From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ambrose Kofi Laing)
Subject: toshiba 2530cds networking problems
Date: 14 Jul 1999 12:19:37 -0000

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has had any success getting networking to work
with Linux.  We have SuSE 6.1 (kernel 2.2.7) and Mandrake 6.0 (kernel 2.2.9)
available.

Our network card is a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CXFE57BT (10/100 ethernet lan).

Has anyone has any success connecting this to a network?  Are there appropriate
drivers for it -- si there anything special one has to do?

Thanks,

Ambrose

------------------------------

From: laurent collot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Matrox Meteor Frame Grabber installation...
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:44:46 +0000

Juergen Baier wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> Has somebody experience with installing a Matrox Meteor Frame Grabber
> Card to get pictures from a microscope ? I found some software on the
> net, connected with a lot of kernel-changes and the pictures taken are
> saved in a compressed format. My pictures are taken for data analysis
> reasons, so data-loss while saving (compressed) is not acceptable.
> Please give me a hint where I can get some software to deal with my
> card...
>
> Thank´s a lot,
>
> Juergen

Dear Linux Frame-Grabber chaps

We are using a matrox Meteor I (not II !)  with the Real World-developped
drivers (www.rwii.com).
On a fast system (PII 500MHz) we are able to capture movies to memory up
to approx 512x576 resolutions in 8lum+4+4 PAL mode, without losing a
single frame (well, earlier versions of the device drivers had a bug in
PAL mode...). It is quite a performance for a card which has a ridiculous
tiny fifo (1k!).

The signal-to-noise ratio of this card is quite good for a mid-priced
card (about .5 bit RMS) at the lowest possible gain setting for about
.6vPP input.
You'd better check the system (PPRO, PMMX, PII...) you are to run the
card on, since certain versions are incompatible (hardware problem due to
a bug in some Intel chip-sets when more than one DMA channel are used) in
certain video modes : look at the driver pages. Finally several version
of the card where made (B/W, RGB and versions with an extra
PCI/PCI bridge in an attempt to fix the DMA bug).

The general page http://www.atlantek.com.au/USERS/wes/linux/frame.html
about linux device drivers is very informative.
You may download the Meteor driver from :
ftp://ftp.rwii.com/pub/linux/system/Meteor/
Good luck!

Dr. Laurent Collot
Paris

------------------------------

From: "Thierry ANDRIAMIRADO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: /dev/lp0 nor /dev/lp1 getting detected
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:22:38 +0200

Hello I really need to have some resumes printed, so here I am:

as mentioned above, Linux can't detect my /dev/lp0 nor /dev/lp1. It worked
fine before the RH5.2 to RH6 upgrading.

I thought it was because of my soundcard and the isa PnP tools, as my Linux
Box is an isa one (i486). I tried so many things, de-slotted the soundcard,
updated to kernel 2.2.5-22 and to the last -RedHat- 'dev' package, but it
doesn't works. Here's some details:

- after the RH5.2 to RH6 upgrade, my '/dev/lp' symbolic link desappeared. I
re-created it.
- of course, PrintTool doesn't find any /dev/lpx with a printer attached
- 'cat test.file >/dev/lp1' returns a not found device message, even an 'ls
/dev/lp?' shows the three /dev/lpx
- the parallel port (/dev/lp1) never appears in /proc/ioports nor in
/proc/interrupts:

Here is my /proc/ioports: (the parallel port, /dev/lp1, should be at 0378)
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
0300-031f : NE2000
0330-0333 : MPU-401 UART
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
0620-0623 : sound driver (AWE32)
0a20-0a23 : sound driver (AWE32)
0e20-0e23 : sound driver (AWE32)

and my /proc/interrupts (/dev/lp1's irq should be irq7):
           CPU0
  0:     146854          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        724          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:        103          XT-PIC  serial
  5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:        755          XT-PIC  NE2000
 13:          0          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      56615          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          5          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

and finally, my /etc/printcap:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA a4 {} U_EpsonStylusColor stc500p {}
lp:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/lp1:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

It's not a hardware problem. When Linux initialize the printer during
boot process, it seems ok!

As I need to print my resumes it really annoys me, makes me crazy!
Any ideas please?

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP:Upgrading to RedHat 6.0 "fouled" up my system
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:24:19 -0500

Tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just purchased the the RedHat 6.0 core system upgrade. Unfortunately,
> it did not come with a boot floppy. That seems pretty lame, since in the
> installation manual it says that if I am running an Intel based system,
> which I am, then I will need to use a boot floppy. Well, I had a boot
> floppy from my previous install of RedHat 5.0, so I though that I would
> "get lucky". BIG mistake. I got through most of the install but it died
> at the point where it has to install the boot loader. I can still boot
> up but none of the Xwindows functions work, I suspect because the video
> drivers were improperly set.
>
> Does anyone know whewre I can get a boot floppy for RedHat 6.0 and try
> this whole thing again?
>
> Thanks
> Tom
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The installation floppy may be copied from the RH6.0 CD using rawwrite.exe
under Windows or DOS or using dd with Linux.  It is in the images
subdirectory.
You may also be able to set your BIOS to boot from the CD in which case
you don't need the boot floppy.

If you go through it again and choose upgrade again,  there is a good
chance that
it will all work.   In one of our upgrades, we experienced some sort of
problem part way through and the upgrade was terminated.   We then
did it over again and it all worked.   Since the upgrade is done by a
version of Linux copied from the installation media and put in
memory---running off a ram disk---if you partial installation is
in reasonably good shape, the upgrade will probably succeed.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Lev Gelb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on Compaq Deskpro EP, recent version?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:25:22 -0400

Hi - has anyone successfully installed any version of
linux on a recently purchased 'stock' Compaq Deskpro EP ?

Thanks,

Lev

Lev Gelb                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://www.pitt.edu/~gelb
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Chemistry, 905 Chevron Science Center
Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA                ph:(412)624-1217,  fax:(412)624-8611
"if you're not part of the solution, you're
          part of the precipitate"              ---- Steve Wright

------------------------------

From: "Jongmin Shin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: [Help!] X window setup for Trident 3DImage 9850 AGP
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:40:28 GMT

I set the video server to 'SVGA'.  And I also set the monitor as 'custom'.
That's all...  :-)
Then, the X window can be invoked using startx command at the shell prompt.

Maybe you need set your monitor more exactly using your monitor manual, I
think.

I'm sorry for my brief explanation, but as you know I'm not so lucky with my
video card.

Good luck with you.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote at <7m53ub$cnb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:19:45 -0500
From: Paul Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT2 Ultra and OpenGL/MesaGL

We are using both the TNT and TNT2 under RH 6.0.  We are VERY IMPRESSED.  We
used to use Voodoo 1 & 2 cards with MESA/etc.  The 256x256 max texture size
limited the image quality that we could achieve on the Voodoo 2.  The image
quality is much better with the TNT solution, not to mention the ability to
run in a window (we had to run the Voodoo 2 on a second monitor).  The frame
rate is about the same as with the Voodoo 1.  One thing we noticed is that
you need the 32 meg card if you want to run a high resolution desk top.  I
think that the driver only accelerates the 16 bpp mode.  This is no problem
for us.

Incidently, our 400 mhz pc achieves a higher frame rate than an SGI Octane
R10000.

This is the first release of the driver, I expect that some functions are
not fully accelerated, so there is room for improvement.

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:35:31 GMT

In article <7mi5pp$po4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:

>>>It reduces PERFORMANCE you thick head!
>>
>>Yes, it reduces performance.  What happens to the performance when you
>>overclock the bus?:)
>
>Timing gets off.

Timing speeds up.

>Do you know what happens when you arrive to the train station only to
>discover the train left early?

b29. a3. c17. ..

>Bingo.

:)

>>>Not even the overclocking newgroup recommend any form of 83MHz use against
>>>the hard disk.
>>

>>I havn't made any recommendation to use 83MHz bus.
>
>But you almost did.
>
>Overclocking with any other means other than a 100Mhz bus is risky.

Most things handle 75MHz fine, most don't for 83.  Multipliers aren't
set uniformly for many mb's so one really needs to look it up for each one.
When oc'ing past 100mhz, if the pci & agp speeds end up around what they'd be
for 75MHz then it's usually ok.

>>>I prefer other brands, thank you.
>>

>>AGAIN, fine.  If that's your preference, great.  There's other manf. to
>>choose from besides abit.  Your the one who keeps harping about abit even
>>after repeated responses saying great use someone else.

>>guess.

>>are

>>benches
>>going
>>>

>>>Who are you trying to fool?
>>>
>>>The bottom line is that dual SMP (and the vast majority of users do
>>>agree) does not benefit for majority of situations NO MATTER WHAT THE
>>>REASON IS.
>>
>>You tried to add up things where it was already counted(the averaged scores
of
>>the singles) or where the cpu has little or no impact(hd & video benchmarks)
>>or the best one of all, quake in different resolutions:)  To avoid having to
>>respond to this we've moved onto 'the bottom line':)  OK.  Vast majority of
>>users use w95/98, play games, & surf the web, with some money management &
>>word usage on the side.  If were going to talk about the better system for
>
>All of which dual Celerons are darn useless.

PHHHBB:)  you cut the sentence in half which makes moot the rebuttle you
respond with.

>>them it'll be a single celeron over a k63 because of games(and the vast
>>majority of users do agree:).  & ignoring the performance issues, there's
>>the little issue of cost.
>
>How can a single Celeron be better?

overall performance.

The only thing it's better are for
>games

yep:)

>and the K6-III is just about better for anything else.

& as you argue, the 'anything else' mostly consists of apps that are i/o, user
input, xx dependant instead of cpu.

>More over, with each passing day, more and more 3DNow applications are
>hitting the market, reducing the Intel advantage even further.

Several each day huh?:)  With the amount of accelerated apps that have
actually come out, there's still too many out there that aren't written
with 3dnow.  What's the count up to now anyway?

>Let's see what has been released recently in a matter of few weeks:
>
>New TNT2 drivers, already with 3DNow and improving greatly their
>stability with Super 7 systems.
>New ATI Rage 128 drivers, with 3DNow and Athlon optimizations
>Matrox G400, a new card with 3DNow
>Descent 3, a game with 3DNow support
>Aliens vs. Predator, another game with 3DNow support
>Requiem, still another game with 3DNow support
>Viper Racing, and yes another game with 3DNow support
>A new version of Winampm, an MP3 player with 3DNow support

I thought several each day were being released?:)

>>>You're really dim about all these do you?  SMP is useless if
>>>multithreading, multiprocessing and multitasking is I/O, user input
>>>bound, and synchronization/locking dependent---and the majority of
>>>applications are written like this.
>>

>>smp is not useless if there isn't multithreading.  make isn't multithreaded.
>>It intiates mutiple processes.  Single process apps can still benefit from
>>smp: you start more than one instance or run more than one program at a
time:
>>multitasking.  If an apps performance isn't cpu bound then why would you
>>agrue any cpu is better for such cases?
>>

>You're so thick in your head.  Multiple processes don't mean shit if
>they're I/O, input and synchronization-semaphore bound.

blah, blah, blah.

>Because so
>many applications hog the interface if their main process is busy, the
>main interface can't even respond to your commands until the main
>process is finished.   You can avoid that with Linux and Unix because
>you can switch to a new terminal window, but Windows has a more
>synchronization-semaphore dependent user interface, which makes it more
>difficult for the rest of users out there.

blah.

>Single processor performance on dual CPU systems also suffer because
>each processor suffers a near half loss of their bandwidth.  Each
>processor has to contend on the same bus to the chipset (unlike the K7
>EV6, where each processor has independent buses to the chipset).

As I've pointed out before, bottom line is resulting performance.
irrelevent whether you gain or lose xyz here or there.

>>>Sure, sure, sure.
>>>
>>>Give me some prices.
>>

>Cat bite your tongue?

nope, just forgot to fill it in:)  Hard to keep track of your fud at times:)
'those are a bonus' is a joke.  Apparently two smileys & a snicker isn't
obvious enough:)

>>users.
>>>>
>>>It's unproven enough.
>>
>>From my first reply, obviously not.
>>
>>>No business would attempt to use it for serious work.
>>
>>I havn't been arguing business users would use overclocked parts & systems.
>>But we could always email vendors from the above mentioned groups & ask if
any
>>businesses use their products.
>>

>A lame answer.

That's lame?  I'm serious.  We could email those guys & see what they say.
But it's beside the point because as I've already said: I havn't been arguing
business users would use overclocked parts & systems.

>>>Not with unproven crap like this.
>>>
>>>By the way, where is your machine?
>>

>>What's that supposed to mean?  If it means what I think it does, that's
weak,
>>really weak.  What, all the results from url's not good enough anymore?
>>

>The results from the URLs were not even good enough for your case to
>begin with.    Only one out of 15 examples cited showed enough
>improvement to make it worthwhile.

One out of 15?  back to your bogus tally again i c.  Besides it being just
one of the urls.

>>you'll
>>advantage

>>just
>>>>

>>>They can opt for something that works reliably day by day.
>>

>>duals are unreliable eh?
>>

>I have been surveying about dual overclock Celerons, and there is enough
>cases of reported problems that I would consider its reliability to be
>of an experimental nature.

In that case, there is enough cases of reported problems of super 7 boards
that I would consider their reliability to be of an experimental nature:)

>In short, fun to dabble with, but not to rely it for important work or
>data.

ditto. ha! heheh. aw, man, my sides hurt:) <giggle>

>>>What is "flaim"?
>>
>>http://www.users.bigpond.com/ajbower/MVDictFL.html
>>
>>To maim someone emotionally with a flame.  Though I did err in that I should
>>have used flame or reworded the sentence.

>>>You're really out of intelligent answers do you.
>>>
>>>You're nailed on the hole, I can see.
>>
>>We've been going at it for awhile now under more than one thread(ha! the
>>irony:)  I feel we've put enough out there for anyone reading to decide
>>what's what.  Just do a deja.com search, ya'll:)
>>
>The market has pretty decided that for the vast majority, SMP is a
>dubious feature.

I've already gone over this.  & for those that look up the thread, you'll see
the initial discussion wasn't over what the masses use 'puters for but
was about particular tasks.  one arguing the k63 was better for those tasks,
the other duals.  One saying the burden of prove was on me, the other giving
urls showing the performance:)  heheh.

------------------------------

From: Helmut Holle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Elsa Victory Erazor and Video4Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:17:37 +0200

Hallo,

does someone have experiences with using video-features of the ELSA
Victory Erazor under Linux and Video4Linux?

--
********************
*  Helmut Holle    *

------------------------------

From: Helmut Holle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VIA VT82C570 and Busmastering under Linux?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:20:33 +0200

Hallo,

is anyone running a VIA 82C570 Chipset with Harddisk-Busmastering under Linux?

I have a old FIC PA2000 Board with this chipset and I want to improve the speed a bit?

How to configure Linux?

Thanks for any help.

--
********************
*  Helmut Holle    *

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Backmeister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to set up an APC UPS w/ powerd?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:39:38 +0200

Hi,
can anybody tell me, how to setup the /etc/powerd.conf file right for use
with an APC UPS?
We set like this:

    serial line /dev/cua2
    monitor CTS
    failwhen low

but nothing happens, when the power cable of the UPS is pulled off.
What's wrong with our configuration, or what else do we need to set up?

TIA,
Gerald

------------------------------

From: "William" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Request help on Red Hat 6.0
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:36:22 +0800

Can anyone help me on:
(I'm using Compaq Presario 1920)
1. The PCMCIA LAN card works fine (undocked) but fail if the notebook is
docked with wedge (DVDROM)
2. Can Red Hat 6.0 support USB device (e.g. mouse)?
3. Is there any utility to display battery content?
4. I'm using NeoMagic Sound card.  Can Red Hat 6.0 support it?

If you know the answer, please help on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DSP modem = Winmodem?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:53:38 GMT

I saw a 56k, TI chipset (similar to USR) modem sell for $22. It says it
is a full dsp modem. Is it a winmodem?

From: Ken Overgard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Avermedia TV Phone (bt848) TV card not working...help!
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:01:14 -0400

Whoa, mama.  Die netscape, die.

Sorry about that.  I had disabled HTML posting, but since netscape had a
previous lockfile laying around, so it didn't save the settings for
future sessions.

Deepest apologies.

------------------------------

From: Ken Overgard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:03:38 -0400

BTW, I figured this one out...I was neglecting to insmod the tuner
kernel module.  the correct lsmod output should be:

bttv                   35012   0
tuner                   2120   1
i2c                     3160   2  [bttv tuner]
videodev                2268   3  [bttv]

Thanks anyway :)

Ken

------------------------------

From: Ken Overgard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Next problem: LIRC and AverMedia remote control
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:11:42 -0400

Lets see if this one comes out right.  I apologize if it comes out
HTMLized again (I hate netscape).

I have an Avermedia TV Phone bt848 card.

It includes a cool little remote control and an IR sensor.  I have the
TV card working (woohoo!), but I can't get the remote to work properly.

I've installed LIRC from CVS (http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~columbus/lirc)
and compiled it.  It installs a few files into /dev:

crw-r--r--   1 root     root      61,   0 Jul 13 21:17 lirc
prw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul 13 21:17 lircd
prw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Jul 13 21:17 lircm

Yet when I try to run lircd (the daemon that talks to this device), I
get the error "cannot open lirc."  Looking through the code, I note that
it dies with this error message if it cannot open /dev/lirc.  I wrote
some sample code to open the file myself and open() return ENODEV.  I
cannot cat from or echo to /dev/lirc, even as root.

Does anyone have any experience with this card that might shed some
light into this problem?

Thanks,

Ken