  Re: X on Compaq Laptop ("Jason Fagan")

From: Moritz Baumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problems with more than 3 SCSI-cdrom drives (SuSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.5)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:26:05 +0200

Hello together,
I am running SuSE 6.1 with three SCSI-Controllers (an on-board ADAPTEC
7890,
and two DAWI-Control DC-2975 U).

The hardware is connected as follows:

AIC7890:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DRVS09V          Rev: 0140
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-ROM CD-532S   Rev: 1.0A
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 09 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W      Rev: S65A
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

ncr53c8xx (Controller 1):
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 09 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W      Rev: S65A
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

ncr53c8xx (Controller 2):
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-40TS   Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

(those lines were from /proc/scsi/scsi so all devices seem to be know to
linux).

but if I issue the command scsiinfo -l it tells me:

# scsiinfo -l
/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/scd1

and a "mount /dev/sr3 (or /dev/scd3) /mnt -t iso9660" yields a:

# mount /dev/sr3 /mnt -t iso9660
mount: /dev/sr3 has wrong major or minor number

which is sort of strange since the devices seem to be set up properly
as a ls -lg /dev/sr? and ls -lg /dev/scd? show:
# ls -lg /dev/scd?
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   0 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd0
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   1 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd1
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   2 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd2
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   3 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd3
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   4 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd4
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   5 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd5
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   6 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd6
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   7 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd7
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   8 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd8
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   9 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/scd9
# ls -lg /dev/sr?
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   0 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr0
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   1 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr1
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   2 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr2
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   3 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr3
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   4 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr4
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   5 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr5
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   6 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr6
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   7 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr7
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   8 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr8
brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   9 Apr  5 01:12 /dev/sr9

any hints of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Moritz

--

------------------------------

From: "smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: X on Compaq Laptop
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:31:34 +1000

I am trying to get x to work correctly on a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop.  It
has an ATI Rage PRO LT chipset.  The display seems to work fine, but it is
appears in the left of the screen, and doesnt display the right end.  I have
tried the SVGA and Mach64 servers with the same result, and have tried
various monitor settings.

If anyone knows how its done drop me a line at

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,comp.os.linux.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Yamaha 4416S crashed Linux on bootup
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:25:52 -0700

Richard Nunez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:lW5j3.6380$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a Yamaha 4416S SCSI CD-Writer.  It workes fine under NT and Win9x,
> but when I boot up Red Hat Linux 6.0 I get a KERNEL PANIC and it FREEZES
my
> system.  This didn't not happen in Red Hat 5.2.  What could be the
problem.
> I have did all sorts of configuration with the pins in the rear but it
still
> does not work.

I have the same cd writer and red hat 6.0 and it loads fine. Make sure your
host scsi ID is 7, and you have an ID between 2-6 for your writter (mine is
3). If that doesn't solve it, linux might not support your scsi card (if you
are using one).
Mike

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Date: 15 Jul 1999 08:29:45 GMT

In comp.arch.storage Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Did that, no change.  kdat never touches the scsi bus, just opens a

How do you know ?  (and don't tell me the LED doesn't blink :))

: Next? :)

strace -e open kdat

to see if it opens the device (maybe it opens another name).

------------------------------

From: Bill Vinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting 4th button on Logitech MouseMan to work?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:10:42 -0400

I have it set up in Xfree86 3.3.1 with the PS/2 Protocol and Buttons 4.
However, the 4th button still funtions as the middle button which is the
default action when it is not recognized.  All the other protocols make
it act eratic, even the MouseMan.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: QUE: SCSI Yamaha 4416S not recognised                     solution
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:24:55 GMT

hi there

        i had to turn off the        initiate wide negotiation     in the
setup menus for my adaptec 2940 then it will work,

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:09:49, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hello to everyone and have a nice week.
>
> > I have the following problem:
>
> > My machine has an Adaptec 2940UW [or 2940U2W] SCSI controller.
> > I have a Plextor SCSI cdrom and a Yamaha 4416S CD-RW.
> > Linux cannot recognise the Yahama CD-RW.
>
> I guess it's a problem of your linux adaptec driver playing together
> with your drive. Mine works fine on a symbios chip. What I would try
> is:
>
> - check for a current BIOS for the yamaha
> - check for adaptec driver options that disables ultra scsi for that
>   drive (20MB/s downto 10MB/s)
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Daniel Dorau                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> << If a train stops at a trainstation, what happens at a workstation? >>
>        PGP key available, send mail with 'Subject: send pgp key'
>             fingerprint: 8D7E0B2F9E2E5338  DB7B24742E8B2EAE

comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc,comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.msdos.djgpp,comp.o
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EASY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:12:38 GMT

Dear ALL

Can me congratulate yesterday I has received the check from the company
TargetShop.
I was simply registered here:

http://www.targetshop.com/users/level1.asp?refId=294747,

And then has asked the friend to be registered through me.
He was registered and we completely about it have overlooked, but here
literally
Yesterday
The check on 12,5 $ has come.
Here that we have regretted, that have deserted this business.
If also you want to try that follow the following instructions.

THAT IT IS NECESSARY TO MAKE:
1. To be registered.
For this purpose it is necessary to fill in the form from two pages,
By taking advantage the reference:
http://www.targetshop.com/users/level1.asp?refId=294747

2. After registration you receive on indicated by you of email address
The letter containing a code for activation of your account, as
The references.

3. Using the obtained reference, you again will hit on  server
TargetShop, and your registration will be finished, and your account,
On which to you money will be charged, will be activated.

4. After that you receive one more letter with yours
By registration number - each, who hereinafter
Will be registered, by indicating this number, will add to yours
To the account $ 12,50.

The company TargetShop will pay to you on $ 12,50 (but all no more
$ 1000) for each user, that will be registered through
Your reference.

That is, to earn a thousand of dollars, you should involve
80 persons, which will indicate your registration number for want of
Registration. The reality of this share is determined by  that it not
The financial pyramid, is simple for direct engaging
Each new participant you receive $ 12,50 of money,
Chosen for this purpose by the organizers and advertizers.

Let's mark, that the given share is limited on time and on an amount
The participants. As soon as will be gathered, interesting for the company,
The amount (which is certain by a total sum of money, released
On the share), the registration will be stopped. So that, if not want
To be late, be registered directly now!

Earned by you $ 1000 you can receive, at your choice,
Or in cash (as the check, which you will send by mail),
Or shares of the company TargetShop.

Mean, that after registration to you one more will be accessible
The interesting mechanism to earn of money on the TargetShop server.
Be registered and look.

The registration is free! Actually, indirect payment can
To become deriving hereinafter some of advertising
The offers on that of email address, under which you registered.

So, be registered, using this reference:

http://www.targetshop.com/users/level1.asp?refId=294747

The sum, charged to you, you can receive by the check by mail.

------------------------------

From: "Kaarlenkaski, Annelie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat on Compac pressario 5670
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:27:37 GMT

Hi.

Do anyone know if its possible to load Red Hat on a Compac Presario 5670
with the LCD screen FP700??
The graphic card is a 3D Rage LT Pro from ATI, chiptype Mach 64LT.
And the screen is Compac Presario FP700.
I have tryed to set everything but no success.

Regards / Stefan

------------------------------

From: Young Jin Nam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Drivers for QLogic's QLA2100
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:49:06 +0900

Hello,

    Does anybody know if QLogic's QLA2100 (PCI-to-FC HBA) Linux driver
    is currently available? Thanks in advance.

Young Jin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: office intranet
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:07:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brad Benner wrote:
>j wrote:
>
>> looking to build an office intranet.  got the linux firewall machine
>> between the adsl line and the computers. now i am looking for a 10baseT
>> hub and card for the machines.  small number of computers so i only need
>> a 4-8 port hub.  any suggestions as to which are best supported under
>> linux?
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> j.
>
>In my experience, the 3Com cards just flat work.  Period.  No mucking about
>with them to get them to work under Linux.  Of course, you'll pay a little
>more....

Seconded.  3COM or Intel (like the EtherPro 10/100) cards are the way to go.
They both run in the $40-$50 dollar range.  I feel it's worth it.
Back when REAL DEC 2104x "Tulip" chips were available a lot of 3rd party
cards using this chipset were a good buy.  Now however, many 3rd party
cards use DEC Tulip clone chips or other chips.  The one I bought for $20.00
was extremely flakey under Linux.  (It's now running fine on a Win98 box
on the same network.)

I suggest sticking with 3COM or Intel - the lack of frustration in not having
to debug a problematic card is worth it.

Jeff

--
Jeff McWilliams - Advanced Development Engineer, ACE Technologies

From: Daniel Buettner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Getting printer, sound working
Date: 15 Jul 1999 13:12:29 GMT

Nick Tyrrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have two printers attached to my PC:

> LPT1:    Minolta PagePro 6L
> LPT2:    Lexmark 1100

> I have SuSE 6.1 installed.  Neither printer seems to be supported in YaST.

> Any hints on how to get at least one of these working?
I suspect that the Lexmark 1100 is a windows-only GDI printer.  I don't
think you will beable to use it under Linux.  I know nothing about the
Minolta printer -- if it speaks PCL or PostScript you will beable to use
it.  But I have no idea whether or not it does.

> Also, I have a cheapo SB-compatible (it says here, although it uses its own
> drivers under Win98) sound card.  I can find very little in the SuSE manual
> about getting a sound card set up (other than "it's not straightforward").
> Any pointers?
Since you are using SuSE, the easiest way is to use OSS (assuming that
you have an ISA sound card).  I think OSS is listed somewhere under the
commercial application packages (in YaST) or something.  Once it is
installed, it is extremely easy to set up a card; just run the
soundconf program and it *should* auto-detect your card and things will
work.

HTH,
--
~
~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (chrisv)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:26:28 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:35:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) wrote:

> [...]

Don't any of you idiots know how to trim your posts??  400+ line posts
for this drivle?

------------------------------

From: kees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.general
Subject: Problem installing zip-drive on RH 6.0, using insmod ppa
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:31:03 GMT

Lately I have installed RH 6.0 under which I would like to install an
external parallel zip-drive. This went oke under RH 5.2, just by following
the steps described in the mini-howto. However under 6.0 "insmod ppa"
returns a lot of errors and won't do the job. Can anyone help me out here?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: 15 Jul 1999 15:57:41 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> On 12 Jul 1999 22:14:30 +0200, Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
> >
> >>    You can install linux from the network. Did you try that?
> >
> >That's what I ended up doing, which is slow and tedious and doesn't
> >work if you are trying an NFS-install instead off an FTP-install if
>
>       <scratch> I've done NFS installs on virgin systems
>       with Redhat 5.x without a problem. Infact, due to
>       their shoddy legacy cd device support, it was my
>       only option.

Well, I don't know about redhat, but SuSE 6.0 tried to mount the
install-dat before creating a filesystem (or so I gathered from the
error-message) --- not surpriesingly, this didn't work.

Sven

PS: now that I got Linux installed, the CDRom is working flawlessly...
--
 _    _  _____           Artificial Intelligence Unit
|____|_|\_\___| fax  :      +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D-22527 Hamburg
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

From: "Jason Fagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: X on Compaq Laptop
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:26:25 +0100

I am also having the same problem, any advice will be greatly received.

Help me get out of the MS trap...please.

Thanks one and all.

Jason