-Spam Enabled
>  Do not use your "Reply" Button
> Click:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from my knowledge the commercial X-Server from Xi Graphics supports the
ATI All in Wonder 128... you can d/l the demo from www.xig.com

/Ricardo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dean Edwards)
Subject: Modular Technology Modem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:37:19 GMT

Has anyone succeeded in getting the Mod Tech PnP 'Camera ready' ISA modem
working under linux?  I've run the DOS flash program to disable the camera
bit.

I have checked http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/19990710a.html where that
particular modem is mentioned but untested.

pnpdump >

# Card 2: (serial identifier 44 ff ff ff ff 01 90 73 4a)
# Vendor Id RSS9001, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0x44.
#     Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.4
#     ANSI string -->Rockwell K56Flex Plug & Play Modem<--
#
# Logical device id RSS9001
#     Device support I/O range check register
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE RSS9001/-1 (LD 0
#     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0400
#         Maximum IO base address 0xfff0
#         IO base alignment 16 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 0
# (IO 0 (SIZE 0) (BASE 0x0400) (CHECK))
#     *** ERROR *** No DMA channel specified!
#         16 bit DMA only
#         Logical device is not a bus master
#         DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#         DMA may execute in count by word mode
#         DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 4))
#     *** ERROR *** No IRQ specified!
 (NAME "RSS9001/-1[0]{Rockwell K56Flex Plug & Play Modem}")
 (ACT Y)
))
#
# Logical device id RSS0250
#     Device support I/O range check register
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x38
#     Device supports vendor reserved register @ 0x39
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE RSS9001/-1 (LD 1

followed by many configs

------------------------------

From: Helge Hafting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA 66 Support
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:39:45 +0200

Byron A Jeff wrote:

>   for servers, its a-nobrainer - go scsi.
>
> Why?
>
> It's a rhetorical question. I'll give two answers.
>
> 1) You can easily attach a lot more disks to the SCSI controller. 15 vs. 4
> in the average case.
>
> 2) The SCSI has disconnect which means that you can issue a command to a
> SCSI device and disconnect it from the bus until it's completed the request.
> In the meantime other requests can be issued to other devices. This I/O
> overlap can give a huge performance advantage over IDE.

Don't forget tagged queuing.  This let us send several requests to the
drive
before the current one finish processing.  Another 30%-40% speedup.
The drive may be transferring a recently read sector across the scsi bus
and simultaneously read the next requested sector into its internal
cache.
It may then be ready for transmission as soon as the current sector is
sent.  IDE drives can't do this because they never know what the next
sector request will be.  The best they can do is some prefetching that
doesn't help if the next request is for something else.  (And that
happens a lot more in multitasking systems.)  Prefetching may even hurt
if the drive happens to be in the middle of a wrong prefetch when
the previous transfer completes.

> However if UDMA/33 is working effectively, and if you need only one disk
> or less per IDE controller, then IDE can be extremely attractive vs. the
> costs of SCSI disks. IDE disks will always be in the price "sweet spot"
> but SCSI's never ever will because the volume isn't high enough.

I don't think the volume is the problem - it is a marketing decision.
It is exactly the same mechanical parts in scsi and ide drives.
The scsi interface electronics may cost a bit more to develop, but
this should be small compared to the mechanical parts.  And the same
scsi chips can be used on many different drives.

Helge Hafting

From: "Carlos RCU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: configuring ISDN adapter for Red Hat
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:05:28 +0200

You've to install the isdn4linux packet and look into its documentation
wheter your card is supported or not.
If you are used to configure PPP devices such modems you won't have too much
problems.
Good luck!

noticias [EMAIL PROTECTED]