  Re: RH 6.0 & 3C905C TXM Problems (DM)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 14:11:05 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>In article <7mfilk$s0d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>>>Coming back from a hiatus from the computer, i c the lil' fud gremlins have
>>>been busy:)
>>>
>>>In article <7m8p8t$1a8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>>Reducing the ide mode reduces the speed from overclocked back to normal.
>>>

>>It reduces PERFORMANCE you thick head!
>
>Yes, it reduces performance.  What happens to the performance when you
>overclock the bus?:)

Timing gets off.

Do you know what happens when you arrive to the train station only to
discover the train left early?

Bingo.

>>Not even the overclocking newgroup recommend any form of 83MHz use against
>>the hard disk.
>

>I havn't made any recommendation to use 83MHz bus.

But you almost did.

Overclocking with any other means other than a 100Mhz bus is risky.

>>><response: snip, snip, blah, abit bad, blah, very bad, snip, boo, snip>
>>>

>>>Again, there's more motherboard manf. than just abit.  Fixation?:)
>>>

>>I prefer other brands, thank you.
>

>AGAIN, fine.  If that's your preference, great.  There's other manf. to
>choose from besides abit.  Your the one who keeps harping about abit even
>after repeated responses saying great use someone else.

>guess.

>>>"No.
>are
>>>NOT

>>>Your tally is a joke Chris:
>>>14/15quake in two resolutions, ha!, 5/6 cpu/fpumark synthetic tests, 9
>benches
>>>the hd, cpu has minimal impact, 10 benches video, functions long since moved
>>>onto video cards, 9-12 breakdown of photoshops average score, 1&3 averaged
>>>score of single threaed apps from 4.  Sheesh, who'd you think you where
>going
>>>to fool?
>>

>>Who are you trying to fool?
>>
>>The bottom line is that dual SMP (and the vast majority of users do
>>agree) does not benefit for majority of situations NO MATTER WHAT THE
>>REASON IS.
>
>You tried to add up things where it was already counted(the averaged scores of
>the singles) or where the cpu has little or no impact(hd & video benchmarks)
>or the best one of all, quake in different resolutions:)  To avoid having to
>respond to this we've moved onto 'the bottom line':)  OK.  Vast majority of
>users use w95/98, play games, & surf the web, with some money management &
>word usage on the side.  If were going to talk about the better system for

All of which dual Celerons are darn useless.

>them it'll be a single celeron over a k63 because of games(and the vast
>majority of users do agree:).  & ignoring the performance issues, there's
>the little issue of cost.

How can a single Celeron be better?  The only thing it's better are for
games and the K6-III is just about better for anything else.  More over,
with each passing day, more and more 3DNow applications are hitting the
market, reducing the Intel advantage even further.

Let's see what has been released recently in a matter of few weeks:

New TNT2 drivers, already with 3DNow and improving greatly their
stability with Super 7 systems.
New ATI Rage 128 drivers, with 3DNow and Athlon optimizations
Matrox G400, a new card with 3DNow
Descent 3, a game with 3DNow support
Aliens vs. Predator, another game with 3DNow support
Requiem, still another game with 3DNow support
Viper Racing, and yes another game with 3DNow support
A new version of Winampm, an MP3 player with 3DNow support

>>>duals, oc'ing, multithreaded, multiprocess, multitasking.
>>
>>You're really dim about all these do you?  SMP is useless if
>>multithreading, multiprocessing and multitasking is I/O, user input
>>bound, and synchronization/locking dependent---and the majority of
>>applications are written like this.
>

>smp is not useless if there isn't multithreading.  make isn't multithreaded.
>It intiates mutiple processes.  Single process apps can still benefit from
>smp: you start more than one instance or run more than one program at a time:
>multitasking.  If an apps performance isn't cpu bound then why would you
>agrue any cpu is better for such cases?

You're so thick in your head.  Multiple processes don't mean shit if
they're I/O, input and synchronization-semaphore bound.   Because so
many applications hog the interface if their main process is busy, the
main interface can't even respond to your commands until the main
process is finished.   You can avoid that with Linux and Unix because
you can switch to a new terminal window, but Windows has a more
synchronization-semaphore dependent user interface, which makes it more
difficult for the rest of users out there.

Single processor performance on dual CPU systems also suffer because
each processor suffers a near half loss of their bandwidth.  Each
processor has to contend on the same bus to the chipset (unlike the K7
EV6, where each processor has independent buses to the chipset).

><snip, snip, attempts to flaim, snip, snip>  note: flaim definition below.

>>>23.5%:)
>of
>only
>>>spend
>>>attain
>>>performance

>memory

>as

>>>We've gone over what apps & none of them were 'expensive workstation class
>>>types'.  Those are a bonus:)<snicker>:)
>>
>>Sure, sure, sure.
>>
>>Give me some prices.

Cat bite your tongue?

>>>I beg to differ about nobody chance taking & unproven.  So would motherboard
>>>manf., slot 1 converter manf., hardware vendors, system vendors, & end
>users.
>>>
>>It's unproven enough.
>
>From my first reply, obviously not.
>
>>No business would attempt to use it for serious work.
>
>I havn't been arguing business users would use overclocked parts & systems.
>But we could always email vendors from the above mentioned groups & ask if any
>businesses use their products.

A lame answer.

>>><new windows slogan>:P
>>>'where do you want to <multi-task> today?':)
>>
>>Not with unproven crap like this.
>>
>>By the way, where is your machine?
>

>What's that supposed to mean?  If it means what I think it does, that's weak,
>really weak.  What, all the results from url's not good enough anymore?

The results from the URLs were not even good enough for your case to
begin with.    Only one out of 15 examples cited showed enough
improvement to make it worthwhile.

>you'll
>>>performance(dual),
>advantage
>>>of

>>>For the business user & the timid, they can opt not to overclock & choose
>just
>>>the much better performance instead of the astoundingly better performance
>>>category:)
>>>

>>They can opt for something that works reliably day by day.
>

>duals are unreliable eh?

I have been surveying about dual overclock Celerons, and there is enough
cases of reported problems that I would consider its reliability to be
of an experimental nature.

In short, fun to dabble with, but not to rely it for important work or
data.

>>>Keep the flaim bait to yourself; they have no place on newsgroups:)
>>>

>>What is "flaim"?
>
>http://www.users.bigpond.com/ajbower/MVDictFL.html
>
>To maim someone emotionally with a flame.  Though I did err in that I should
>have used flame or reworded the sentence.

>>>Keep the flaim bait to yourself; they have no place on newsgroups:)
>>>

>>You're really out of intelligent answers do you.
>>
>>You're nailed on the hole, I can see.
>
>We've been going at it for awhile now under more than one thread(ha! the
>irony:)  I feel we've put enough out there for anyone reading to decide
>what's what.  Just do a deja.com search, ya'll:)

The market has pretty decided that for the vast majority, SMP is a
dubious feature.

Rgds,

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 14 Jul 1999 14:16:41 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Hsieh) writes:
>In article <7lkidn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> I am a Ph.D. student at Lehigh and recently assembled myself a Celeron
>> machine running at 488 Mhz (overclocked from 433). I was very curious about
>> its performance compared to regular Pentium IIs in scientific computing. I
>> ran a mathematical optimization package called CPLEX on my machine and on a
>> regular Pentium 400. The result is that the regular Pentium II outperforms
>> my machine (celeron 488) by about 10%. Extrapolating from here I conclude
>> that the Pentium performs about 25% faster than an equally clocked Celeron
>> in intensive computing tasks. Therefore for fractals and chess expect a
>> similar behaviour.
>
>You data point does not lead to the conclusion you have made.  The
>primary difference between the Celeron and the P-II is that the P-II has
>a *larger* L2 cache and is based on a 100Mhz BUS.  A Celeron is based on
>a 66 Mhz bus (or in your case a 75Mhz bus, I suppose.)
>
>The FPUs in these CPU are identical, and thus their performance is
>related entire on clock rate.  Most fractals use very little data to
>generate, and thus will rely entirely on the FPU performance.  I would
>thus expect that fractals would be entirely clock rate dependent.
>
>Chess programs vary from implementation to implementation, however Rebel,
>which is a very strong PC program, apparently is highly dependent on
>Cache size (according to the author.  See http://www.rebel.nl/bench.htm)
>I have a hard time believing that a chess program would use floating
>point over fixed point.  Thus you would expect that this chess program,
>at least, to do somewhat better on P-II than a Celeron at the same clock
>rate (but its probably pretty close).

According to those Rebel benchmarks, it would be a damned surprise if th
benchmark is even cache dependent, considering the numbers they got
there even has K6-2's faster than Xeons of the same clock speed (K6-2
450 vs Xeon 450).

Rgds,

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: NCR 53C710 Fast SCSI-2 Controller
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:33:43 GMT

There was some traffic a few months ago about this controller. I have
one on my Compaq 486 and use an adaptec controller to boot linux. As
near as I can tell this controller IS NOT SUPPORTED! Period.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

cheers,

db

------------------------------

From: Tom Mulder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Headless Multia?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:46:42 +0200

It's running with only a power, ethernet and a serial cable
and i have NO problems at all

--
---
Tom Mulder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alfred Molon)
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Compact Flash vs. SSFDC Smart Media
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:59:37 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Ok, getting a card-based camera sounds like the best option. Now I'm
> wondering whether I should target CF or SSFDC formats? I looked at the
> SSFDC website (http://www.ssfdc.or.jp) and it implies that SSFDC is only
> available up to 8mb.

32 MB Smartmedia cards are available.

--
Alfred Molon

===================
Replace NOSPAM with csi to reply

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: FWD- Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:59:19 -0700

==============FWD====================
 Posted 14/07/99 12:06pm by Mike Magee

 Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming

 Several Japanese sites are billing an adaptor which allows the
conversion of Pentium Pro's Socket Eight to a Socket 370
configuration.

 The systems are set to arrive in early August, and will allow single
and dual Socket Eight motherboards to take Celeron S370 processors at
multiple speeds, again in single and dual combos.

 The Pentium Pro came in speeds of 100, 150 and 200MHz, so the upgrade
may give old systems a boost.

 No prices are yet available, but Intel said that it did not support
such third party adaptors.

 At one time, Intel used to get additional money for its old
processors by offering so-called Overdrive upgrades. But that business
no longer exists.

 Intel did create an Overdrive for the Pentium Pro, allowing systems
to be upgraded to a Pentium II/333 with full speed on-die cache, our
Mr Sherriff points out. ®

SOURCE- http://theregister.co.uk/990714-000010.html

*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

------------------------------

From: "basic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xf86config+i740
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:54:27 -0700

Hi, I have been trying to set up my system for my i740 (Diamond StealthII)
card. I install the XBF - i740 glibc and the xf86config to help set it up.
The video section is set up beautifully but the new xf86config screws up my
MS intellimouse. I have absolutely no mouse control, but beautiful video. As
soon as I touch the mouse it move to a high corner and quits responding. In
the xf86config....mouse setup section, I have tried virtually all the
options.
Does anyone have any suggestion?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 14 Jul 1999 14:52:17 GMT

Colin Andrew Percival ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: David T. Wang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: : : : Did anyone tell you that you're a snoop?
: : :   No, that's what the cache is ;-)
: : Wow! processors that snoop the address bus and actually checking
: : their cache states against the MESI protocol?  Amazing!

:   Hey, not all caches use MESI.  H&P only describe an ESI cache.

Really?  I was pretty sure that they describe a couple different one's,
including MESI.

: Colin Percival

--
main(){while(1){switch(rand()%7){case 0:printf("Illogical.\n");break;case 1:
printf("Balderdash.\n");break;case 2:printf("Non sequitur.\n");break;case 3:

From: DM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 & 3C905C TXM Problems
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:26:19 -0700

That's why you either build your own machine, or buy one designed for
Linux!