Subject: Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jul 1999 07:02:20 -0400

"Mike Coakley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am having trouble installing a RedHat 6.0 installation onto a Compaq
> Proliant 4000 with the NCR53C710 controller. The installation simply cannot
> find the controller and cannot continue without it. (I know I shouldn't be
> saying this...) I can install MS WinNT without any problems and the
> controller is recognized and the system boots off of this controller/HD.
> Does anyone out there have any ideas?

did you try `expert mode'?  you can load specific modules to the
kernel used during installation.  not having used your particular scsi
adapter, i think `53c7,8xx.o' would be the proper module to load.

fwiw here are the scsi modules for redhat's 2.2.5-15 kernel installation

53c7,8xx.o    aha1542.o   eata_pio.o   initio.o     qlogicfc.o    tmscsim.o
AM53C974.o    aha1740.o   fdomain.o    megaraid.o   qlogicisp.o   u14-34f.o
BusLogic.o    aic7xxx.o   g_NCR5380.o  ncr53c8xx.o  scsi_debug.o  ultrastor.o
NCR53c406a.o  atp870u.o   gdth.o       pas16.o      seagate.o     wd7000.o
a100u2w.o     dtc.o       ide-scsi.o   ppa.o        sg.o
advansys.o    eata.o      imm.o        psi240i.o    sym53c416.o
aha152x.o     eata_dma.o  in2000.o     qlogicfas.o  t128.o

if `53c7,8xx' doesn't work, try some of the likelier ones.

hope this helps.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Yu. Sidorenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mitsumi CD-ROM
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:30:33 +0400

Brian Hartman wrote:

> De Geeter Jef wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > >This has a Mitsumi double speed CD-ROM drive with its own interface
> > >(not IDE). The model number is CRMC-FXOOD.
> > I had the same problem with a Sony cd-rom 2x drive (cdu-33A) with his
> > interface on a
> > Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro. The Linux installation gave the following
> > error message:
> > "I can't find the device anywhere on your system!"
> >

> Before you go and buy another drive (if you haven't already) try typing
> sbpcd=[baseaddress],SoundBlaster at the linux boot prompt.  That ought to
> work.  You just need to know the base address of your CD-ROM, of course.

I have very similar problem with CD-ROM Funai E2800UA (Panasonic
interface) connected to soundcard on base ESS688. I've tried
"sbpcd=IO-address, SoundBlaster" with the same result: "I can't find the
device anywhere on your system!". Actually my CD has IO=0x300 and IRQ=3.
With "sbpcd=0x300,3" I've seen a flashing LED on CD and became a message
like "Problems with mounting device /dev/sbpcd". It's my best result :(

What can do else?

Yu.Sidorenko

PS. Please, answer by e-mail

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanning scsi-drives
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:26:45 -0500

Kent Nilsen wrote:

> Hello, is there a simple way to see what disk is /dev/sd? Let's say I have 2
> controllers, and several different-sized disks, how do I see what /dev/sd?'s
> are available? In Solaris, I used to boot -r and the new disks were added as
> devices. This gave me a good overview. In Linux all devices are already
> present.
>
> Kent

Try...

        cat /proc/proc/scsi

There may be other things in the /proc/scsi directory that have
additional info.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher W. Aiken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Epson 740
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:23:30 -0400

Works for me.  See: http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html
for drivers.

...cwa

Varouxis John wrote:

> I'd like to buy an Epson 740 and I want to know if is possible to print
> from linux (RH 5.1 kernel:2.0.35)
>
> Thanx in advance
> --
> Varouxis John    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Software Engineer
>                  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> IMS Ltd.
> Alyos 12                               115 28 Athens
> Tel: 0030 1 7215603                    Fax: 0030 1 7210097
> Mobile:0030 97 7779194                 ICQ: 27680293

The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

Definition of Windows 95:
A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:27:55 -0500

Kent Nilsen wrote:

> Hello, is there a simple way to see what disk is /dev/sd? Let's say I have 2
> controllers, and several different-sized disks, how do I see what /dev/sd?'s
> are available? In Solaris, I used to boot -r and the new disks were added as
> devices. This gave me a good overview. In Linux all devices are already
> present.
>
> Kent

CORRECTION!!!

Try...

        cat /proc/scsi/scsi     <== corrected!!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Rehm)
Subject: Linux on Toshiba Satellite 4060?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 11:18:07 GMT

Hi there,

I plan to buy a Toshiba Satellite 4060 as a dedicated Linux box.
Does anyone have experiences running Linux on this machine?

Greetings from Germany,
        Georg
--
Georg Rehm                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                  http://www.cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de/~georg/

------------------------------

From: "Mike Coakley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:49:44 -0400

Johan,

Thanks for the response. I have gone through expert mode and made sure that
the 53c7,8xx.o module is the one loading. (Using ALT-F3 and ALT-F4 give you
a wealth of information during installation.) Is there some generic SCSI
module that I can try. (I think I have tried all of the available modules
though.)

What I would also like to know is if any know who or how I can find out who
wrote this module and how to contact them. The author is the authoritative
knowledge and I figure if he/she can't figure it out no one can.

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Kent Nilsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:07:02 GMT

Thanks! And I can assume that the disk on the top is /dev/sda, next is
/dev/sdb etc?

Kent R. Nilsen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Date: 14 Jul 1999 07:40:42 GMT

In comp.arch.storage Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Did that, also tried /dev/tape, a softlink to nst0.  Its reported by

If mt -f /dev/nst0 status shows a drive and a tape in the drive,
are you running that command as the same user as kdat ?

If not, try
   chmod 666 /dev/nst0
just for a test.

------------------------------

From: Dominique Stender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New SBLive! drivers!!
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:40:56 +0200

Hey Folx.
I just wanted to announce that Creative has released the 0.30 version of
their drivers for the Soundblaster Live! Family. I run Redhat 6.0 with
Kernel 2.2.10 and they work flawlessly.
Grab the driver at http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/

Enjoy!
   Dominique

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:38:03 -0500

Kent Nilsen wrote:

> Thanks! And I can assume that the disk on the top is /dev/sda, next is
> /dev/sdb etc?
>
> Kent R. Nilsen
>
> Robert C. Paulsen, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >         cat /proc/scsi/scsi <== corrected!!!
> >
> > There may be other things in the /proc/scsi directory that have
> > additional info.

On my system there is more info in the boot messages (which can be
retrieved with the dmesg command):

scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DCAS-34330    !#  Rev: S63A
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DDRS-39130W       Rev: S97B
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: AIWA      Model: TD-20001          Rev: 0159
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: E.08
Detected scsi removable disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-32TS    Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi0: Target 0: Queue Depth 28, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 15
scsi0: Target 1: Queue Depth 28, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 15
scsi0: Target 4: Queue Depth 3, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 7
scsi0: Target 5: Queue Depth 3, Asynchronous
scsi0: Target 6: Queue Depth 3, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 15
scsi : detected 3 SCSI disks total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8467200 [4134 MB] [4.1 GB]
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17850000 [8715 MB] [8.7 GB]
sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdc : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
sdc : extended sense code = 2
sdc : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.

Note that this identifies sda, sdb, etc.

In mine above, sdc is a zip drive without a disk in the drive so
the system can't read its size.

From: Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:11:47 -0700

Ken wrote:

> Ok, getting a card-based camera sounds like the best option. Now I'm
> wondering whether I should target CF or SSFDC formats? I looked at the
> SSFDC website (http://www.ssfdc.or.jp) and it implies that SSFDC is only
> available up to 8mb.[SNIP]

Nope. They are available at 16MB (and perhaps 32MB...can't recall) but
their
form factor limits capacity and the technology involved limits the
number
of vendors who can make them. Most companies buy them from the 2 or 3
companies
that make them and then just re-label and sell them.

> Is the site out of date? I'm seeing reference to 48
> mb and 64 mb CF cards [SNIP]

I know a guy who owns a company that makes these...and they're available
at
96MB (I borrowed one at this size). There are much larger ones that are
either already available or soon will be.

> BTW, anybody have experience designing equipment that uses these
> formats? I'm designing a new gadget that will need Flash memory and I
> might go with a card slot instead of soldered-down chips and serial
> downloading. I figure anything that can read a PCMCIA hard disk will
> read either format, but just want to confirm that.[CHOP]

You are, somewhat correct. Compact Flash ("CF") cards look just like a
PCMCIA card to the host. SSFDC cards (SmartMedia) have no brains, but
can
be installed into a PCMCIA adapter and then be used the same way.
CF cards are much harder to wire to, but bigger, more rugged, more
available.
Go to Toshiba or Samsung to download complete specs on SSFDC.

-Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: QUE: SCSI Yamaha 4416S not recognised
Date: 14 Jul 1999 13:25:31 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware omni.voicenet.com@email_address wrote:
> hi there

> use ctrl+a  to gt to the adaptec scsi controller configuration menu, then turn off

> INITATE WIDE NEGOTIATION  then itll work

Thank you very much for your answer.
I will try it at home today.

Can you please tell me something more:
If I turn off INITIATE WIDE NEGOTIATION what will happen?
I mean, what does INITIATE WIDE NEGOTIATION do?

many thanks in advance,
mihalis.

--
----
Mihalis Tsoukalos               email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sincero arcadio)
Subject: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice.
Date: 14 Jul 1999 13:28:29 GMT

        I've acquired 8 2GB _differential_ wide SCSI harddrives for a
fairely cheap ($21.00 a piece cheap) price, and I'd like to set up a RAID
box using Linux software RAID with them.  Some of the issues I need advice
on are: the controller, the cabling, and the power.

        After a number of days of searching, I finally found somebody
selling PCI differential SCSI controllers for a reasonable price.
Actually, this guy as two kinds: a QLogic controller for $99 and a Symbios
one for $125.  The QLogic controller is a QLA1041 and the Symbios one is a
SYM8751D.  I'd go with the QLogic one here, but problem is I'm not sure if
it'll work in Linux.  Should I go with the Symbios one instead?

        The second issue is cabling.  Now a couple of people have told me
that for differential drives you need differential cabling and that normal
SCSI cabling won't do.  But after doing a DejaNews search, I've come
across a post which implied that if I don't need to have really long
cables then normal cabling will do (just use the Good Stuff instead of the
Cheap Stuff).  Can anybody here offer me a definite yes or a definite no
on this?

        And finally, what kind of power supply will I need?  Is 250watts
insufficient for 8 drives?  What would happen if the power supply is not
powerful enough (i.e. will it simply not turn on or will it explode ;-))?
What kind of power supply would I need to drive 8 differential SCSI
drives?

        Many thanks in advance for any help on this!

---
Arcadio Alivio Sincero Jr.
Computer Science Major, University of Maryland Baltimore County

WWW: http://www.sinceronet.ddns.org (COMING REAL SOON NOW(tm)!!!)
E-Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Snail mail: P.O. Box 2081, Annapolis MD, 21404-2081

"Hookt on fonix werked fer mi!"

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floating Point Exception on Cyrix with MP3s
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:42:33 -0400

I had a very similiar problem with an Intel P120 locking up.  At first I
thought it was the HD, then then RAM, but finally it turned out to be heat.
I could rip a whole CD if I left the case off (which I did one night just
cause I was too tired to screw it down).  This machine would work 24x7 until
I ripped CDs.  That was the only time it went to 100% CPU for any length of
time.

I ended up just swapping it with a spare K5-166.

Jeff Volckaert

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jul 99 08:58:25 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Marc SCHAEFER;

 MS> In comp.arch.storage Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 MS>: Did that, also tried /dev/tape, a softlink to nst0.  Its reported by

 MS> If mt -f /dev/nst0 status shows a drive and a tape in the drive,
 MS> are you running that command as the same user as kdat ?

 MS> If not, try
 MS>    chmod 666 /dev/nst0
 MS> just for a test.

Did that, no change.  kdat never touches the scsi bus, just opens a
small window and reports "no tape in drive".  There wasn't this time, but
since it never touched the bus, I have no idea how it could know.
Neither dmesg, nor /var/log/mesages contains any error messages from
numerous attepts to mount the drive/tape.

Next? :)

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net