From: Cassandra Graber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link DE-220CT NIC
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:43:39 GMT

I have a D-Link DE-220CT NIC and I can't get it to work with Red Hat
5.2.  I have downloaded the drivers off of the website.  It gives me a
makefile, and two .c files.  I know I have to somehow get those .c files
to .o files so I can compile them, but I don't know how.  If anyone can
give me some information about this, I would be extremely greatful.  I
have been working with this for 6 months now, and I'm a little
frustrated.  Thanks in advance.

--Cassandra

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Epson Color 600 and Debian 2.1
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 05:32:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Josh Morris  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Has anyone got this printer to work with Debian.  I'm running Debian 2.1
>with a 2.2.10 compiled kernel.  I installed Ghostscript 5.10 per a site
>recommended by the Ghostscript download page for Debian et al. distros.
>However, I have absolutely no idea how to set up this printer under Debian.
>I can do it under Red Hat quite easily, but unfortunately I haven't been
>able to get the printer to work using Debian.  Does someone know of a site
>that goes through this step by step, or maybe if they can post or e-mail me
>their printcap and corresponding filter file.  It was easy with Red Hat
>(kudos to them for that tool), and I'd like to explore Debian's strengths
>and weaknesses.  I've looked at magicfilter (which I couldn't find a entry
>for this printer and the only one I could get working was monochrome and
>flaky at that) and I've even tried copying over the files generated by Red
>Hat (which obviously didn't work - wouldn't it be nice if all Linux
>distributions played nicely together?).  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
>
>Josh Morris
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Did you get a binary of ghostscript or source and then compile it?
ghostscript can be compiled to support all or only a subset of available
printers.  To find out which printers a particular binary supports, use
the command "gs -h" and it will give you a list of available devices.
You would need either stcolor or uniprint (or both).  I use the uniprint
driver myself, though I used to use stcolor.  My printcap has lines
like:
lp|lpl:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp0360:
lpm:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp0720:
lph:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp01440:
lpraw:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:

where lp actually examines a file to see if it is postscript, and uses
low (360) resolution if it is, lpm is medium resolution, and lph is
high.  lpraw is raw output.  When I use GIMP to print a file, I tell
it to use lpraw because GIMP knows how to talk to an Epson 600.
        My filters, located in /var/spool/lpd/lp, look like:

#!/bin/sh
# ps_or_text_filter.sh
# This is a "magic filter" based on one in the Linux Printing-HOWTO.
# Checks the incoming file for Postscript or text and handles accordingly

read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ] ; then         # Looks like PostScript
#/usr/local/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=stcolor -r360x360 -sDithering=fscmyk -sOutputFile=-
stcolor.ps -
/usr/bin/gs -q @stc600pl.upp -sOutputFile=-  - -c quit
#touch /tmp/usingGS
#touch /tmp/lpLOW

else                                            # It's plain text
#touch /tmp/NOTusingGS
        echo $first_line                        # the stuff we grabbed before
        cat                                     # ... and the rest
        echo -ne \\f                            # ... and a formfeed
fi
#gs @stc600pl.upp -sOutputFile=/tmp/mystcouput golfer.ps -c quit

        Hope that helps.
--
Clear yourself to logodedaly and you cleave yourself from clarity
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Andrew Percival)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 04:49:22 GMT

David T. Wang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Did anyone tell you that you're a snoop?

  No, that's what the cache is ;-)

Colin Percival

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 14 Jul 1999 05:01:09 GMT

Colin Andrew Percival ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: David T. Wang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: : Did anyone tell you that you're a snoop?

:   No, that's what the cache is ;-)

Wow! processors that snoop the address bus and actually checking
their cache states against the MESI protocol?  Amazing!

--
main(){while(1){switch(rand()%7){case 0:printf("Illogical.\n");break;case 1:
printf("Balderdash.\n");break;case 2:printf("Non sequitur.\n");break;case 3:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Proteva TI 480
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 05:00:45 GMT

I am about to purchase a PIII system from ValueAmerica, a Proteva TI
480.  Has anyone tried to load RH6.0 on it?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux -> NT
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:09:17 -0700

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Anders Buch wrote:
>
> > In article <7md1ni$a6f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Nova  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Well, I removed all the partitions from my hardrive in order to install NT,
> > >Inserted the boot diskette for Nt and continued onward....  The install
> > >proceed smoothtly, until.....The restart, Upon the resteart the Letters LI
> > >appeared, a ghostlike reminder of the Linux (or rather LILO) that once
> > >lived on this machine, after the LI appears it freezes.....
> > >I reformatted the drive for Fat, and tried NTFS, I created one single
> > >partition for NT, yet the computer continues to give me the LI, and then a
> > >freeze...
> > >Can you help to alleviate this problem, All help is greatly appreciated,,,
> > >Thnx,
> >
> > Your "problem" is that LILO is still sitting on the master boot record (MBR)
> > of your hard disk.  For some reason windoze products have the belief that
> > only their boot programs can reside there...
> >
> > If you have an old dos boot floppy, it might work to boot in dos from that
> > disk and then give the command
> >
> > fdisk /mbr
> >
> > This should overwrite the MBR program with Micro$oft's (old?) version, and
> > possibly you can continue from there.
> >
> > If it works, enjoy your New Troubles!
> >
> > --
> > Anders Skovsted Buch           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > 2072 East Hall                 Phone:  (734) 477-9052
> > 525 East University Ave
> > Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1109
>
> If I remember correctly,  NT has a copy of fdisk somewhere.  You can
> create an NT boot floppy and put fdisk on it and then run
> fdisk /mbr
> But I think any dos fdisk will do since the form of the master boot record
> is quite standard.
> Also, if I remember my experience with NT, I think you can choose
> during installation to reformat the disk, and then it takes care of
> the MBR.
>
> --
>
> Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537
> Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

It may be too late but...  After you do the fdisk /mbr, you should not
have to reeinstall NT from scratch.  If you boot from the NT CDROM and
choose the "R" (Recover?) option (and snorkle through a few additional
screens), NT should rebuild the Master Boot Record.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DeAnn Iwan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: mouse prob with 2.2.7
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 02:42:42 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:47:06 +1000, Dennis Perisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I recently upgraded my Linux box to SuSE 6.1 and found that when I
>recompiled my kernel (v2.2.7), my mouse failed to work in X and in
>terminal mode.  It works fine, however, with the original SuSE kernel
>and with kernel version 2.2.6.  I've compiled the kernels exactly the
>same way so I can't figure out what the problem might be.  If anyone can
>tell me something, I would love to hear it!
>Thanks.
>Dennis.

         You might try rerunning an Xconfiguration routine (such as
sax) to (re) install the mouse.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Schultz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Compaq Presario 1600?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:36:48 -04-59

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:30:56 -0400, David J. Topper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So it seems quite obvious that the Linux laptop situation is quite
>grim.  I have yet to find a vendor with a machine that has:
>
>Supported Video chipset
>Supported audio chipset
>Supported modem
>
>It seems as though most will have 2 out of 3 at best.  I'd love to see a
>day where www.VENDOR.com would actually contain a page listing chipset
>specs.

Finding a supported built-in modem will be nearly impossible.  I'm not
familiar with any that work.  All that I've seen are winmodems.  It's no
big deal.  If you have a pcmcia port, you can use a pcmcia modem.

>So my latest question is about the Compaq Presario line.  Do they stack
>up?  How is the AMD K6-III 380 chip vs. the Portable PII-400?

I have a Presario 1230 at the office.  It has an odd pcmcia controller
that some versions of the pcmcia card support can't work with, but
everything (except the winmodem, of course) works.  This one has a 300
mhz Cyrix chip, I think.

My main machine is an older Fujitsu Lifebook 435DX.  Everything works,
it's stable and reliable and fast enough for my needs.  I don't do
computer games.

--
Bruce Schultz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rowan Hughes)
Subject: Abit ATA-66 PCI card ???
Date: 14 Jul 1999 06:32:47 GMT

I see Abit have an ATA66 PCI card with two controller
lines, the HA66. It's backwards compatible with ATA33/UDMA.
Do you know if 2.0.37 or 2.2.X will drive this card?

TIA
Dr Rowan Hughes                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Qld Dept Natural Resources          Forestry Bldg, 4.06
CIS group, Indooroopilly. W:07-38969705   H:07-38768083

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Andrew Percival)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 14 Jul 1999 07:12:33 GMT

David T. Wang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: : : Did anyone tell you that you're a snoop?
: :   No, that's what the cache is ;-)
: Wow! processors that snoop the address bus and actually checking
: their cache states against the MESI protocol?  Amazing!

  Hey, not all caches use MESI.  H&P only describe an ESI cache.

Colin Percival

------------------------------

From: "Kent Nilsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 36 GB LVD SCSI & FDISK
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:22:16 GMT

I just made a 209 Gb partition on a hardware RAID with fdisk, no problems at
all. I'm using Mandrake 6.0, check version of fdisk. If that doesn't work,
try using dos/win95/98 fdisk to make the partition.

Kent

> We just bought 2 of the new 36 GB LVD SCSI drives and put them in our
Linux box

------------------------------

From: "Pascal Dornier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:01:14 -0700

Ken wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>BTW, anybody have experience designing equipment that uses these
>formats? I'm designing a new gadget that will need Flash memory and I
>might go with a card slot instead of soldered-down chips and serial
>downloading. I figure anything that can read a PCMCIA hard disk will
>read either format, but just want to confirm that.

CompactFlash is great, if you configure it right, it will look just like
a ATA hard drive, which is trivial to hook up to most CPUs. No need for
all the PCMCIA overhead, and you won't have to mess around with a flash
file system either.

Pascal Dornier   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pcengines.com
Your Spec      + PC Engines            = Custom Embedded PC Hardware

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 14 Jul 1999 05:53:42 GMT

In <7mgua5$go9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Andrew Percival) writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: If the data is not available on the cache of one processor, does the
>: first processor look for it on the cache of the second processor?
>
>: You surely know a lot about caches do you?
>
>  I wasn't going to wade into this flamewar, but actually, yes, the first
>processor _does_ look for data in the 2nd processor's cache.
>  The first processor (after possibly asserting BR0 to ask for the bus)
>puts a memory read request onto the processor-chipset (frontside) bus
>indicating that it wants to read a certain location in memory.
>  The chipset sees this and starts working on it.
>  Simultaneously, the 2nd processor's cache looks at the request, and
>checks to see if that data is inside it.
>  If the data is not in the 2nd processor's cache, all proceeds as in a
>single processor machine, and data is read from memory via the chipset.
>  However, if it is in the 2nd processor's cache, the 2nd processor
>asserts #BOFF (backoff) to tell the chipset to release the bus, and
>provides the data itself.
>
>Colin Percival
>PS. I've simplified somewhat in my description (the P6 bus is
>transaction-oriented) but the above is essentially correct.

Thank you.  But that's not exactly the very fast nor direct way I have
in mind.

Rgds,

Chris

(And the NUMBER ONE top oxy-MORON
1.   Microsoft Works
---From the Top 50 Oxymorons (thanks to Richard Kennedy)

------------------------------

From: "Kent Nilsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanning scsi-drives
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:28:06 GMT

Hello, is there a simple way to see what disk is /dev/sd? Let's say I have 2
controllers, and several different-sized disks, how do I see what /dev/sd?'s
are available? In Solaris, I used to boot -r and the new disks were added as
devices. This gave me a good overview. In Linux all devices are already
present.

Kent

------------------------------

From: sciatica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise 2300+ not kicking ass
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:28:21 -0800

I have a Promise 2300+, 486dx2 66mhz, vlb, hooked up to
a seagate um 3184 I think.. 32 bit is set on in the bios
16 sector mode as well. And its plugged into the VLB IDE
header and all the jumpers are set properly.

Now what I am wondering is: is my linux using this card to
its full effect (Debian 2.1/2.0.36) ? I mean is it using
the VLB and 32 bits to its full effect? I didnt load any
special drivers for it.

Bonnie reports 1.2K/s block write and 1.6k/s block read.
(yes I accept the fact its old and slow)

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

------------------------------

From: Greg Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Config for G200 under XFree86
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:19:33 GMT

Hi all. I'd like to know how people have setup their Matrox G200 (8MB)
cards under XFree86, so it runs at 32bpp? The reason is that I have a
staff member here who requires 32bpp for specific applications to run,
but the best we can get out of it is 24bpp. I've read the README.MGA
file, and I've setup /etc/X11/XF86Config with these options for the
device section:

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "My Video Card"
   VideoRam        8192
   Option          "sw_cursor"
EndSection

I've added the "sw_cursor" option due to the owner complaining about
problems with the mouse cursor.

Here's the monitor setup:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "My Monitor"
   VendorName      "Philips"
   ModelName       "Brilliance 107MP"
   HorizSync       30-95
   VertRefresh     50-160
   Modeline  "1024x768"  115.50 1024 1056 1248 1440 768 771 781 802
-hsync -vsync
   Modeline  "800x600"    69.65 800 864 928 1088 600 604 610 640 -hsync
-vsync
EndSection

And here's the 32bpp setup:

SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600"
      Virtual       1024 768
      ViewPort     0 0
EndSubSection

The machine is running RH5.2, with XFree86-3.3.3.1-1.1

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL and Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:39:50 +0100

Albert Goins wrote:

> I am having DSL put in my place and have three computers to hook up.  I
> was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of hub and ethernet cards
> to buy to hook them all up.  I am looking for affordability, and
> compatability with both Win98 and Linux.  If you could tell me where to
> purchase them that would be great too.  Thanks!
>
> -Al

Micro-Anvicta, Tottenham Court Rd. Good prices, good service.

Ask them for a D-link hub, and a few NE2000 compatable cards. Read up on
IP Masquerading, and firewalls.

gus

P.S. All the best.
P.P.S. Closest landmark you would know to Micro-Anvicta is probably
Heathrow.

------------------------------

From: Varouxis John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and Epson 740
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:59:59 +0300

I'd like to buy an Epson 740 and I want to know if is possible to print
from linux (RH 5.1 kernel:2.0.35)

Thanx in advance
--
Varouxis John    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Software Engineer
                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP:Upgrading to RedHat 6.0 "fouled" up my system
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:16:10 +0200

Tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the the RedHat 6.0 core system upgrade. Unfortunately,
> it did not come with a boot floppy. That seems pretty lame, since in the
> installation manual it says that if I am running an Intel based system,
> which I am, then I will need to use a boot floppy.

  It _is_ pretty lame.

  But contrary to the other post I would think that the boot images are
on the CD-ROM you purchased. Something like /cdrom/images/boot.img.

  You then need a floppy (format it prior to upgrading to make sure itīs
working), then you can write the image with "dd
if=/cdrom/images/boot.img of=/dev/fd0" to the floppy. The dd-command is
dangerous, so please read the man page!

  If you purchased a CD, documentation for upgrading can be found on the
CD (I think).

  Oliver

#include <std-disclaimer>