From: "Tony Hackenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 Ethernet Cards --- Can't Get 2d One Auto Detected/Configured; Can't Get 1st
One Deactivated
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:37:15 -0400

I cannot get LINUX to automatically deactivate my motherboard's NIC and
activate/configure my add-on NIC.

I have two Network Interface Cards (NICs) in my DELL Precision 410
workstation PC.  The first one (device=eth0) is on the motherboard.  The
second one (device=eth1) is on an add-on card.  Both are Ethernet but the
second one is faster (10/100 Mbps Ethernet).

During the initial installation of Red Hat LINUX 5.2, auto probe only
detected and properly configured the motherboard NIC (eth0).  It didn't
detect the other one (eth1).

I've been manually configuring the eth0 down and then manually configuring
eth1 up with the "ifconfig" command.  However, this does not survive a
re-boot of the PC and I repeatedly have to perform this manual
configuration.  I tried to use the graphical netconfig tool to resolve this
problem but to no avail.  I browsed around the files in /etc/init.d/rc* but
could not locate how to resolve the problem.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tony

------------------------------

From: Bill Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 Ethernet Cards --- Can't Get 2d One Auto Detected/Configured;
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:11:57 -0700

If I understand, sounds like you want to permanently shut off the onboard and
use the plug-in NIC. Have you tried shutting the onboard NIC down in bios
setup? Don't know if COMPAQ bios allows that, but thought I'd suggest it.

You can also use Network Configuration available fromt he X Control Panel to
install your second NIC (as long as there are no IRQ conflicts). Once
installed, you can also activate or deactivate either one at will.

------------------------------

From: "Prasanth Kumar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 Ethernet Cards --- Can't Get 2d One Auto Detected/Configured; Can't Get
1st One Deactivated
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:45:36 GMT

I think the kernel intentionally detects only one ethernet card. To
recognize the
second card, add information about it in /etc/conf.modules. The Redhat
manual
covers what to put there based on the card you have. After that run 'netcfg'
bring up the second ethernet device as default route.

news:EEcj3.1807$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PeterKeane)
Subject: Re: Let Linux see 2nd hard disk
Date: 15 Jul 1999 04:25:23 GMT

Use linuxconf to mount the
Win98 partition.  Go to 'Config'-'File Systems'-'Access Local Drive'

------------------------------

From: Alvin Loh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: support for Asus 3400 RIVA tnt?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:33:59 +0800

Hi,
I am a newbee here. This question has probably been ask before. Is there
any support for Asus RIVA TNT?
Thanks
Al

------------------------------

From: Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Bad Modem or bad connections?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:51:20 -0400

Hi all, this may be a stupid question, but how can I tell if a modem is
gone bad and needs replacement?
I have an internal  v90 US Robatics modem which I had been successfully
using to connect my SuSE 5.2 machine to my ISP. Now when I use ezppp to
dial in, I get connected ( I hear the usuall modem noise and I get the
written  indication that connection was made) but

1)  it takes netscape a very long time to launch now
2) pppd dies after a few of minutes.

My ISP provides no support for linux users, but claims that nothing they
have changed in their modems that could possibly slow down the
connection. Does this necessarily mean  that my modem needs replacement
, or is it possible that my configuration files are corrupted? What is
the best way to test the modem?

Thanks,
Ramin