From: "Matt Domsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help - RAID driver needed
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:20:56 -0500

I'm sorry, but the 4 channel PERC2 card does not have a Linux driver yet.
Dell is hopes to have a driver available later this year.
-Matt

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Sage Mage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TNT2 and Linux
Date: 14 Jul 1999 22:10:35 PDT

I need to know what I have to do to get a Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra to work
on my linux machine.
I have SuSE Linux 6.1 distro.

Thanx for your help,

Sage Mage

------------------------------

From: Wenyao Tsai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Need help - IRQ blocked by another device?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:44:29 -0400

I'm having major network/system problems and need help. I'm currently
running Red Hat 6.0 Kernel 2.2.5-15 smp with 2 - Pentium II 333 on a M
Technologies Stallion M668 motherboard. I have 2 - 3COM 3c905B ethernet
cards installed. My problem is that after a period of time while the
system is running I get the following message:

kernel: eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by
another device?

or

kernel: eth1: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by
another device?

After this message comes up it kill my network connections and I have to
reboot the system only for it to happen again. It sounds like an IRQ
conflict but I do not have much installed. Here is my /proc/interrupts

           CPU0       CPU1
  0:      86446          0          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        345        348    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 12:          4          9    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          0          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      26784      21357    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:       3232       2356    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:       1029       1041   IO-APIC-level  eth1
 18:        794        779   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

Here's my /proc/pci:

      I/O at 0xffffff00 [0xffffff01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfffff000 [0xfffff000].
  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com 3C905B 100bTX (rev 36).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 18.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min
Gnt=10.Max Lat=
10.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xebfeff80 [0xebfeff80].
  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: 3Com 3C905B 100bTX (rev 36).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 16.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min
Gnt=10.Max Lat=
10.

One thing that I have noticed is that my system board has set the IRQ
for the 3COM NICs to 11 and 5 yet Linux has them set to 18 and 16. I've
tried using linuxconf to set the IRQ manually but I am unable to. This
problem is driving me crazy, any information would be great.

Thanks,
Wenyao

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: isapnp error
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:36:56 GMT

In article <7mi4vb$qc2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Majid-Nikoma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to istall my ISA-Modem Aztech AZT4019 , I have this Error
in
> isapnp.conf:
> "Card1.....[My sound card, no problems]
> # Card2: (Serial identifier 71 ff ff ff ff 98 02 2a e0)
>  #Vendor Id xAJ0298, No Serial Number (-1), Checksum 0x71.
>  #Ident byte 0, (e0) differs from resource data (07)
>  # Assuming the Card is broken and this is the start of the resource
data
> unknown tag 00 ...
> Resource data dump aborted "
>
> can anybody help me ???

AZT4019 is a PCI modem, not ISA.

This card will not work on Linux because it is a Controllerless modem
(some call it winmodem). There is only driver support for Windows for
the time being.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work
Date: 11 Jul 1999 12:53:23 GMT

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
   http://www.alsa-project.org/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Sadofsky)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: serial driver on 3Com 3cxem556
Date: 14 Jul 1999 22:49:17 -0700

We're trying to install the 3cxem556B on a Toshiba Tecra 8000.
We're using RH 5.2, kernel 2.0.26, and pcmcia 3.0.5.

The ethernet driver installs, but there is a problem when the serial
driver is being loaded by card services.

Here is the relevant bit of /var/log/messages; as you can see it
doesn't even reach the point of configuring a serial device.  I've
read already that there may be trouble _using_ the serial device once
it _is_ configured since the IRQ is shared with the ethernet card on
this piece of hardware, but we haven't reached that problem yet!

Jul 14 14:11:09 localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0000-0xefff: excluding 0xe0-0xff
0x220-0x22f 0x330-0x337 0x378-0x37f 0x388-0x38f 0x4d0-0x4d7 0x530-0x53f 0xcf8-0xcff
0x1c00-0x1cff
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: initializing socket 0
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: socket 0: 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556
Ethernet/Modem
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: could not open 'cis/3CXEM556.dat': No such
file or directory
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia/3c589_cs.o'
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia/serial_cs.o'
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c589, port 0x300, irq 10, Auto port,
hw_addr 00:00:86:32:68:1C
Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost kernel: serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
Jul 14 14:11:19 localhost cardmgr[1355]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource
temporarily unavailable

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT2 and Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:53:30 -0500

download the nvidia SVGA server from www.nvidia.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew T. Linehan)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Embedding linux and changing the world
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:27:35 GMT

Check out Technologic Systems at www.t-systems.com. Bob hasn't updated
the www site yet, but I talked to him today and he thinks there latest
and greatest creation will be ready to go as early as next week.

Single Board PC, i386EX based, Flash disk, 16MB Ram, Integrated
Ethernet, 2 Serial, 1 parallel, PC104, yada yada yada....

Linux factory installed, $300 per in ones quantities.

I've been using Bob's TS-1325 ROMDOS i386EX boards for a couple years
now, and I feel so confident that this is going to be a kick but
product, I placed my advance order today.

--
+------------------------+---------------------+--------------------+
|   Matthew T. Linehan   |   AKA -=(UDIC)=-    | All Round Computer |

------------------------------

From: Moses Ling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Tech FastTrak IDE Raid
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:32:08 -0500

Did anyone ever get the Hardware Raid to work on FastTrak???
If did.... How??
Thanks!
Moses

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:31:25 -0700
From: Jason Graalum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: "A20 Gate not responding!"

==============C4CDA0C4271C2DBBBC768B5C

Howdy,

I am receiving an "A20 gate not responding error" while I'm trying to
install
SuSE 6.1.  It occurs at:

 SuSE Linux 6.1
.
.
.
Have a lot of fun ....  <---which I am!

boot:
A20 gate not responding!
boot:

And so on and so on.....

I have a hell'a old 486 with AMI BIOS. I understand what the A20
gate is, but do not know how to control it either through BIOS(which I
don't
believe is possible with my machine) or through the Boot image.

Also, this is not a dual OS system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============C4CDA0C4271C2DBBBC768B5C

begin:vcard
n:Graalum;Jason
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:Jason Graalum
end:vcard

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9=20Mar=EDa=20S=FAnico=20Gonz=E1lez?=
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:39:40 +0200

==============0CAE231F69AC946BCE519747

Ken wrote:

> The web server is at http://wearables.stanford.edu/.
>
> Your proposed price of $200 may be optimistic, but perhaps with a 386
> you might be able to hit it. Linux won't run on anything less than that,
> though.
>
> Check out the DejaNews archives of comp.arch.embedded for more
> information on embedded Linux.
>
> Jason Hihn wrote:
> >
> > So any ideas/suggestions/hardware for small embebded linux systems? If I
> > remember correctly, there is a matchbox sized Webserver running linux,
> > that is about what I'm going for, but not a web server...
>
> --
> Ken
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
> http://www.215Now.com/

I work in an university group developing linux embedded applications (we lock
linux Gnu/Debian in PC-104 boxes)
and we are much satisfied about results (in fact we have managed ourselves to
lock a linux Gnu/Debian in a 24MB
DOC and we have about 2 MB for applications). Cost of prototypes (we buy
pieces in very small quantities is about
500 $, but if you are thinking about developing large quantities you can get
similar boxes for around 300$. I am talking
about 486+DOC+32MB RAM+ ... (PCM-4823 from Advantech).
You may use 386 MB if you try linux router project etc. There are some linux
projects which manage 386 boxes, but
you will find its a bit more difficult to develop apps than using a standard
distribution.
Best Regards.
    José M. Súnico

==============0CAE231F69AC946BCE519747

begin:vcard
n:Súnico González;José María
tel;fax:913367323
tel;home:915471370
tel;work:913367366x335
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:ETSI Telecomunicación;DIE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Becario FUNDETEL
adr;quoted-printable:;;ETSI Telecomunicaci=F3n=0D=0ACiudad
Universitaria;Madrid;Madrid;28040;Spain
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:José María Súnico González

From: mike murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advice on accessing CD-ROM changer disks from Samba?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:05:04 -0500

I agree that WE will probably want to cycle thru all the disks once Each
time the explorer is opened. (much
disk thrashing ensues).      :-)

Maybe there is a way for Samba to read the disks and Export the info.
With workstations reading the Exported information.   I don't really
know yet I just set up my Linux_server with 95 workstations yesterday,
but it is an interesting question.

If I find something out I will  post.

------------------------------

From: Brad Benner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: office intranet
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:43:31 -0600

j wrote:

> looking to build an office intranet.  got the linux firewall machine
> between the adsl line and the computers. now i am looking for a 10baseT
> hub and card for the machines.  small number of computers so i only need
> a 4-8 port hub.  any suggestions as to which are best supported under
> linux?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> j.

In my experience, the 3Com cards just flat work.  Period.  No mucking about
with them to get them to work under Linux.  Of course, you'll pay a little
more....

As for hubs, well, they're pretty much interchangable as far as Linux is
concerned.  I'm running an el-cheapo 5-port on my home network and haven't
had a lick of trouble (except for running out of ports...)

--
Brad Benner

From: Tuan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My LS-120 is driving me crazy!!!
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:31:02 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Aaron Ginn wrote:
>I've about had it with my ls-120 drive.  At this point I'm ready to rip
>the thing out of my box and smash it to bits!  Here's a little history
>about me, linux, and the ls-120.
>
>I had the hardest time for about three months getting linux to even
>recognize the drive.  I tried moving the device from slave to master
>status and back on my secondary IDE controller, but it did no good.
>Finally, one day I was playing with my BIOS settings, and I thought to
>myself, "maybe I'll enable the floppy controller to see if that does
>anything".  Voila!  The next time I booted Linux, it recognized the
>drive as an ls-120, and I was able to use it fine.  All is well with the
>world at this point.
>
>Two weeks ago, I bought and installed a CD burner.  I moved the ls-120
>to my primary slave, and made the burner the secondary master.  I have
>an 32X CD-ROM as my secondary slave, and I need to keep it because my
>CD-RW only reads at 8X.  Anyway, I went to boot up again, and guess
>what!  I get the following message at boot for the ls-120:
>
>hdb: UNKNOWN ATAPI (type 16)
>
>I know what you're going to say.  Move the ls-120 back to the secondary
>master and make the CD-RW a slave.  Well, my burner only works properly
>as a master drive, so I can't do it.  If I have to, I'll sell the damn
>ls-120 and get a basic floppy drive, but this has gotten personal at
>this point!  I'm not going to let this go down without a fight!
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for me at this point?  More
>specifically, is anyone out there using an ls-120 with two CD drives?
>What BIOS settings do you have enable/disable, and how are your drives
>set up?  At this point, I wouldn't wish one of these drives under Linux
>on my worst enemy!
>
>Thanks a lot!
>Aaron Ginn

Aaron,
The problem seems to be with your BIOS setting than anything else.  I have an
LS120 running just fine on my box.  The trick is to make sure that you turn off
all floppies (A & B) as well as the floppy controller in your BIOS for the LS120
to work correctly (It is the same with WinDoze!).  My LS120 doesn't care
whether it is a master or slave drive on either primary or secondary
controller.  Just have to know where it is in the chain so you know which
device to use with it.  I have mine as a slave drive on the primary controller
so I refer to it is /dev/hdb.  BTW I am running Mandrake 6.0. Hope this help.

From: Ratz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: 2 x 3c905 @ same I/O ???
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:15:21 +0200

Sorry 4 the mess.

ratz